• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Revolution Name Announced: Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200604/N06.0427.1154.38678.htm

Matt Atwood said:
There is no Nintendo Wii. It’s just Wii. It’s a very inclusive name in that respect.

Pretty interesting. This could actually work in their favour. Imagine seeing simply "Wii" on electronic goods boxes - I actually think it does fit in with contemporary electronic devices and goes some way to separating it from the "videogame sphere"...which is, afterall, exactly what Nintendo seem to desire in order to attract a new audience.

This name isn't half as bad as I initially thought, but I wonder if people might end up actually pronouncing this "We-I" or "We-e"

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
The blogosphere is crazy, both good and bad.

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com

Bill Harris said:
Wii.

"Revolution" was a great name for a console. It might well have been the greatest console name ever. So, of course, Nintendo changed it to something totally incomprehensible.

Don't even try to tell me you're surpriised. Nintendo is your slightly creepy uncle who never made it past the fourth grade and can't have a normal conversation, but he's a world-class banjo player.

Nintendo is both incomprehensibly brilliant and incomprehensibly stupid, often in the same hour. They get far more credit these days for games they didn't make. You know, like this: "Katamari Damacy? Great game. It's the kind of game Nintendo would make." Except, of course, Nintendo didn't make it.

Instead, they made their sixtieth Mario game. Or the third version of the Nintendo DS.

I still think the Revolution (excuse me--"Wii") is a novel, terrific concept. But Nintendo has no capacity for its own brilliance.

So i got back from work and forums.gaming-age.com wouldnt load. So I try the Neogaf URL and nothing.

Somethings up, I say to myself. I go to gamespot, look around the page and see the poll.

"what do you think of the name Wii?"

WTF I say. I read the news story and am confused.

"Y? Oh, its we. Nintendo am fucked"

CNN put it well

"So why announce the name now and not at the show?

By letting the gaming community vent now about the name, they will be less distracted as launch titles for the system are announced and initial reports about what it's like to play the games begin to come in."

Its true.

Poor internet during E3. :(

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
The only decent comparison I've heard is Virgin, the google ones and Yahoo and things don't work.

Of course, Virgin has the advantage that people can immediately pronounce it, unlike Wii.

I still think it's fucking stupid in so many ways and could turn into the next purple console fiasco, but I hope I'm wrong. Amd at least Wii is better than Nintendo Wii.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
I can't believe some of you like that stupid blue logo :\

Anyway on Nintendo press site the logo is the one from the flash movie so i guess it's the official one. Thanks god for that

Although I don't hate the new name so much like a lot of people do, how the fuck Nintendo board of directors have accepted this name? They know about the word sharing the same prononciation as wee. Let's hope Nintendo plan with this console justify this name.

Jiggy

soundwave05 said:
So does this make the "conventional thinkers" camp 0/3 now?

When the USA Today article came out last May, the 2-3x the power of GameCube comment raised a ton of eyebrows, and the "conventional thinkers" camp came out and made a million rationalizations why that was false.

Wrong.

With the controller, the "conventional thinkers" camp told us to expect maybe a touchscreen controller with configurable button layouts ... after all, Nintendo wouldn't do something too radical because third party ports would be tough.

Wrong.

Now the whole Wii name ...

The pricing of this machine will be very unconventional too IMO ... the people still saying "it'll be $200 because every other Nintendo system was" are going to be 0/4 very soon.

Iwata is taking basically every conventional game console "rule" and screwing it up the ass. :lol
The conventional thinking had better be right that the vast majority will despise this name, because massive fan backlash is our only hope for change. :|

Rocked

You just know in 2 years time people will be quoting this thread and :loling at how worked up everyone got over a simple brand name.

Although I don't hate the new name so much like a lot of people do, how the fuck Nintendo board of directors have accepted this name? They know about the word sharing the same prononciation as wee. Let's hope Nintendo plan with this console justify this name.

It looks 2 much like the intials for WW2, I mean, does a Jap company really need to remind us of that? I mean wee, please hear cums the Piss wars...Why not just call it "Pearl Harbor" because this babys sunk...:lol

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
MrSardonic said:
http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200604/N06.0427.1154.38678.htm

Pretty interesting. This could actually work in their favour. Imagine seeing simply "Wii" on electronic goods boxes - I actually think it does fit in with contemporary electronic devices and goes some way to separating it from the "videogame sphere"...which is, afterall, exactly what Nintendo seem to desire in order to attract a new audience.

This name isn't half as bad as I initially thought, but I wonder if people might end up actually pronouncing this "We-I" or "We-e"

You make too much sense STFU

Blackbird said:
Tribute to DefectiveReject's sig:
madden1aufixed.gif

THANKS MAN! *Sniff*

Now i've had time to let it sink in, its not too bad. And being as its just Wii and not Nintendo Wii helps.
its just getting the pronounciation right

Aurora

I don't know. My initial thought was "Ohhhh fuck no." but the more I get used to the idea the more I like it. I think the unofficial blue logo looks awesome and really suits the console and what it's about, simple, sleek and modern. I also love the fact that it has the blue glow thing going on. I'm not so fond of the official logo on the other hand. I mean there's nothing wrong with it but compared to the blue unofficial one it's pretty plain and boring.

But really my only complaint is the pronounciation, "we". It sounds stupid no matter how many times I say it. I think it's only the w too - I quite like the philosophy behind the two i's but the w just kills it IMO. Wee, weeeee, weeeeeeeeeeee. :(

APF

I'm already getting excited thinking about waving my waggle wand and playing Super Monkey Ball on my Wii.

