• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV team restructured, PS3 release delayed | FFXI staff swap: Post #108

Glad to see Japanese companies aren't so rigid they don't recognize the need to massace a team when they ruin a multi-million dollar franchise.

Of course if Square was an American company the whole team would be axed and everyone would simply be fired. I guess they got off easy?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
demigod said:
WTF are you smoking? The game has been in development for years, it was announced in 2009, not 2010.

Then it's sad that within a year they haven't gotten shit polished. As soon as that announcement for 14 went live, they should've been in polishing/beta/damn-near-gold-to-launch state.

Which is obvious they weren't.

RyuHayate

Tylahedras said:
Glad to see Japanese companies aren't so rigid they don't recognize the need to massace a team when they ruin a multi-million dollar franchise.

Of course if Square was an American company the whole team would be axed and everyone would simply be fired. I guess they got off easy?

Easy? No way can this be easier than forever bidding adieu to something that's been a constant struggle to get off the ground.

Babalu.

Pai Pai Master said:
It's absurd. FFXIV ignored so much of what FFXI did, especially the stuff that was unique to the game and great innovations to the industry. The auction house and level sync being the most devious culprits. The quests are missed dearly. Shit like the ability to sort your inventory should have been a no-brainer.

My god. If they would have just taken AT LEAST what they learned in ffxi this game would have been great. But not only did they NOT learn anything from ffxi, they ignored all the other MMO's out there as well.

I can't understand that at all. AT ALL.

Can't wait for tera online.

DrDogg

Reallink said:
I take "game content" to mean things like new leves, NM's, companies, and stuff like that. Battle system functionality is pretty broad, hard to say what that refers to. My first guess would be some combination of Battle Regimens, lag/responsiveness, and nerfs to various abilities. None of that really speaks to (most) of the aspects I mentioned IMO.

Considering the fact that they have a new lead for battle design, I'm guessing things will be changing. That was the best news to me, as almost anything I do in FFXIV is ridiculously simplistic and boring.

Don't release unfinished and poor products.

This game will never be what square or the fans wanted, it's got the stink of death all over it.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
demigod said:
No I didn't, notice how I had a gap in between those two? You're trying to add two different things and making it sound like I said one thing. What I meant was, they had 5 years to make the game. They changed the no exp to exp in the last year. That prolonged development.

The engine wasn't finalized until the last 2 years like you said. But its known in the industry that engines take time and are improved upon. You don't think they just sat around and ate donuts while waiting for a finalized crystal tools engine do you? I can assure you that they were already working on the game with the White Engine. What were they doing the first 3 years that they had to change a game mechanic just months before closed beta?

Actually they could really have been doing nothing for quite a while or merely doing ideas on paper. The post mortum of FFXIII mentions the problems they had with the engine and how it affected their game development. I would think that those problems would be factors that plague FFXIV's team too. They tried building the engine to carter to all the games that they wanted instead of the other way round (i.e. building an engine and deciding what they can do with it). So the FFXIII had a hard time because they didn't knwo what the final specs of the engine was and hence couldn't determine what the final specs of the game can be. It seems logical to assume that FFXIV was affected in the same way.

The problems with the engine also affected all projects linked to the engine. To solve that, in the case of FFXIII, they decided that the needs of FFXIII was the most important at that time. I supposed this might have affected XIV's development in some ways.

Top Bottom