• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Frumix

Suffering From Success
pTJdZGe.png

Not like this

Xux

I wonder if they'll maybe tie Deltascape into
Ivalice and have Exdeath appear for revenge as Exodus and once you beat him again the Ascian Halmarut appears to take advantage of the power imbalance.

iammeiam

pTJdZGe.png

Not like this

Now is the fun part of "Okay, now we do that again, and nobody die because those two healer lb3s really could have been used elsewhere." And then multiple runs of Allagan Field guy just running off the edge because of course.

I actually really like that whole sequence since it's a bunch of coordination as everybody is trying to vent everything while still keeping healing and mitigation rolling, although it can be frustrating when you hit it high enough to know the run is doomed. But it was fun to see the Neverwhere % get lower and lower as we cleaned up our acts.

SOON, etc

I FUCKING GOT MY ACCOUNT BACK OMG IM IN TEARS.

I barely got to level 20 years ago before heavensward, Do I have to buy the expansion for QOL improvements or I have a bit of content until I get to Heavensward?

Same. Took 2 years. CC was stolen and the billing cycle hit for FFXIV the very day we had to cancel and get new ones, so there was a chargeback and instead of just letting me plug in the new CC# S-E banned my account. I tried a handful of times to get it reinstated over the years to no success but they finally did it.

Now I have no idea what to do. This happened just before Heavensward.

Guess Who

Banned
I FUCKING GOT MY ACCOUNT BACK OMG IM IN TEARS.

I barely got to level 20 years ago before heavensward, Do I have to buy the expansion for QOL improvements or I have a bit of content until I get to Heavensward?

QOL improvements don't require buying the expansion - those are patched into the original game. You don't need to pick up Stormblood/Heavensward (which are a single purchase - SB includes HW) until right when you hit level 50, because if you don't own them, you won't earn any EXP after 50 until you buy them. Until then, you aren't really missing out on anything by not having them.

Village

Really? I was getting Game of Thrones more. Where are you seeing the Star Wars out of interest?

I felt like havensward was game of thrones-ey

But yeah besides literal darth vader with a literal light saber at multiple points in the story. Just like the progression and whats it is about. The alliance, returning 4rth party included all felt like on par with the empire, or threats, the empire weren't it control, they couldn't just waltz in. They would get rocked. This puts you in the situation of litter ally being a rebel in a revolution , the different countries due to their space apart almost feel like different planets almost.Wild varances in cultures ect, I just got to the place with all the black horned Au Ra, and I got special cool dialogue because my character is one too.

But back to my point you are traveling around to these " different planets" trying to fight of the empire that is actually named the empire lead by a guy who is just darth frigging vader. And then you have the black haired doma girl who is essentially just not gross jabba the hut running around with the Rhoe with the bowlcut who is a very lame boba fett

There's just a lot of story cues, and themes, and variances in local that really scream star wars. Ontop of the old world with future shit it in aesthetic that star wars already has. It also helps that star wars is... to heavily inpsired by old japanese samurai films so a lot of the Japanese imagery in some parts really helps with that comparison.

It just really feels.. star wars-ey, and i'm like super into it

Astral

So I finally reached level 50. Does this mean all exp I get beyond this point will go to waste unless I buy the expansions? I still haven't beaten the base game so I was hoping to hold off on them.

So I finally reached level 50. Does this mean all exp I get beyond this point will go to waste unless I buy the expansions? I still haven't beaten the base game so I was hoping to hold off on them.

That is correct. You're going to have to either get that EXP with a class that isn't 50 if you have one or get the expansion if you are at the point where the MSQ is at level 50.

You'll need the expansion to get exp past 50. I recommend it before you progress any further. The patches with get you to 52ish before you get to Heavensward

Astral

That is correct. You're going to have to either get that EXP with a class that isn't 50 if you have one or get the expansion if you are at the point where the MSQ is at level 50.

You'll need the expansion to get exp past 50. I recommend it before you progress any further. The patches with get you to 52ish before you get to Heavensward

I guess I'll go ahead and buy Stormblood. I'm assuming I get Heavensward with it.

Also, I am now in Castrum Meridianum. This is the dungeon where things go to shit if you wanna watch cutscenes right?

I guess I'll go ahead and buy Stormblood. I'm assuming I get Heavensward with it.

Also, I am now in Castrum Meridianum. This is the dungeon where things go to shit if you wanna watch cutscenes right?