SuperPac

Blackcherry said:

Simple: Nintendo does not make decisions based on how it will play in the American or European markets. It makes decisions based on the Japanese market, and many (if not most) of those decisions have also gone on to work pretty well in the US and Europe too. Nintendogs, Brain Training, Pokemon, etc. It is a huge gamble, but if it works out it could pay large dividends. Regardless, it'll do just fine in Japan.

Unison

Allow me to go on record saying that I think the Wii is a great name, given what Nintendo wants to do with the system.

The idea is to reach out to casuals and people who stopped gaming a while ago and the name is inclusive as a result.

I also appreciate that it has connotations that recall the Japanese word for "good" and the European pronunciation for "Wi-Fi". The symbolic image that the flash logo clearly conveys is pretty cool too.

So, no Wii hate from me.

I just figured I'd say that now. I imagine most people will be fine with the name in a while.

birdchili

aside from the fact I'm going to have to endure my lifetime capacity of piss-jokes in the next few days, it's a better name than iPod or Yahoo. I was *always* fond of Google, though - that's a great name.

the comparison with Virgin is a bit strange, as "virgin" has a more-or-less positive connotation, while "wee"... not so much.

I really like the *look* of the name more than the sound of it. They're going to need to advertise like crazy. Overall... thumbs (waveringly) up.

also...

implied by name and accompanying video and writeup: two controllers standard in the box?

the epic single-player game fan within grows more fearful...

I hated it at first but I'm getting used to it.

I'm at the point now where I honestly don't mind it.

Think this'll be the norm? Or will most people continue to hate it.

My view is -

The name is short.
The jokes are funny.
It's memorable.
It's actually quite stylish.
It's easily marketable... Infact, it markets itself pretty much.

EVERYONE will hear about the Wii and everyone will remember it. It'll lose it's piss meaning and everyone will get used to it and only fanboys will bring up the piss jokes.

But for now, the urine comments are still funny.

Definitely weird, but in the nonsensical-but-used-to-it department it reminds me of wiki and Vaio.

hyp said:
wtf?! worst marketing move ever... no one is going to know how to pronounce that.
They'll hear it on commercials. All the news stories put pronunciation in the first paragraph, if not the first sentence.

Rocked said:
It's worth remembering that the worlds biggest electronics company is called SIEMENS. I don't think the name will be such a problem. We'll get used to it.
:)

Definitely weird, but in the nonsensical-but-used-to-it department it reminds me of wiki and Vaio.

hyp said:
wtf?! worst marketing move ever... no one is going to know how to pronounce that.
They'll hear it on commercials. All the news stories put pronunciation in the first paragraph, if not the first sentence.

Rocked said:
It's worth remembering that the worlds biggest electronics company is called SIEMENS. I don't think the name will be such a problem. We'll get used to it.

hyp said:

Rocked said:

Johnas

What in the world is going on with the site? Took me exactly 30 minutes to get from turning my computer on to typing this.

I was having an unusually great day until I read this news. I thought Revolution was a really great name, it really fit the console well. Wii, however...I just don't even enjoy saying it. "Playstation 3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii." It just doesn't sound right at all to me. I am honestly disappointed and loathe the new name. Maybe I'll get used to it, heck maybe I'll even like it over time, but right now I think it's flat out horrible.

I wonder what Reggie's true thoughts are.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I just printed out Wii (since GAF is down) on a piece of paper and showed my mom.

She lol'd.

Cosmozone

Finally able to log in and post something. :lol.

wtf10lc.jpg

This is hard to take. It wouldn't be as bad if it weren't for the possible pun fests, but so I can hardly imagine that they knew about the 'wee' beforehand and still decided to go with it. Perry Kaplan's points don't really hold for me. Google, Yahoo, also Gamecube, Dreamcast, etc... I was okay with them right from the start. Not so for 'Wii'. I'll probably get over it, just as I got over with Xbox 360, the only other console name that's more awkward (because it's that stupid), than Revolution's new one.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=3&cId=3149198

originally said

What About That Final Secret?

Miyamoto and Iwata have hinted at a final secret for Wii that has yet to be revealed. And while we're sworn to secrecy, 1UP knows what this secret is -- and it's rather revolutionary. In fact, it's perhaps the most intriguing element of the system -- something with some rather cool implications for gaming. Let's just say that people have more to look forward to at E3.

edited by 1up to

What About That Final Secret?

Miyamoto and Iwata have hinted at a final secret for Wii that has yet to be revealed. And while we don't have all the details, we've heard that what's in store is exciting indeed -- secrets of a rather revolutionary nature, with some rather cool implications for gaming. Needless to say, we're looking forward to E3.

Ben Sones

Tyrone Slothrop said:
the ipod's success is pretty much where nintendo is getting its idea for attracting a "mass market" that includes non-gamers. Wii sounds about as welcoming as Ipod.

See, the difference is that "iPod" doesn't sound like anything. It's a totally made up word. Whereas "Wii" sounds like a euphemism for urine.

Raw64life

Revolution is a much better name for the console no doubt, but if I can get used to saying "Xbox" out loud with a straight face, I'll certainly be able to get used to saying "Wii".

Rocked

This is brilliant!

"Let's give it a name that sounds a bit rude. E3's about to start but people will be so busy being outraged or making wee jokes to notice anything the competition are saying. Nintendo F0r Teh wIn!!!"

:D

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I like it. :)

Such a fresh departure from they typical "***** #" or "***** [Acronym]" template for naming consoles.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
As someone already mentioned, this is a really good time to release information this controversial. Can you imagine if they did this at the press conference on May 9th? No one would talk about the games. :lol

Ark-AMN

Banned
it's uh.....different?

Dunno why Nintendo wanted to make a name with a "deeper meaning", thats not what consumers care about regarding the console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom