• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Main characters and Japanese voice cast revealed

Ties

Banned
Why should he?

He doesn't have to , there is been plent of females and all female teams in ff.

Now a guy has a bunch of guy friends.

I do not see your point?

There are plenty of other final fantasy games where you can facilitate your need, PLAY THEM.
Why should I forestall my enjoyment of one of my favorite series because it "facilitates my need."

What does that even mean? Just because I got the entertainment I wanted from a piece of media does not mean I stop getting excited for something new in that series.

I think there is bound to be some Noctis and Stella action in the story. Maybe the black haired chick joins in too. Either as part of the party, or her just being around to assist in a difficult situation.
I will prefer one romantic scene like the "Spring" one in Final Fantasy X, please.

Wazzy

Banned
Why should he?

He doesn't have to , there is been plent of females and all female teams in ff.

Now a guy has a bunch of guy friends.

I do not see your point?

There are plenty of other final fantasy games where you can facilitate your need, PLAY THEM.

Explain why it matters that we want a female character? Final Fantasy has been full of diversity for every mainline game, why suddenly should I be fine with them taking a step backwards by doing an all male cast? The reason a female cast is different is because it's rare in videogames for them to have females in prominent roles.

Why do you and others care that we want a female to join? I honestly do not understand the defensive attitude, especially when a game like this already has two female characters presented, we just don't know their roles.

Oh and I have played every Final Fantasy.

Verendus

Banned
I will prefer one romantic scene like the "Spring" one in Final Fantasy X, please.
I meant they would fight together, either as her joining in to help the party or part of the party itself. My poor wording in retrospect, I admit.

Although, I'm sure you'll get your romantic scene too.

Village

Explain why it matters that we want a female character? Final Fantasy has been full of diversity for every mainline game, why suddenly should I be fine with them taking a step backwards by doing an all male cast? The reason a female cast is different is because it's rare in videogames for them to have females in prominent roles.

Why do you and others care that we want a female to join? I honestly do not understand the defensive attitude, especially when a game like this already has two female characters presented, we just don't know their roles.

Oh and I have played every Final Fantasy.

How is it taking a step backwards. This guy has dude friends, fun fact not everyone is going to be in everything ever.

You said yourself you said final fantasy is filled with diversity , that said then why is it an issue for 1 game they decided buncha dudes. Things happen with a buncha dudes all the time, this isnt unreasonable.

And to be quite honest, on the female front they are fine , they need to work on characters of different race.

Why should I forestall my enjoyment of one of my favorite series because it "facilitates my need."

What does that even mean? Just because I got the entertainment I wanted from a piece of media does not mean I stop getting excited for something new in that series.

If you enjoyment of final fantasy hinges on the notion that there needs to be at least one playable person who is a woman.

You might not like final fantasy.

Artemisia

Banned
The reason a female cast is different is because it's rare in videogames for them to have females in prominent roles.

Exactly. It is disingenuous to compare all female casts, which rarely happen in any type of media, to all male casts which are commonplace.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Every game must have a 1:1 ratio of dicks to chicks.

Thus spoke Zarathanita.

Ties

Banned
How is it taking a step backwards. This guy has dude friends, fun fact not everyone is going to be in everything ever.

You said yourself you said final fantasy is filled with diversity , that said then why is it an issue for 1 game they decided buncha dudes. Things happen with a buncha dudes all the time, this isnt unreasonable.

And to be quite honest, on the female front they are fine , they need to work on characters of different race.

If you enjoyment of final fantasy hinges on the notion that there needs to be at least one playable person who is a woman.

I didn't say that my enjoyment hinges on the notion that there is a playable female. I have said that I would like a female protagonist in the game, is there something wrong with that? I'll still purchase the game in the long run, but my preference still lies in having a female avatar when I'm running through a game.

Village

Exactly. It is disingenuous to compare all female casts, which rarely happen in any type of media, to all male casts which are commonplace.

That would be interesting if we weren't talking about a series who not only puts female characters in important roles in the story , frequently. They put them in the drive's seat.

But they do that.

If that FF decided after all that diverse gender representation, that it is dude time, I do not think anyone has a right to complain really.

I didn't say that my enjoyment hinges on the notion that there is a playable female. I have said that I would like a female protagonist in the game, is there something wrong with that? I'll still purchase the game in the long run, but my preference still lies in having a female avatar when I'm running through a game.

And my point is that there is plenty of games with female protagonists in the ff series, and there will plenty more.

So if one doesn't that 1 out of ... how many?

Village

Final Fantasy doesn't exist in a vacuum.

Final fantasy also doesn't owe anything to anyone. And this coming from a person who thinks final fantasy needs to step there race game up.

So if final fantasy decides it is dudes day out, after all the gender diversity they have had, who cares.

anaron

Final fantasy also doesn't owe anything to anyone. And this coming from a person who thinks final fantasy needs to step there race game up.

So if final fantasy decides it is dudes day out, after all the gender diversity they have had, who cares.

Screw progress, who cares!

Ties

Banned

Let me apply this argument to something you are advocating.

So, according to your logic: Sazh was the first black character featured in a mainline Final Fantasy game, hell, I'll throw out Square Enix JRPG. Because Sazh's existence already fulfills the quota to have racial diversity in the series, that allows Square to throw all the progress out the window in the next entry?

I don't think so.

Village

Screw progress, who cares!

Mhm~

yep screw progress

vanille-ff13-hot-481.jpg

Because we are pretending like this girl isnt the face of final fantasy right now, nope . She got 3 games in a row, but no that didn't happen.

Final fantasy is dude bro shooter.

Ties

Banned
Mhm~

yep screw progress

vanille-ff13-hot-481.jpg

Because we are pretending like this girl isnt the face of final fantasy right now, nope . She got 3 games in a row, but no that didn't happen.

Final fantasy is dude bro shooter.
Why does it matter if Lightning is the face of Final Fantasy right now?

Square is already planning sequels that follow up on XV, so Noctis will take that spot shortly. Anyhow, this is hardly relevant considering that the aforementioned guy is the one being displayed front and center in Final Fantasy XV.

Kyon

Banned
As much as I PRAISE woman on a daily basis. I bet y'all anything that Stella still has an important role in this game. I also LOVE the PANDERING tbh all those boys lined up.

A gay's wet dream ie me.

The best FF game ever made had an all female cast. The soon to be Queen of the new FF generation Stella is coming so bring it.

LIGHTNING COULD NEVER EVER

Blasty

So, according to your logic: Sazh was the first black character featured in a mainline Final Fantasy game, hell, I'll throw out Square Enix JRPG. Because Sazh's existence already fulfills the quota to have racial diversity in the series, that allows Square to throw all the progress out the window in the next entry?

I don't think so.

That's not what he's saying.

Because almost every Final Fantasy has had a racially diverse cast (not in actuality), it's okay for them to make a game with an all white cast.

That's closer. EDIT: I'm not saying if I agree or disagree.

Frankly, I don't see why we're arguing.

Wazzy

Banned

Women have already been established in the game, why do you keep speaking as if there is only men in this? Stellah and the black haired girl are two character's that we have no idea what their roles are. We have two females established, all we ask is that at least one of them be playable or they introduce another female to join the crew.

If you can't understand why not having diversity is an issue for people, with a series that has done a great job with it, then I don't know what else to say.

Don't talk about Final Fantasy as if your opinion of it is the only one. Final Fantasy has many parts to it that people adore such as romance, diverse cast, battle system, character interaction, etc.

Because they weren't in the FRONT. So the feminists or whatever don't want this game :/

You know, as a fellow X-2 fan, it's pretty disappointing to see a post like this from you. Especially claiming something no one here has said.

Village

Why does it matter if Lightning is the face of Final Fantasy right now?

Square is already planning sequels that follow up on XV, so Noctis will take that spot shortly. Anyhow, this is hardly relevant considering that the aforementioned guy is the one being displayed front and center in Final Fantasy XV.

So you think that ff 15 will just keep its all male cast. Because I would assume that they would change the protag's back up dancers which they so oft do.

And what does it matter, well It shows that square enix isnt afraid of making women important. There is a bunch of dudes in one thing, one thing. The world isn't ending.

I don't think so.

That isnt my logic there has been 2 black dudes featured in mane line ff games, they were both bad.

That isn't the same ... say bunches of important women and female protagonists.

2 compared to... howmany?

Are you resorting to a sematics argumement

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man

I don't think so.
What about Barret? :p

edit: I do understand what you're saying though. I hope there will be a few more (female) character reveals as time goes on.

Manu

Poor Barret.

EDIT: Ah, god dammit.

It'll be interesting to see how the PS4 plays into the development time. Maybe the fact that it already saw development time on PS3 will speed things up, unless they scrapped everything.

I also wonder if this is a generation where we'll see a lot of previous gen production values made to look better on improved hardware, with the bigger budget games/more proficient teams making better use of said hardware. We were already dealing with HD assets.

Wazzy

Banned
I'd bet anything Stella is the main love interest for Noctis and plays a major role in the story.

Honestly, I would love that. I like romance in Final Fantasy, it's one of my guilty pleasures from the series.

I don't understand why people are saying we're asking the female to be the protagonist, all we're asking for is a female to be part of the crew. We're now waiting to see if Stella or the other girls roles fit into that.

anaron

XV has Stella and that black haired girl so far. Why are we arguing?

It's more of a reactionary observation. Some us think -- based on what's been revealed -- that just two females in a cast of predominantly male ones, is lame.

Because they weren't in the FRONT. So the feminists or whatever don't want this game :/

Excuse me?

daniels

I hope no one at square changes his vision of the story to fit some diversity quota. Maybe some girls join anyway I mean we don’t know, either way I don’t see a problem. I don’t get the argument that the FF-x2 all female cast doesn’t count because it was a spin-off … FF15 also started as a spin-off not a “Main” Final Fantasy and now that it has a 15 at the end of the title its suddenly a huge deal really lol? And I just remembered in Lightning returns you only play as Lightning ! :-O So now we have more Final Fantasys with female only cast than male only! maybe I should start complaining about diversity on a forum or something :/

Village

I don't think anyone here, on either side of the argument, thinks it does. Some of us are just disappointed is all, nothing more.

It is fine to want better things out of your entertainment. However gender diversity isnt exactly an issue in ol' FF. I am all for criticisms, but I think this is a completely unnecessary on.

I think the thing FF should adress is this.

" hey new ff game everyone looks all anime they god anime features and everything "

"what about about the black guy"

" he is already black, he already usual looking"

The everyone looks anime accept for that 1 black guy thing is something that may need to be touched upon.

Zoe

I'd bet anything Stella is the main love interest for Noctis and plays a major role in the story.
A major role isn't good enough. They want to play her.

(If she becomes playable I wouldn't want to know until it happens. She's on the opposing side right now)

anaron

It is fine to want better things out of your entertainment. However gender diversity isnt exactly an issue in ol' FF. I am all for criticisms, but I think this is a completely unnecessary on.

I think the thing FF should adress is this.

" hey new ff game everyone looks all anime they god anime features and everything "

"what about about the black guy"

" he is already black, he already usual looking"

The everyone looks anime accept for that 1 black guy thing is something that may need to be touched upon.

Why do assume that's we're exclusively taking issue with the gender representation? I'm personally disappointed on both fronts.

Kyon

Banned
Nomura had a vision this is his creation. I support this game. It has an important and FLAWLESS female Stella and a new girl that we haven't heard about probably more. Oh and there's the Dragoon lady did y'all forget her? X-2 was going to also be an all male cast at one point actually but they changed that. Things can CHANGE just wait is what I'm saying

Top Bottom