• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Revolution Name Announced: Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.

lancubap

Analysis II:

Well, back to Wii, I'm interested in Nintendo's marketing campaign too, but one thing is sure: create buzz, create Hype like we have seen in the past 3 days is ONE part of Nintendo's strategy.
And probably this is the good marketing move for Hardcore's Gamers.

For all other people, for who that doesn't play anymore or that has never played, a different marketing campaign will be necessary and something says me that this commercials will be more "written" then "listen", and will be more about "How Wii play" then "What we play": sure, games are the CORE of Wii, but the Controller will have a Big part of Wii's Promotion and the Virtual Console too of course.

EDIT:

kaizoku said:
I think what you have to do is stop worrying about how human society will accept this brand. Thats not really an issue we should care about or be concerned with, its not worth discussing anymore because none of us can really anticipate how marketing and experiencing will influence society.

What might be worth discussing is the thinking behind it - what direction is Nintendo taking? Wii doesn't sound like the name for a console or a product. It sounds like its a visual representation for an experience, or a social phenomenon. A revolution even.

Visually it embodies the direction Nintendo wants to take its next gen. Its clean, attractive and so weird and strange that you are compelled to think "what is that?". A non-gamer would not read playstation 3 and think "oh yeh I know that" - they would just think "meh". How do you guys feel about the various brands of professional kitchen knives or headphones or industrial lights? You see it, you might recognise it as what it is and thats it. You remove it from your mind, you dont give a damn.

So Wii is peculiar, memorable and curious as a brand first and a console name 2nd.

but its also intimate and familiar, like the gameplay and controller, its weird and unique, but when you use it or play it is designed to be completely natural and familiar. Thats what I think is Nintendo's thinking - either that or its a joke lol, but now that they have revealed something like Wii, I dont want them to go back to <generic console name> because the marketing and thinking behind Wii is a good move.

I agree completely. I think that if this thread want to survive, we must take this direction of the discussion. Now all have said if this name is good or not and now it is time to say something new and your post is a good start.

EDIT 2:

1) As I have already said, this name will attract people and tehy will ask what Wii is.
Then, and most important, they will understand that is something totally new and this is why the name is Wii and NOT Nintendo Wii: to dssociate Wii from Gamecube.

2) After that, because humans are after all curious, they will try the console and THIS is what Nintendo hope !
The name is the vehicle, the car, the vector that will drive Wii to the success, because Nintendo know perfectly that if one person will play Wii, he will be conquered without doubts.
THE problem is attract people to the console and make sure that all will TRY & PLAY the console: this is why buzz, discussions and a curious, ok, ridicuoul name is necessary !!!
If the name is Standard, the reaction will be Standard. To attrct people, the best thing is find the way to arouse, to provoke curiosity.

3) Wii is misterious. Nobody has said this thing, but when a thing is not clear, but it is redundant (and here Nintendo's marketing campaign must absolutely be good !), people will try to find a link with what they already know, and the fact that this link doesn't exist will drive people not only to ask what this thing could be, but, most important, to discuss it, to try it, to paly it and finally, to buy it !!!

Ponn

Banned
Error2k4 said:
:lol running damage control.

gaf policy:

1)if you make a post that sounds you are defending a company's decision you are damage controlling

2)if you criticize the company's decision, you are trolling.

3)taking a middle stand is not acceptable.

I just said that people are overreacting over a fucking name. people like you, which would surprise if you aren't there on launch day asking for a Wii.

Pssst..launch day, but ordering online so I don't have to ASK for it:lol

Yea, and sorry if my opinion does not jive with yours but I think Nintendo actually has something good on their hands this time and a great opening to carve out a huge niche market. Too pull a 180 though and fumble it at the end with something so stupid as this name, something that should have been simple is just aggrivating.

I'm bitching because i'm not being complacent and i'm hoping they do change it beforehand. We can just as easily say "oh well, lets wait and see whos right and if it will effect them or not" but see I actually want them to succeed with this. I'd rather not be on a message board a year from now saying "HAHA I was right, the name sucked and no one liked it" I would rather that not be a factor for them to overcome. Now you can lay back and say "Nintendo don't give a shit about me of what I think" and thats fine for you, even though that strangely is the exact opposite of what the normal Nintendo Fan Mantra is. And if they do decide not to listen to the onslaught of negative reaction and people telling them the name sucks and it does become a problem for them then shame on them and they deserve no pity from anyone.

If they stick with it and succeed despite the god awful name then I will be more then happy to eat crow and market a new candy bar named "Poo".

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
fair enough I understand where you are coming and I kinda of agree with you. the overreaction here is fucking hilarious tho which that was my whole point in the first place.

I'm going to wait and see what Nintendo marketing team do with this name if the trailer was any indication well I'm not really worry about it. I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the whole show which should pretty interesting.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Ponn01 said:
Pssst..launch day, but ordering online so I don't have to ASK for it:lol

Yea, and sorry if my opinion does not jive with yours but I think Nintendo actually has something good on their hands this time and a great opening to carve out a huge niche market. Too pull a 180 though and fumble it at the end with something so stupid as this name, something that should have been simple is just aggrivating.

I'm bitching because i'm not being complacent and i'm hoping they do change it beforehand. We can just as easily say "oh well, lets wait and see whos right and if it will effect them or not" but see I actually want them to succeed with this. I'd rather not be on a message board a year from now saying "HAHA I was right, the name sucked and no one liked it" I would rather that not be a factor for them to overcome. Now you can lay back and say "Nintendo don't give a shit about me of what I think" and thats fine for you, even though that strangely is the exact opposite of what the normal Nintendo Fan Mantra is. And if they do decide not to listen to the onslaught of negative reaction and people telling them the name sucks and it does become a problem for them then shame on them and they deserve no pity from anyone.

If they stick with it and succeed despite the god awful name then I will be more then happy to eat crow and market a new candy bar named "Poo".

You know what, I think Rev would have failed totally if it had actually stuck with the Revolution name. Or if it had chosen the next generic game console name. xbox, gamecube, name+number, descriptive words etc. It would be a failure of a brand, it would be swallowed up amidst the other gaming brands. It simply would not match their strategy so far, I am really glad it seems they have recognised this - it shows that in one way they know what they are doing.

Interestingly I think the PSP may be suffering from this. It can never come close to rivalling the iPod - not because of its size and format but first and foremost its got the playstation name in it. The name is popular, descriptive and well known,the perfect console name? However its image is so strongly associated with games that it cant compete with the mass market penetration of a new and fresh brand such as iPod.

Something to think about.

SuperPac

Two questions I have yet to see answered by any of the gaming news outlets --

What does retail think of the name?
What do third party publishers think of the name?

I can guess that they dislike it like most everyone else. But to what extent? It's not like they're not going to carry it/continue with the games planned.

It's going to be hilarious to open up the Best Buy weekly ad and see "Wii now on sale."

jacomar

Neo Member
SuperPac said:
Two questions I have yet to see answered by any of the gaming news outlets --

What does retail think of the name?
What do third party publishers think of the name?

I can guess that they dislike it like most everyone else.....

You mean like most everyone one else on the gaming forums? or you are talking everybody in the EU Japan and the US?

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
SuperPac said:
It's going to be hilarious to open up the Best Buy weekly ad and see "Wii now on sale."
to me seeing it isn't as much a problem as hearing it. If I see the word "Wii" printed anywhere it isn't going to feel as odd as hearing the pronounciation of the same word. Visually I think the word is actually quite funky and perfect for product branding...
wii.jpg

it's when you hear the word that it seems strange.

Trurl

Banned
This thread needs more people that work for Ninendo's PR.

