• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XVI - Your hopes, dreams and fears!

Make Final Fantasy Tactics 2, directed by Hiroyuki Ito, set in Ivalice, written by Yasumi Matsuno who also helps design some new systems alongside Ito and together evolve the SRPG genre. Get Hitoshi Sakimoto to compose, Akihiko Yoshida to do all of the character designs and Yoko Taro to write and direct the game's DLC.
Call it "Final Fantasy XVI". Profit.

Kenpa64

Use Luminous Engine and make us cry.

Maybe a turn based game, but with modern gameplay. And full of Fantasy.

Still, we have to see how FFXV actually is.

Koozek

Actually I want a Final Fantasy SRPG.

Mainline.
Make Final Fantasy Tactics 2, directed by Hiroyuki Ito, set in Ivalice, written by Yasumi Matsuno who also helps design some new systems alongside Ito and together evolve the SRPG genre. Get Hitoshi Sakimoto to compose, Akihiko Yoshida to do all of the character designs and Yoko Taro to write and direct the game's DLC.
Call it "Final Fantasy XVI". Profit.

Man, as someone who always defends FFXV's move away from ATB, you just made me realize how people, who just don't like action-based combat and aren't excited about FFXV because of that, must feel. I always thought they were being cry-babies, but thinking about FFXVI straight-up being a SRPG would kill a lot of my excitement, too. Sorry to @AgeEighty, I understand you now :D

Saladinoo

Do you want me to have a heart attack?

tumblr_m6nhnuB4gW1qlknxjo2_250.gif

Ha I watched Sleepy Hollow for the first time Yesterday, great movie!

As for FFXVI... Can we go back to pre-rendered backgrounds? :')

Hmmm, I would like to see a pause and command combat system (real time with pause) that would be nice. Having all designed encounters for difficulty, encourage a progression system of specialization for replay value. A story that just has people, no gods, no spirits, no overarching evil, just the intersecting motivations of people and their strengths and weaknesses. That's it for me.

.JayZii

Banned
Hopes/Dreams:
Return to turn-based combat.

Fantasy world with just touches of modernity/sci-fi.

Akihiko Yoshida Character designs.

Visual splendor.

Shimomura, Hamauzu, Uematsu soundtrack contributions.

It's already a ways into pre-production

Fears:
2022 release

Bland action rpg, light on the rpg.

Severance

I'd like to see some new blood take on FFXVI. Someone who has never done a mainline FF before. I don't have anyone in particular in mind, but I'd like to see a diversion away from previous styles of FF. Futuristic, medieval, a mix between the two.. Its all good.

Real time combat would be fine with me. Would like to see something like FFXII meets Mass Effect. Gambits if you just wanna roll, or pause and command to strategize. Also, the ability to control any character in your party. This all leads into an increased difficulty. The most challenging Final Fantasy to date. FFXIII was a breeze. Too easy is not fun.

Light_End

Banned
Gooch comes back. It's done in 3 years.

I honestly would not mind. It would make development a lot cheaper.

I don't know about development costs or actual pre-rendered backgrounds, but technology has progressed to the point where I don't even think pre-rendering is necessary.

XV could probably achieve pre-rendered quality (and a decent framerate) easily if it only operated in controlled environments without having to worry about making assets miles away look good.

Saladinoo

I don't know about development costs or actual pre-rendered backgrounds, but technology has progressed to the point where I don't even think pre-rendering is necessary.

XV could probably achieve pre-rendered quality (and a decent framerate) easily if it only operated in controlled environments without having to worry about making assets miles away look good.

Good point. What I want is lots of small, detailed, VARIED areas with interesting characters and other things to interact with rather than the sprawling lots of nothing in most RPG's today or boring "corridors" like in FFXIII

Walpurgis

Banned
I want a massive open world medieval RPG with a ton of meaningful side content to learn more about the deep lore (like The Witcher 3). The story should be more mature and there should be some politics. Basically, I want FFXII without Vaan. The party should be composed of characters that serve actual purposes and I want them each to have their own side quests. All party members should be controllable and combat should be something like FFXII. The game should have co-op (friends can play as party members) and interesting asynchronous multiplayer features.

The localisation should be handled by the people that did FFXII and should be a top priority for the game.

The villain needs to be a deep character that doesn't just show up twice in the game like in Dragon Age. She/he needs to have believable motives and not be evil for the sake of evil. I would actually prefer the villain to not be evil at all, something like a morally grey war where we just happen to be on one side.

For story, I want a sprawling epic with political intrigue and some quieter moments.

Graphics need to be the best damn thing ever, something like Star Wars Battlefront.

I would like the protagonist to be a less conventional character than the past. Examples include a mother who has lost her children, an old man who has led a pathetic and empty life and wants to give it meaning in his last days, and a usurper.

Dame

Please be about a leading woman who isn't a delicate, waifu stereotype, targeted at our sense of protectiveness. Please let that be joined with one who isn't a cardboard yet melodramatic pain-in-the-ass like lightning.

Who am I kidding? It's a jrpg made by square.

The writing to be handled by a western third party, that does not care about time travel plots or saving the world. Better yet, the in-house team that wrote FFXII. Once they broke from "teen saves world", you knew that xii was something kinda special. None of that will happen though.

Aters

Please be about a leading woman who isn't a delicate, waifu stereotype, targeted at our sense of protectiveness. Please let that be joined with one who isn't a cardboard yet melodramatic pain-in-the-ass like lightning.

Who am I kidding? It's a jrpg made by square.

The writing to be handled by a western third party, that does not care about time travel plots or saving the world. Better yet, the in-house team that wrote FFXII. Once they broke from "teen saves world", you knew that xii was something kinda special. None of that will happen though.

???
All the female charterers in FF series have been strong and lovable, except maybe Lightning. Even Sarah in FFXIII-2 is a strong and determined character despite her appearance. Luna in the FFXV trailer looks independent and strong as well. I'd say Square has a much better track record of creating female characters than male characters.

Also, the only "waifu stereotype" I can think of in any FF games are those in Type-0, but even they never invoke "sense of protectiveness". In fact, the only character in FF series that truly targeted for sense of protextiveness is Cloud. Tifa has to look after him.

My hopes: Motoru Toriyama at the helm and Masashi Hamauzu with Takeharu Ishimoto as the composers.

My dreams: Take FFXIII cast and have place them in a different world with a different story, like a "what if" scenario if the characters from FFXIII were born in a different universe.

My fears: I will never get to see Lightning, Serah, Noel, Snow, Hope and Vanille as main characters again and that breaks my heart :(

I do believe this is the most unpopular opinion in this thread. I think I've seen enough of Lightning and Snow, but a bit more Hope and Noel is fine. (God these names are awful)

For FFXVI I hope it is back to medieval like how Verendus said it would be or would be super futuristic, and almost space opera like.

Gameplay I could care less between action or turn based I have always loved both.

I agree with your staff picks. Would love some Soken compositions on it though.

Mainly I just want something brand fucking new. I don't want Agni's Philosophy or any type of tech demo previously seen. I want something brand new that we have never seen in concept or anything. I want to feel like how I did back in 2006 when they announced and showed 3 new FFs, now I obviously hope for different outcomes, but the sentiment is for a new experience and one I don't have to wait 10 years to get.

Gooch comes back. It's done in 3 years.
Maybe get a collab with MistWalker, get Gooch to come up with the concept and maybe direct it(or just oversee it), and have the bulk of the work done by Square Enix. Hell yeah, I'd go for that.

A single player campaign, though I think you can do that now with Trusts.

Though I'd like a back to fantasy roots myself. Seems the online games tend to go that route. Getting pretty tired of sci-fi cyberpunk.

Yeah, it seems they are reluctant to go full fantasy offline(the closest since FFIX was FFXII, which I'd kinda chalk down to being a unique setting that mixes medieval fantasy, Mediterranean/Middle Eastern style with slivers of modern styles and high technology). We get online FFs that are like that though, but I would LOVE to see the reverse happen. An offline, mainline FF game that's medieval fantasy(with nods to the kind of worlds you seen in the earlier FFs) and have an online FF game that is set in a futuristic/Cyberpunk world(similar to that of FFVII or FFVIII). THAT would be an interesting change.

And bringing up "Space Opera", I kinda always wanted to see a FF set between two planets, where you and your party(made up of natives of your planet and the other one) must stop a wide scale interplanetary war. FFs have dealt with similar themes to a lesser degree. Most of them are sorta schemes concocted by an "alien" to fuck up the "main planet"(FFIV and FFIX) in some way, or just traveling to another planet entirely(FFV). Never a real full on, planet vs planet conflict.

mcz117chief

My hopes: Motoru Toriyama at the helm and Masashi Hamauzu with Takeharu Ishimoto as the composers.

My dreams: Take FFXIII cast and place them in a different world with a different story, like a "what if" scenario if the characters from FFXIII were born in a different universe.

My fears: I will never get to see Lightning, Serah, Noel, Snow, Hope and Vanille as main characters again and that breaks my heart :(

caffeware

Banned
Why are you guys writing Matsuno off? He is a freelancer now, he tweets a lot about ff14, and apparently he been cooking something for some time.

Aters

Why are you guys writing Matsuno off? He is a freelancer now, he tweets a lot about ff14, and apparently he been cooking something for some time.

Judging by the amount of FF14 he tweets, I don't know if he's cooking anything at all or just chilling back home.

My dreams: Take FFXIII cast and place them in a different world with a different story, like a "what if" scenario if the characters from FFXIII were born in a different universe.

jeanralphio-why.gif

Ganondorfo

I think XV will be the last Final Fantasy, I dont think Square will make another one anymore. (not one of a main series, spinoffs and MMORPGS yes).

We should be happy that we got so many Final Fantasies.

george_us

I want Agni's Philosophy turned into a full game. The character is already iconic and the setting was the freshest from FF in years.

I've stated this before but I'd love to see a Final Fantasy game with a strong inspiration from/elements of Japanese folklore thematically. Gameplay wise, on one hand I've always had a strong preference for action based combat and I would take either a Phantasy Star Online or FF: Crystal Chronicles style battle system. On the other hand, I would love to see their take on a world/battle system akin to Might and Magic Heroes or Age of Wonders, even if tailored down and/or experimented with. Kenji Ito is my favorite music composer at Square, so obviously I'd take him given my SaGa fandom haha.

Light_End

Banned
Good point. What I want is lots of small, detailed, VARIED areas with interesting characters and other things to interact with rather than the sprawling lots of nothing in most RPG's today or boring "corridors" like in FFXIII

Yeah, there's a certain magic to be had with pre-rendered backgrounds that you simply cannot achieve with any level of free camera movement. Sometimes I like to just sit back and enjoy seeing what the game wants me to see for a change without having to think about the camera.

I don't think FFXV would be the best place to do that being an action game and all (but DMC gets by just fine), but i'm kind of holding out hope that FFVII:Remake gives us some static camera love.

Most FF's have god tier OSTs.

I do agree with that XIII's was underrated for the most part.

I passionately hate the XIII trilogy, but Saber's Edge is still hands down my favorite Final Fantasy boss theme to date.

I think XII's is probably the more underrated one. It wasn't memorable in the same way as the others, but it was wonderful nonetheless in its own way. It gave a great atmosphere to the areas in a game where you can easily spend a massive amount of time running around doing things.

Edit: underrated, sorry

I want this:
Oyk0SO3.jpg

I definitely don't want this. If Square are at the point where they're saying "Hey, that tech demo we made got people really excited! Let's try and build a game around it!" Instead of creating an amazing story and relying on it selling itself like the old days of Final Fantasy, then I'll have doubts about the quality of the game throughout it's entire 10 year announce-release cycle.

yunbuns

Structure:
-a trilogy or something similar so that they can reuse assets and speed up the development like most modern RPGs
-each mainline entry is totally standalone, a proud and costly tradition of Final Fantasy

Basic:
-single player
-MMO
-a combination like The Division

Setting:
-medieval (FFI-FFV, FFIX, FFXI, FFXIV)
-Ivalice (FFT FFXII)
-near future & reality (FFVII, FFXV, Igni's philosophy)
-futuristic (FFVIII, FFXIII)
-steampunk (FFVI)
-exotic and hard to categorize (FFX, FFX-2)
-time travel (FFXIII-2)

System:
-old turn base (FFI-FFIII, FFX)
-ATB (FFIV-FFIX, FFX-2, FFXIII, FFXIII-2)
-ATB but people can move (FFXI, FFXII, FFXIV)
-action (FFXV)
-something new (LRFFXIII)

Personally, I hope XVI isn't Agnis Philosphy since it didn't really get my excited to be honest. I'm honestly crossing my fingers for XVI to be a throwback to IX.

