• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Gator86

Lakshmi
is the first thing I've done since the end missions of ARR where I had just literally no clue what I was supposed to be doing. Even after I thought I figured it out, stuff still didn't work the way I thought it did. Nothing about the fight from theme, to music, to execution was fun. It was ass. Polar opposite of
Susano

Ruff

uh, how are we visiting a FF12 city in this game? Unless it's explained at the end of SB (not long just started it)

Apoptomon

uh, how are we visiting a FF12 city in this game? Unless it's explained at the end of SB (not long just started it)

Within the lore of the game, Rabanastre and Dalmasca are just another city/region in the world of Hydaelyn, sitting somewhere in the are of the Ilsabard/Othard continent border. Like Doma, Crystal Tower, Krile, Matoya, Kaien etc it's not the 'real thing'. However, since the actual creator of Ivalice is involved in writing it, it might feel more authentic than those do maybe

Atolm

Got the Genji Katana yesterday. My SAM was 320. So far we've got 0 direct weapon drops for our raid setup. Not that I complain, because I've received two of three drops.

Also LOL at some of the weapons of the Yokai event. The mount itself is incredible.

Murkas

Climbed the Kugane tower, didn't spend too long on it. Maybe 30 mins or so, used the DS4 and found it easier to aim for the empty spaces in front of the wooden beams because of the janky hit boxes. Hope there's more of these puzzles.

Any tips for melds on my MNK? Might make a difference for me since I'm only ilvl 323 right now.

Crit and skill speed. You want to hit around 1300 skill speed, or just slightly under for optimal Demolish refresh. That would give you 2s GCD under GL3, meaning Demolish reapplies immediately after falling off so you lose no damage.

Berordn

Within the lore of the game, Rabanastre and Dalmasca are just another city/region in the world of Hydaelyn, sitting somewhere in the are of the Ilsabard/Othard continent border. Like Doma, Crystal Tower, Krile, Matoya, Kaien etc it's not the 'real thing'. However, since the actual creator of Ivalice is involved in writing it, it might feel more authentic than those do maybe

I don't doubt you, but where is this stated? I vaguely recalled back when they announced Return to Ivalice as them saying we were going to the "real" Ivalice, but I can't find that now either so I'm willing to admit I dreamt it.

I'm considering going for the all weapons mount since there's still 2 months for the event, but I'd be lying if I said I'm not dreading the legendary medal grind.

I have my heart set on the stupid thing now, but realizing that it took me most of the day to get my initial four weapons and the fate trains will be dying down later on I'm a little worried.

Apoptomon

I don't doubt you, but where is this stated? I vaguely recalled back when they announced Return to Ivalice as them saying we were going to the "real" Ivalice, but I can't find that now either so I'm willing to admit I dreamt it.

For the XIV existence of the locations, they're mentioned a couple times in the lore book and in the JP language version of the game itself. However it has both been said that there's a legend aspect to Return ("like King Arthur") but also that the region will be inspired to revolt against Garlemald like Doma.

There's a few dotpoints from the live letter about it at the bottom of
this OF post by Anonymoose of GamerEscape

iammeiam

Got the Genji Katana yesterday. My SAM was 320. So far we've got 0 direct weapon drops for our raid setup. Not that I complain, because I've received two of three drops.

The coffer at this point is a godsend. Our drops have been:

PLD Sword (Yay! We have a PLD!)
PLD Sword
DRG Spear
SMN Book
MNK Fists (RIP; our monk got the first coffer!)
DRK Sword

But thanks to the magic of coffers, everyone will still have their weapon next week.

Coffer has been great for constant rewards in the face of questionable drops; it'll be interesting to see if groups change around their tomestone priority next tier.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
DRK storyline continues to be absolutely amazing.

Coffer has been great for constant rewards in the face of questionable drops; it'll be interesting to see if groups change around their tomestone priority next tier.

Our tomestone priority was "Someone gonna buy a weapon here? No? Guess it's free loot then..."

iammeiam

Our tomestone priority was "Someone gonna buy a weapon here? No? Guess it's free loot then..."

That's where we ended up, but we started the tier expecting coffers to be a month or more away, and I think expecting 4 to have more of a DPS check to fear, so were giving DPS tomestone and roborant priority on the first two 3S clears. It just created the weird situation where our Bard and Ninja ended up with the last priority for Genji coffers since they'd gotten the first two tomestones and ended up spending the 1k tomes after we'd cleared (I told them to roll off with me for it since I'm guessing 5 iLevels on them is still the same as 25 on me for rDPS, but they are bad at rolling.) If Omega Savage is the go-forward plan for difficulty tuning, it could arguably make sense to flip tanks to first tomestone priority so that DPS can stockpile tomes for other things and go straight to coffers.

