• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

MilkBeard

Whew. Finished chapter 13 and started on 14. Have to stop playing now, but I'm itching to get back.

Chapter 13 I found to be fairly decent, although I do agree that it was a bit long, and I found the enemies to be a bit easy. For my playthrough, I did the only reasonable thing and switched to Gladio's path from a save room, finished it, then reloaded my save and continued as Noctis. There are some things they could do to make it better, but I didn't think it was too bad. I don't understand the hyperbolic comments about it being the 'worst design in video games' that some people have said. However, on a second playthrough, I think I would just choose Gladio's path because it's shorter and fun.

But holy shit at the end of chapter 13. That was the kind of shit I was hoping for, and I'm glad they finally delivered. Even despite chapter 13 being something entirely different, the end had me feeling like classic Final Fantasy.

I'm now in
World of Ruin
and I have to go to work but I'm thinking about when I can get back to play.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Whew. Finished chapter 13 and started on 14. Have to stop playing now, but I'm itching to get back.

Chapter 13 I found to be fairly decent, although I do agree that it was a bit long, and I found the enemies to be a bit easy. For my playthrough, I did the only reasonable thing and switched to Gladio's path from a save room, finished it, then reloaded my save and continued as Noctis. There are some things they could do to make it better, but I didn't think it was too bad. I don't understand the hyperbolic comments about it being the 'worst design in video games' that some people have said. However, on a second playthrough, I think I would just choose Gladio's path because it's shorter and fun.

But holy shit at the end of chapter 13. That was the kind of shit I was hoping for, and I'm glad they finally delivered. Even despite chapter 13 being something entirely different, the end had me feeling like classic Final Fantasy.

I'm now in
World of Ruin

You're maybe 1, max 2 hours away from the ending if you just follow the quest marker. If you can make that time later in the day or on the weekend, it's definitely worth it. After the ending you'll be able to play around in the world at your leisure.

MilkBeard

You're maybe 1, max 2 hours away from the ending if you just follow the quest marker. If you can make that time later in the day or on the weekend, it's definitely worth it. After the ending you'll be able to play around in the world at your leisure.
So does the game allow you to choose to go into NG + after beating the boss? Either way, I remember someone saying you could return to the open world right before the boss(or at least around that time).

adamsapple

So does the game allow you to choose to go into NG + after beating the boss? Either way, I remember someone saying you could return to the open world right before the boss(or at least around that time).

Slight spoilers.

You can summon the dog Umbra at any rest point in the world of ruin and go back to the world of the past any time. Once you beat the story, the game throws you back in the world of ruin but you can, again, go to the nearest rest point, summon Umbra and go to the world of the past to complete quests/hunts etc.

Once you beat the story, the new game option on the main menu turns into "New Game+" but it also lets you make a separate post-game save to return to the world. New game + let's you retain the following:

Experience and levels, Ascension skill progression, Survival, Fishing, Cooking and Photography levels., Outfits (it will literally load you at the beginning of the game with the clothes you had in your last save, so you might want to change into something fitting for that first scene), Weapons (The Engine Blade is an exception, and it will be reset to its starting conditions), Royal Arms, Accessories, Items, Gil, Spells, Ignis' Recipes, Regalia Customization and customization colors, decals and components (excluding the Type-F upgrade, unfortunately. No flying from the beginning), Ability to rent chocobos and your chocobo customization.

http://www.dualshockers.com/how-final-fantasy-xv-new-game-plus-works-what-carries-over/

MilkBeard

Slight spoilers.

You can summon the dog Umbra at any rest point in the world of ruin and go back to the world of the past any time. Once you beat the story, the game throws you back in the world of ruin but you can, again, go to the nearest rest point, summon Umbra and go to the world of the past to complete quests/hunts etc.

Once you beat the story, the new game option on the main menu turns into "New Game+" but it also lets you make a separate post-game save to return to the world. New game + let's you retain the following:
Alright, got it. Unfortunately can't finish it now. Will have to wait for tomorrow.

EDIT: I will just stay at end game after beating, and I will not start a NG+ until Tabata releases a hard mode. Come on Tabata! NG+ hard mode. Let's goooo.