Anyways, I've reached the point of being neutral about the name. If the Wii ends up being an awesome product I'm sure I'll think of Wii being an awesome name too.

hyp

let's try and derail this thread away from the bickering for a bit.... how have your casual friends responded to the new name?

so far, the majority hate it and laughed a bit when i told them what the new name was. and then there were those "apple" types that thought it was genius and very "modern."

so, what's the verdict in casual land?

Scalemail Ted: Wii is here!
Xrenity: No, we are here.
Scalemail Ted: Yeah, Look! Right there! (Points to console)
Xrenity: No listen, you have to use the plural form ‘are’, not ‘is’
Scalemail Ted: But there’s only one.
Xrenity: Then it’d be I.
Scalemail Ted: But there’s two I’s
Xrenity: Two I’s? Then that would be plural form I guess, so… we?
Scalemail Ted: That’s what I said, Wii is here!
Xrenity: No, we are here. …ARE.
Scalemail Ted: NO, its “is,” as in third person singular
Xrenity: You can’t use “we” in the third person
Scalemail Ted: What? why not?
Xrenity: Because its first person plural
Scalemail Ted: No this is the Nintendo Wii.
Xrenity: Is that like the royal “We”?
Scalemail Ted: WTF are you talking about?
Xrenity: Pluralis Majestatis.
Scalemail Ted: I don’t think you understand.
Xrenity: I don’t understand? You’re the one talking like a retard.
Scalemail Ted: You see that box there, that’s Wii.
Xrenity: Like metaphorically speaking?
Scalemail Ted: No quite literally, that is Wii.
Xrenity: I’m not following you. What’s that suppose to mean?
Scalemail Ted: It doesn’t mean anything, it’s just a name.
Xrenity: That doesn’t make any sense!
Scalemail Ted: Its not about you or me, it’s about Wii.
Xrenity: I have a question for you.
Scalemail Ted: Sure.
Xrenity: Why are *WE* friends? You stupid Putz.
Scalemail Ted: You know what, never mind. I also hate you.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
The name is growing on me. It certainly doesnt sound as bad as it used to, but Im far from convinced by it. The only good thing about it is that its so easy to make good advertising campaigns with it such as "wii will rock you", wii can play together" etc. I guess if Nintendo do advertise it like that then they'll have a good chance of making the name popular.

hyp said:
let's try and derail this thread away from the bickering for a bit.... how have your casual friends responded to the new name?

so far, the majority hate it and laughed a bit when i told them what the new name was. and then there were those "apple" types that thought it was genius and very "modern."

My family has remained as indifferent to the name Wii as they do to anything that has to do with video games. Basically, they aren't more or less likely to buy it than they ever were.

Xristot

I was talking to two friends last night who did not hear of the name yet. When I mentioned it to them, they did't get it at first

Me: "did you hear the official revolution name?"
Them: "No, they changed it?"
Me: "Yeah, it's called Wii"

They were slightly taken aback by it...

Me: "Wii, W. I. I"
Them: "hmm"
Me: "Wii as in, Wii will change everything."
Them: "Oh....thats pretty cool."

after that i told them that monkey ball 3 was announced for Wii and they went nuts... haha.

Seriously, I don't think it'll be a big problem, but thats just from my experiences.

SuperPac

I've mentioned it to two casual gamers. They didn't think it was all that weird. Their opinion was one of indifference to the name.

hyp

Scalemail Ted said:
Scalemail Ted: Wii is here!
Xrenity: No, we are here.
Scalemail Ted: Yeah, Look! Right there! (Points to console)
Xrenity: No listen, you have to use the plural form ‘are’, not ‘is’
Scalemail Ted: But there’s only one.
Xrenity: Then it’d be I.
Scalemail Ted: But there’s two I’s
Xrenity: Two I’s? Then that would be plural form I guess, so… we?
Scalemail Ted: That’s what I said, Wii is here!
Xrenity: No, we are here. …ARE.
Scalemail Ted: NO, its “is,” as in third person singular
Xrenity: You can’t use “we” in the third person
Scalemail Ted: What? why not?
Xrenity: Because its first person plural
Scalemail Ted: No this is the Nintendo Wii.
Xrenity: Is that like the royal “We”?
Scalemail Ted: WTF are you talking about?
Xrenity: Pluralis Majestatis.
Scalemail Ted: I don’t think you understand.
Xrenity: I don’t understand? You’re the one talking like a retard.
Scalemail Ted: You see that box there, that’s Wii.
Xrenity: Like metaphorically speaking?
Scalemail Ted: No quite literally, that is Wii.
Xrenity: I’m not following you. What’s that suppose to mean?
Scalemail Ted: It doesn’t mean anything, it’s just a name.
Xrenity: That doesn’t make any sense!
Scalemail Ted: Its not about you or me, it’s about Wii.
Xrenity: I have a question for you.
Scalemail Ted: Sure.
Xrenity: Why are *WE* friends? You stupid Putz.
Scalemail Ted: You know what, never mind. I also hate you.

:lol wtf. i can't believe you have conversations like this.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
hyp said:

to be honest, after 5 days I haven't found one person outside of message boards who even thinks it's a big deal anymore. Not saying everyone loves it, but the message boards are the only place people are still complaining about it.

On a related note, I personally have not come across one person who the name changed their mind for them. the people who were going to buy it are still gonna buy it and the ones who weren't still won't.

On a final related note, Brain Age is a hit at work with non-game players. One guy even went out to buy a DS (says he hasn't been a gamer for over 10 years). If Nintendo can duplicate this on the Wii, the name won't matter outside of branding.

On related to THAT note, branding is really all that matters. If Wii turns out to be the shit, the name will also be the shit. It will enter into a strong cultural vocabulary and represent something most people will love. If we doesn't turn over into the mainstream culture, then it will just be another video game console name (with haters insisting it was because of the name that the system failed :|)

Amir0x

Banned
Trurl said:
If the Wii ends up being an awesome product I'm sure I'll think of Wii being an awesome name too.

How does Wii being an awesome product (it will be) make you suddenly think Wii is an awesome name? Because the name doesn't magically change if you enjoy the product behind it. It's still a shitty name, tried and untrue.

borghe

Amir0x said:
How does Wii being an awesome product (it will be) make you suddenly think Wii is an awesome name? Because the name doesn't magically change if you enjoy the product behind it. It's still a shitty name, tried and untrue.
The only thing Wii means (despite the attempts to insist on referencing potty humor) is the new Nintendo system. The names "coolness" so to speak is directly reflected in that. Google is NOT a cool name. no way in hell. But Google as a company and site fucking rule, thus Google rules. you will note I didn't differentiate the word alone in that last statement, and that's pretty much the point.

Wii will eventually stop being a "word" and just be what the new nintendo system is called. The name itself will be mocked if the system does poorly or will be regarded as hot if the system does phenomenally.

What's funny is that Yahoo holds up to one of the complaints on Wii (whee) het isn't criticized. then take out the fact that most people will not associate it to urine and one has to ask what the uproar is about. If Yahoo, Google, etc can have silly meaningless names, why not this? In the end the only thing that will matter is how the system itself is received.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Trurl said:
If the Wii ends up being an awesome product I'm sure I'll think of Wii being an awesome name too.
For the slow people who still don't understand a brand name is defined by its product/service, this has to be quoted. Again.

Wii means something. Once we know what, we'll see it in a brand new light.

borghe

PkunkFury said:
Noooo, this thread has enough Kool-aid being passed around already :(
I'm assuming you mean the vocal minority still bitching about a name 5 days later. I think most logical people agree XXXBox is worse than Wii, and yet people didn't bitch NEARLY this much when it was announced....

oh yeah, maybe because most people were expecting the system to bomb right out of the gate :p

AniHawk

Amir0x said:

People magically forgot how shitty names Playstation and Xbox were when they became successes.

