• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV TGS 2014 Trailer | Lord Nomura giveth us His only Son so we may live

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
On hindsight, the Kotaku article seems quite accurate now. How much of XV is still Versus XIII?

Edit: Read the Kotaku article and it was quite spot on about Versus being repurposed into a numbered FF.

wmlk

So who knows the most about FFXV and it's history on gaf...?

Kagari and Exentryk are up there. Famassau is quantity over quality.

Clearly I make the top 5 cut.

I take pride in knowing so much about the game and it's sort of unhealthy.

But I'm probably not in the top 5. I'm not stalking Japanese women on Twitter the day before TGS to get information. HAHA. :p

HeelPower

Lol...One of his articles has the headline " ‘Final Fantasy Versus XIII’ talks ‘Final Fantasy X-2 HD’ Last Mission contents". What kind of headline is that and how did it get past the editor lol... The article had nothing about Versus and he just inserts a comment about how there is no news about the game. It's like those articles that randomly mentioms Titanfall out of no where

yep..so annoying when I used to click them unware that ITS EXAMINER AHHH

In that thread he says the demo will be an advanced area of the game but on the SE blog they say it takes place near the beginning of the game, then again I was using google translate for the editor's post.

Also he says world map is confirmed.

Sweetness. Can't believe how many things are lined up even for early 2015, especially so if MGSV is coming in March as rumored (even the same day, March 17th).

Seriously, even if it is just driving around and slapping dudes and monsters in the face with giant swords, hanging out with my K-pop bros will be at the very least something to appreciate as a visual feast. Type 0 has some mixed opinions, but I'm interested in that as well.

Edit:

On hindsight, the Kotaku article seems quite accurate now. How much of XV is still Versus XIII?

Which article? The one analyzing the combat?

duckroll

Even if we ignore that guy, it's obvious Famitsu and others will have some interviews and specials after a trailer reveal. Same happened with E3 trailers.

What exactly are we talking about? Because Famitsu confirmed on their site that next week's issue will have a feature on Type-0 HD and XV, with interviews.

Seriously, can we stop sourcing random people on the internet unless people have verified who they are or know them personally? Because it's really stupid when there's official information from proper sources. ;P

anaron

Lol, it's always been fairly obvious that "Romeo + Juliet" was influencing this game. That Stella and Noctis scene always made me laugh because of it

wmlk

I bet that sweet Shimamoora music is a great therapeutic.

nobuo_uematsu.jpg

HeelPower

But I'm probably not in the top 5. I'm not stalking Japanese women on Twitter the day before TGS to get information. HAHA. :p

The reason why this is such a rewarding and ecstatic experience for us is because we were really dedicated to this thing over the years.

This will eventually add up to an unforgettable experience once the real thing is released ;P

injurai

Banned

guess I don't do that, but I cross reference and do the math on all their production problems and time frames. I really hope they release a making of for this game. Totally getting the limited edition if it was it.

wmlk

Lol, it's always been fairly obvious that "Romeo + Juliet" was influencing this game. That Stella and Noctis scene always made me laugh because of it

Barely anyone brings it up. I'm gonna spread it everywhere from now on because I doubt anyone knows Luhrmann. Even Stella's hair is influenced by it.

I do wonder just how much larger the story will become over time. The sequels will likely even surpass XV's scope (if SQUARE-ENIX knows what they are doing), so I wonder just how much gas we'll need for this road trip...

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Which article? The one analyzing the combat?

An article from two years ago.

Another source tells Kotaku that, a few months back, Final Fantasy Versus XIII's development and resources had actually been folded into another game, which is to be the next numeric Final Fantasy title, Final Fantasy XV. Whether this meant actual game assets and code or simply the movement of staff was unclear. This information was independently corroborated by yet another source, though it's important to note both had learned of the "folding" prior to the more recent news of its outright cancellation.

The half of the rumour is about Versus being cancelled. This makes one wonder whether Versus was truly on the verge of being cancelled at one point in time before they decided that it's best to rename it XV. The move to bring in Tabata could have been SE's measure to oust Nomura if necessary.

Mr. RPG

I do wonder just how much larger the story will become over time. The sequels will likely even surpass XV's scope (if SQUARE-ENIX knows what they are doing), so I wonder just how much gas we'll need for this road trip...

Oh god. No sequels please.

I would much prefer new games.

Hell, I don't even care to see sequels for any of my favorite Final Fantasy games either. They don't need sequels.

injurai

Banned

Hell, I don't even care to see sequels for any of my favorite Final Fantasy games either. They don't need sequels.

You can count on at least 1 sequal, it's been explicitly talked about.

Nomura elaborated that XV isn't being split up and will conclude it's story. But I guess the ending is eluded to open up a rabit hole that provokes the events of the sequel.

Exentryk

What exactly are we talking about? Because Famitsu confirmed on their site that next week's issue will have a feature on Type-0 HD and XV, with interviews.

Seriously, can we stop sourcing random people on the internet unless people have verified who they are or know them personally? Because it's really stupid when there's official information from proper sources. ;P

There we go. And I might have missed the official Famitsu announcing that in all the hype XD

Sorry, it's apparently in the cards. BTW, I'm just interested in XV on the side, I've never been a Square fan so it's not like I'd worship whatever they did no matter what. Never played a Final Fantasy game.

Edit:

An article from two years ago.

Oh, yeah I guess I heard about that. Just without context I had no idea what you were referencing heh.

They have recoup the money And put those assets to use.
Please understand
Tbh, if the combat is good and the story isn't completely stupid, they can milk it dry as far as I'm concerned. ARPGs are okay in my book.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

They've already talk about sequels for XV. It's going to happen if XV sells well.

Mr. RPG

You can count on at least 1 sequal, it's been explicitly talked about.

Nomura elaborated that XV isn't being split up and will conclude it's story. But I guess the ending is eluded to open up a rabit hole that provokes the events of the sequel.

Then I guess Square-Enix hasn't learned from their mistakes.

If the game needs another game to conclude its story, then you fail as a game designer and if the point of a sequel is to cash-in (as in Lightning Returns and to some extent XIII-2) then I hope consumers aren't naive enough to buy in to it (they are).

What a shame. Gamers talk about how they hate cash-ins and milking a franchise die, but yet they love to buy sequels.

Sorry, it's apparently in the cards. BTW, I'm just interested in XV on the side, I've never been a Square fan so it's not like I'd worship whatever they did no matter what. Never played a Final Fantasy game.

Edit:

Oh, yeah I guess I heard about that. Just without context I had no idea what you were referencing heh.

Big Bossu! Love the horse

raven777

Even if we ignore that guy, it's obvious Famitsu and others will have some interviews and specials after a trailer reveal. Same happened with E3 trailers.

yea I knew about the famitsu coverage but was curious about the validity info he had on the demo. Well it wasn't anything really new/surprising and we will find out more about the demo next week anyways I guess.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I'm pretty ok with prequels/sequels. Crisis Core, X-2, and Lightning Returns were hardly derivative. If they can create a fascinating fully realized world, why not do multiple games in it? It's pretty arbitrary at any rate; you can claim to be making FFVIII-2 or FFIX-2 and still have tons of creative control. Someone could make an FFVI sequel a 2D fighting game set hundreds of years of that game's world's future if they wanted to.

Taruranto

Ahah, we all know this will get milked to death.

Noctis will be with us for all of ours lives!

If the game needs another game to conclude its story, then you fail as a game designer and if the point of a sequel is to cash-in (as in Lightning Returns and to some extent XIII-2) then I hope consumers aren't naive enough to buy in to it (they are).

What a shame. Gamers talk about how they hate cash-ins and milking a franchise die, but yet they love to buy sequels.
Well if you look at the sales of the XIII trilogy, they really aren't naive enough to buy into it if the first game disappoints. If XV performs well and the characters are well-received, making a sequel is hardly a mistake.

wmlk

Let's be clear here. FFXIII was never meant to have a sequel.

If FFXV leaves openings for a proper sequel that's faithful to the original, I'd be down.

Exentryk

LOL. To be fair, that was the first I saw of her account that day.

injurai

Banned

I don't think you fail as a game designer necessarily. My favorite handling of sequals is HL1 to HL2. Doing such a drastic time skip and change in setting/conflict was great.

The problem is you get companies like Square that have the FF franchise, and then they have almost sub franchises within that. With FFXIII we watched them milk it. While a studio like Blizzard or Rockstar has pillar franchises that they rotate through.

But there are plenty of games that have recieved fast turn around sequals that all end up great. Ratchet and Clank trilogy is my favorite example.

But it sounds like FFXV will indeed be it's own thing that you can ignore the sequels if you choose to. But Square sort of needs to eventually make them to make this effort worth it. And hey, we may get good games out of them.

Mr. RPG

Well if you look at the sales of the XIII trilogy, they really aren't naive enough to buy into it if the first game disappoints. If XV performs well and the characters are well-received, making a sequel is hardly a mistake.

I remember XIII-2's sales being very high (obviously not as high as XIII's mind you).

I wouldn't want a sequel even if XV became my favorite Final Fantasy of all time. I want new content, not sequels. And by sequels I mean re-using the same world, characters, etc.

A third Chrono game would be nice, Square-Enix...

Falk

that puzzling face
Or...
they basically shit on the efforts of the original game.

FFX-2 and XIII sequels were ok.

You just turn off your brain for a bit and the levelling and combat are great.

XIII-2 had time travel and yelling at hope though. That's not ok.

injurai

Banned
I remember XIII-2's sales being very high (obviously not as high as XIII's mind you).

I wouldn't want a sequel even if XV became my favorite Final Fantasy of all time. I want new content, not sequels. And by sequels I mean re-using the same world, characters, etc.

If there was an FFXV-2 I think it would be neat to set it a generation later. Like 20 years into the future then play as Noctis' son/daughter. I love seeing time roll on, and new generations taking over. The hero should rest after his struggle and journey. I think it would be really cool to get such a sequel from any game. Shame it's not done more.

wmlk

Good luck making 'new content' when you don't have the money to make them. Video game sequels that reuse assets are crucial to get returns.

Mr. RPG

I don't think you fail as a game designer necessarily. My favorite handling of sequals is HL1 to HL2. Doing such a drastic time skip and change in setting/conflict was great.

The problem is you get companies like Square that have the FF franchise, and then they have almost sub franchises within that. With FFXIII we watched them milk it. While a studio like Blizzard or Rockstar has pillar franchises that they rotate through.

But there are plenty of games that have recieved fast turn around sequals that all end up great. Ratchet and Clank trilogy is my favorite example.

But it sounds like FFXV will indeed be it's own thing that you can ignore the sequels if you choose to. But Square sort of needs to eventually make them to make this effort worth it. And hey, we may get good games out of them.

It was probably a little extreme and I don't know anything about Half-Life unfortunately so I can't comment on this. Obviously if the story is just too big for a single then it is completely acceptable to have multiple games (just like writing multiple books for a novel).

Not sure where you're going with Ratchet and Clank. I'm talking about story-wise, you should end it with one game and continue on.

That is what I'm afraid it. I don't think this time it will be its own story, but "hey, we left you with a cliffhanger in XV, go buy XV-2 coming in 2017!"

HeelPower

sorry to break it to you.A sequel IS coming.

Look how long its taking to make this.They aren't gonna come up with FFXVI anytime close to this.

These aren't the PS1 days so let's just hope the FFXV-2 is a very good game that doesn't trivialize what came before it.

Top Bottom