It definitely decreases the lifespan of people caring about tomestones

Squishy3

Do not challenge me, Sudo
This isn't even the best part of it.

・フェーズ1で諦めさせないとずるずるとやってしまうのでこれは優しさ
If you don't give up on phase 1 even if they make you, you'll end up drifting into something (worse) further so consider it a mercy.
・フェーズ1で詰まるようなPTはできればおかえり頂きたい
PTs that are stuck at phase 1 should go home, if possible.

Pretty pleased they decided to re-introduce the Yokai event

I may attempt the get the weapon mount?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...TQU76PU5vmprKqg/htmlview?usp=sharing&sle=true

I recommend following this, it lists the zones in terms of how easy/hard they are to do fates in. Basically do all the recommended zones and save the green ones for after you've completed the yellow ones, because they have the highest FATE spawn rate and the last 3 weapons are 30 legendary medals each. I hope you like having the FATE items for the Kobold Beast Tribe quests. Also, you can unequip the Yokai medal after getting all the minions because you don't need it equipped for the legendary medals.

Foxxsoxx

So I finished all the dungeons and unlocked the expert dungeon roulette, so I'm guessing all there is to do now is those until I'm the correct gear level then Lash/Susano Extreme then the raid once I get the gear from them?

Never made it to end game in MMOs before, always got burnt out beforehand.

Squishy3

So I finished all the dungeons and unlocked the expert dungeon roulette, so I'm guessing all there is to do now is those until I'm the correct gear level then Lash/Susano Extreme then the raid once I get the gear from them?

Never made it to end game in MMOs before, always got burnt out beforehand.
Yeah, there's the two Expert roulette dungeons, Omega normal (ilvl requirement of 295) and the two EX Primals. After that, you can choose to pursue Omega Savage, or you can go back and look at all the optional content that you missed. There's a fair amount in both A Realm Reborn and Heavensward.

Xux

I wish the Yokai minions, weapons, and mount weren't so hideous so I'd be more motivated to do the event.

No RDM and SAM weapons is pretty pathetic, too.

Squishy3

I wish the Yokai minions, weapons, and mount weren't so hideous so I'd be more motivated to do the event.

No RDM and SAM weapons is pretty pathetic, too.
I mean Yoshida was drunk so he was susceptible and he's like "Can I turn it on right now?" so literally no extra development went into the event.

They'd need to make two new minions due to the way the event was designed, two new weapons, and also rejigger the achievements since the mount was tied to the achievement for collecting all the weapons.

This was completely spur of the moment since it went up within 2 days of the request from the Level 5 CEO. And there wouldn't have been time for development on RDM and SAM weapons since they went from the Yokai event to the Garo event to Stormblood to working on the FFXV event (Yoshida mentioned they received the materials from the XV team in an interview not that long ago) and the patches.

Astral

Does anyone play this in PS4 Pro mode? I just got a 4K TV and the game is fucking gorgeous. The performance definitely suffers though. I don't even wanna think about setting foot in Rhalgr's Reach with this shit on. FFXV also looks gorgeous but runs like dog shit on high with HDR.

Foxxsoxx

Does anyone play this in PS4 Pro mode? I just got a 4K TV and the game is fucking gorgeous. The performance definitely suffers though. I don't even wanna think about setting foot in Rhalgr's Reach with this shit on. FFXV also looks gorgeous but runs like dog shit on high with HDR.

Would love to play on Pro mode but it tanks the framerate pretty hard. Wouldn't be so bad if it was a steady 30fps without judder.

Yeah, there's the two Expert roulette dungeons, Omega normal (ilvl requirement of 295) and the two EX Primals. After that, you can choose to pursue Omega Savage, or you can go back and look at all the optional content that you missed. There's a fair amount in both A Realm Reborn and Heavensward.

Mmm, I see, appreciated! For some reason I don't really have much reason to play after I did all the story etc. Probably would help if I had an active FC. I'll regret to the end of my days not realizing Ultros was the GAF server. I just don't think I can justify the price in a transfer. Blows my mind how much it costs.

B.K.

Do we know when Lore and Scripture are going away? I'm capped on both of them. I need to find something to spend Poetics on and get rid of them before they're removed.

Squishy3

Do we know when Lore and Scripture are going away? I'm capped on both of them. I need to find something to spend Poetics on and get rid of them before they're removed.
Lore should be removed when the new tomestone is added in 4.2, scripture should go away in 4.4.

RPGCrazied

Finally starting to play stormblood, after all those cutscenes I had to watch from Heavensward and other games I'm playing, took forever.

And either I just suck, or these new mobs are hard and I dish out tiny damage, course I don't have a new weapon yet. Just a new helm now.

