• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XVI - Your hopes, dreams and fears!

Doubt it will happen but no more fantasy based on reality, I don't want to see Cadillacs driving round New Zealand.

No more open world, give me something a bit more like ffxii with separate areas but still the freedom to do a bit of exploring

Most importantly no more awful boyband characters and regardless of what battle system they use please bring back character switching

While I like the car/wildlands pairing, and don't hate the character design (Noctis' bros are the worst, unfortunately, since we will be spending the most time with them), I can't bring myself to argue with you due to your awesome avatar. I'll just note Cor clearly seems to be the Georg of XV.

Hopes = fun
Dreams = Ito is involved, Ivalice setting
Fears = Toriyama is director, more than 2 yr wait between announcement and release

BumRush

We should make a poll here.

Structure:
-a trilogy or something similar so that they can reuse assets and speed up the development like most modern RPGs
-each mainline entry is totally standalone, a proud and costly tradition of Final Fantasy
(Either works for me)

Basic:
-single player
-MMO
-a combination like The Division

Setting:
-medieval (FFI-FFV, FFIX, FFXI, FFXIV)
-Ivalice (FFT FFXII)
-near future & reality (FFVII, FFXV, Igni's philosophy)
-futuristic (FFVIII, FFXIII)
-steampunk (FFVI)
-exotic and hard to categorize (FFX, FFX-2)
-time travel (FFXIII-2)

System:
-old turn base (FFI-FFIII, FFX)
-ATB (FFIV-FFIX, FFX-2, FFXIII, FFXIII-2)
-ATB but people can move (FFXI, FFXII, FFXIV)
-action (FFXV)
-something new (LRFFXIII)

People's opinion about what FF should be like is very diverse. Whatever FFXVI is, many people will be pissed off.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
The Spice girls cast.
J/k

hopes- Female lead (not like Lightning more like Princess Garnet)

dreams (Feels like FF9)

fears! (feels like 13)

We should make a poll here.

Structure:
-a trilogy or something similar so that they can reuse assets and speed up the development like most modern RPGs
-each mainline entry is totally standalone, a proud and costly tradition of Final Fantasy

Basic:
-single player
-MMO
-a combination like The Division

Setting:
-medieval (FFI-FFV, FFIX, FFXI, FFXIV)
-Ivalice (FFT FFXII)
-near future & reality (FFVII, FFXV, Igni's philosophy)
-futuristic (FFVIII, FFXIII)
-steampunk (FFVI)
-exotic and hard to categorize (FFX, FFX-2)
-time travel (FFXIII-2)

System:
-old turn base (FFI-FFIII, FFX)
-ATB (FFIV-FFIX, FFX-2, FFXIII, FFXIII-2)
-ATB but people can move (FFXI, FFXII, FFXIV)
-action (FFXV)
-something new (LRFFXIII)

People's opinion about what FF should be like is very diverse. Whatever FFXVI is, many people will be pissed off.

For me, I want them to stay in the realm of Fantasy based on Reality, but innovate on a new combat system, maybe something that combines strategy and tactical player positionning, an hybrid between turn-base and action. I liked how you need to think and also move and take action in games like Valkyria Chronicles. I would like to see an evolution of that for a new FF.

mcz117chief

jeanralphio-why.gif

Want to know why? Because Final Fantasy XIII series is the best Final Fantasy so far and I consider them to be one of the greatest RPGs of all time. I have spent over 200 hours on that trilogy and I absolutely LOVED every microsecond of it and I continue to love it every time I play it. I am super excited for FF XV and I hope I will enjoy it as much as the XIII series but so far no other Final Fantasy makes me as happy when I play it as the XIII series. And that is why I posted what I posted.

There's three things every Final Fantasy nails for me, and those are gameplay, graphics & music. So I won't bother talking about that. I just want them to get into the groove of things for XV so I have more confidence in them. I was so disappointed in XIII last gen, and then they went and did two other ones in the same mythology.

Interesting Cast - This to me is the most important. It's why I couldn't care for FFXIII's awful cast, If I'm going to spend 40 hours on it, it better be with people I care about.

Story - Good and deep story that develops the cast while taking you to the end game. Also have a good interesting beggining. I played 20+ hours twice off FFXIII and barely remember a thing about it, while I have VIII, IX & X easily in my mind.

Mini Games - Have a great chocobo mini-game. Have 2 other addicting mini-games.

Single Player - There's enough online games.

Setting - Some out of left field man. I love the settings, even XIII had a great setting. Sky islands, or some weird looking setting. I want something new even though a different version of Ivalice that is like FFIX's charm would be incredible. But I want something truly fantastical this time around, even deeper than they've with it.

Want to know why? Because Final Fantasy XIII series is the best Final Fantasy so far and I consider them to be one of the greatest RPGs of all time. I have spent over 200 hours on that trilogy and I absolutely LOVED every microsecond of it and I continue to love it every time I play it. I am super excited for FF XV and I hope I will enjoy it as much as the XIII series but so far no other Final Fantasy makes me as happy when I play it as the XIII series. And that is why I posted what I posted.
And SE, start off by not listening to this poster at all. ^

pantsmith

Would love to see a turn-based return to the series roots and aesthetics, like IX was.

I don't get why Square seems to be adamantly opposed to a Final Fantasy that looks like Final Fantasy. XIV is "modern" and nails the look just fine.

Infest

I'm surprised and a little shocked by the desire of many to return to Ivalice. I'd much much rather see something completely new, especially in a mainline game.