Stormblood will indeed get you HW.

And yup. I'd just go watch it on YouTube honestly. The dungeon after that one is the same case, thankfully it stops after that.

B.K.

I'm doing collectables to level my Botanist. When do I start getting yellow scrips so I can get the level 70 gear when I get there?

After 4 hours of wiping... finally got my o2s weekly.... man I need a raid team cause pugs are badddddd. Also.... man the healer feet dropped... I rolled 22 and the other healer rolled 6. I was in shock.

Astral

I managed to form a party for Castrum Meridianum. Accidentally went in synced lol. It wasn't bad though. It still went by pretty quickly and the cutscenes didn't feel that long. I'll do the final dungeon tomorrow.

Once I complete that, what should I do? I know there's some kind of relic weapon for each job. There are also raids and all that to get better gear correct? Should I do any of that or should I just keep going with the story all the way through? I imagine the level 50 ARR stuff is really outdated by now.

Guess Who

Banned
I managed to form a party for Castrum Meridianum. Accidentally went in synced lol. It wasn't bad though. It still went by pretty quickly and the cutscenes didn't feel that long. I'll do the final dungeon tomorrow.

Once I complete that, what should I do? I know there's some kind of relic weapon for each job. There are also raids and all that to get better gear correct? Should I do any of that or should I just keep going with the story all the way through? I imagine the level 50 ARR stuff is really outdated by now.

Just mainline the story. The ARR relics are not at all worth doing unless you just really, really want some cool looking weapons to glamour. You will get sufficient gear just progressing through the main story. At 50, you start earning Poetics tomes which you can spend on i120 gear (which can be upgraded to i130) and later i260 gear (once you hit 60), which - along with gear you'll get doing story quests and dungeons - is all the gear you will really need until you hit 70.

There are level 50 and 60 raids that you might try to do for the story, but those can wait until later. Some of them can be pretty difficult to find groups for these days anyway.

Astral

Just mainline the story. The ARR relics are not at all worth doing unless you just really, really want some cool looking weapons to glamour. You will get sufficient gear just progressing through the main story. At 50, you start earning Poetics tomes which you can spend on i120 gear (which can be upgraded to i130) and later i260 gear (once you hit 60), which - along with gear you'll get doing story quests and dungeons - is all the gear you will really need until you hit 70.

There are level 50 and 60 raids that you might try to do for the story, but those can wait until later. Some of them can be pretty difficult to find groups for these days anyway.

Does that mean my healer's robe is gonna become obsolete? It's so nice.

Omni

Goodness me, v4s. The amount of healing. Our PLD is just covering me during that stupid arse DoT because I'm grabbing hate almost instantly trying to keep everyone alive and then getting rekt by the tank buster. #WHMwoes

Think we got to 60 something percent during Neo Exdeath. Solid progress maybe. I hate the Exdeath phase at the start though. I mean it wouldn't be bad if the black holes spawned in the same locations but it's like you can be screwed over by RNG half the time. Makes it worse when you gotta do it every time you enter

scy

Goodness me, v4s. The amount of healing. Our PLD is just covering me during that stupid arse DoT because I'm grabbing hate almost instantly trying to keep everyone alive and then getting rekt by the tank buster. #WHMwoes

I feel like 90% of our issues with non-Grand Cross mechanics was "Why does Rin have threat?" and the double-edged sword that is Lucid is great for MP but also my only way to deal with my threat (besides hope it gets Provoked off and dealt with otherwise). We mostly solved it by just having AST solo heal basically all the Almagests unless I was needed to help spot heal a tick or two. Both of us healing it is excessive and if I'm just overly generating threat then simply removing mine from the equation is the easiest way. All I try to throw out most of the time is Medica 2 regens and then oGCD things to assist (aka, opener involves Med 2 + Asylum + Assize as my contributions).

Think we got to 60 something percent during Neo Exdeath. Solid progress maybe. I hate the Exdeath phase at the start though. I mean it wouldn't be bad if the black holes spawned in the same locations but it's like you can be screwed over by RNG half the time. Makes it worse when you gotta do it every time you enter

I wouldn't stress the percentage itself too much since there's a lot of smoothing out to happen over prog compared to simply getting the first half of the fight down since you deal with it again later. Except most likely with a worse set of cooldowns ready (maybe? the short break between the post-Omega Almagests is the shittiest of them to heal due to the tools available).

