• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Main characters and Japanese voice cast revealed

sholvaco

Neo Member
Well that's your loss. I'll be completely honest with you, I'll take whatever this universe has to offer in comparison to the years and years of the flowery and cartoon-y garbage we got prior.

I could take a cooler/classier approach to the series as well, but I don't feel this rehash of ca. 2005 anime (Bleach, Gantz, Naruto) visual concepts has stood the test of time. I could accept it back then as an alternative that could eventually spawn a similar juxtaposition of light and dark concepts in following mainline games, but this particular game has been in the oven for so long it simply feels outdated to me, hopelessly so.

It could still redeem itself by offering interesting, solid gameplay mechanics and even remotely competent story and dialogue writing. The former might actually come true if I go by the Gameplay Analysis thread, the latter... Of course in spite of my complaints I'm most likely still going to buy this because I'm whore like that. :p

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
wow Cor Leonis is hot...

Square Enix still IMO makes the most attractive characters both male and female

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I thought this was interesting:

T9jQvg2.jpg

If you look at the bottom portion of the letters of FINAL FANTASY XV, they're smudged with white. I believe this is a first for a FINAL FANTASY logo (although FFIX's had a highlighted/colored IX).

It seems to me Stella and Noctis are gonna have a duel somewhere. Stella is eerily looking like to be in a Villain role here IMO.

Don't we already know from interviews a long time ago that Stella and Noctis are on opposing sides of the war or something, so they're adversaries even though they'd rather not be. Similar to Romeo and Juliet.

Pretty sure that was confirmed.

ED Cantu

Don't we already know from interviews a long time ago that Stella and Noctis are on opposing sides of the war or something, so they're adversaries even though they'd rather not be. Similar to Romeo and Juliet.

Pretty sure that was confirmed.

Yeah I remeber something about Noctis and Stella not wanting to fight eachother but the circumstances will force them to.

The first lines of the new trailer imply that they are somewhat close (childhood friends apparently) but something happens and they separate, it seems the story will be like Hamlet with a little bit of Romeo and Juliet.

Zoe

The first lines of the new trailer imply that they are somewhat close (childhood friends apparently) but something happens and they separate, it seems the story will be like Hamlet with a little bit of Romeo and Juliet.
One thing I noticed though is she speaks very formally to him--nothing like his other friends. It will be interesting to see what their relationship really is.

Anyways, going back to the hooded figure. What are his powers exactly?

idUnF7cxvkEZ9.gif

Looking at the 2008 trailer, the above bit is from the scene when they attack each other. We all know Noctis has his swords but what exactly is the power of that hooded figure. I am curious.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Im not a FF kind of guy but i dig that the character models have imperfections on their skins: Like zits,scars,spots and stuff.

Moar Balthier pls

Ties

Banned
But that doesn't mean you should add a female solely for the sake of having a female.
I don't understand why the request to integrate a playable female is so nonsensical to this crowd.

No one here is asking for a shoehorned playable female. People want a well-written female character that fits solely within the universe in the game, and that isn't too much to ask considering Final Fantasy's track record with female protagonists. I'm sure Square is withholding information about potential protagonists, but I would like some sort of confirmation.

anaron

I don't understand why the request to integrate a playable female is so nonsensical to this crowd.

No one here is asking for a shoehorned playable female. People want a well-written female character that fits solely within the universe in the game, and that isn't too much to ask considering Final Fantasy's track record with female protagonists. I'm sure Square is withholding information about potential protagonists, but I would like some sort of confirmation.

Seriously, god forbid we get some diversity.

Verendus

Banned
On the sequel talk, what could be really cool is, if they set them in different time periods. For example, this is one story, it's a done scenario and FF15 finishes it.

FF15-2 can then create a different story, use the existing assets and add some more elements to change up the world, and give a scenario set a few hundred years into the future or past. It won't take as much effort, but still give the game a fresh feeling.

I'd love for them to try something like that. It'd be much more interesting.

You don't have to use the same characters. You can tweak it and make it work in different ways. Think of it as if you had FFX. That story was done and finished. Then FFX-2 was actually Jecht and Auron and that other guy, and it showed their journey. They can still use a lot of the existing stuff, but change it up enough, and it gives them opportunity to do as much as they can with the setting. The new scenario isn't handicapped by the old one this way.

The worst thing is to finish one story, then try to unnaturally branch more scenarios involving the same characters off it. You just avoid it altogether.

Artemisia

Banned

Seriously, god forbid we get some diversity.

#prayforblackhairedgirlwithgreeneyes

Zoe

And from what we've seen of the universe so far, a female character doesn't fit into the cast.

The past three main entries have been centered around women. This one is a breath of fresh air.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
"Sometimes I wish we had the easiness Western FPS (first-person shooters) have, to make everyone bald. We're a company that's known for unique hairstyles, but in a way we're running out of ideas."

Interesting.
That'd be a good zinger... if only his own designs hadn't been so goddamn awful for the past decade. He's running out of ideas in more than one way, lol.

Village

Didn't we have a ff game with all playable females?

Why is an all male crew somehow taboo, there are plenty of games, I think all the ff games with playable females. Maybe noctis has male friends, Its weird because I am usually on the other side of the fence on this issue. But not every game is going to have a girl in it, this one final fantasy out of all the final fantasy does have a girl a part of the main crew.

And this is coming from a person who is less represented in final fantasy than that.

Ties

Banned
And from what we've seen of the universe so far, a female character doesn't fit into the cast.

The past three main entries have been centered around women. This one is a breath of fresh air.
What part of the universe have we seen that relays that a female character simply does not fit? The subdued color palette? The dark, militaristic undertone of the plot? Because, as far as I'm aware, everything that this universe is trying to demonstrate is present in another Fabula Novala Crystalis game:

The lore derives itself from the same series. There is a crystal. There is a war-torn nation and battered protagonists as a consequence of that crystal's power. There are deities that hold a prodigious amount of power and hold in the setting. The universe that Final Fantasy XV has absolutely allows a female protagonist to appear.

And I disagree about your last statement simply because a female has not been featured as the primary protagonist in the game in marketing. It has always been Noctis and his entourage from the very beginning ever since its unveil several years ago.
I don't believe there is anything inherently wrong with having a female featured in a Final Fantasy game anyhow, considering that several of its mainline entries centers on a male.

Why is an all male crew somehow taboo, there are plenty of games, I think all the ff games with playable females. Maybe noctis has male friends, Its weird because I am usually on the other side of the fence on this issue. But not every game is going to have a girl in it, this one final fantasy out of all the final fantasy does have a girl a part of the main crew.

And this is coming from a person who is less represented in final fantasy than that.
You see, Final Fantasy X-2 is a sequel to X. I don't consider X-2 to be a mainline game looking at the Final Fantasy series as a whole, but rather, a game that is only a part of its self-contained canon. I wouldn't mind if Final Fantasy XV, remained a subsidiary of the Fabula Novala Crystallis series, but Square has incorporated the game itself to be a mainline entry. Ever since its inception, mainline Final Fantasy has featured at least one female, and I find it a bit suspect that they decided not to incorporate one in here.

ZenTzen

how does it not fit, we have stella, who supposedly has powers and a pretty important character, shes supposed to be an antagonist but apparently an unwilling one, shes also from a country that was conquered by what appears to be the main antagonists, doesnt mean she wont become a part of the main party, we also have the black haired girl who we dont know anything about besides that picture with all the other characters, we barelly know anything about the characters or whats gonna happen and its not like in previous FFs we knew who all the party members were besides a few games, and its already been stated by Nomura when this was still named Versus XIII that there will be other party members besides those 4, like the new guy Cor, other party members are more than likely, and it may as well be women

Blasty

And I disagree about your last statement simply because a female has not been featured as the primary protagonist in the game in marketing. It has always been Noctis and his entourage from the very beginning ever since its unveil several years ago.

I think Zoe was referring to FF XIII, but I could be wrong. Given that, I'm not sure what's wrong with having an all male party (assuming we've even seen all the party members).

It doesn't matter to me, personally.

Village

What part of the universe have we seen that relays that a female character simply does not fit? The subdued color palette? The dark, militaristic undertone of the plot? Because, as far as I'm aware, everything that this universe is trying to demonstrate is present in another Fabula Novala Crystalis game:

The lore derives itself from the same series. There is a crystal. There is a war-torn nation and battered protagonists as a consequence of that crystal's power. There are deities that hold a prodigious amount of power and hold in the setting. The universe that Final Fantasy XV has absolutely allows a female protagonist to appear.

I don't believe there is anything inherently wrong with having a female featured in a Final Fantasy game anyhow, considering that several of its mainline entries centers on a male.

The creator wanted a bunch of dudes in the game that is it. Final fantasy has no issue putting a majority females in their games and making them protagonists.

This time its dude bro time.

That is it and that is all.

Zoe

The part where everyone in the party so far is a close friend or retainer of a prince of a kingdom that is at war with every other nation in the world.

What are you talking about? I'm talking about how X, XII, and XIII all centered around women. Now it's a guy's turn.

Ties

Banned
The creator wanted a bunch of dudes in the game that is it. Final fantasy has no issue putting a majority females in their games and making them protagonists.

This time its dude bro time.

That is it and that is all.
But Square has this track record in featuring females in their games, especially their mainline FF's.

Why stop that trend now?

Wazzy

Banned

We have not had a mainline FF with all females. X-2 is a sequel.

I seriously don't understand why people are getting offended that people want females in the cast. Are you really shocked that people want diversity, especially when it's been in the franchise up until now?

Ties

Banned
The part where everyone in the party so far is a close friend or retainer of a prince of a kingdom that is at war with every other nation in the world.

What are you talking about? I'm talking about how X, XII, and XIII all centered around women. Now it's a guy's turn.
I know that, I was simply mentioning that that XV clearly already centers around a male. What's the problem in having a female tag along?

And what? Noctis can't have a female friend anymore?

Village

I know that, I was simply mentioning that that XV clearly already centers around a male. What's the problem in having a female tag along?

And what? Noctis can't have a female friend anymore?

Because there are plenty of people in real life who close friend circle is all dudes. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Verendus

Banned
I think there is bound to be some Noctis and Stella action in the story. Maybe the black haired chick joins in too. Either as part of the party, or her just being around to assist in a difficult situation.

Wazzy

Banned
Go to the OT and try asking that.

It's not unfathomable for a guy, much less one who is sheltered, to only be surrounded by other guys.
No one is saying that but this game isn't taking place in one area. He's bound to meet people and it would look extremely ridiculous if none of them were female.

Because there are plenty of people in real life who close friend circle is all dudes. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Why would we compare real life to a fantasy setting? It's fine that Noctis starts off with a group of dudes, all we are asking for is that on his journey he hopefully picks up a couple female characters to bring diversity to the crew. I like seeing interactions between new characters, it's boring when they all already know eachother.

Ties

Banned

Go to the OT and try asking that.

It's not unfathomable for a guy, much less one who is sheltered, to only be surrounded by other guys.
I don't understand this argument whatsoever? Why does it matter whether a guy in personal is only surrounded by males? The story leaves much to interpretation, I'm sure it delves further than trusting close friends. I can cite pretty much every JRPG ever that has a female protagonist from Persona 4 to Suikoden, comprising situations brings the protagonists together. So why does this argument apply?

Village

No one is saying that but this game isn't taking place in one area. He's bound to meet people and it would look extremely ridiculous if none of them were female.

Why would we compre real life to a fantasy setting? It's fine that Noctis starts off with a group of dudes, all we are asking for is that on his journey he hopefully picks up a couple female characters to bring diversity to the crew. I like seeing interactions between new characters, it's boring when they all already know eachother.

Why should he?

He doesn't have to , there is been plent of females and all female teams in ff.

Now a guy has a bunch of guy friends.

I do not see your point?

There are plenty of other final fantasy games where you can facilitate your need, PLAY THEM.

Top Bottom