Yazus

-I'm a little fearful of what Tabata might do if he was given completely free reign. I know he loves war documentaries, and I fear he would try something like World War II: The JRPG.
-Square Enix utterly learning nothing from Crystal Tools and Luminous Engine's protracted development and decide to continue with time-wasting in-house tools. I understand R&D is important but no need to reinvent the wheel.

I actually would really love to see something in the veins of Valkyria Chronicle revisited in FF style, so a free reign war themed Tabata game could be interesting imho.

100% agree with you on the engine.

I actually would really love to see something in the veins of Valkyria Chronicle revisited in FF style, so a free reign war themed Tabata game could be interesting imho.

100% agree with you on the engine.

Glad that I'm not alone ! Valkyria Chronicles combat is still underrated imo. It mixes everything I like in modern turn-base rpg.

Widge

I want them to either ditch the old mechanics of Final Fantasy for something new or embrace them fully. They seem to be stuck in some sort of halfway house.

I keep saying they should do a spin off series which allows them to do moderate budget turn based RPGs while allowing the main series to be their big budget action thing.

VC combat is for strategy games. It'd be awful to use something like that in FF games, where you fight in the realm of hundreds of battles.

Now, if you're talking a huge shift away from the norm, and an FF game where you only fought big, plot-relevant fights, then I'd be interested.

Bennettt2

I would love to see a FFXVI that is even more strongly character driven than past FFs. I want to see a story about a character that is unconventional in status or capability, such as a market shop owner or a beggar, and I want to see every detail of her/his world - the state of the bedroom (if one exists!), values about how she would treat the various levels of people, dress sense, opinions about random things, ambitions, etc.

Somehow tie this in with the usual epic story.

Final Fantasies keep raising the bar, yes? I think what I described would be a great start.

Oh yeah, and no more "pretty" characters. More everyday looking people.

Mr. RHC

As I have said a couple of times in previous threads, Agni's Philosophy looks very promising, so I agree with my fellow posters who have voiced similar things. Probably a Kara-Detroid situation, a Quantic Dream tech demo turned game.

Wouldn't it be a waste to let that character design go?

agni__s_philosophy_by_unknownimouz15-d5f6ovs.gif

tumblr_m56kqwgdvA1r1afgwo1_r1_500.gif

DKHF

As I have said a couple of times in previous threads, Agni's Philosophy looks very promising, so I agree with my fellow posters who have voiced similar things. Probably a Kara-Detroid situation, a Quantic Dream tech demo turned game.

Wouldn't it be a waste to let that character design go?

agni__s_philosophy_by_unknownimouz15-d5f6ovs.gif

tumblr_m56kqwgdvA1r1afgwo1_r1_500.gif
Tabata's business division at Square Enix is working on a new IP according to this http://www.jp.square-enix.com/recruit/career/group/2bd/

They could morph Agni's Philosophy into that new IP even though it's called a Final Fantasy tech demo. Or just make it a mainline title and have another team work on it. I think both of those options are possible.

OnFire331

A lot here talking about wanting Agni's Philosophy as FFXVI. I'm sure SE can deliver something equal or better than that, we just don't know what it is yet. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised when FFXVI is announced.

18-Volt

- Fairytale/Steampunk mixture setting similar to FF9 and FF12
- More artsy design instead of realistic design. No animey, maybe something more like FFT games.
- Social links similar to Persona. This should be a staple for all RPG's
- Detailed weapon crafting system.
- Badass villain. Something diffirent from all other cliche RPG's.
- Different races a la Ivalice universe. This should give the game Star Wars feeling, the reason the series were created in first place.
- Dungeons like impossible labyrinths, should be possible to lost in them
- Puzzles in dungeons. Quality ones unlike grab the ball, place the ball stuff in FFX.
- Seamless open world with rideable stuff including chocobos.
- More often boss battles.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Make a Final Fantasy Tactics 2 with the same art style as the first except in HD & longer story, and call it Final Fantasy XVI. I seriously think they should do it, just put "Tactics" somewhere in the subtitle.

I just hope it's a linear story that eventually opens up into optional quests á la FF X and XIII rather than an open world/non-linear game with WRPG influences like FF XII and XV.

That's not to say I'm not hyped for FF XV - I very much am - but I far prefer linear games to open-world ones. The pacing in FF X (after the intro) and XIII was top-notch.

Dame

She's been crystallized for the whole time, how's she supposed to do anything?

Do you see part of what I mean?

That's the thing. Tuna still had to wait for Tidus to come to the rescue, to save her from a bad choice she "made". You pointed out how on the surface she is this frail thing in need of protection, but ultimately is strong-willed. The two aren't mutually exclusive, is what I'm saying. You can write a competent leading woman til the cows come home, but still play into a guy's sense of protectiveness and all that cutesy "save me" nonsense at the same time.

As for Luna. Not necessarily "stronger", but clearly someone with agency, not sitting around hoping for noctis to come. Like you said though; I might be (hopefully) surprised at the outcome. I just want them to write one charismatic woman as a lead, who doesn't fall into the dagger/yuna archetype, since they are the exact same person, despite their aimiability, without giving in to any stereotypes, in a world with unnecessarily ornamented weapons and spells/bells/rpg whistles.

Edit: turn based. Turn based. For the love of Jesus square, you goldfish attention span-having hamsters. Turn based. Just one more.

Top Bottom