• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

IvorB

So now that I beat the story, I need to gear up right? I should grind for Ala Mhigan gear which is ilevel 310 I believe. Weapons, accessories, everything? Do I need to augment it as well? And after that I move on to Lost Allagan gear which looks expensive as all hell and will take weeks to get wtf. So again, weapons, accessories, everything right? And then augment them. Finally, with all of that Augmented Allagan gear, I move on to Savage content. Is this all correct?

As well as what others said: you also have dungeon gear which is i300 in the mix as well. It should help you get high enough for omega. I would make clearing Omega4 a priority since that's how you can get a strong weapon but you need a weekly token for it.

Village

Pope lady " we didn't know that everything we said was lies"

You still used that regardless of them being true or not to profit off of racism and classicism you dumb elves. You being ignorant does not make that ok you dumb elves.

This plot is made worse because my character is an Au Ra and a DRK AuRa so he knows they strait up at one point started killing his people because they looked like dragons in the name of their religion.

So on one hand, jesus these elves.

On the other hand, this plot line actually has me invested to see if they actually, acknowledge the flaws in this ideology.

Astral

you can also do normal omega for in between gear

Sort of but not quite? You can do a lot of them at the same time (earning Verity for the i310 stuff will also get you Creation for the i330 stuff, for instance) and then there's Omega Normal and crafted gear for i320. Savage gear is i340 and is pretty accessible for i320 range, at least O1S/O2S PFs anyway. The Lost Allagan stuff getting augmented to i340 requires raid drops from Savage too so that's not really interim gearing concerns.

So, basically work towards i310 gear so you can get i320/i330 pieces and then tackle Savage as your ilvl allows for PFs, basically. Your final gear set for this tier of content will eventually be a mix of Augmented Lost Allagan and Genji gear for i340 and it is expected to take many weeks to get there, which is mostly fine since the tier has another like ~4 months to it.

Basically, you'll get to i320-ish range pretty fast and then you'll slowly work your way up to i330, i340.

I can't give any specifics for shielding advice but, for me at least on WHM, the fight was a lot easier to approach once I stopped worrying about Exdeath from a "keep people from dying" perspective. That is, I only really focused on being worried for White Hole-related healing rather than a constant fear of people dropping dead outright? So no panic healing so much as what's needed to survive and placing our cooldowns for getting people to full.

Personally, placing where I wanted Plenary (I use it for the Vacuum Wave section along with Surecast) and Swiftcast/Assize/Asylum (Black Hole Holy/Flare -> White Hole) were among the bigger deals. That and learning that getting AH shields + Medica 2 up as Black Hole damage went out meant no real healing needed until the stack time made Black Hole #1 a lot simpler too.

As well as what others said: you also have dungeon gear which is i300 in the mix as well. It should help you get high enough for omega. I would make clearing Omega4 a priority since that's how you can get a strong weapon but you need a weekly token for it.

Alright thanks everyone. I'll try to get any mix that gets me to ilevel 330ish then as I work my way up to unlocking Omega Savage then.

iammeiam

Yay O3S down.

Congratulations.

O4S kinda reminds me of T13 so far. Exdeath (haven't gotten to neo yet) seems mechanically relatively simple, but he just hits super freaking hard.

I feel bad for our healers this tier because O3 and 4 both seem to be primarily healer fights.

This is going to sound stupid but I've watched and silentely raged at way too many prog streams to not bring it up: 4S has a major healer component, but it's also a stealth group test. All the aggro and Mitigation tools every one has and usually ignores can become game-changers. There will be a lot of healing-related wipes and healers will need to learn to cope with some stuff, but Feint, Addle, Passage of Arms, The Blackest Night, Reprisal, Troubadour, self-heals, Mantra, Minne, Dismantle, Conalescence; Provoke, Shirk, Cover, Smokescreen, Shadewalker, blahblahblahh are all huge things the rest of the group can contribute that should be as important as just raw healing. At some point it's going to be on healers to hit the right buttons at the right times, but everyone taking ownership of whatever pieces they can is huge.

Also there are a few spots where you can handle mechanics in a few different ways, and deferring to healer preference instead of insisting on following one specific guide can make a difference.

4S a fun fight, but it is definitely tilted towards leaning on healing/Mitigation and as dumb as it sounds making it a consistent group discussion instead of just healerproblems can be a massive help

Squishy3

duckroll are you ok

X21EFL4.png

iammeiam

Thanks for the advice. Our strategy discussions usually already do tend to go towards working out what's easiest for the people who have the most work at each point, but it's good to know that this is especially important in O4. We never really go "healer git gud" since we know that they can only do so much, and it's usually best to not overload all the responsibility on any one person anyway.

Cool, you guys should be in a really good spot then. It sounds kind of boring and lecture-y, but my group was super proactive about doing anything they could to help us out constantly and it's a huge part of why I like the fight as much as I do, I think. Teamwork!

Astral

So Stormblood MSQ

I didn't enjoy it as much as HW but this was still great. My favorite parts were probably Zenos wrecking everyone at the Reach and the Xaela stuff. I thought I'd hate the Xaela stuff. I went in there thinking "why are we doing any of this shit? Let's just go to Doma already." But I ended up being really interested in their culture. Also, Sadu is hot af.

I thought Zenos was a good villain mostly. He's a very common and even tired archetype but he was despicable even for me to enjoy as a villain. They even pulled the "we're more alike than you think" card. I'm not your friend, buddy. Him overpowering you in the beginning was refreshing because I myself thought I was OP as fuck and could stomp any villain. Then this guy comes along and you ain't shit. Then you're able to damage him a bit more in the next fight and then finally defeat him in the last. It was a decent sense of progression.

Y'shtola surviving was both disappointing and a relief. Being cut down so suddenly would've been tragic enough to make the death pretty good, but it would've also been kinda cruel to kill her off so soon like that.

Finally, Lyse. I don't get the hate. She's completely inoffensive. She's fine. The only thing that bothered me is that her leadership wasn't earned whatsoever. Conrad said it wasn't because she was her father's daughter but let's be real, it was because she's her father's daughter.

Also, Jessie!

Zomba13

Well the golfbag is obviously a gunholster. Every Garlean general has a gun weapon. (gun shield, gun hammer, gun sword, gun greatsword, gun punching gloves).

Omni

My biggest annoyance with healing 4s is that I need to hold onto Lucid Dreaming for like an entire minute after Omega because on WHM I always take hate healing the Almagest and always have to dump after the Aero III (PLD is covering me for that part) and before earth-shakers. God forbid tanks use their tank stance, haha

It can be downright crippling in regards to my MP. Bard forgets to use refresh? It's a wipe because I don't have the MP to heal smh

Fun fight but I feel like I have to make a lot of concessions to clear as a healer main. Forget about ever using largesse too because of the hate generation. Then don't even get me started on the White Hole mechanic in Exdeath. Trying not to overheal and having some random person get petrified because they missed 10HP. Like come on -_____-

DPS really have it easy in there.

Village

So Stormblood MSQ

Finally, Lyse. I don't get the hate. She's completely inoffensive. She's fine. The only thing that bothered me is that her leadership wasn't earned whatsoever. Conrad said it wasn't because she was her father's daughter but let's be real, it was because she's her father's daughter.

Also, Jessie!

She keeps injecting herself in parts of the story she doesn't need to be untill the very end
She isn't eqipped to handle the task of leading anyone, and its pretty apperent considering she spends the whole game following you and alisaie around, making poor decisions based only on emotions. And the only reason they go right isn't because of her own actions is because other people like the player character literally exist to fix her fuck ups
She is, despite this forced into a leadership role alomst roman reigns style in a sort of " YOU WILL LIKE THIS CHARACTER, LIKE THIS CHARACTER" sort of way , not actually genuine. Not trying to endear to the character or the idea of her leading anything through her actions, but by just forcing us to like her
And finally, Pretty white woman gets to save and be the leader of a country full of more interesting brown people... because reasons. This hits home particularly hard when Rahabhn exists, is a much more interesting character
lost his arm
because of events leading up to this and a former friend. A person who has literally lost so much, pushed to the side for... pretty white uninteresting main character girl

So that.

Astral

She keeps injecting herself in parts of the story she doesn't need to be untill the very end
She isn't eqipped to handle the task of leading anyone, and its pretty apperent considering she spends the whole game following you and alisaie around
She is, despite this forced into a leadership role alomst roman reigns style in a sort of " YOU WILL LIKE THIS CHARACTER, LIKE THIS CHARACTER" sort of way , not actually genuine. Not trying to endear to the character or the idea of her leading anything through her actions, but by just forcing us to like her
And finally, Pretty white woman gets to save and be the leader of a country full of more interesting brown people... because reasons. This hits home particularly hard when Rahabhn exists, is a much more interesting character
lost his arm
because of events leading up to this and a former friend. A person who has literally lost so much, pushed to the side for... pretty white uninteresting main character girl

So that.

Yeah that's basically my biggest issue with her. It's all completely unearned. Just why? I just rolled with it. And of course she's like the only white Ala Mhigan lol. Hien was a much cooler guy, even though I basically did everything for him.

Village

The reason I'm willing to let up on Hien and Alphnaud because they came up, and come up with plans.

She doesn't come with plans, she's always " whats plan guys" or " i'm emotional so now you have to come up with a plan on the spot to account for my emotions" , how you gonna be the leader of anything if you have no incling how to be tactical. And i'm not saying that all leaders don't also have tacticians if they aren't one. But the ability to work through problems and to come up with working solutions is key to being a leader to anything, or at least guide people to a solution, or the area of a solution, or the IDEA of a solution. And she can't even do that.

You know why people don't like her, she's Vaan " now one will like these characters as protagonists so lets make this prettier character the ma... Oh no one liked it. No one liked it at all. They wanted Rabahn to be the main guy. They are saying the story is worse that havensward and don't like lyse. Oh.... "

Astral

The reason I'm willing to let up on Hien and Alphnaud because they came up, and come up with plans.

She doesn't come with plans, she's always " whats plan guys" or " i'm emotional so now you have to come up with a plan on the spot to account for my emotions" , how you gonna be the leader of anything if you have no incling how to be tactical. And i'm not saying that all leaders don't also have tacticians if they aren't one. But the ability to work through problems and to come up with working solutions is key to being a leader to anything, or at least guide people to a solution, or the area of a solution, or the IDEA of a solution. And she can't even do that.

You know why people don't like her, she's Vaan " now one will like these characters as protagonists so lets make this prettier character the ma... Oh no one liked it. No one liked it at all. They wanted Rabahn to be the main guy. They are saying the story is worse that havensward and don't like lyse. Oh.... "

Exactly. I still don't hate her or anything, she's not Minfilia tier. But my immediate thought after the ending was "this country is fucked."

Village

Its funny how everything not in ala mihgo that wasn't the main bad guy was more interesting than the ala mhigo parts.

Maps, characters, motivations, everything except for the main bad guy was better in the eastern parts.

I wish all of that was its own DLC

Oh well, I guess this DLC got two narratives out of the way I guess.

scy

My biggest annoyance with healing 4s is that I need to hold onto Lucid Dreaming for like an entire minute after Omega because on WHM I always take hate healing the Almagest and always have to dump after the Aero III (PLD is covering me for that part) and before earth-shakers. God forbid tanks use their tank stance, haha

I think the longest I hold Lucid is the pull? I burn it after I get Provoked off post-Alpha (~65s or so into the fight, typically), but I also hold it since I don't spend any MP really in the opener since zero healing. This puts that Lucid up around 20-30s before the bad Almagest post-Omega post-Delta, though I don't even think I pop it for here typically anyway. Threat is largely handled with Provokes mapped to the mechanics that require threat rather than specifically me dumping threat.

If the PLD is covering you for Aero 3, they can just delay the Cover slightly and get it and the Earth Shaker as well; wait for ~50% or more of the Aero III cast before Cover hits and it'll take both hits, just make sure you're not in the party since it still line-AoEs from your hitbox and not the PLD. We didn't do it during prog / early clears since "what if we don't have PLD?" and avoiding Cover reliance but now it's basically just a free Rampart.

Astral

Early Ala Mhigo is awesome. Then you get to Kugane and it's like "holy shit this is way more awesome." Then you go back to Ala Mhigo and you're sad.

Omni

I think the longest I hold Lucid is the pull? I burn it after I get Provoked off post-Alpha (~65s or so into the fight, typically), but I also hold it since I don't spend any MP really in the opener since zero healing. This puts that Lucid up around 20-30s before the bad Almagest post-Omega post-Delta, though I don't even think I pop it for here typically anyway. Threat is largely handled with Provokes mapped to the mechanics that require threat rather than specifically me dumping threat.

If the PLD is covering you for Aero 3, they can just delay the Cover slightly and get it and the Earth Shaker as well; wait for ~50% or more of the Aero III cast before Cover hits and it'll take both hits, just make sure you're not in the party since it still line-AoEs from your hitbox. We didn't do it during prog / early clears since "what if we don't have PLD?" and avoiding Cover reliance but now it's basically just a free Rampart.
I think it's because my tanks aren't using any hate combos? Or the very minimum out of tank stance, even on pull. But this pretty much where I'm forced to use Lucid. Red circle is the really annoying part where I gotta sit on it

Q6LZwOz.png

Entire usage is about dropping hate, rather than replenishing MP. Which is annoying to say the least, haha. Have to burn it at the start because a single medica and medica II rips hate!

We tried the Aero III > Earthshaker cover thing a few times in prog but 90% of the time it ended with me dying so I dunno. I guess our PLD just never worked out the timing (apparently his cast window is there too so he's probably hesitant to stop)

Next week I'll be on AST and my co-heal will be SCH, so this problem should go away. So annoying though ;___:

Village

Early Ala Mhigo is awesome. Then you get to Kugane and it's like "holy shit this is way more awesome." Then you go back to Ala Mhigo and you're sad.

The only parts of Ala mhigo that are interesting are Rhalgors Reach and The Last are you unlock, I think its called fringes. That place is half a castle and ruins of a civilization taken by war and item, the ground salted, grotesque monsters roaming the lands. Phantasms , Ghouls in tombs. Its a dark souls level and its awesome. But the other to Ala Mhigo levels are just

" Desert, oh, desert.. some trees in the desert. Oh this ruin looks interesting, but mostly desert"

I'm not saying you can't make an interesting desert. One of my favorite levels in a video game is a desert, and it in Dragon Age inquisition of all things, a desert that perminantly at night its motly flat kinda , its has topography hills, eventually you reach a mountain side, there is this vally you can go into where a dog that can do math sells you the recipes for the best armor in the base game.

But The atmosphere is so massive, yet not filled with mouthains like teh first two ala mhigo area's are. Just flat, dark, lonley at night, and you run into the occasional grave roobber magical cultust and actual ghost.

And you might be like "well DAI is a single player game obviously you can't exspect to do the same thing in this game" but they do, the Xeala level is that. Its this mostly flat thing, that just due to the things they put on the level and the colors used, comes of as one of the most interesting places in the entire game. And its mostly just flat planes, its just fun to run through there.

I wasn't too keen from early ala mhigo from the start, I thought I wasted my money on this expansion, but luckily I went to doma, kugane and the last area and I feel better about it.
" But more boring ass desert" doesn't leave the best impression

scy

I think it's because my tanks aren't using any hate combos? But this pretty much where I'm forced to use Lucid. Red circle is the really annoying part where I gotta sit on it

Ours don't really either, sitting at sub-10 combined uses of Butcher's and Halone and we're trimming those since they're excessive (I'm pretty sure we don't need more than 5, probably 1-2 after Shadewalker realignments). We're pretty lax on our aggro stuff and both our tanks try to push damage (sitting at 3-3.3k DPS each); I got my weapon this week but I don't see that really changing our threat, basically?

As for Lucid timings, mine look like this:

I'm pretty much on cooldown use and get 6 total in the fight (5 on the last kill since it died before my last one came up). I want to say I mapped them there specifically as post-Almagest timings anyway. The only way to get 7 is to use it basically on cooldown starting from 10-15s in so if you're still getting 6, that's probably still fine. Even if you are staring at the button going "but why" for a minute D:

Next week I'll be on AST and my co-heal will be SCH, so this problem should go away. So annoying though ;___:

We had our Noct AST heal the bulk of the damage since lower threat / better EHP per GCD and Stone IV > Malefic for DPS GCDs. That made most of our prog stuff better for threat anyway and allowed for me to try and decouple my cooldowns from theirs so we at least each had cooldowns for everything naturally staggered.

