• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally saw my first UFO(s)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP, that's ridiculous.

Now please enjoy these throw pillows My wife made for your family.

invasion-of-the-body-snatchers-1956-pods-600x300.jpg

You are living in a simulation.
something happened to me last Thursday when I was driving home. I had a couple of miles to go - I looked up and saw a glowing orange object in the sky, to the east! It was moving very irregularly... suddenly there was intense light all around me - and when I came to, I was home. What do you think happened to me?
I need scissors! 61!

I saw 3-4 jets chasing down a UFO when I was a kid. It was straight out of Independence Day. The truth is out there, and ya'll don't even know.

OP, not sure what you expected, but I wouldn't try to get any kind of sense from this crowd.

Honest skepticism is understandable, because if you haven't seen it yourself then it's hard to believe someone else. The only thing most people will believe is the evidence of their own eyes.

YOU know what you saw, what it was and more importantly what it wasn't. That will probably have to do.

Actually he doesn't know what it was. Hence the U in UFO.

jchap

Has advanced cloaking technology that leaves 6 unnatural colored lights in a geometric pattern.

NZerker12

I need scissors! 61!

You are living in a simulation.
something happened to me last Thursday when I was driving home. I had a couple of miles to go - I looked up and saw a glowing orange object in the sky, to the east! It was moving very irregularly... suddenly there was intense light all around me - and when I came to, I was home. What do you think happened to me?

Raiden turn the game console off right now

sono

dim lights in the sky
and you drew a picture which then you posted here.

Did you wonder why every ufo sighting is faint hard to see dots in the sky.

People imagination fills in the lack of information.

I can draw pictures too.

akira28

dim lights in the sky
and you drew a picture which then you posted here.

Did you wonder why every ufo sighting is faint hard to see dots in the sky.

People imagination fills in the lack of information.

I can draw pictures too.

like hell you can. draw one right now.

I'm sure most of us have seen at least one UFO in our lifetimes. I know I've seen a few. I never really had a reaction towards it, though, since I never had evidence (or the conviction) with which to assume it wasn't something uninteresting. It could have been a hotdog in orbit for all I knew.

Alucrid

Banned
Anyway, here's the deal. I was at a friend's house in Gautier, MS playing DDR yesterday on 5/8/16. We all left out to go to Walmart around 10pm Got back to his place at 11pm. My daughter was with me. As we got out the car, my daughter commented on how bright a couple stars were. I told her I can find a very bright one in the constellation called Orion's Belt (the star Betelgeuse). I searched up above for the constellation and after I said Orion's Belt, my friend remarked how anytime he hears the name Orion's Belt, he thinks of the film Men in Black.

10 PM on 5/8/16 hasn't happened yet in Gautier, MS.

I think you were abducted and sent back in time.

Razorback

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Absolutely zero point of starting a topic about ufos with folks on GAF and expecting a serious discussion OP.

Why?
You gave several reasonable explanations but dismiss them for no reason whatsoever. Instead you stick with the one that has no ground to stand on.

It's interesting how one can have delusions, loss of critical thinking etc. only in one part of their understanding of the world and daily life. You can see that pattern in all kinds of people even though you would usually only associate it with religious fundamentalists.
I wonder if that's part of how our brain is designed to deal with the input or if it's some sort of defect. Kinda off-topic but does someone know a nice reading on this? Preferably from a neurological point of view and not psychological.

Except those are possible explanations. They aren't definite, and there is no reason to assign cause when cause isn't known.

Regardless, it is a UFO, or better a UAP, by definition. It is an unidentified aerial phenomenon, nothing more, nothing less.

OP, why don't you report the sighting into a database like the National UFO Reporting Center? That can be a big help in finding out if the sighting has a conventional explanation or is actually unexplained.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
To be fair, it'a also impossible to have a "serious" discussion about UFOs.

I've had many serious discussion about UFOs with folks over the years. You just can't do it here.
A person spends serious time writing out an OP and the very next post is some stupid drive by comment followed by folks with stupid pics or gifs and the whole thing falls though the drain.
Every single time. It's not worth discussing this subject on GAF.

To be fair, it'a also impossible to have a "serious" discussion about UFOs.

There is a ton of very serious discussion and debate if you have any knowledge of the community. And a great range of thoughts and theories.

When you guys dismiss (and mock and ridicule) it out of hand like regularly happens in these topics, of course it isn't "serious" discussion. You all are the ones preventing serious discussion with your own brand of confirmation bias. The subject itself isn't doing anything.

I've had many serious discussion about UFOs with folks over the years. You just can't do it here.
A person spends serious time writing out an OP and the very next post is some stupid drive by comment followed by folks with stupid pics or gifs and the whole thing falls though the drain.

I mean what is there to discuss. Guy sees some lights, doesn't know what they are. Where does a serious discussion go from there? 'It was probably a drone(s)' is the most serious response you could give, and even that doesn't lead to a discussion.

Should we humour him by going 'Maybe it was aliens, even though it's probably the least likely outcome and we've absolutely no reason to think it was. What do you think they wanted?'.

Kurdel

Banned

People being serious about a subject doesn't make for a serious discussion.

Every UFO discussion devolves into conspiracy theories, pseudo science and bizzar anti-nuclear tangents.

Few years ago in Colorado. I thought I was crazy seeing a bright light in the middle.of the day vanish quickly and then come back to the same area within minutes.

When other people told me they seen it too from different locations than where I was, it freaked me out more.

I was in a building facing west toward the mountains (Lakewood)
The other person was driving on the highway nearby, passenger side witnessing it.

No one else in my building bothered to look as I told them to so none of my co-workers can say they believe me...

Every UFO discussion devolves into conspiracy theories, pseudo science and bizzar anti-nuclear tangents.
It sounds like how every GMO discussion eventually reduces down to one about Monsanto (and nothing substantive) every time without fail. It gets tiring.

I'll tell ya what. Aliens are my biggest fear, so if I saw one I'd shit myself.

With that said and done I still want to see one. Aliens might be my biggest fear, but they're by far the most interesting things to think about.

People being serious about a subject doesn't make for a serious discussion.

Because that is where the forum leads it. Because GAF is infested with the lightest, most popular memes about UFOs - those of the X-Files brand.

I mean, I love the X-Files as entertainment, but aliens coming here and performing ridiculously primitive experiments on us? Of course it's absurd, but there is more thought beyond that.

Take cattle mutilations as an example - we have evidence of certain mutilated cattle being dropped from at least 50 ft in the air (impact site, broken ribs). Certainly predator action happens, but what conventional predator picks up a half-ton bull and drops it 50 ft? Could it the government monitoring the beef supply for BSE or other contaminants? Possibly. Could it be something stranger, something nonphysical? Possibly.

Admittedly, I'm not a big ETH guy anymore. I loved it as a kid, but it doesn't add up.

Kurdel

Banned
Because that is where the forum leads it.

Could it the government monitoring the beef supply for BSE or other contaminants? Possibly. Could it be something stranger, something nonphysical? Possibly

Funny how your own post contradicts your opening line.

Stuff like cattle mutilation is akin to anomaly hunting, and by associating it to UFOs you are already making assumptions.

Occam's razor never seems to be a thing in these UFO threads.

Keihart

I really love paranormal stuff too , sadly i've never seen an UFO, but it's hard to look at the sky for stars with the light polution in cities.

There are so many testimonies and people going on record about aliens and stuff that even if there is not definitive proof of it, it seems like it's either a very elaborated missinformation campaing, there are aliens on earth or both.

USA does spend a whole lot of cash on black projects so secret aircraft wouldn't be that strange either, i mean, they even managed to spy the internet throug international links (according to snowden) and almost nobody cared.

Funny how your own post contradicts your opening line.

Stuff like cattle mutilation is akin to anomaly hunting, and by associating it to UFOs you are already making assumptions.

Occam's razor never seems to be a thing in these UFO threads.

Except that they are associated to some degree with UFOs, in the most general sense of "UFO". Look at Christopher O'Brien's work on the subject.

Also what does Occam's Razor say about cattle being dropped from 50 ft to a dull splat? Or other cases where the mutilation occurred very rapidly? Hell, what does Occam's Razor really say at all when at best you guess P(A|B|C)<P(A|D)? No one knows the probability behind these events.

I'm not for monolithic explanations.

Kurdel

Banned
Except that they are associated to some degree with UFOs, in the most general sense of "UFO". Look at Christopher O'Brien's work on the subject.

Why not dragons or demons?

Because people want it to be UFOs, because that is something that sounds a bit more plausible in the 20th century. Never mind with cloning and drones in the 21st century, we can barely imagine a FTL capable civilization sending biological entities and testing one livestock on at a time.

Why not dragons or demons?

Because people want it to be UFOs, because that is something that sounds a bit more plausible in the 20th century. Never mind with cloning and drones in the 21st century, we can barely imagine a FTL capable civilization sending biological entities and testing one livestock on at a time.

Why not dragons or demons? Because that is not what people report, at least not generally (Skinwalker Ranch had it's share of poltergeist-like activity)?

The funny thing about skeptics is that they never actually look at the investigations, instead just using Occam's Magic Handwave to dismiss anything they don't like while keeping the things they do.

And I never said it was aliens. That's your confirmation bias.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom