• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Symphony II announced, features music from FF5, FF8, FF9 and FF13

Jucksalbe

Banned
From Eurogamer:

SUqXZLi.jpg

Upcoming performances:

• April 1, 2016 in Tampere, Finland (tickets)
  • June 9, 2016 in Stockholm, Sweden (tickets)

Additionally, there will be new performances of the first Final Symphony. Currently confirmed:

• May 7, 2016 in Amsterdam, Netherlands (tickets)
  • October 21, 2016 in Auckland, New Zealand (tickets)

Past performances:

• August 29, 2015 in Bonn, Germany
  • September 12, 2015 in London, UK
  • September 27, 2015 in Osaka, Japan
  • October 4, 2015 in Yokohama, Japan

Zhao_Yun

Meh, I was a bit too slow with my thread.
Anyway, I am really looking forward to the new arrangements, especially for V and IX since both of them have been rather negelected in the past. Unfortunately I don't think I can attend the concert in London but I hope they will have a concert in Germany again as well!

FF13
lol

What's so funny about that? XIII had an amazing OST.

Hasney

Damn, been looking forward to going to one, but not with that selection.

Even just XIV would have made me bite. IX tempts me, but not hugely.

Not that I'd ever be able to see something like this live, but I'll sure as hell grab the album once it's out. That last one was amazing. Best FF7 arrangements I've ever heard.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Meh, I was a bit too slow with my thread.
Anyway, I am really looking forward to the new arrangements, especially for V and IX since both of them have been rather negelected in the past. Unfortunately I don't think I can attend the concert in London but I hope they will have a concert in Germany again as well!

Haha, sorry. I like your thread better, though.

I'm sure it'll come to Germany again at some point. Make it Hamburg this time, so I don't have to travel so far.

Burbeting

Banned
If one thing FF13 did right, it was the OST. Outside of few stinkers it was very nice overall. FF9 is my favorite FF-OST though, so going to listen to this should by a no-brainer...

Except for the fact that I don't live in UK ;__;. Darn it.

Agreed. XIII-2 and LR have some great soundtracks too!

Quite frankly, I think the XIII trilogy is perhaps one of the series greatest achievements in music. Not only because it's fantastic music, but the way many of the themes change across the trilogy. It feels more like 3 parts of a whole than the rest of the trilogy does, IMO.

ZeroX03

Banned
5, 8 and 9? Great choices. Would love to see this. Meeting with Nobuo Uematsu too?
I could go without Masashi Hamauzu and FF13's soundtrack but it's not a big deal

sasliquid

I went to the Zela one last year which was pretty great. Love FF5+9s soundtracks (as well as find your way from 8), will try to get tickets.

Zhao_Yun

Haha, sorry. I like your thread better, though.

I'm sure it'll come to Germany again at some point. Make it Hamburg this time, so I don't have to travel so far.

Well, you could add some of it to the OP :p

Yeah, it would be strange if there wasn't a German concert looking at their past productions.

was final symphony I ever released on disc or digitally? I know you can find bootlegs but yeah.

Yes, it was released digitally a few weeks ago. https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/final-symphony-music-from/id965183547
Physical CD is supposed to release later this year.

Rootbeer

Banned
Well, you could add some of it to the OP :p

Yeah, it would be strange if there wasn't a German concert looking at their past productions.

Yes, it was released digitally a few weeks ago. https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/final-symphony-music-from/id965183547
Physical CD is supposed to release later this year.

Coooool

HEY it's on Spotify too! Steam it in 320kbps if you're a member :3

I was listening to the crappy quality youtube videos for weeks :p

I look forward to this new concert.

Styles

"Determination" was the peak of XIII's OST. I still can't get over masterful the main motifs were woven together into one single epic piece at the end of the game. Chills.

kamakazi5

I was just telling my wife if they announced a Final Fantasy concert I would have to go. I live in the US but I do get really cheap flights. Hmmm, I may do this in case I don't get another chance. Hopefully they don't sell out in seconds.

Edit: I forgot Distant Worlds was still around. Are they pretty renowned?

I was just telling my wife if they announced a Final Fantasy concert I would have to go. I live in the US but I do get really cheap flights. Hmmm, I may do this in case I don't get another chance. Hopefully they don't sell out in seconds.

Distant Worlds is the mainline tour, whereas the rest are sidestories :p.

Zhao_Yun

Distant Worlds is a good concert series with pretty high production values and is definitely recommended. The main difference between the Distant Worlds concerts and the European Symphonic concert productions is that DW mainly uses "simple" arrangements of single tracks which are easily recognizable while concerts like Final Symphony try to arrange the music in a more classical way by using many themes of the soundtrack to create a large piece of work like a symphony or a concerto for piano and orchestra.
While the latter arguably has a greater artistic value, both approaches have their own merits and if you have the opportunity to visit a DW concert in the US I am sure that you will enjoy it!

Finally, I was getting tired of the heavy focus on VII and X. (Yes, I know they've done other games too, but it feels like those two in particular have received the most love.)

I'm especially looking forward to IX.

while concerts like Final Symphony try to arrange the music in a more classical way by using many themes of the soundtrack to create a large piece of work like a symphony or a concerto for piano and orchestra.

Wow sounds like it will be grander than DW!

Finally, I was getting tired of the heavy focus on VII and X.

Oh man I haven't heard as much from those as I'd have liked. DW was FFIX focused in November. Which is fine but I haven't played it yet lol.

Tu101uk

A concert with arrangements of both my favourite FF games (IX and V) and my favourite FF OST (VIII)? It's as if they made this concert just for me.

Will be waiting patiently tomorrow morning for the booking page to update.

Thoraxes

Stick that Hamauzu arranged XIII Suite directly into my VEINS! Much like the last album, his outing will clearly be the most outstanding work in this collection for sure.
FF13
lol

This post is bad.
lol

Smaller scale than DW, but the quality of the arrangements are outstanding. They go way beyond just plunking the notes into the orchestra. They really orchestrate the music for the ensemble and it shows.

Oh man I haven't heard as much from those as I'd have liked. DW was FFIX focused in November. Which is fine but I haven't played it yet lol.

Oh I love those too, but they tend to cover the same songs every damn time. Would like to hear some of the less popular tracks in the future.

kamakazi5

Awesome, got tickets for the concert and pre-concert talk. I didn't think it was going to happen since the site is getting killed but I finally got through. I'm super excited as I've never been to the UK or a concert like this before.

Got mine. 2nd row of the balcony. I got worried at first, thought the cheap tickets had sold out lol. Am confused though. At Royal Albert Hall the Balcony seats were the more expensive ones haha, at Barbican it's the opposite.

It'll sound just as good either way right? I was in the balcony at Royal Albert Hall and it was fine.

I considered getting the Uematsu one as well but the website says the ticketing system isn't working.

Got mine. 2nd row of the balcony. I got worried at first, thought the cheap tickets had sold out lol. Am confused though. At Royal Albert Hall the Balcony seats were the more expensive ones haha, at Barbican it's the opposite.

It'll sound just as good either way right? I was in the balcony at Royal Albert Hall and it was fine.

I considered getting the Uematsu one as well but the website says the ticketing system isn't working.

Acoustics in the Babrican are pretty good, it'll sound fine. The big difference is in the RAH the acoustics are more or less a little better (IMO) up in the Balcony and you have a wide stage view, which is fine with the screens. At the Babrican there won't be any screens; it's a much more traditional, strait-laced orchestral concert, so no game video or excited talking between segments from the host... they just start and go, uninterrupted. Without screens being further away you're getting amazing sound but perhaps can see less, basically.

Top Bottom