As for Black Holes, it depends? We get some shitty sets at times but most of the routing all four of us do involves a lot of attempted double backing and basically minimizing the space we use on the edges; it's a pretty non-strict setup as we just kind of route the space available. If it helps the timing any, ~7s on the HP Penalty is when Fire 3 pops on you and ~5s is when Holy pops so you can start being in motion to center a little into the 8s count.

Sooooo wow O3S.... this was the fight I always wanted from this game. Crazy mechanics and shite happening. I progressed with a PUG tonight.... and we got Hali at least below 65 which impressed me since it was more learning. I can't bring myself to call my parties anything other than learning yet right now as I've not seen the whole fight. I'm just glad this fight is somewhat challenging. I could probably clear it very easily with a good raid group but I still dont have one and I've been looking more than a week now. I think for now I'm going to progress in PUGS and see what my ability is in the fight. I'm obviously not clearing it this week but maybe I can get to final phase. Here's hoping I find a raid team that fits my times, lol.

Thorgal

Does that mean my healer's robe is gonna become obsolete? It's so nice.

yes it will become obsolete stat wise .

but once you reach lvl50 ( and finished the last lvl50 dungeon iirc ) you unlock a sidequest in Mor Dhona that allows you to glamour stuff with glamour prisms .
Basically, you put the appearance of one piece of gear on another one so you can keep
wearing that healers robe.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I'm doing collectables to level my Botanist. When do I start getting yellow scrips so I can get the level 70 gear when I get there?
My timers menu says the lowest lv one is at 68, the rest are lv 70. Also most of the lv 70 nodes require books so use your reds to buy the books.

Meccs

I am a bit late to Stormblood. Just had to do Susano normal/story and it was a complete disaster. People already went "oh no why this one?" at the start and then wiped two times and left.
I did read up on the mechanics and it seemed pretty easy as an AST. Even during the fight I didn't feel it was hard but one of the tanks kept on messing up. They kept on arguing about provoke and tank switching and stuff I have no idea about since I don't tank.

Is this one of the "idiot check" fights? What makes it so people don't like it and think it's "hard"?

I am a bit late to Stormblood. Just had to do Susano normal/story and it was a complete disaster. People already went "oh no why this one?" at the start and then wiped two times and left.
I did read up on the mechanics and it seemed pretty easy as an AST. Even during the fight I didn't feel it was hard but one of the tanks kept on messing up. They kept on arguing about provoke and tank switching and stuff I have no idea about since I don't tank.

Is this one of the "idiot check" fights? What makes it so people don't like it and think it's "hard"?

Susano is considered hard? It's just basic aoe dodging the entire fight lol.

During the normal version?

Damn

ch4fx_

How do I know which guardian to pick? Does it necessarily matter, or is each race "supposed" to have a different one?

I did notice in their description, some say something along the lines of -- "deity of (this starting town)", so I had been picking them based off that?

How do I know which guardian to pick? Does it necessarily matter, or is each race "supposed" to have a different one?

I did notice in their description, some say something along the lines of -- "deity of (this starting town)", so I had been picking them based off that?
Pick whatever looks cooler, they're irrelevant

rezn0r

Probably an ancient noob question but it seems worse lately, why are my screenshots so dark? Way darker than what is appearing on my screen (does it come down to needing to adjust my monitor & then in-game settings and not realizing it? all games look great on my monitor as it is). It seems worse lately too.

Maybe some relevant info:
  • Dark using both in-game screenshots and also Lightshot which I use normally for Windows/work
  • Using Reshade 3.0.7 w/just the 'No More Washed Out Colors' profile, but this was just setup recently, post-Stormblood launch, and I've felt like this was an issue since well before then. Side question: Would/should in-game screenshots show the reshade effects? I'd assume any other tools outside of the game would. Either way even with Reshade disabled this is still an issue, I was just wondering.
  • On Nvidia (680GTX, yes there's an upgrade coming soon) although I don't think that would matter much. I started to look at Ansel but it looks like FF14 isn't supported yet?

TIA!

Edit/bonus question: What are some tools you people who take awesome screenshots are using? I'm totally open to trying some more out. Lightshot isn't in any way designed for games, I just happen to also have it installed.

Gator86

Heavenward opening spoilers
holy shit, the cutscenes leading into Heavensward are the most anime shit. Everyone standing completely still yelling "we must do something",
reaction shots, your character being arrested despite having god-like powers, etc. It's basically if Game of Thrones were a really bad anime.
Hard to take any of it seriously with how goofy it is.

Astral

Is there anywhere I can see the level 50, 60, and 70 gear for each class? You know, like the iconic gear like the white mage's white and red robes and the Dragoon Kain-like armor.

Style

Banned
Is there anywhere I can see the level 50, 60, and 70 gear for each class? You know, like the iconic gear like the white mage's white and red robes and the Dragoon Kain-like armor.

Your best bet is to find the item in the official item database, then check the Images tab for them. If you are lucky, someone uploaded an image of the set you're looking for. Use advanced search to fill in level, class and set rarity to blue.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/item/

suzu

The iconic job specific gear is called artifact (or AF). You can try searching for that.

Astral

Your best bet is to find the item in the official item database, then check the Images tab for them. If you are lucky, someone uploaded an image of the set you're looking for. Use advanced search to fill in level, class and set rarity to blue.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/item/

The iconic job specific gear is called artifact (or AF). You can try searching for that.

Oh so that means I've seen the Stormblood ones. Not a fan of the WHM one.

Style

Banned
Imo the jobs always have the best AF in the patch they were introduced because it's the one from the class artwork. The first classes haven't been topped since their lvl 50 class quest stuff for me. DRK/AST/MCH hasn't been topped either.

iammeiam

I feel like 90% of our issues with non-Grand Cross mechanics was "Why does Rin have threat?" and the double-edged sword that is Lucid is great for MP but also my only way to deal with my threat (besides hope it gets Provoked off and dealt with otherwise). We mostly solved it by just having AST solo heal basically all the Almagests unless I was needed to help spot heal a tick or two. Both of us healing it is excessive and if I'm just overly generating threat then simply removing mine from the equation is the easiest way. All I try to throw out most of the time is Medica 2 regens and then oGCD things to assist (aka, opener involves Med 2 + Asylum + Assize as my contributions).

The back half of O4S is fascinating because it seems like a fight set up to play to WHM's strengths--Almagest being a damage-heavy raid buster, the eventual triple-field RIGHT BEFORE almagest, Charybdis into buster, Charybdis into soft enrage, basically all the 'crapload of AOE' followed by 'yet more AOE' seems like WHM's time to shine in prog but in literally every case it was easier to just have you pop in for help than to actually heal the thing, because the increases in potency and MP management weren't at all married with better threat handling. The fight resets aggro. There's a lot of minmaxing that can be done to work around it, but in practical terms it was much easier to save runs in prog when I was doing the heavy healing lifting because a bad death/mistimed smoke bomb/emergency lucid for MP didn't change much. 45% of my healing is shields in that fight, which means 45% of my healing generates zero threat and I still have access to the same threat dump you do. It may take me an extra GCD or two to get it out, but having shields means I can actually buy myself wiggle room in Almagest I don't think a WHM can and made it fairly straightforward to get everyone through every time from an early-ish point on.

There's a lot we did incredibly wrong--my insistence on shielding literally everything (AF can't kill us if I refuse to let the AF targets take damage!) regardless of expected followup AOE torpedo'd my personal damage--but I think our overall healer DPS contribution averages out to somewhere in the vicinity of normal since you got considerably more damage GCDs out of me running around mashing AH, and it's going to be incredibly hard to convince me at this point that there's any situation where WHM's AOE throughput is going to be preferable. Which is insane given how strong WHM AOE is, but hey. They really, really should have given Thin Air a Quelling Strikes effect. As it stands your free MP CD ends up requiring a followup MP regen CD to control threat, which is just weird.

I basically came out of O4S with a very different view of WHM's toolkit than I went in. I was expecting to care a lot more about Cure 3 than I eventually did, and ultimately find the most value in them as spot-healers with some of their oGCD or extra stuff. If they take a chunk of potency out of Aspected helios or ramp up the MP cost, it might help even things out.

Squishy3

Imo the jobs always have the best AF in the patch they were introduced because it's the one from the class artwork. The first classes haven't been topped since their lvl 50 class quest stuff for me. DRK/AST/MCH hasn't been topped either.
I think Dark Knight's Stormblood AF is really good, same for Dragoon. Ninja, Paladin and Warrior AF3 is also really strong.

Top Bottom