Soooo how do I go about leveling a class from 1 to 70? PoD?

1-15, hunting log+guildhest and maybe a couple of fates or so, 15-60 potd, 61-70 dungeons+FATEs. Also leveling roulettes everyday, can do some pvp post 60 too for decent xp, trial roulette is also ok. But obviously don't burn yourself out, if you want to take a break from potd just run some dungeons and stuff.

Astral

1-15, hunting log+guildhest and maybe a couple of fates or so, 15-60 potd, 61-70 dungeons+FATEs. Also leveling roulettes everyday, can do some pvp post 60 too for decent xp, trial roulette is also ok. But obviously don't burn yourself out, if you want to take a break from potd just run some dungeons and stuff.

Ew guildhests. Thanks lol.

I just did the first two Omega raids on normal. I didn't get shit for the second one. What should I be rolling? I assumed everyone would do greed to give everyone the same odds. I think that's how it works.

Edzi

Ew guildhests. Thanks lol.

I just did the first two Omega raids on normal. I didn't get shit for the second one. What should I be rolling? I assumed everyone would do greed to give everyone the same odds. I think that's how it works.

Wha? Roll Need, why would you roll greed?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Just have everyone full at all times, otherwise they'll be dead once the next attack comes.
Easier said than done, I know
Not sure if you meant Neo but I guess it applies for Ex too as not having everyone full for White Hole will drain your dps and if your group isn't organized it can be tough at first.

I meant regular, non-Neo.

From what other healers tell me, Neo is actually easier to heal than regular.

Regular is a bitchhhhhhhhhhh.

Knockback-Stack-Flare-AOE-White Hole-Black Hole - Fire - Stack - White Hole - tankbuster - METEORFUCKYOU - Repeat

scy

I meant regular, non-Neo.

From what other healers tell me, Neo is actually easier to heal than regular.

I hear this sentiment a lot but I personally never found Exdeath that bad to heal? Most of his damage isn't lethal so you're just figuring out how to top people off in between. There's a bark worse than his bite joke somewhere in there but, really, outside of GCD greed during Black Holes, there's only so much damaging things he puts out.

Neo is more a case of the throughput and keeping people alive rather than just topping people off side of things. He's far more predictable so once you know what damage looks like, it's pretty consistently always looking about the same.

I guess it'll come down to what you struggle with more personally; more mechanics and limited time frames or more raw damage but heavily scripted.

Knockback-Stack-Flare-AOE-White Hole-Black Hole - Fire - Stack - White Hole - tankbuster - METEORFUCKYOU - Repeat

So, for instance here from WHM perspective: Decisive Battle just takes a Medica 2 as the marker appears so the heal lands with the damage, sprint ahead of the tree to Medica off the Holy (or just Assize it as it lands), you don't have much to do here for Flares barring making sure people are topped off. I used to be cute about Benison here but that's mostly filed away as "I'M HELPING" tech.

Get middle to heal pre-Vacuum Wave, Surecast to get another cast off as Vacuum Wave casts, and Plenary; this you'll end up feeling out a bit more with your co-healer and/or grumbling about tanks somehow being at 99.5% HP when it comes to how many casts you need. It helps a lot if people are on top of Arms' Length, Surecast,Tempered Will (with or without Cover), any dashes/jumps, etc. for getting a nice stack super fast.

Timing a Medica 2 (I use Largesse here, just in case) to go out with Black Hole means you don't worry about Fire 3 damage itself so it's Swiftcast + Assize to prep for Holy as you're running in; topping off for White Hole mostly just means remember that Black Hole debuff wearing off creates a small HP deficit at around 75% of the bar so you may want to start another cast after 50% of the bar just in case until you feel it out.

Tankbuster is invuln'd so the damage is irrelevant and/or Benediction'd and Meteor with proper mitigation is non-lethal and you have ~15 seconds before you take damage again so this is usually just coast on a Medica 2 until the stack again.

I can't comment directly on how the Noct AST side feels but mostly replace the regens with pre-shields and Earthen Star for the Black Hole stacks. And slightly more concern about Meteor than my side.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I hear this sentiment a lot but I personally never found Exdeath that bad to heal? Most of his damage isn't lethal so you're just figuring out how to top people off in between. There's a bark worse than his bite joke somewhere in there but, really, outside of GCD greed during Black Holes, there's only so much damaging things he puts out.

Neo is more a case of the throughput and keeping people alive rather than just topping people off side of things. He's far more predictable so once you know what damage looks like, it's pretty consistently always looking about the same.

I guess it'll come down to what you struggle with more personally; more mechanics and limited time frames or more raw damage but heavily scripted.

So, for instance here from WHM perspective: Decisive Battle just takes a Medica 2 as the marker appears so the heal lands with the damage, sprint ahead of the tree to Medica off the Holy (or just Assize it as it lands), you don't have much to do here for Flares barring making sure people are topped off. I used to be cute about Benison here but that's mostly filed away as "I'M HELPING" tech.

Get middle to heal pre-Vacuum Wave, Surecast to get another cast off as Vacuum Wave casts, and Plenary; this you'll end up feeling out a bit more with your co-healer and/or grumbling about tanks somehow being at 99.5% HP when it comes to how many casts you need. It helps a lot if people are on top of Arms' Length, Surecast,Tempered Will (with or without Cover), any dashes/jumps, etc. for getting a nice stack super fast.

Timing a Medica 2 (I use Largesse here, just in case) to go out with Black Hole means you don't worry about Fire 3 damage itself so it's Swiftcast + Assize to prep for Holy as you're running in; topping off for White Hole mostly just means remember that Black Hole debuff wearing off creates a small HP deficit at around 75% of the bar so you may want to start another cast after 50% of the bar just in case until you feel it out.

Tankbuster is invuln'd so the damage is irrelevant and/or Benediction'd and Meteor with proper mitigation is non-lethal and you have ~15 seconds before you take damage again so this is usually just coast on a Medica 2 until the stack again.

I can't comment directly on how the Noct AST side feels but mostly replace the regens with pre-shields and Earthen Star for the Black Hole stacks. And slightly more concern about Meteor than my side.

I'm SCH, so I have to shield pre-knockback, perfectly time shield for the stack, run, shield after i run but before the flare hits, run middle shield before the random cast, run up to him and help heal up to white hole, shield pre-black hole, shield immediately post-black hole, heal/shield after fire/before stack, heal up to white hole, shield meteor (this part isn't so bad, there's enough time for me to do cast SS & adlo-deploy & fey covenant)

but it's a paaaaaaaain to do all that properly while trying to get some dps in and do all the mechanics properly. I've got exactly ONE dot heal on a 60s cooldown.

iammeiam

The most memorable part about regular Exdeath to me was realizing how much harder I was making it with ill-timed Preshielding. The first Fire 3 hit is at like 42 seconds into the fight; with Oppo a prepull Aspected Helios would fall off a few seconds before that, which made shielding fire 3 dodgy which in turn made white hole harder. So now no prepull shield, and similarly I don't try to get a shield for Decisive up early and just cast it once he's jumped. Bubble the first knocback mostly because I can, but it'll be down for second.

We also I think do Flare during Decisive 'wrong' by taking the four corner approach, having 5 people stack in the no-Flare corner, and sending the tanks far out to the opposite side to take the heaviest flare damage. That + casting a shield next to the tree after dodging breath keeps HP higher in general which makes vacuum wave into White Hole less scary than the three corner method looks. Sometimes I pop lightspeed on the first Black Hole and spam shield but I don't think it does anything and I'd probably be better served just ABing the tank. Mostly just pop star as we run in to stack, maybe a Helios after to top people up.

Meteor is just yet another Aspected Helios, an AB on the PLD if my AH was too early to proc Divine Veil, then Bubble during the cast. Lucid + Oppo after the hit because whynot and also it extends the Oppo Regen. Which we probably dont need but eh.

Top Bottom