• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Did some of Costlemark tonight. I know the design here is bullshit but I'm just having fun nuking everything with magic whilst playing all the series' dungeon themes in between battles. Went back up to the surface for a new meal buff, will do more tomorrow.

noonche

So, I've played about 3 and a half hours. The combat (and gameplay in general) seem awful. Do things improve, change or evolve?

Did the 4 corners in the floor in Costlemark Dungeon but now I dont know where to go. The square in the middle of the floor doesnt have a progress button and ive checked off every other corner in the map. WTF lol.

The southwest corner is the correct one. There is a branching path when you use that one, GO EAST NOT SOUTH when you get to the branching path. Be prepared for a level 65 boss thats weak against polearms and lightning.

Vic_Viper

Finally finished Costlemark Dungeon! Took me 2 days of playing and putting the console on rest mode inbetween play sessions but I finally did it. Went straight to Galdin Quay after to level up and went from 60 to 73 lol.

LiK

Did some of Costlemark tonight. I know the design here is bullshit but I'm just having fun nuking everything with magic whilst playing all the series' dungeon themes in between battles. Went back up to the surface for a new meal buff, will do more tomorrow.

Magic makes it better.

vareon

The sidequests and hunts need much more context to them, so they can be more interesting even though it boils down to fetch quest or a simple hunt. Like I'm doing the legendary weapon quest now and all the quest giver did was almost literally "Great! Now go there and kill this!" without even saying what I'm facing, what weapon he'll make etc. Same with Dave. Cindy's quests reveal more about her and the world so why can't others?

Hunts, too. I think FFXII gave a little bit more context to its hunts?

adz2ka

Just got up to the most talked about chapter in the game

Heading to bed now, but will attempt it tomorrow. Let's see what all the fuss is about.

Seems like I''m one of the only few who likes the change of pace from Chapter
onwards?

Gbraga

Prepare for awesome setpiece :)

Titan get!

And I was expecting much worse from the transition to Chapter 5, after the amount of criticism I read here.

Btw, the game is really putting me in a situation where I don't feel like doing any side quests now, because it would betray the feel of the game, unlike in Chapter 3.

I do have a ton of stuff left to do, so hopefully
when I get the Regalia back
it can be chill time again.

massoluk

Banned
Turned out the most intense fight so far for me was fishing the king of the lake for big bro. Bastard got my dragon line down to single digit, but I got him

Damn high level magic is crazy. Took on (I'll put it in spoilers just in case)
Randolph's
hunt at the vesper pool and used Blizzaga. Froze the whole damn lake. I mean it makes sense but it was just crazy to see it happen and have the whole team not able to move for almost a full minute.

Yeah so Ch 13. Not good, not good at all. Obviously were running out of time by now. Seriously rushed and boring. At least I got to a part where I can use Umbra. And is it just me or does Umbra feel like an addition that was made once they realised the game was becoming hideously linear?

theofficefan99

Titan get!

And I was expecting much worse from the transition to Chapter 5, after the amount of criticism I read here.

Btw, the game is really putting me in a situation where I don't feel like doing any side quests now, because it would betray the feel of the game, unlike in Chapter 3.

I do have a ton of stuff left to do, so hopefully
when I get the Regalia back
it can be chill time again.

Titan was an awesome setpiece?

The transition from Ch 4 to 5 wasn't horrible?

Sorry, but... I must have been playing a different game.

massoluk

Banned
Damn high level magic is crazy. Took on (I'll put it in spoilers just in case)
Randolph's
hunt at the vesper pool and used Blizzaga. Froze the whole damn lake. I mean it makes sense but it was just crazy to see it happen and have the whole team not able to move for almost a full minute.
Lol, I did that too. No way to direct your teammate + friendly-fire AoE = Whyyyyyyy?

cj_iwakura

My problem with (boss fight in Alteccia)
is that Leviathan could have been a really, really badass fight that pushed your skills to the limit. Instead it turns into one giant Press A(circle) To Awesome QTE fest.

What a spectacle, though.

brau

Yea. I enjoyed the game all the way from chapter 1 to chapter 9. Once i jumped to chapter 10 and its on rails segments i was not very entertained until the last boss which was pretty awesome but easy. There are snippets that i enjoyed, but it really did feel disjointed, stitched together and kinda rushed.

should I be level 45 and be getting rekt by enemies in the 30's? What am I doing wrong? I have accessories equipped, I upgraded my weapons, I use magic, I upgraded skills. Do I just suck?

brau

should I be level 45 and be getting rekt by enemies in the 30's? What am I doing wrong? I have accessories equipped, I upgraded my weapons, I use magic, I upgraded skills. Do I just suck?

Do you phase? Do you use partner skills? Counter? What are you doing?

vareon

Yeah so Ch 13. Not good, not good at all. Obviously were running out of time by now. Seriously rushed and boring. At least I got to a part where I can use Umbra. And is it just me or does Umbra feel like an addition that was made once they realised the game was becoming hideously linear?

Umbra
was the necessary evil in a game that wants an open world, road trip game where you can do anything you like AND a story that gets moving and past the point of irreversible developments and point of no return. So you kinda need to offer both somehow.

Though hilariously, Chapter 9 to 13 felt so thin on story content even though it's linear.

Maybe. You could record some of your combat and share it so we can see?

I should do that. I just turned it off cus I got frustrated lol

Do you phase? Do you use partner skills? Counter? What are you doing?

I do all of that. I just feel like I am weak as hell. I die in a couple hits and it feels like I am using foam weapons. It takes ages to kill stuff. One of my hunts was just like 20 minutes because the enemies took so long to kill. I basically just end up having to phase around in circles and use the partner skills the whole time while praying they dont die.

I want to vote for FFXV for the Neogaf soundtrack of the year but i dont know the name of the songs im looking for.

The first one is the theme that plays when you summon Ramuh

The 2nd one is the one when Luna is preparing to summon Leviathan (not the one during the fight).

Can anyone help me out?

brau

I should do that. I just turned it off cus I got frustrated lol

I do all of that. I just feel like I am weak as hell. I die in a couple hits and it feels like I am using foam weapons. It takes ages to kill stuff. One of my hunts was just like 20 minutes because the enemies took so long to kill. I basically just end up having to phase around in circles and use the partner skills the whole time while praying they dont die.

Do you change weapons to their weakness? This is pretty big on hunts. If you are only doing white damage you are not doing it right. Gotta go for the yellow, or purples since that is poison.

Also, for level 45, what weapons do you have equipped? the video does sound like a good idea.

But i dunno man.. i was taking on level 50 creatures when i was level 35 and having a blast defeating them.

I want to vote for FFXV for the Neogaf soundtrack of the year but i dont know the name of the songs im looking for.

The first one is the theme that plays when you summon Ramuh

The 2nd one is the one when Luna is preparing to summon Leviathan (not the one during the fight).

Can anyone help me out?

Love love love the OST. I wish i could find the one song that plays in the rest areas in Chapter 13.

As far as the names of the songs you requested i have no idea hahaha. I really need the OST for this. Just thought i would share my excitement for the music after you i saw your post :D

Gbraga

I never said the first, but I did enjoy it, yeah. The final showdown not as much, but all of the buildup to it was pretty nice. I was already aware that summon fights would be setpieces with not that much input from the player, and I've been expecting that since E3 2013, actually. Sure, that CGI looked a lot more involved than the summon fights in the final game, but even before knowing it was bullshit, it already showed something very spectacle-heavy, with not a lot of room for player input to dictate the pace.

And I definitely don't think it was horrible. From what I've seen people mentioning, I was under the impression that the only thing the game gives you was a prompt after the Titan fight, and you go to your next objective. It's definitely explained by the game, and an important character guides you there. I really thought it would just be Titan setpiece -> loading -> start Chapter 5 somewhere else -> Prompt tells you to look for the Fulgurian.

And I don't think you were playing a different game, I think you're just wtinessing the wild concept of different opinions. It's crazy, I know.

If the 30's enemies are Coeurls, then you're not doing anything wrong. They're tough as fuck. Get used to them kicking your ass, it's not changing any time soon.

theofficefan99

My impressions of the game, 30 hours in, in Chapter 6:

For background purposes, FF is my favorite franchise and nothing comes close.

I like the game, but hoo-fucking-boy I have never been this disappointed in my entire life.

The thing is, for a long time, I was pretty cautious towards the game. Neither demos impressed me and every trailer after E3 2013 sucked ass. Only okay ones were Uncovered and TGS.

30 hours in, at Chapter 6, you might say that the game has managed to capture me. In some ways, it has.

I like the attention to detail. Food looks great, I like the unique camping dynamic, there's so much to see, animations are fantastic, etc....

But the game is unfinished and I don't see how anyone could say otherwise.

For starters... the camera. It is so unacceptable it literally is insulting that they shipped the game out with the camera in this state. Quite literally, in half of the battles, I have no idea what is going on. The horrid lock-on makes it worse.

There's the potential of a really fun, great combat system here, but as of right now it's almost ruined by the camera and lock-on not being functional. And it's a fucking shame.

Next up is the visuals. At times they look good. At times. Other times the game can look downright unimpressive, blurry, jaggies everywhere, barren of detail, etc.

In terms of cutscenes, the only good-looking ones are the pre-rendered in-game and CGI ones. The rest are very unpolished. The game's visuals are nowhere near good enough for the team to have thrown away all that CGI.

Next up... yeah, the world is big. Yeah, summons are impressive.

When the summons happen, well, aside from the system being a tad stupid, it also bugs me that they have such extravagant animations. It makes me feel like so much of the budget went towards making the insanely low amount of summons look cool. I would've rather had the summons give Noctis some sort of elemental weapon with some sort of temporary summoning help mechanic than this.

In terms of the world... yeah, it's big, but.... so far, in Chapter 6, the only place I would consider somewhat impressive is Cape Caem and the Ice Cavern. Everything else has been pretty "meh." It's honestly a pain to traverse it sometimes, and while there's some great optional content, most of it is completely worthless fetch quests. I am probably almost burnt out. I've done like maybe 35-40% of the optional content available to me thus far and I'm already Level 50.

Lastly... the main story... oh my fuck. It's so disjointed, it's so nonsensical, it requires so much suspension of disbelief, it's barely fucking there. It really does feel like someone was given a 500 page book, then asked to condense it to 50 pages, and the bits that tie them together were written really fucking lazily.

Though I like the game, it's not finished. It's very unpolished and the main story is a joke. And whoever says Brotherhood and Kingsglaive are optional are lying. They are absolutely essential and even then the story is a horribly-written joke. You can really tell that it was an afterthought.

I feel like the development team made so many dumb decisions and focused on the wrong things. If Titan is their idea of a "set piece," please never attempt one ever again. The expensive summon sequences are not worth it when the game is lacking in so many other areas, they're not implemented well at all, and when there's so few. Please don't spend so much effort on shit like food if, again, the game is lacking in so many areas. I can't really enjoy myself in the open world as much anymore, either, knowing how awful and incredibly thin the main storyline is. It's actually really unsettling. I would have never expected a Final Fantasy game to have main story content that's this shallow and poorly thought-out.

So far, for the next FF: no more in-house engines, no more multi-media crap, and an open world is very unnecessary. You can make a world feel big and alive and have it be 1/10th the size of Final Fantasy XV. This was just unnecessary. When you boil the game down most of the game's worth is in the form of these mindless fetch quests. If making a game's world gigantic means an unpolished product in many areas, a joke of a main story, and the actual scope of the game to be small as hell... it's not worth it.

Unfortunately as of right now it's a very generous 7/10.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Currently in the first bunker where you can save in Chapter 13. So this is the infamous chapter that everyone shits on... let's see how it goes.

Gbraga

The thing is, for a long time, I was pretty cautious towards the game. Neither demos impressed me and every trailer after E3 2013 sucked ass. Only okay ones were Uncovered and TGS.

After rewatching all of them multiple times, I think TGS 2014 is my favorite, including all of the Versus stuff.

TGS 2016 and Extended Uncovered Trailer were also really good.

brau

Lastly... the main story... oh my ****. It's so disjointed, it's so nonsensical, it requires so much suspension of disbelief, it's barely ****ing there. It really does feel like someone was given a 500 page book, then asked to condense it to 50 pages, and the bits that tie them together was written really fucking lazily.

Though I like the game, it's not finished. It's very unpolished and the main story is a joke. And whoever says Brotherhood and Kingsglaive are optional are lying. They are absolutely essential and even then the story is a horribly-written joke. You can really tell that it was an afterthought.

I feel like the development team made so many dumb decisions and focused on the wrong things. If Titan is their idea of a "set piece," please never attempt one ever again. The expensive summon sequences are not worth it when the game is lacking in so many other areas, they're not implemented well at all, and when there's so few. Please don't spend so much effort on shit like food if, again, the game is lacking in so many areas. I can't really enjoy myself in the open world as much anymore, either, knowing how awful and incredibly thin the main storyline is. It's actually really unsettling. I would have never expected a Final Fantasy game to have main story content that's this shallow and poorly thought-out.

So far, for the next FF: no more in-house engines, no more multi-media crap, and an open world is very unnecessary. You can make a world feel big and alive and have it be 1/10th the size of Final Fantasy XV. This was just unnecessary. When you boil the game down most of the game's worth is in the form of these mindless fetch quests. If making a game's world gigantic means an unpolished product in many areas, a joke of a main story, and the actual scope of the game to be small as hell... it's not worth it.

Unfortunately as of right now it's a very generous 7/10.

I think i share a lot of your same thoughts about the game.

I really think the game lacks setup in a lot of the case. Build up. There is just none. Things happen and they expect you to feel and love it, but there really wasn't any setup to it, and when there is its immediately taken away by the sense that i was unfinished or stitched together.

I like the bros, i like the interactions and the banter. I don't like how superficial the relationships do go. There is a very weak cast of characters outside of the bros. Some are just even forgotten or never appear again. I think the grand spectacle of the story could've been skipped for something more memorable and simple. I wish it was all about the bros, instead of a weird story that feels disjointed and hard to follow.

theofficefan99

I think i share a lot of your same thoughts about the game.

I really think the game lacks setup in a lot of the case. Build up. There is just none. Things happen and they expect you to feel and love it, but there really wasn't any setup to it, and when there is its immediately taken away by the sense that i was unfinished or stitched together.

I like the bros, i like the interactions and the banter. I don't like how superficial the relationships do go. There is a very weak cast of characters outside of the bros. Some are just even forgotten or never appear again. I think the grand spectacle of the story could've been skipped for something more memorable and simple. I wish it was all about the bros, instead of a weird story that feels disjointed and hard to follow.

So far though, the story doesn't feel grand in any way. I feel like I'm in one interconnected landmass with a bunch of random gas stations and the occasional cave or tomb. And I already know how the (second half of game mild spoilers)
second half of the game is almost literally a train ride to the end.

Whatever potential there was in the lore, story, characters, etc., has been completely ruined. I don't see patches saving this.

It's seriously a damn shame. The game is so flawed in so many areas that it's disheartening. I legitimately feel embarrassed that I was publicly hyping this game up so much. All this game is, is SE's honestly failed attempt at creating an open world Western-styled RPG. A shallow and short story heavily inflated by lazy fetch quests and other things like mandatory (boring, unnecessary) car rides and running across long stretches of land.

brau

So far though, the story doesn't feel grand in any way. I feel like I'm in one interconnected landmass with a bunch of random gas stations and the occasional cave or tomb. And I already know how the (second half of game mild spoilers)
second half of the game is almost literally a train ride to the end.

Whatever potential there was in the lore, story, characters, etc., has been completely ruined. I don't see patches saving this.

It's seriously a damn shame. The game is so flawed in so many areas that it's disheartening. I legitimately feel embarrassed that I was publicly hyping this game up so much.

https://youtu.be/2Bp-uNdefJo

Watch this video. It really showcases the game potential. But it falls short cuz it lacks proper setup and build up. Some of the scenes are really interesting.

Video will have spoilers of a lot of things tho. Just so you are aware. But i think you'll find it interesting.

Gbraga

Chapter 13 is the best in the game. Pretty sure the kids who can't endure 2,5h of linear game structure started gaming with X360.

From what I've read about it, I think what will bother me the most is the forced slow walking. Not being able to sprint is a pretty bad decision, imo.

cbrun44

So Saturday night I saved in one of the bunk rooms at the very beginning of chapter 13. This afternoon I turned the game on and loaded it up. I was on chapter 9... Same level, same everything but on Chapter 9. I thought maybe it was Umbra, but nope. I'm just on chapter 9. Quite a bit of time down the drain.

Has anyone heard anything about this? Am I missing something?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Chapter 13 is the best in the game. Pretty sure the kids who can't endure 2,5h of linear game structure started gaming with X360.

I don't think many cared that it was linear. The last half of the game was linear and you don't hear near the complaints about the other linear chapters.

Many just found it boring, didn't like not being able to use your regular weapons/powers, pointless stealth since you could just kill things with the death spell since MP regenerates quickly etc.

theofficefan99

https://youtu.be/2Bp-uNdefJo

Watch this video. It really showcases the game potential. But it falls short cuz it lacks proper setup and build up. Some of the scenes are really interesting.

Video will have spoilers of a lot of things tho. Just so you are aware. But i think you'll find it interesting.

Listened to it.

I agree with what he's saying, but I think the game is lacking in execution of the plot as well. See (Chapters 1-4 spoilers)
Noctis finding out that his city was destroyed through a newspaper, even though they live in a modern era and even though Insomnia is like, what, 2-3 miles away? Then there's all of Chapter 4, where Ardyn somehow knew of Noctis' visions, knew he was going to go sight-seeing, resting with Ardyn and seeing none of it, the party somehow only realizing it's "Chancellor Izunia" whenever he reveals his last name, the transition from Ch 4 to 5...
it's all horribly written.

Nydius

It isn't the linearity of Chapter 13 that makes it suck, it's the fact that it drags on far too long and
the fact that it wipes away several dozen hours of meaningful story and gearing progression only to hamstring the player with two extremely limited weapons for story reasons that aren't explained very well.

I would love to know how Ardyn has the ability to 'block' Noctis' powers with a nifty machine that started working outside of Niflheim entirely, having blocked all of Noctis' powers while they were still on the train. Not only that, but it can completely block all of the royal arms but then can't block the one Noctis happens to pick up during that chapter.... why? Because it's his fathers? But the game doesn't spare a moment to really explain any of this, even with Ardyn constantly spouting monologue throughout the sequence or from any of the researcher notes found scattered about the facility. It was nice to walk out of there with a fuller understanding of what the MTs were how the daemons were being 'created' and used, and it added a real sense of villainy around Ardyn, but the whole thing could have been half the length and still maintained the same impact. Or it could have been the same length but only lock out Noctis' powers for half the time.

Edit: Quote posting to avoid rapid fire posts:

Chapter 13 actually reminded me of the Shinra Tower in FF VII. Looking at it like this, definitely helped to appreciate (?) it.

Shinra Tower in FF7 used all members of your party, included interesting floors (some of which you didn't even need to go to) and puzzles (the Mayor of Midgar, specifically), and
didn't lock you out of any of your abilities or gear
. The only similarity between the two were they were linear aspects of the game. Shinra Tower is far and away better in EVERY regard to the hallway crapfest that is FF15's Chapter 13.

Blablurn

Chapter 13 actually reminded me of the Shinra Tower in FF VII. Looking at it like this, definitely helped to appreciate (?) it.

Listening to some of the tracks from the game and it's really making me wish the music had just been playing consistently throughout the game, because 54 hours of playtime and I'm realizing I never heard more than the first 15 seconds of Wanderlust.

Gbraga

The best song in Brotherhood!

Solidarity

I think Serenity is my favorite.

Brotherhood's soundtrack is so good for driving around. The whole anime just captures the feel of the game so well.

I think I'll watch it for the third time when I'm on my way to Caem in-game.

Listening to some of the tracks from the game and it's really making me wish the music had just been playing consistently throughout the game, because 54 hours of playtime and I'm realizing I never heard more than the first 15 seconds of Wanderlust.

I like the way it's done, makes it feel more special when it plays and I always stop to listen to it for a while, and just explore for a bit to enjoy the moment. I'd only change that opening the menu or map interrupts the song, and it takes a long time for it to pick up from where it stopped. Opening the menu doesn't pause the combat music, so I don't get why they made it pause the exploration music.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I actually like Chapter 9. It's filled with scenes wholly designed to tug at your heartstring in a cheap way, I guess, but I am but a simple person who is easily affected by lovey-dovey scenes in games, hahaha, and to that end Chapter 9 was effective for me. And Altissia is beautiful.

Also, afterwards, I was actually genuinely touched with
Ignis being blinded but he decided to power through with the team regardless
. And he never complained or gave shit to Noct too, just solemnly continuing with him regardless what. That was an unexpected moment. That immediately elevated him as truly the best of the bunch, at least for now. What a guy.

Adaren

I actually like Chapter 9. It's filled with scenes wholly designed to tug at your heartstring in a cheap way, I guess, but I am but a simple person who is easily affected by lovey-dovey scenes in games, hahaha, and to that end Chapter 9 was effective for me. And Altissia is beautiful.

Also, afterwards, I was actually genuinely touched with
Ignis being blinded but he decided to power through with the team regardless
. And he never complained or gave shit to Noct too, just solemnly continuing with him regardless what. That was an unexpected moment. That immediately elevated him as truly the best of the bunch, at least for now. What a guy.

I think I'm the same way! I liked when the game is trying to be a bit dramatic / sappy. It's way more entertaining than everyone just being content all the time.

EDIT: Just rewatched that cutscene and got light shivers...man, I don't even need context or characters. Throw some melodramatic dialogue on top of some tear-jerker music and I'm gone.

theofficefan99

Oh and you guys really weren't kidding about the whole Jared thing. The entire chapter spams his name every 2 seconds but like... lol? Who? Why should I care

impirius

I think it's a fairly common issue, but it's hard not to be concerned about my PS4 Pro when this happens in every single battle.

nX8XwXP.gif

In Chapter 6 and still trying to optimize the percentage of doing-interesting-stuff time in this game. I'd pay money to hold multiple hunts at once!

Mailbox

I think it's a fairly common issue, but it's hard not to be concerned about my PS4 Pro when this happens in every single battle.

In Chapter 6 and still trying to optimize the percentage of doing-interesting-stuff time in this game. I'd pay money to hold multiple hunts at once!

Thats a visual glitch. It seems to happen very rarely in other places but near old lestallum its super common. Don't worry about your pro, I get that visual glitch too.

Top Bottom