GTC 2017: NVIDIA VOLTA GPU demonstrating Kingsglaive: FFXV

Finished !

Everything leading up to the ending was confusing as fuck .. but the ending itself was pretty nice.

You guys .. are the best

Leaving the rest as thumbs and spoiler tagging just in case as some of these might be potential spoilers.

:,)

Hope you enjoyed!

I'm now in
World of Ruin

I really love Chapter 13 from a narrative point of view and I really dig how the Chapter builds up all the way to its conclusion. I understand some peoples grievances, but I agree with your conclusion on the chapter. :)

Alright, got it. Unfortunately can't finish it now. Will have to wait for tomorrow.

EDIT: I will just stay at end game after beating, and I will not start a NG+ until Tabata releases a hard mode. Come on Tabata! NG+ hard mode. Let's goooo.

Oh man. I'd love a hard mode. After Episode Prompto, I plan to do a No-HUD playthrough of the game.

MilkBeard

I forgot to mention how awesome the ring effects are. In some ways, I want to play around with just using the ring and magic, for some kind of pseudo-sorcery type of "build". I know it probably won't work in 100% of scenarios, but I think you can trash most enemies with well-timed Holy dodges and Death.

Man, I've been playing this a ton since I got back into it. Still have a ton of things I don't like about it. But something keeps pulling me back.

I think my favorite thing about it is just discovering random dungeons throughout the world. All of them have been very unique in their own right.

I stopped playing late last year due to other stuff and the promise of major patches. I know there was some major things added with the patch that came with the first DLC pack but do we know if the main game is still getting some major upgrades in the future?

adamsapple

OK Holy shit Death Magic is just game breaking ...

I killed the
level 99 Adamantoise
after a few failed tries of the triangle death spell.

MilkBeard

Whew. Finally finished the game. Whelp, what an experience. I'm sad that it's over. There may have been some storytelling issues throughout the game, but that was one of the most satisfying video game endings I've ever seen. Also, the
reveal of the Amano artwork and the changed title screen and music was awesome...such a cool touch.
I am leaving the game on the title screen right now just to hear this nice music.

Even with its problems, it was still an immensely enjoyable experience, and ranks as one of my favorite Final Fantasy games. Can't wait for more DLC and extra stuff that Tabata has in store. I still haven't played Gladio's DLC yet, so I will start that tomorrow.

OK Holy shit Death Magic is just game breaking ...

I killed the
level 99 Adamantoise
after a few failed tries of the triangle death spell.

Yep, the ring is OP, although Death doesn't work on all enemies.
Alterna,
the triangle move
is seriously OP and I was using it for high level enemies, as long as I don't get interrupted.

One other thing, I beat the game at level 50 or so, but some of the enemies in
Insomnia
were seriously kicking my ass. I still haven't beaten those Nagas, because my party was constantly getting toaded and wiped. Even Leviathan didn't finish them off.

alternade

So I just got to chapter 14 and honestly my opinion of this game has soured so much. This has been one of the worst FF games I ever played. Confusing as shit storyline, crap way to get money which in turn effects how you get better weapons. Gear is worthless for the most part, magic is even worse.

MilkBeard

Just finished Episode Gladio. That was pretty fun. The combat is pretty good, and feels more like a beat'em up. It actually reminded me of playing Sword of the Berserk on Dreamcast.

The little bit of backstory was pretty cool too. I'm hyped for Episode Prompto now.

So I just got to chapter 14 and honestly my opinion of this game has soured so much. This has been one of the worst FF games I ever played. Confusing as shit storyline, crap way to get money which in turn effects how you get better weapons. Gear is worthless for the most part, magic is even worse.

That's unfortunate, but everyone is going to have a different opinion. Conversely, I think this is one of my favorite Final Fantasies. I would rank it right after FF6 and FF7. But to be honest, I've come to understand this about the series. When one of the games speaks to you, you connect with it. However, everyone has their own experiences, and the opinions are wildly different.

alternade

That's unfortunate, but everyone is going to have a different opinion. Conversely, I think this is one of my favorite Final Fantasies. I would rank it right after FF6 and FF7. But to be honest, I've come to understand this about the series. When one of the games speaks to you, you connect with it. However, everyone has their own experiences, and the opinions are wildly different.

I'm just curious about what you feel the game hits the mark on?

Everything to me felt unbalanced or convoluted for sake of being new and different. I just feel for being in production for a decade this is pathetic and not what was promised.

Everything to me felt unbalanced or convoluted for sake of being new and different. I just feel for being in production for a decade this is pathetic and not what was promised.

The game wasn't worked on for a decade.

MilkBeard

I'm not really judging it on what it "should have been" based on hype or bloated expectations. I just judged it on how much I enjoyed it as I played, and how connected I felt to the characters and what happened in the story.

It's not perfect, but looking back, my favorites in the series (6 and 7) are far from perfect as well. It's more about the personal connection to the world and the characters (and what inevitably happens in the end). I felt more connected to the characters and world than most other games in the series, and the ending is probably my favorite in the series. And, although flawed, the battle system remained fun throughout the whole game (I'm still chugging along in the world and discovering stuff after beating it as we speak).

But really, it's a personal thing.

And, yeah, what NoctisvsStar said as well. The game was actually in active development for about 4 years.

adamsapple

20170514091303omb6x.png

~58 hours in. What a ride. Game had some shortcomings but overall it was definitely a huge improvement over the entire FFXIII trilogy.

Time to move onto World of Final Fantasy.

MilkBeard

~58 hours in. What a ride. Game had some shortcomings but overall it was definitely a huge improvement over the entire FFXIII trilogy.

How'd you get the plat in 58 hours? I'm near there, but I'm only about 65% of the way to the plat, but I don't expect to get it for at least another 30-40 hours, but I guess my playstyle is more free-roam. I wasn't really aiming to do everything.

adamsapple

There's no trophy for completing all hunts or doing every single side quests. The last 'side quest' trophy is for completing 80, I think.

I still have a bunch of hunts I didn't complete.

adamsapple

There is no way I'm platting this in that amount of time. I just got to chapter 8 and I'm 34 hours in already.

Chapter 9 onward aren't going to take you that long at all.

Also, I'm not ashamed to admit I spammed the hell out of the death magic once I got it to make combat a lot easier :p

MilkBeard

How do you get the option to let Ignis equip polearms?

I'm not sure if this answers your question but you can equip him with spears/lances in his secondary weapon slot. You should be able to do it as soon as you acquire a weapon of this type (as far as I can remember).

Scroll through weapon menu with l1/r1 while selecting the secondary weapon slot to find polearms.

Kweh

I'm not sure if this answers your question but you can equip him with spears/lances in his secondary weapon slot. You should be able to do it as soon as you acquire a weapon of this type (as far as I can remember).

Scroll through weapon menu with l1/r1 while selecting the secondary weapon slot to find polearms.

Ah okay I was trying to change his primary weapon I think, that makes sense thanks.

I'm almost 20 hours in and discovering new things still - today I accidentally found out that you can mix items with elemency, so you can make spells that damage and heal. Pretty neat. On the subject of spells, do they hurt your own party members ?

Ah okay I was trying to change his primary weapon I think, that makes sense thanks.

I'm almost 20 hours in and discovering new things still - today I accidentally found out that you can mix items with elemency, so you can make spells that damage and heal. Pretty neat. On the subject of spells, do they hurt your own party members ?
20 hours in and you just discovered that sheesh. Spells are the bomb!(some of them literally)

Yes they hurt your members but it's so lil damage it's whatever. The main hinderance is it stops you from using their skills for a couple seconds

jrush64

Banned
I finally finished the game. My opinions, it's a really great game but it fails at story telling. The story had so much potential. Like there was so much potential but the game didn't tell the story well. So much misused and useless characters.

The ending really turned the game around for me. The game started off on a high, went to a very very deep low but ended very high.

The ending was amazing. Like it's up there with Final Fantasy IX's ending as one of the best ever. It was great and beautiful, I almost shed a tear.