Light_End

Banned
I definitely don't want this. If Square are at the point where they're saying "Hey, that tech demo we made got people really excited! Let's try and build a game around it!" Instead of creating an amazing story and relying on it selling itself like the old days of Final Fantasy, then I'll have doubts about the quality of the game throughout it's entire 10 year announce-release cycle.

This, so much this. I am sick and tired of square getting such boners from their visual concepts that they span entire development cycles.

Advent Children is probably more responsible for the recent Final Fantasy blunders than anything. They spent years upon years trying to make "combat that resembles Advent Children" and "models that resemble Advent Children" and "cutscenes that resemble Advent Children" and it's proved to be overly ambitious every single time. (Except maybe Kingdom Hearts II, but then again you can make an argument against that too.)

Hell they're STILL namedropping AC even in FFXV...if they're still bothering with Agni after XV then i'm going to be uneasy.

.JayZii

Banned
You don't think they made a tech demo around story ideas they already had percolating? I doubt they made that tech demo based on nothing.

Aters

You don't think they made a tech demo around story ideas they already had percolating? I doubt they made that tech demo based on nothing.

I agree, that demo has a setting, a context, and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a story behind it. Authentically it looks gorgeous and I like the background music.
Every story starts with an idea, and if a writer can develop a story based on who the girl is is why she's been chased, I can see a good story being made.

120v

i just hope it's not a regression... problem is with multiple teams working on these games good ideas from previous entries usually don't carry over. a good case of this is XII ---> XIII

it's hard to say what i want from XVI in particular because so much hinges on XV setting the standard. has yet to be seen if it's something worth building on or if it's time to go back to the drawing board

Dee Dee

It's going to be a MOBA/Hero Brawler.

Search your heart, you know it is true. The most money that any entries made was from the MMO's. By the time FFXVI comes out, A Realm Reborn will be stagnating at least.
Combine that with Squeenix interest in mobile and maybe an interest in foraging into esports?
It's a MOBA with FF heroes!
(Well, maybe not marked as a mainline entry, but they have to shake things up and go a different way after all that everlasting FFXV development cycle. I think they are already splitting off their hardcore JRPG stuff to Tokyo RPG Factory, so FF is due for some casualisation. Similar to their efforts to sell FFXIII to the Western X-Box crowd.)

It's definitely far from the best, but it's still solid.

I agree - the story was very poorly executed, and the game needed more room to breathe (towns), but I enjoyed everything else. I happily played it through twice, and how many other 60 hour games inspire me to do the same? Very few.

I think it's a great OST as well, I probably prefer XIV:RR, but still one of the best of any game I played in the PS3/360 generation.

At some point I got tired of defending it, but I still don't see it as a black mark so much as a low point.

That said, I still don't want Toriyama directing XVI - he's great with scenarios, but can't seem to tie it all together when he's in charge.

I agree - the story was very poorly executed, and the game needed more room to breathe (towns), but I enjoyed everything else. I happily played it through twice, and how many other 60 hour games inspire me to do the same? Very few.

I think it's a great OST as well, I probably prefer XIV:RR, but still one of the best of any game I played in the PS3/360 generation.

At some point I got tired of defending it, but I still don't see it as a black mark so much as a low point.

That said, I still don't want Toriyama directing XVI - he's hreat with scenarios, but can't seem to tie it all together when he's in charge.

Yeah I think by saying it is a black mark is amazing honestly that from the mainline FFs THAT is the worst game. Other series aren't so lucky. Obviously worst and best in the series is subject to many different opinions but the overall opinion seems to be XIII worst. Even though II could objectively be the worst

Yeah I think by saying it is a black mark is amazing honestly that from the mainline FFs THAT is the worst game. Other series aren't so lucky. Obviously worst and best in the series is subject to many different opinions but the overall opinion seems to be XIII worst. Even though II could objectively be the worst

That's for sure, particularly not other series with so many installments.

My money is on 2 for worst, but I'm also sympathetic to arguments for VIII and XIII (discounting spin-offs and sequels of course).

Top Bottom