• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Gamescom Schedule, features 17+ 2-hour Duscae LPs and an ATR

Vire

Are you guys serious? You don't have to watch 17 playthroughs, nor could you if you wanted to anyway, as they won't be live-streamed. The audience at gamescom isn't the same for 5 days straight, you know that, right? It's always someone new passing by the SE stage everyday and they have different YouTubers to cover several fan bases.
Also, no, not everyone has played the demo (look at the Type-0 sales).

The fact that Square Enix thinks showing months and months old demos to a huge public audience is concerning. It's a demo with limited variety in enemies, no magical abilities, atrocious performance and so on. How is that putting your best foot forward to people who may have never seen the game before?

I really would have expected a new area and demo of an updated build to be shown on the show floor Gamescom considering they passed on E3 this year.

Vire

They will do that in ATR, I think.

Do we know this or this just fan speculation? Regardless, sounds like a good idea. /s

ATR's reach a whopping 80,000 people or something similar on Youtube. Meanwhile you have Gamescom, literally the biggest show venue in the world when it comes to video games and you are showing some old ass demo.

Koozek

The fact that Square Enix thinks showing months and months old demos to a huge public audience is concerning. It's a demo with limited variety in enemies, no magical abilities, atrocious performance and so on. How is that putting your best foot forward to people who may have never seen the game before?

I really would have expected a new area and demo of an updated build to be shown on the show floor Gamescom considering they passed on E3 this year.

Well, as I said in my last post, I agree that the demo doesn't give the best impression right now, but maybe they worked on it a bit for this show. However, expecting them to work on another demo in another area would ironically do exactly what you feared, distracting them from working on the main game. Creating even a small demo is a lot of work, ask any game dev. They'd have to do QA just for this new demo again to ensure it's not a buggy mess when it's played live (though ED2.0 actually is a lot more buggy than 1.0).
They could use ED as a basis and apply their current code changes and improvements for every trade fair's build (like optimized camera, basic magic system, tuned controls, etc.).

However I think there will be another free-for-all demo next year so anybody can get a taste of the battle-system before release. Tabata already talked about wanting to do that eventually, he even said "later this year", iirc.

Astral Dog

Episode Duscae is all they will show and you will like it

FFXV is here with a brand new demonstration of its highly anticipated rpg series included on FF Type 0 HD, that's the product that you should buy.

Do we know this or this just fan speculation? Regardless, sounds like a good idea. /s

ATR's reach a whopping 80,000 people or something similar on Youtube. Meanwhile you have Gamescom, literally the biggest show venue in the world when it comes to video games and you are showing some old ass demo.

The ATR is just a stream of their final Wednesday stage event at Gamescom. They're still showing something new to the biggest show venue in the world.

They are streaming a live ATR from Gamescom. They will do it right there at FFXVs stage.

Some of you are blowing this way out of proportion. FFXIV does this with every convention it goes to and no one complains. It's literally primal battles you can go home and play right that minute. Typically what would be in place of these Lets Plays with different YT personalities would be just a reel of trailers. And since it's FFXVs stage it would just play old trailers (which wouldn't be streamed either; just like the LPs and Primal Battle Arenas). This is stuff to keep people interested. Unless some of you actually expect the screen to be black at the convention between each Cosplay, Q&A, and ATR.

Those of you that are complaining are complaining about something that will not affect you in any way, shape or form. And even if they brought a brand new demo to the show some here would complain about them making a new demo only a month and a half after ED 2.0 and that they should focus on "development of the full game".

The stuff that is streaming, that you can actually watch and that will actually affect you will be new stuff.

Vire

They are streaming a live ATR from Gamescom. They will do it right there at FFXVs stage.

Some of you are blowing this way out of proportion. FFXIV does this with every convention it goes to and no one complains. It's literally primal battles you can go home and play right that minute. Typically what would be in place of these Lets Plays with different YT personalities would be just a reel of trailers. And since it's FFXVs stage it would just play old trailers (which wouldn't be streamed either; just like the LPs and Primal Battle Arenas). This is stuff to keep people interested. Unless some of you actually expect the screen to be black at the convention between each Cosplay, Q&A, and ATR.

Those of you that are complaining are complaining about something that will not affect you in any way, shape or form. And even if they brought a brand new demo to the show some here would complain about them making a new demo only a month and a half after ED 2.0 and that they should focus on "development of the full game".

The stuff that is streaming, that you can actually watch and that will actually affect you will be new stuff.
How is it an overreaction? I'm just criticizing that they continue to show the same boring area for close to a year now as the face of the game. You skipped E3 and now you are showing Episode Duscae yet again. I mean seriously, how could you not be disappointed, unless you are some delusional fanboy.

I have more faith in Kingdom Hearts 3 at this point.... for real... in Unreal Engine 4 we trust. The E3 demo of that looked more visually and gameplay complete than anything I've experienced first hand with FFXV. Luminous engine is a fucking disaster.

Cutting a new demo is a time consuming process. They already have a working one, even if it isn't perfect. Filling time by showing it off makes complete sense, and is no indication of a lack of progress on the main game. Would you rather they pull multiple people off the main game and have them spend weeks or even months cutting a new demo?

This also does not mean we won't get new information. So this is literally new info + stuff for less informed people that you don't have to care about. If for some strange reason the ATR doesn't provide anything substantial, THEN it is time to freak out.

Can we update the original post to bold the new stuff or something?

DeSolos

The LPers are just revolving door content at a tradeshow. It's to keep FFXV on display throughout the whole show. As it stands, Episode Duscae is the only build of FFXV that is stable and robust enough to be played at such lengths without exploding. Instead of just playing the same trailer over and over again, they've got LPers shouting, making jokes, and doing what they do best: drawing attention. Instead of just showing the same trailer over and over, there is a live person there commenting over what they're playing. It's not a demonstration of new content. It's not a state of the game address. It's just an alternative to a static display.

And they will reach the crowd they intend to reach with the new stuff as well. The ATR will be broadcast from GC, the 3 Q&A sessions happen each day at 3pm local time after the first day, and there is a cosplay contest. That's a lot of stuff that isn't Duscae. Not to mention the likelihood of a new trailer.

Duscae may be dull to us who have played it for many hours, but for the people in attendance, you can guarantee many haven't seen all the cool stuff in it(of which there is a lot). The people who have seen it will keep walking and return when the ATR is on. The people who haven't seen it, will stay and enjoy the LP cause they're usually pretty funny. This is really no different than if Square brought the same demo from one event to another. No one complains at Comic Con when a company brings the E3 demo. This is, sorta like that. They just want to make sure everyone has seen the demo that they spent a LOT of time on.

Wait, so this is the supposed big "media blowout" SE promised us?

3vKJqc7.gif

lol "media blowout" sure is right.

How is it an overreaction? I'm just criticizing that they continue to show the same boring area for close to a year now as the face of the game. You skipped E3 and now you are showing Episode Duscae yet again. I mean seriously, how could you not be disappointed, unless you are some delusional fanboy.

I have more faith in Kingdom Hearts 3 at this point.... for real... in Unreal Engine 4 we trust. The E3 demo of that looked more visually and gameplay complete than anything I've experienced first hand with FFXV. Luminous engine is a fucking disaster.

Got to disagree with that. The XV trailers are beautiful visually, and show plenty of slick gameplay. And having sunk ~15 hours into Duscae across 1.0 and 2.0, the combat can be quite fun (and, at times, visually impressive as well). Also, sure, Duscae is over-exposed, but there's plenty to admire in it. It's a generic early game plain, but the lighting is beautiful, and the animation is next level.

Luminous has obviously been a boondoggle, but they've salvaged some pretty great tech out of it.

Gamescom is supposed to kick off the marketing push, so we'll most likely get new info, a new trailer, etc. but there's still months and months to go before release. They can't blow the whole load at once.

Now, if they DON'T show anything other than Duscae, even in the live ATR, and give no hint of when the game is due or where they are in production, I too will be disappointed.

KupoNut

They'll probably have new areas and demos too,putting Duscae in the hands of experienced players is a great thing to do at Gamescom (it would have been a lot harder to come up with a new demo), it's a great overview of the game and a lot of people haven't seen it or played it. Gamescom audience passing their booth != NeoGAF FFXV community.

We should just wait several weeks and judge then.

Squire

Banned
Man this thread...

I thought with this schedule with LPers that it was obvious that it was marketing to get people interested in it. People who aren't GAFers and stuff and maybe haven't even seen any XV demos/duscae.

They are pretty much using an already made demo to market the game so they don't need to make a new playable build for the show and to try and get people interested in XV.

The ATR is what we should ALL be focusing on here. That one will most likely have new stuff. If it doesn't, then feel free to bitch.

(also interested in the Q&As incase we get any worth while info from them)

I think the issue with this (assuming it's their strategy) is that the demo isn't feature complete (though they could've updated it for GC, I guess) and not easily available asides. I mean, I'm guessing they didn't overship Type-0 and I don't see *too* many people getting a new copy of it just for Duscae.

It's just... silly.

It'd work much better with something like Just Cause 3 where there's probably a lot of more of that game that's done and because of the nature of it, those 17 LPs could result in some very different footage every hour or whatever.

Edit:

LPs that aren't streamed is weird. You may as well just record an hour or two of B-roll and put it on repeat.

Mcdohl

Duscae 2.0 has a watered down combat system, with limited enemies, variety and technical issues.

Just seems like a bad representation to sell the game to the masses.

It was a nice gesture for the core followers of the game, but not something that will help pull the numbers they want.

Even as a core follower I'm a bit concerned whether all the game will actually be like Duscae or not. We're assuming a lot of things, and one of them is assuming all of the issues will be addressed in the end product.

For example: great art design, beautiful area, but not much to do and in a way this makes the area lack personality (could not find a better word, sorry...) compared to maps from let's say XI or ARR (not all of Heavensward yet! Huge ass areas lol) or XII. I kinda memorized all of them because almost every corner had something special to do, some special name, some special something. Is it really safe to assume this will be addressed?

Square Enix: "You told us you wanted more Episode Duscae and we listened! Eight hours every day! A few lucky fans will have the chance of a lifetime to play this already-released product."

Is there any chance at all that there might be something new to show? (A version 3.0 maybe?) I just don't get this approach.

DeSolos

I think the issue with this (assuming it's their strategy) is that the demo isn't feature complete (though they could've updated it for GC, I guess) and not easily available asides. I mean, I'm guessing they didn't overship Type-0 and I don't see *too* many people getting a new copy of it just for Duscae.

It's just... silly.

It'd work much better with something like Just Cause 3 where there's probably a lot of more of that game that's done and because of the nature of it, those 17 LPs could result in some very different footage every hour or whatever.

Edit:

LPs that aren't streamed is weird. You may as well just record an hour or two of B-roll and put it on repeat.

Two hour B-roll isn't engaging. LPers are. If they're good at anything it's drawing crowds.

I don't understand the fixation on the choice to have this. If it was 2 hour b-roll no one would care. They're just taking that concept a step further. For people not in attendance, it's entirely irrelevant.

Square Enix: "You told us you wanted more Episode Duscae and we listened! Eight hours every day! A few lucky fans will have the chance of a lifetime to play this already-released product."

Is there any chance at all that there might be something new to show? (A version 3.0 maybe?) I just don't get this approach.

There's an hour livestream specifically for new stuff, 3 Q&A sessions, and likely a new trailer. The let's plays are just there to show off FFXV at the event for people walking around the booth.

Ochibi

The world of gaming isn't only about NeoGAF and hardcore fans who follow news. There are a lot of visitors who aren't interested, and could be after a demo with famous YouTubers. Even if there is YouTube where you can watch the demo, sometimes seeing in a big screen can completely change your mind. That's the point.

Everyday, there are new visitors, not the same audience etc. Gamescom is damn big, you can't do everything on one day. I do understand your reaction, but I think it's a little bit too much, since it's not livestreamed.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Cosplay show? That's pretty hilarious because to an unknowing onlooker these characters would all look boring and trivial as hell. Besides Cidney it's just a bunch of dudes in suits.
Then again I probably shouldn't doubt cosplayers. When challenged, they'll cosplay that one guy from the trailer that had two lines.

Squire

Banned
Two hour B-roll isn't engaging. LPers are. If they're good at anything it's drawing crowds.

I don't understand the fixation on the choice to have this. If it was 2 hour b-roll no one would care. They're just taking that concept a step further. For people not in attendance, it's entirely irrelevant.

If you say so? I'm not really fixated on it myself, it's just an observation. You say LPers draw crowds, but I think you and SE both may have misunderstood the appeal. LPers draw crowds on the internet. That's a very specific type of appeal and reach. They're perfectly welcome to test how far they can stretch it, but even on paper, the idea folks are gonna wanna stand around in SEs booth in a crowded convention center (meaning they probably can't hear the audio too well, which is half the appeal of an LP) and watch LPers play an old demo is pretty silly on paper. I find it difficult to picture it being much better in practice, but it's their choice.

Socivol

Wait a sec...who can you actually cosplay as? They've barely showed any of the characters so are there just gonna be dozens of Noctis cosplayers going around?

I was thinking the same thing. Outside of the main party, who could you really cosplay as? I can't wait for someone to cosplay as "the black haired girl" lol!

ED Cantu

So, how much of this is going to be new information? Sorry if watching someone play an old demo isn't my cup of tea.

Unless you are going to Gamescom you won‘t be able to watch the LP‘s anyway.

The ATR is going to be an hour long I think, and there will be three Q&A sessions, I assume most if not all of those will have new information.

theofficefan99

Oh my god can you guys please stop overreacting? They will show new footage. In the last ATR, there was a picture of young Noctis hugging Regis in a full suit of armor. That clearly has nothing to do with Duscae.

A lot of you just whine first, think later.

wmlk

Oh my god can you guys please stop overreacting? They will show new footage. In the last ATR, there was a picture of young Noctis hugging Regis in a full suit of armor. That clearly has nothing to do with Duscae.

A lot of you just whine first, think later.

When officefan is the one telling people not to overreact, then you pretty much know that there's some major overreaction from everyone.

But yeah, I see a lot of overreaction as well. I think the original thread title kind of got this whole thing going lol. It's kinda funny.

I don't see anything from the schedule that contradicts what Tabata said about it being a major blowout.

wmlk

Guys, it's impossible for you to tune in to Duscae. Unless you want to fly to Cologne or something to watch these guys.

Falk

that puzzling face
Guys, I have some secret insider info. Square Enix (well, Squaresoft) in the late 80s actually built a rocket ship and launched it. This was when they were about to go out of business (hence the name of the game "FINAL" Fantasy) and were thinking of switching industries.

Anyway that rocket is somewhere in the vicinity of Alpha Centauri right now due to a bug in the programming, but they're planning to broadcast Episode Duscae for the Centaurians over there.

Now that that insider info has been made public, all of you can proudly proclaim how you're going to refuse to watch the Centaurian Duscae broadcast, even if there's no way for you to do it.

edit: can i has verified poster status

Guys, I have some secret insider info. Square Enix (well, Squaresoft) in the late 80s actually built a rocket ship and launched it. This was when they were about to go out of business (hence the name of the game "FINAL" Fantasy) and were thinking of switching industries.

Anyway that rocket is somewhere in the vicinity of Alpha Centauri right now due to a bug in the programming, but they're planning to broadcast Episode Duscae for the Centaurians over there.

Now that that insider info has been made public, all of you can proudly proclaim how you're going to refuse to watch the Centaurian Duscae broadcast, even if there's no way for you to do it.

edit: can i has verified poster status

pre order abandoned

Top Bottom