Amir0x

Banned
borghe said:
The only thing Wii means (despite the attempts to insist on referencing potty humor) is the new Nintendo system. The names "coolness" so to speak is directly reflected in that. Google is NOT a cool name. no way in hell. But Google as a company and site fucking rule, thus Google rules. you will note I didn't differentiate the word alone in that last statement, and that's pretty much the point.

Wii will eventually stop being a "word" and just be what the new nintendo system is called. The name itself will be mocked if the system does poorly or will be regarded as hot if the system does phenomenally.

What's funny is that Yahoo holds up to one of the complaints on Wii (whee) het isn't criticized. then take out the fact that most people will not associate it to urine and one has to ask what the uproar is about. If Yahoo, Google, etc can have silly meaningless names, why not this? In the end the only thing that will matter is how the system itself is received.

I'm sorry, the distinction here you're making is fucking ridiculous. I like google, I liked yahoo at one time. However, 'google' and 'yahoo' are still fucking shitty names. That never changed no matter how good the product is. The product is good despite the atrocious name.

And the same will occur for Wii. Wii will be a great system, but the name will always be the worst console name ever conceived.

AniHawk said:
People magically forgot how shitty names Playstation and Xbox were when they became successes.

uh, no. This is ridiculous even for your typical sarcastic remarks. First of all, "PlayStation" is not a shitty or good name. It's neutral. It's self-explanatory, it doesn't immediately suggest anything negative, and it's not comprised entirely of made up fucking words.

Xbox is a shitty name, but it didn't stop being shitty because it was successful. I think the name is still shitty. Who said that now that we know Xbox is good, that the name stopped being shitty?

You will get USED to "Wii", the same as you got used to "360" or got used to "PlayStation". But shitty names ALWAYS remain shitty.

borghe

AniHawk said:
:lol :lol :lol but true.

Sony PlayStation? Can you get any more literal and mundane than that? It sounds like something you would read in a technical document or that existed in a 50's sci-fi move. The first time I heard it I thought that is just what the media was calling the unnamed Sony console for some reason. When I found out it was the actual name I envisioned some CD-I/3DO looking home theater piece.

I disliked the PSX name when learning it much more than I could have disliked Wii. but eventually it became the best selling console two generations in a row and it is what it is, the best selling console two generations in a row.

Amir0x said:
I'm sorry, the distinction here you're making is fucking ridiculous. I like google, I liked yahoo at one time. However, 'google' and 'yahoo' are still fucking shitty names. That never changed no matter how good the product is. The product is good despite the atrocious name.
so do you not say google? do you tell people "go to the internet's biggest search engine. you know, the one with that ridiculous name?" do you giggle/smirk/sneer every time you say google? Do you talk everyday about how shitty a name google is?

pretty much sums up the point. once the product is something tangible and known, the word will gain meaning. that meaning will either be cool and well accepted or laughed at and avoided. the name has nothing to do with that. no matter how much you say otherwise.

Amir0x said:
But shitty names ALWAYS remain shitty.
which in the scheme of things means jack and shit.

AniHawk said:

Exactly. Hell, I remember when the DS Lite was first announced everyone was saying it wouldn't sell because "Lite" inferred that it was somehow less feature-rich than the original DS. Once the general public assimilates to a product name, it becomes less...umm...wiird.

Kolgar

It's been my experience that obscure product names do more to obscure the product than generate curiosity on the part of the consumer.

There's just too much shit out there... People are too busy with their lives and the other 50,000 products fighting for their attention to give two squirts about your product and its weird-ass name. If they don't "get it" right away, they'll just move on. Your're done.

I can't wait to see how all this plays out.

Amir0x

Banned
borghe said:
:lol :lol :lol but true.

Ok it's becomming clearer you don't know what you're talking about.

This is not about Wii becoming a success or not. I think the name is shitty and the worst name ever chosen for a console - and it is - but I still think it's going to be a raging success.

If you thought PlayStation was a bad name, that's fine. It's successful DESPITE the name, not because WOW SUDDENLY PLAYSTATION IS A GOOD NAME. Same for Xbox.

borghe said:
so do you not say google? do you tell people "go to the internet's biggest search engine. you know, the one with that ridiculous name?" do you giggle/smirk/sneer every time you say google? Do you talk everyday about how shitty a name google is?