Finally got my weekly O3S and with a 315 tank OTING...... lmao. We killed it like maybe 3 seconds before enrage. Also saw the exdeath enrage on 4s.... not too bad but man the black holes are a mess.

There's supposed to be a boost mode that makes it smoother.

Don't know if they removed that.

Astral

There's some nice glamour on Raids I will probably never get a chance to play.

Speaking of glamour, do you have to keep glamouring your gear as you get new ones? I'm guessing yes.

Finally starting to play stormblood, after all those cutscenes I had to watch from Heavensward and other games I'm playing, took forever.

And either I just suck, or these new mobs are hard and I dish out tiny damage, course I don't have a new weapon yet. Just a new helm now.

That's pretty much how I'm feeling right now after finishing the ARR questline and working my way through Heavensward.

Qvoth

yeah the damage calculation formula is redone for SB, it's normal
anyway if you haven't reached 70 then the core gimmick of the class you're playing usually isn't unlocked yet anyway

Heartfyre

I play it on the Pro Mode Standard setting, so 1080p with a much smoother framerate in the PvE zones. I thought the game already ran great in instances, but being able to walk through highly populated areas with minimal hitching is great.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
So from the way it sounds they are literary importing the region of Ivalice and placing it north of OTHARD? So they are expanding the Map again? Or are they going the multi verse route and they are just adding adding a few cities from FF XII close to ILSABARD and not the Ivalice region as a whole? Kinda confuse on that aspect.

Either way this has so much potential right now and it could go in so many different ways but the things they can bring from Ivalice over to FFXIV is exciting to speculate about. Maybe making Viera,Gria, Seeq,Nu Mou or Bangaa as a playable race? Maybe they can use this as a jumping point to add a new Healer and Tank mid patch just like the Ninja since we didn't get one in 4.0? I would love to see Templar added as a new Tank and Elementalist as a new Healer.

Apoptomon

... Maybe they can use this as a jumping point to add a new Healer and Tank mid patch just like the Ninja since we didn't get one in 4.0?....

Do you want 0 dungeons in Expert Roulette? /s
The new "we'll only do one new dungeon sometimes so we can work on other things" makes it a bit more likely, but Yoshida previously said that he'd rather they didn't do that again because "too much work" or something.

Ashodin

Just two-manned Svara's Fall fate in Coerthas. I tanked it (well, more like ran around the arena instead of "tanked") and she shot it up something hard.

I play it on the Pro Mode Standard setting, so 1080p with a much smoother framerate in the PvE zones. I thought the game already ran great in instances, but being able to walk through highly populated areas with minimal hitching is great.

Oh, the Pro Patch is already out?

Edit: Just checked and it is!

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Do you want 0 dungeons in Expert Roulette? /s
The new "we'll only do one new dungeon sometimes so we can work on other things" makes it a bit more likely, but Yoshida previously said that he'd rather they didn't do that again because "too much work" or something.
Well their "excuse" for not initially adding a Healer and Tank was that they wanted to "balance" the current 3 Tanks and 3 Healers before they add anymore to the mix and with the exception if Scholar being in a weird position I think the other 5 Jobs are in a good place now. So I say bring it! Give me a new Tank and Healer Job to play with Square-Enix!

Berordn

Either way this has so much potential right now and it could go in so many different ways but the things they can bring from Ivalice over to FFXIV is exciting to speculate about. Maybe making Viera,Gria, Seeq,Nu Mou or Bangaa as a playable race? Maybe they can use this as a jumping point to add a new Healer and Tank mid patch just like the Ninja since we didn't get one in 4.0? I would love to see Templar added as a new Tank and Elementalist as a new Healer.

I wouldn't expect them to add anything for this, but Viera actually were considered to be a playable race in Heavensward before they settled on Au Ra.

Xion_Stellar

I wouldn't expect them to add anything for this, but Viera actually were considered to be a playable race in Heavensward before they settled on Au Ra.
I'm not expecting anything to come from it but it would be nice if they make full use of their newly found access to what the Ivalice Alliance has to offer.

Because what else are they going to do with their extra development time they have now that they downsized how many dungeons we are getting per Patch? Unless that was their way of saying we are getting less content than before because they got a budget cut...

Berordn

I'm not expecting anything to come from it but it would be nice if they make full use of their newly found access to what the Ivalice Alliance has to offer.

Because what else are they going to do with their extra development time they have now that they downsized how many dungeons we are getting per Patch? Unless that was their way of saying we are getting less content than before because they got a budget cut...

Without knowing how detailed any of the content they're planning is, it could just be that they needed the team to focus on Ivalice instead.

Top Bottom