The music was top notch. Shimomura is a goddess no doubt.

Overall, its a great Final Fantasy game but not close to being one of the best. At least now I can close the chapter on Fabula Nova Crystallis Final Fantasy.

Man, those level 130 Tyreants are rough. It's ridiculous how they are just invincible half the time.

And how the hell did the top scorer take them all out in 88 seconds?

Just finished Episode Gladio. That was pretty fun. The combat is pretty good, and feels more like a beat'em up. It actually reminded me of playing Sword of the Berserk on Dreamcast.

The little bit of backstory was pretty cool too. I'm hyped for Episode Prompto now.

Got to get that last trophy in Epiosde Gladiolus before Episode Prompto comes out. I am super pumped for it!

And really on where you would rank it!? That's awesome! ^_^

It's not perfect, but looking back, my favorites in the series (6 and 7) are far from perfect as well. It's more about the personal connection to the world and the characters (and what inevitably happens in the end). I felt more connected to the characters and world than most other games in the series, and the ending is probably my favorite in the series. And, although flawed, the battle system remained fun throughout the whole game (I'm still chugging along in the world and discovering stuff after beating it as we speak).

But really, it's a personal thing.

And, yeah, what NoctisvsStar said as well. The game was actually in active development for about 4 years.

Yeah. Every game has some flaw to it. For instance, the original FF is riddled with bugs and has many thing wrong with it. (such as certain magic not working and sometimes having the opposite effect of what it's supposed to do) But I still like it a great deal.

FFVIII is my favorite in the series (too soon to declare XV for me), and that game has a few flaws to it too. Same with my other favorites with VI,VII, and X.

And yet, most of the Final Fantasy games are some of my favorites because of how I connect with each one. :)

Woot! Hoping you keep coming back to the thread and game to give your thoughts on the updates and DLC. :)

I finally finished the game.

The ending really turned the game around for me. The game started off on a high, went to a very very deep low but ended very high.

The ending was amazing. Like it's up there with Final Fantasy IX's ending as one of the best ever. It was great and beautiful, I almost shed a tear.

The music was top notch. Shimomura is a goddess no doubt.

Overall, its a great Final Fantasy game but not close to being one of the best. At least now I can close the chapter on Fabula Nova Crystallis Final Fantasy.

I can respect that. I hope you come back to the thread to share with us what you think about the DLC and updates! :)

Man, those level 130 Tyreants are rough. It's ridiculous how they are just invincible half the time.

And how the hell did the top scorer take them all out in 88 seconds?

Yeah, they are super tough. They are invulnerable to specific weapons. One of those instances where knowing what weapons are strong and weak to the enemy. Every enemy has one, but these are one of those superbosses that it greatly helps to know what will cut it down.

From what I've heard is that it's weak to thunder spells and weapons.

I ended up just using Star of the Whatever. It didn't hit all that hard, but it did damage, and I burnt through a ton of items.

They don't seem to be weak against lightning. The Thunderbolt great sword, as well as Thundaga, still hit for purple numbers (though the -ga spells would still reliably hit for 9999 regardless). I didn't really prep for them, going in, as I didn't think there would be multiple Lv. 130 enemies.

MilkBeard

Been hitting up some of the extras, like getting Type-F (it really is cool to experience the take-off and landing for the first time) and now waiting for Cid to craft Ultima Weapon. Still have many armiger weapons missing, will have to tackle that soon.

I had a fun battle where two flaming-sword giants spawned one after the other, was a tough battle. Those guys give a pretty good fight, especially because they are immune to alterna and death.

adamsapple

Woot! Hoping you keep coming back to the thread and game to give your thoughts on the updates and DLC. :)

It'd be my pleasure. As it is right now, Episode Gladio isn't seemingly getting positive buzz. I'm gonna wait till all the DLC is out or if Ep Gladio goes on sale earlier before jumping in on that.

I ended up just using Star of the Whatever. It didn't hit all that hard, but it did damage, and I burnt through a ton of items.

They don't seem to be weak against lightning. The Thunderbolt great sword, as well as Thundaga, still hit for purple numbers (though the -ga spells would still reliably hit for 9999 regardless). I didn't really prep for them, going in, as I didn't think there would be multiple Lv. 130 enemies.

Oh? Someone said it and I thought they were correct. Even so, magic is super effective on them and have found them to be pretty good. Unicast III has been a lifesaver.

Been hitting up some of the extras, like getting Type-F (it really is cool to experience the take-off and landing for the first time) and now waiting for Cid to craft Ultima Weapon. Still have many armiger weapons missing, will have to tackle that soon.

I had a fun battle where two flaming-sword giants spawned one after the other, was a tough battle. Those guys give a pretty good fight, especially because they are immune to alterna and death.

The post-game has some really great content. Many fun battles and dungeons that challenge you and your knowledge of the gameplay mechanics.

It'd be my pleasure. As it is right now, Episode Gladio isn't seemingly getting positive buzz. I'm gonna wait till all the DLC is out or if Ep Gladio goes on sale earlier before jumping in on that.

Really? I always got the impression people actually really liked it. Especially since it's $5 people really felt that it was a great price for quite a bit of stuff. (Weapon, Costume, Story, different gameplay, some cool bosses)

Oh? Someone said it and I thought they were correct. Even so, magic is super effective on them and have found them to be pretty good. Unicast III has been a lifesaver.
I'm still level 87 (haven't beaten the game yet), so I'm fairly weak in that regard. I should probably go pick up some Wind-up Lord Vexxos for top tier spells, but, as I said, I really wasn't ready to face something that strong, so I went in stocked with Expericast. Whoops.

MilkBeard

I though Ep. Gladio was pretty good. Short, but I think it was satisfying enough for the $5. As I said in the previous post, the gameplay feels quite different than playing as Noctis, and I'm impressed with how they developed a new combat style for the DLC. The boss is cool too.

Buying the full package is best value, if I recall. I'm personally hyped for Episode Prompto after playing the first DLC.

Sorry. Meant to post here. I failed all of you. Was checking out the old Episode Prompto trailer thread while looking at this one. You have every right to shame me now.

FidZknJ.gif

MilkBeard

Recently found the crazy blacksmith in
Lestallum
and have started those quests. Fighting bennu (or whatever it was called) was pretty crazy. That thing was massive, but those drop parries felt so cool. Also,
Shiva
was summoned there too, which I found to be quite cool. I was expecting Ramuh or Titan.

EDIT: Also, I was listening to the OST and came over the "Game Over" theme, but I realized that I have never heard it. Is the "game over" function busted? The loading screen even says when Noctis' max health reaches zero, it is a game over, but I've had this happen a number of times near the end-game, but whenever this happens, it just zooms into Noct and waits for me to use a Phoenix Down. I check to make sure, but I'm using normal difficulty. Is there a timer for how long you can sit in this state?

Hey guys, quick question here.

I'm been interested in this game for a while but due to financial reasons decided to wait for a sale.

Well now the game is on sale for 30£ on the UK PSN store. My question is whether it's worth going for the version with the Season Pass? I'm not at all interested in the booster pack or the multiplayer expansion and since Episode Gladiolus is 4£ each, that'd mean that I could probably wait for a sale on the Season Pass or the DLC chapters and play them later.

Also is the game worth getting into now? Heard they've added a lot of stuff and fixed a lot of stuff. Have they added manual driving?

MilkBeard

I'm been interested in this game for a while but due to financial reasons decided to wait for a sale.

Well now the game is on sale for 30£ on the UK PSN store. My question is whether it's worth going for the version with the Season Pass? I'm not at all interested in the booster pack or the multiplayer expansion and since Episode Gladiolus is 4£ each, that'd mean that I could probably wait for a sale on the Season Pass or the DLC chapters and play them later.

Also is the game worth getting into now? Heard they've added a lot of stuff and fixed a lot of stuff. Have they added manual driving?

I'm sure they will add some more fixes, but the game is definitely at a point where you can play it as it is intended. I would recommend getting the whole season pass. Each episode will be small, but so far, they are fun little additions to the game. First DLC was definitely worth more than $5, considering you got about 1-2 hours of story/gameplay, a new weapon, new outfit, and a trial mode, not to mention you are controlling a character that plays completely different from the main game.

$30 is completely worth it for base game, I would recommend getting it at this price, unless you think you will be able to get the digital deluxe version on sale too.

Opinions vary on the game, but I found it to be quite fun, and it ranks as one of my favorite Final Fantasy games. The game definitely has its issues, even with any fixes that have been added. The story will be somewhat on the weak side until end-game.

Either way, even when you finish, there is great end-game content, so if you enjoyed playing the dungeons and fighting, you will have a lot to do after the main story.

EDIT: Driving is such that you can control it manually, but there are limitations. You can't drive off the road, but you can control it after chapter 3. I think their implementation is fine, as I don't care much about driving it off the road, because Chocobos are really fun and do exactly that when you are off the road.

I'm sure they will add some more fixes, but the game is definitely at a point where you can play it as it is intended. I would recommend getting the whole season pass. Each episode will be small, but so far, they are fun little additions to the game. First DLC was definitely worth more than $5, considering you got about 1-2 hours of story/gameplay, a new weapon, new outfit, and a trial mode, not to mention you are controlling a character that plays completely different from the main game.

$30 is completely worth it for base game, I would recommend getting it at this price, unless you think you will be able to get the digital deluxe version on sale too.

Opinions vary on the game, but I found it to be quite fun, and it ranks as one of my favorite Final Fantasy games. The game definitely has its issues, even with any fixes that have been added. The story will be somewhat on the weak side until end-game.

Either way, even when you finish, there is great end-game content, so if you enjoyed playing the dungeons and fighting, you will have a lot to do after the main story.

EDIT: Driving is such that you can control it manually, but there are limitations. You can't drive off the road, but you can control it after chapter 3. I think their implementation is fine, as I don't care much about driving it off the road, because Chocobos are really fun and do exactly that when you are off the road.
Ehhh screw it, no time like the present! I'm gonna get the Digital Premium edition for 40 pounds.

Thanks for the info :)

MilkBeard

Ehhh screw it, no time like the present! I'm gonna get the Digital Premium edition for 40 pounds.

Thanks for the info :)

One word of advice about the side content: a lot of people get burnt out early by doing as much side content as possible, and then the main story becomes super easy. Just play casually if possible (do a few sidequests here and there along the way) and you will stay at the right level for the story. You can always do everything after beating the game, as much as you want. Of course, if you love doing the sidequests a lot early game, then do what you find is fun.

MilkBeard

I generally like doing sidequests early but I don't mind doing them alongside the main story. Again, thanks for the info!

Yeah, whatever floats your boat, really. But it was one of those common things I saw early on in the OT thread.

Anyway, if you have time, it might be good to refresh yourself on the Brotherhood anime (it's all on youtube) to get an idea for the story and characters. The game is made so that you should know some things about the game's story before going in.

Recently found the crazy blacksmith in
Lestallum
and have started those quests. Fighting bennu (or whatever it was called) was pretty crazy. That thing was massive, but those drop parries felt so cool. Also,
Shiva
was summoned there too, which I found to be quite cool. I was expecting Ramuh or Titan.

EDIT: Also, I was listening to the OST and came over the "Game Over" theme, but I realized that I have never heard it. Is the "game over" function busted? The loading screen even says when Noctis' max health reaches zero, it is a game over, but I've had this happen a number of times near the end-game, but whenever this happens, it just zooms into Noct and waits for me to use a Phoenix Down. I check to make sure, but I'm using normal difficulty. Is there a timer for how long you can sit in this state?

Game over comes up if Noctis is downed for more then three seconds and you don't revive him.

That's a pretty good price. I don't see it getting much lower than that for some time. Updates are still coming but it's still great and totally playable. (Not that it was unplayable before)

Depends on what the price of the deluxe edition is, tbh. I'd say go for it because you may want the Online Expansion in the future for all you know. ;)

It's hard to say if the DLC packs will ever go on sale. They're already super cheap for what they are and I usually don't see DLC on sale that often for games.

And this.

Top Bottom