Uhm, I call it google because that's what it is called and if I didn't call it that I'd look like a huge unknowledgeable douchebag. "Guys, why don't you visit that website. You know, the one spelled 'g-o-o-g-l-e.' yeah. I don't want to say it 'cause it's a crappy, hilarious name!"

No, I got used to it because you have to. Just because a name is shitty doesn't mean you go to some silly lengths to avoid saying it.

And no, I don't giggle and smirk everytime I say google. First of all, the connotation is closer to "googol", which is not a funny word. And secondly, I've got USED to the name. You don't harp on the same ol' jokes for twenty years.

The same as I'll get used to Wii. It's the shittiest name ever chosen for a console, but you will get used to it. It is, in the end, "just" a name.

borghe said:
which in the scheme of things means jack and shit.

Ah, now you're getting it. Yes, it does mean jack shit in the grand scheme of things. But it's still the shittiest name ever.

G4life98

borghe said:
I'm assuming you mean the vocal minority still bitching about a name 5 days later. I think most logical people agree XXXBox is worse than Wii, and yet people didn't bitch NEARLY this much when it was announced....

oh yeah, maybe because most people were expecting the system to bomb right out of the gate :p

most logical people agree that wii and xbox are both bad (or in xbox's cases more unimaginative than anything else) names for entirely different reasons.

nobody is saying saying the system cant be a success in spite of its name...but its just one of those things that will make life for nintendo very difficult in some markets.

and one would imagine that nintendo would try and make it easier for themselves in markets where they already have trouble , but i guess they have other ideas. :lol

perception is everything and a name like "wii" doesnt help shift the perception problem nintendo already has in the console market.

xaosslug

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol @ Diehard Nintendo fans attempting to convince posters in this thread and themselves that if one dislikes the name it renders one "hater total" who needs to "get over it."

bitch, please

borghe

Amir0x said:
Ok it's becomming clearer you don't know what you're talking about.

This is not about Wii becoming a success or not. I think the name is shitty and the worst name ever chosen for a console - and it is - but I still think it's going to be a success.

If you thought PlayStation was a bad name, that's fine. It's successful DESPITE the name, not because WOW SUDDENLY PLAYSTATION IS A GOOD NAME. Same for Xbox.

Uhm, I call it google because that's what it is called and if I didn't call it that I'd look like a huge unknowledgeable douchebag. "Guys, why don't you visit that website. You know, the one spelled "g-o-o-g-l-e." yeah. I don't want to say it 'cause it's a crappy name!"

No, I got used to it because you have to. Just because a name is shitty doesn't mean you go to some silly lengths to avoid saying it. And no, I don't giggle and smirk everytime I say google. First of all, the connotation is closer to "googol", which is not a funny word. And secondly, I've got USED to the name. You don't harp on the same ol' jokes for twenty years. The same as I'll get used to Wii. It's the shittiest name ever chosen for a console, but you will get used to it. It is, in the end, "just" a name.

which in the scheme of things means jack and shit

really, if you aren't making reference to anything at all other than you hate the name, you are wasting your time. much in the same way people lost interest over whether OJ and Michael were guilty or not, people are losing interest in this even faster. you can keep holding the line on how shitty the name is, but to what effect?

Amir0x

Banned
borghe said:
really, if you aren't making reference to anything at all other than you hate the name, you are wasting your time. much in the same way people lost interest over whether OJ and Michael were guilty or not, people are losing interest in this even faster. you can keep holding the line on how shitty the name is, but to what effect?

Uh, yah, this is a thread about the name. There's not much to discuss except whether you like it or hate it, and whether you think it has marketing potential or not.

So as long as this is that sort of thread, and people like you make such comments like "If the product is good, the name will suddenly become not shitty!"

borghe

Amir0x said:
Uh, yah, this is a thread about the name. There's not much to discuss except whether you like it or hate it, and whether you think it has marketing potential or not.

So as long as this is that sort of thread, and people like you make such comments like "If the product is good, the name will suddenly become not shitty!"
but nowhere did I say that. I said the name is meaningless until given meaning through the release of the console. Yes, people could very well say "Wii rocks." At that point the name and the console are one and the same.

Morbo

Amir0x said:

And the same will occur for Wii. Wii will be a great system, but the name will always be the worst console name ever conceived.

uh, no. This is ridiculous even for your typical sarcastic remarks. First of all, "PlayStation" is not a shitty or good name. It's neutral. It's self-explanatory, it doesn't immediately suggest anything negative, and it's not comprised entirely of made up fucking words.

Xbox is a shitty name, but it didn't stop being shitty because it was successful. I think the name is still shitty. Who said that now that we know Xbox is good, that the name stopped being shitty?

You will get USED to "Wii", the same as you got used to "360" or got used to "PlayStation". But shitty names ALWAYS remain shitty.

If someone tells you to look something up on Google do you think: "Yes that should provide the information I require." or: "Ugh, with a name like Google, I think not."?

Yes Wii may well be the worst product name in recent memory, but if a product/service delivers what you want from it, the name fades into the background.

Amir0x

Banned
borghe said:
but nowhere did I say that. I said the name is meaningless until given meaning through the release of the console. Yes, people could very well say "Wii rocks." At that point the name and the console are one and the same.

I know you didn't, Trurl did.

Morbo said:
If someone tells you to look something up on Google do you think: "Yes that should provide the information I require." or: "Ugh, with a name like Google, I think not."?

Yes Wii may well be the worst product name in recent memory, but if a product/service delivers what you want from it, the name fades into the background.

did you read my entire post, 'cause i'm pretty sure it has the appropriate response to this statement. The product is gonna deliver. And yes, the name means jack shit in the long run. I'm just trying to explain the difference between when we inevitably get 'used' to the name Wii, and how that doesn't change that it's a bad name. No matter how shitty, unless the name is 'Fuckmyinmymouth', you'll always get used to it... it will always fade to the background

xaosslug

borghe said:

But "Google" and Yahoo" have nothing to do with me personally, so regardless of whether or not I use them the name doesn't effect me. Once I buy Wii it becomes my Wii and therefore is somewhat representative of me, Nintendo's lame attempt at "cool" that just comes off as super kiddie to me. I get a "KIDDIE!!!" vibe from Wii. :p

I can see from your posts that you're hoping that with this halfass attempt at "originality" Nintendo will confuse/convince masses of people to buy Wii into it's own brand and in-turn become Wii... I'm pretty skeptical.

Wii is a bad name, you should get used to that if you plan on defending it for the coming generation. :D

borghe

xaosslug said:
But "Google" and Yahoo" have nothing to do with me personally, so regardless of whether or not I use them the name doesn't effect me. Once I buy Wii it becomes my Wii and therefore is somewhat representative of me, Nintendo's lame attempt at "cool" that just comes off as super kiddie to me. I get a "KIDDIE!!!" vibe from Wii. :p
you are REALLY reaching with this. to many people google has a bigger impact in their lives than a video game console, myself included.

I can see from your posts that you're hoping that with this halfass attempt at "originality" Nintendo will confuse/convince masses of people to buy Wii into it's own brand and in-turn become Wii... I'm pretty skeptical.
here is where you're wrong. I have no such hope. The only benefit of Wii that I've ever touted is that it is inherently meaningless. It provides endless marketing opportunities because of that, and looks pretty cool the way they have it typeset.

Wii is a bad name, you should get used to that if you plan on arguing with me over it for the coming generation. :D
fixed.who the fuck would have to defend a name, or even worse "attack" a name? When the system comes out it will be all about the system. The name at that point won't be anything but branding. The only place the "badness" of the name will matter is on internet message boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom