• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI Targets 60 FPS in Performance Mode, but Combat Will Be Better Optimized

Mister Wolf

"director Hiroshi Takai commented on the performance swings seen in footage captured in the game's performance mode, saying that this display mode will always target 60 frames per second, but may not hold the target framerate during exploration, depending on particular circumstances."

Probably a deal breaker for me not locking to 60. Should have used DRS. Will likely wait for the port to get more stable performance.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Probably a deal breaker for me not locking to 60. Should have used DRS. Will likely wait for the port for more stable performance.
Not for me, I played games like Bloodborne and currently playing TotK which dont have "perfect" performance but that doesn't stop me from enjoying the crap out those games and is not gonna stop me from enjoying FFXVI.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’m confused. So then the current stuff we saw and heard impressions of is the final game ? 60fps combat and massive below 60 everywhere else ?

Sounds like locked 30fps mode it is for me then. :/ don’t need major swings that are jarring

ManaByte

Gold Member
Not for me, I played games like Bloodborne and currently playing TotK which dont have "perfect" performance but that doesn't stop me from enjoying the crap out those games and is not gonna stop me from enjoying FFXVI.
Something something Jedi Survivor.

Sensei

Honestly, I've been a bit perplexed about their communication strategy lately. On one side, they said they went gold in March and the game is so polished it won't need a day-one patch. On the other side, several previews reported frame drops all around the demo they tried, sometimes so bad that someone even believed the game ran at 30 fps during exploration. And now this interview, which basically says their "aiming" for 60 fps during traversal.

I have the feeling that if framerate is actually janky in the final version, it will significantly affect the scores of the game, since it won't receive the FromSoftware/Zelda free pass (just to be clear, I think no game should have that, not even FromSoftware and Zelda). This together with stuff like "it's not a real Final Fantasy" and "it's not diverse enough" will probably tank the reviews and position the game in the middle 80s MC, if everything else falls in line with expectations. I don't particularly care about reviews, but developers and publishers do and I doubt this would bode well for the next games in the series.

Having said that, I will probably enjoy the game regardless of the framerate, like I enjoyed many before that had similar issues (BB, ER, BotW and TotK first and foremost).

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Tbf, isn't open world exploration just running around ?I don't see a big issue here since combat fps will be smoother

Madflavor

The demo just needs to release, and let each individual person judge for themselves. I've been following this 60fps debacle very closely, and let me tell you now, information is all over the fucking place.

• Max and EZ Allies said the game ran at a smooth 60fps during Combat but felt like it dipped to 30fps during exploration, thus sparking this whole drama.
  • Vast majority of previews didn't mention performance issues. Some, like DevilNeverCry and Blitz claimed they didn't feel like exploration dipped to 30fps and the game ran totally fine.
  • There are claims (and this probably true) that previews were running on an older builder and are not representative of the final product.
  • CBU3 are very confident on the state of the game and claim it doesn't need a Day 1 Patch.
  • Takai had a recent interview saying the target in Performance mode is 60fps, but don't expect the FPS to never dip at all throughout the whole game. Then he claimed the game is not designed to run at 60fps in combat and 30fps in exploration.
  • The only actual 60fps footage we have, that's not rendered at 30fps, is the Pax footage from when Yoshi-P played the game on Performance Mode, and nobody was catching any performance issues.

So I would advise anyone to not overreact. Wait for the demo and judge for yourself. What we are probably looking at here is a Performance Mode that targets 60fps, but doesn't lock it, and will probably largely achieve it for the most part. You will likely notice the dips (if you even do notice) during big set pieces, or if there's a lot going on screen. That is the most realistic scenario we are looking at for the state of the game on launch. We are NOT looking at a situation where the game runs at 60fps in Combat but 30fps in Exploration. That makes zero sense, and there's no good reason to believe it will.

I have the feeling that if framerate is actually janky in the final version, it will significantly affect the scores of the game, since it won't receive the FromSoftware/Zelda free pass (just to be clear, I think no game should have that, not even FromSoftware and Zelda). This together with stuff like "it's not a real Final Fantasy" and "it's not diverse enough" will probably tank the reviews and position the game in the middle 80s MC, if everything else falls in line with expectations. I don't particularly care about reviews, but developers and publishers do and I doubt this would bode well for the next games in the series.

No it won't. FPS dips here and there, so long as they aren't persistent and egregious, will not "significantly" affect the score. This is not a Jedi Survivor situation, and even in that regard that game got more leniency from critics than it deserved. Even the previewers who thought the game dropped to 30fps in exploration were glowing about the game.

Sensei

No it won't. FPS dips here and there, so long as they aren't persistent and egregious, will not "significantly" affect the score. This is not a Jedi Survivor situation, and even in that regard that game got more leniency from critics than it deserved. Even the previewers who thought the game dropped to 30fps in exploration were glowing about the game.
Yeah, I probably came out a bit too pessimistic in my message. I hope you're right.

Regarding the demo, I don't think we'll encounter any framerate issues, since it's supposed to be a fairly linear experience from what we've been told. Maybe there could be a few dips here and there during the opening Eikon battle, but nothing to worry about.

Mr.Phoenix

I don't get what the issue is here.

If the game holds 60fps during combat where it's important, then what does it matter if it drops to 30fps out of combat?

GenericUser

If it's 60 fps in Combat and 30fps during exploration, that would be perfect for me. Responsive when it needs to be responsive and pretty when it needs to be pretty.

Fbh

Weird after all the talk about how they have spent so much time polishing the game and there won't even be a day 1 patch.

Hopefully it stays within the VRR range

I don't get what the issue is here.

If the game holds 60fps during combat where it's important, then what does it matter if it drops to 30fps out of combat?

Constantly swapping from 60fps to 30fps is really jarring.
Very uneven framerate also sucks, if its something like the framerate jumping all over the place from 50 to 30 that's almost worst than just locked 30fps.

ProtoByte

That is bizarre. You would think framerate would be more stressed in combat encounters with all the enemy AI and particle effects on screen as compared to jogging across an empty field.

Game doesn't even look that impressive visually. What the hell is going on when it comes to tech in this industry?

YukiOnna

This doesn't sound anything like he's talking about the 30/60 scenario at all though. The Preview Build is older so it's not really a valid one to consider and it looks relatively fine in the B-Roll. If he's just talking about normal random dips, then I was expecting that anyway.

Will just have to see in the final build.

Go_Ly_Dow

Not expecting FF7R Intergrade levels of quality, that was like 1612p locked 60fps and then I believe native 2160p locked 30fps, hardly any blips, but hopefully something like 1440p 60fps and 1800p 30fps.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
PC it is then......

How is this even possible on a purely playstation 5 exclusive. Will wait for df and other framerate comparisons.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
That is bizarre. You would think framerate would be more stressed in combat encounters with all the enemy AI and particle effects on screen as compared to jogging across an empty field.
Remember Days Gone? Performance was a piece of shit while riding the bike, but hordes with hundreds of zombies no problem.

Zuzu

what the big deal about 40 fps mode?

is it that much smoother than 30 to be worth it?

Please someone explain to me
40fps is a significant improvement over 30fps, especially on an OLED TV where 30fps is unplayable imo. With good motion blur it significantly decreases the terrible stutter of 30fps and improves input response markedly. It's obviously still not as good as 60fps but it's quite an acceptable and enjoyable way to play.

I really wish FF16 could have a 40fps mode. Hope the image quality is good in the 60fps mode as well.

Last edited:

hinch7

PC it is then......

How is this even possible on a purely playstation 5 exclusive. Will wait for df and other framerate comparisons.
Yeah you'll be waiting for a year or two after launch. Good luck not getting spoiled for story by then.

OT, Its fine if the combat is smooth and fps outside of that not a stuttery mess. Also good to have confirmation that we have a 60fps mode.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I really dont care. Can be 30fps just as well. Vrr will take care of dips.
People are going too crazy about all this stuff. Just play the fucking game and hope it got as low input lag as possible.
I repeat this in every thread here - Bloodbornes small framepacing issues are a perfect price to pay for it's low input lag. It has 75ms faster input lag than demons souls 30fps mode on ps5. Play bloodborne on your ps5 now... it controls smoother than some 60fps games.

30 to 60 fps is only 16ms of difference. Your controls shouldn't have to be 75ms fucking delayed.
THIS is what's important. Not the 30 vs 60 fps crap. You've all been behaving like if you discovered 60fps suddenly after 30 years of gaming

What the fuck.
And people say we dont need pro consoles.
This is another problem with the industry. If You think pro console will "fix" this issue, you are mistaken. It will just move the goalpost to a different problems. People will never be happy. NEVER. Devs just need to do their thing and people need to shut up or stop playing video games.
The modes tragedy is what led to the state of no optimization this generation.
Instead of optimizing, ps5 is treated as a poor mans pc and is slapped with 8 modes out of which the real choice is, do you want unoptimized, way too vsynced, super laggy 30fps (more than 30fps should be), or 720p-1080p 60fps with input lag like 30fps last gen. This is not a real choice.
Brute forcing out of the non existial problem will just propagate the issue.

TrebleShot

People are going too crazy about all this stuff. Just play the fucking game and hope it got as low input lag as possible.
I repeat this in every thread here - Bloodbornes small framepacing issues are a perfect price to pay for it's low input lag. It has 75ms faster input lag than demons souls 30fps mode on ps5. Play bloodborne on your ps5 now... it controls smoother than some 60fps games.

30 to 60 fps is only 16ms of difference. Your controls shouldn't have to be 75ms fucking delayed.
THIS is what's important. Not the 30 vs 60 fps crap. You've all been behaving like if you discovered 60fps suddenly after 30 years of gaming

This is another problem with the industry. If You think pro console will "fix" this issue, you are mistaken. It will just move the goalpost to a different problems. People will never be happy. NEVER. Devs just need to do their thing and people need to shut up or stop playing video games.
Instead of optimizing, ps5 is treated as a poor mans pc and is slapped with 8 modes out of which the real choice is, do you want unoptimized, way too vsynced, super laggy 30fps (more than 30fps should be), or 720p-1080p 60fps with input lag like 30fps last gen. This is not a real choice.
Your opinion is great, but it wont change the industry.
If you want smooth running games, youll need better hardware and PS5 is no different.
Pro runs this at 60 in and outside of combat.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
what the big deal about 40 fps mode?

is it that much smoother than 30 to be worth it?

Please someone explain to me

No is not .... is smother but not near close to the 60 fps experience .... people will say is the second coming of jesus the savior of slowass fps ...but at least to my eyes on a Oled screen 40 fps is just what it is .. 30 fps a little better.
Tested on Horizon FW and RaC Rift apart and went back to the 60 fps mode without looking back.

Someone mention in another thread that 40 fps for oled is the 30 fps mode for Led screens, because 30 fps on oled is broken. Its a good comparison

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member

30 fps is dog shit .. good that you liked.. now fuck off pretending your opinion matter most then other opinions as usual on topics that mention 30 fps , pro consoles and forspoken that piece of shit game

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Are they sure they really don't need a day-one patch?

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF

Roufianos

Game doesn't even look that impressive visually. What the hell is going on when it comes to tech in this industry?
I'm really baffled where all these extra resources are going considering games barely look any better than last gen in performance mode.

Top Bottom