• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally saw my first UFO(s)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get this. 'Ahhh, something I can't immediately explain. My life has been changed forever for I am no longer all knowing. '
I think it was his first encounter with something that he saw that he couldnt explain and it frightened him. So he started researching it and stuff and it sort of turned him into a conspiracy nut.

One of those you had to be there kind of things. It scared the shit out of me too but I just kinda brushed it off as something I couldnt explain and left it at that. Didnt dwell on in too much although it was a pretty amazing experience. Every time we brought it up to people they looked at us like we were crazy so I just stopped brining it up. Not him though.

Keihart

I'll never understand people wanting paranormal stuff to not be real and mock others that ask for explanations. I mean, i haven't ever seen evidence to convince me of anything paranormal to be real, but wouldn't it be cool that it was?

Why the urge to shut down and joke about testimonies or posible evidence of unexplained events? Is not like people are hunting witches.

I mean, imagine how cool would it be if someone proves that the afterworld is real or some mystical animal or whatever. New species are found almost everyday, unknown stuff is cool.

care to elaborate?

We were on a hike in the rockies one night because there was a meteor shower and the same night the northern lights were also out. So we wanted to hike up to a nice vantage point to watch it. On our way up he stopped me and pointed and said "what is that?" There was a pulsing blue light moving up and down the mountain range in front of us slowly.

At first I just said it was probably a snow groomer on the mountain and he was like "dude its the middle of the summer, why would there be a grooming machine on the mountain?" I was like "i dunno". Then we watched it for a minute and the light eminating from it was bright enough to illuminate the trees surrounding it. Then I was like "looks like a helicopter" and just as I said that the light moved far over to another mountain beside it.

At that point he actually grabbed my arm and was like "dude! What the fuck is that!!?" I actually got goosebumps and started to get nervous because I knew it wasnt a helicopter bexause of how fast it was moving and the patterns it was making. Then the thing darted over the tops of the mountains and we both were like "what the fuck! Holy shit! What the fuck!"

Im no aviation expert but I know that it wasnt a drone or helicopter because of the distance it covered so quickly and the speed in which it took off. It seemed impossible. I have goosebumps right now thinking about it. It was fucked. I think of it as a UFO because I cant explain what I saw but I dont think it was aliens either. I have no idea what it was.

Also, the meteor shower mixed with the northern lights with all the snowcapped mountain turning green from the lights was an incredible thing to see. The milky way was bright and the meteor shower was intense. Definitely my coolest nature experience of my life.

Moosichu

I'll never understand people wanting paranormal stuff to not be real and mock others that ask for explanations. I mean, i haven't ever seen evidence to convince me of anything paranormal to be real, but wouldn't it be cool that it was?

Why the urge to shut down and joke about testimonies or posible evidence of unexplained events? Is not like people are hunting witches.

I mean, imagine how cool would it be if someone proves that the afterworld is real or some mystical animal or whatever. New species are found almost everyday, unknown stuff is cool.

It would be cool. But in 99.99999999% of cases it's the human brain forming patterns that aren't there. Something being cool doesn't make it real, it being real does.

There's also this :

settled.png

It would be cool. But in 99.99999999% of cases it's the human brain forming patterns that aren't there. Something being cool doesn't make it real, it being real does.

There's also this :

settled.png
That graph would probably look the opposite way if it was about the % of the population that spent time looking in the sky and not down at their phones though lol

Razorback

There's this thing called the truth. And we found out that there is only one way to make progress towards it, the scientific method.

Kurdel

Banned
That graph would probably look the opposite way if it was about the % of the population that spent time looking in the sky and not down at their phones though lol

"If only people were more attentive, we would have our proof by now! Stupid people!"

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

you mean like astronomers and astrophysicists, whether amateur or professional pilots, traffic control etc.

jstripes

Banned
There's also this :

settled.png

Ghosts? My wife and her sister see "orbs" in a photo, and are convinced that something supernatural is going on.

("Orbs" are in fact just floating pieces of dust, outside of the focus range, reflecting the camera's flash.)

Anteater

my brother told me he saw one when he was on a flight, it was disc shaped, it was going straight and made an awkward sharp turn

it was underneath their flight and above the ocean

Why not dragons or demons?

Because people want it to be UFOs, because that is something that sounds a bit more plausible in the 20th century. Never mind with cloning and drones in the 21st century, we can barely imagine a FTL capable civilization sending biological entities and testing one livestock on at a time.

This is the thing that always gets me. Aliens do a bunch of bizarre shit that makes no sense if they were actually as advanced as they would need to be to travel to earth. Yet they constantly reveal themselves to some people, and need to investigate our planet by...dropping cows or leaving signs in crops.

RM8

You know, that's the thing. We wanting it to be true (because it'd be pretty cool) doesn't mean it's suddenly a likely scenario. We still should look for proper evidence before entertaining cool ideas just because they're cool.

This is the thing that always gets me. Aliens do a bunch of bizarre shit that makes no sense if they were actually as advanced as they would need to be to travel to earth. Yet they constantly reveal themselves to some people, and need to investigate our planet by...dropping cows or leaving signs in crops.

Hence why I said I don't think this is aliens. Or why many people also don't think it is aliens.

That's just the most popular meme in our culture.

I've had many serious discussion about UFOs with folks over the years. You just can't do it here.
A person spends serious time writing out an OP and the very next post is some stupid drive by comment followed by folks with stupid pics or gifs and the whole thing falls though the drain.
Every single time. It's not worth discussing this subject on GAF.
Because his idea is about seeing a UFO, that is what he is saying. He believes he really saw one and that is what he wants to talk about

the obvious and huge problem is he more than likely, like 99.9 percent did not see a UFO so what are we suppose to say to him? He can talk about UFO's with people and discuss the idea of if they are real and where they could come from etc (and that is what you are talking about) but that is not what this thread is about. How can we have a serious conversation about his actual topic? Not saying he shouldn't talk about it, or whatever .. simply saying it's very very unlikely he saw what he is saying he saw.

And for the sake of this topic "UFO" in this thread is talking about a craft not of this Earth.

Im no aviation expert but I know that it wasnt a drone or helicopter because of the distance it covered so quickly and the speed in which it took off. It seemed impossible. I have goosebumps right now thinking about it. It was fucked. I think of it as a UFO because I cant explain what I saw but I dont think it was aliens either. I have no idea what it was.

Well, I believe your story, but I like how you don't just conclude that this was some particular phenomenon (i.e. aliens) either. The idea that humans have cataloged every possible phenomenon in the world is both arrogant and ridiculous. The world is a far more interesting place when we realize that there is much left to be discovered in it. It's possible that what you saw is some completely naturally recurring thing which just hasn't yet been discovered, who knows?

Well, I believe your story, but I like how you don't just conclude that this was some particular phenomenon (i.e. aliens) either. The idea that humans have cataloged every possible phenomenon in the world is both arrogant and ridiculous. The world is a far more interesting place when we realize that there is much left to be discovered in it. It's possible that what you saw is some completely naturally recurring thing which just hasn't yet been discovered, who knows?
I'd be lying if I said I didnt, at least for a time, think it was aliens or some government black ops craft or something. But I agree that there is a lot we dont know about nature, just something like what I saw just seems so unlikely to be a natural occurence from my perspective because I know so little. If it were not for having a witness with me who saw the exact same thing, I would have thought I was going crazy.

I dont like even bringing it up TBH because of the backlash and judgement that comes with claiming to witness something like that.
But when others bring up their experiences, I dont mind sharing mine.

Because his idea is about seeing a UFO, that is what he is saying. He believes he really saw one and that is what he wants to talk about

the obvious and huge problem is he more than likely, like 99.9 percent did not see a UFO so what are we suppose to say to him? He can talk about UFO's with people and discuss the idea of if they are real and where they could come from etc (and that is what you are talking about) but that is not what this thread is about. How can we have a serious conversation about his actual topic? Not saying he shouldn't talk about it, or whatever .. simply saying it's very very unlikely he saw what he is saying he saw.

And for the sake of this topic "UFO" in this thread is talking about a craft not of this Earth.

Why? That just hobbles the discussion.

UFO means an unidentified flying object. Any other meaning is your own filter being put it. That is why I said OP should report the sighting - maybe others saw the same thing? Maybe that information will be useful in a future investigation?

I'd be lying if I said I didnt, at least for a time, think it was aliens or some government black ops craft or something. But I agree that there is a lot we dont know about nature, just something like what I saw just seems so unlikely to be a natural occurence from my perspective because I know so little. If it were not for having a witness with me who saw the exact same thing, I would have thought I was going crazy.

I believe lots of strange things. I doubt it was a ufo, but to me anyone who just hands down discounts it is kind of an idiot. There's a ton of stuff we don't understand about life, the universe, and everything. Like multiverses, alternate dimensions, what have you. We don't have everything figured out, in fact we certainly know less than about the truth than we know for certain about the truth.

But if aliens are coming down its kind of rude not to say hi. Jerks.

Hence why I said I don't think this is aliens. Or why many people also don't think it is aliens.

That's just the most popular meme in our culture.

What do you think it is? And what exact scenarios are we talking here?

I was referring mostly to people who genuinely believe in E.T life coming down to earth and communicating/leaving evidence the way they do.

Personally, I tend to wave off the many, many hearsay accounts and anecdotal stories, because like ghost stories, they tend to be said with incredible inaccuracy and are often blinded by our senses, or preconceived with what we want to see.

I believe lots of strange things. I doubt it was a ufo, but to me anyone who just hands down discounts it is kind of an idiot. There's a ton of stuff we don't understand about life, the universe, and everything. Like multiverses, alternate dimensions, what have you. We don't have everything figured out, in fact we certainly know less than about the truth than we know for certain about the truth.

But if aliens are coming down its kind of rude not to say hi. Jerks.
Sometimes I would wonder if that light had anything to do with the northern lights being out. They were really bright and intense. Like maybe it was some kind of strange rare phenomena that happens during an intense light show like ball lightning or something. The whole thing lasted only about a minute.

Keihart

There's this thing called the truth. And we found out that there is only one way to make progress towards it, the scientific method.

Yup ofcouse there is , and we don't usually find it sticking fingers in our ears and singing lalalala

I'm just triying to make the point that ridiculous things can be the truth also and dismissing everything unconventional just because its not the stablished "truth" is kinda short sighted.

I'm not saying there is or isn't paranormal stuff, but that is probably worth a second thought .

An unidentified flying object is just that. OP didn't know what it was. It is a UFO by definition. I've seen things in the sky that I've never been able to explain too. Doesn't mean I'm a lunatic who thinks the invasion is just around the corner, it just means I don't know what it was and it's something I'll never forget.
...But I'm also not gonna make a GAF thread about it.

edit: OP writes this giant OP and asks 'did anyone else ever see a UFO?' and instead of getting 'thats cool. yeah, I've seen lights in the sky before', they literally get "ayyy lmao" and "you're daughter SHOULD be scared." Ha. Jesus.

There's also this :

settled.png

That's an extremely unreliable figure. The number of people who have cameras that can take decent pictures of a blimp in the sky, much less focus on it is much much lower than that percentage.

You couldn't take a decent picture of a yoofoo with a smartphone unless it was right there in your face, in broad daylight, and very contrasty. And hopefully your smartphone isn't a potato.

Frankly you'd have a better shot (get it) with an old manual.

pringles

That's an extremely unreliable figure. The number of people who have cameras that can take decent pictures of a blimp in the sky, much less focus on it is much much lower than that percentage.
Yeah there are only countless millions of professional and amateur photographers taking pictures of the nightsky every single day around the globe.

Funny how the only ones that see UFOs are UFO-nuts who are "frozen" and unable to take photos of it. But, they are not so frozen they can't determine the exact height and velocity of the UFO and able to conclusively say it definitely wasn't something other than aliens.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
it's pretty interesting that people who already believe in UFOs always seem to be the people that see them

my dad had been talking for years about how he thinks aliens are visiting us, and in the last year alone he's seen two!

Yeah there are only countless millions of professional and amateur photographers taking pictures of the nightsky every single day around the globe.

Funny how the only ones that see UFOs are UFO-nuts who are "frozen" and unable to take photos of it. But, they are not so frozen they can't determine the exact height and velocity of the UFO and able to conclusively say it definitely wasn't something other than aliens.
Your statement doesnt change the fact the chart is an unreliable figure. And no, the only people who see UFOs are not UFO nuts. The people who write books about it are the ones who are UFO nuts. Also, astronauts and pilots and photographers ect are all people who claim to have seen a UFO.

DavidDesu

It does seem like it could be some flocking birds migrating or whatever... I mean we are very easily fooled into thinking one thing, especially at night and when it was so faint, when it could be something totally different. Then again if you're really sure it could be a real UFO incident then I am not one to say you're talking bollocks!

I have seen one very weird and to me completely unexplainable UFO in my lifetime. When I was maybe around 10 or 12 I was out in my back garden (in a town called Ayr in Scotland), in the middle of winter so when the sky was clearer than usual. This was just after the mid 90's.

My dad and I had bought an amateur telescope (you could just make out the colour of Jupiter and see it's moons lined up, and the Moon's craters looked incredible through it) and I was out by myself just taking in the night sky and marvelling at it, looking out for satellites which you could see far more often than you'd think. [EDIT: I wasn't looking through the telescope at the time of course, just in case anyone thought I was!]

I looked straight up and noticed a light, of the same size/brightness as a small star although I'm sure it was red or had a reddish tint to it. The thing about it that made me convinced this was something strange was that it was zig-zagging across the sky. And I mean like the way a seismometer graph prints out ... /\/\/\/\/\. It wasn't zig zagging a large distance, maybe if you raise your hand up above your head and make your thumb and first finger about 2cm apart, that is about the range of the zig-zag. It was moving from SE to NW (Had to go back and look at my old house on Google Maps to get the direction). So this thing did that, very smoothly and precisely, while making it's way across the night sky directly above me at about the same pace a satellite does. I just stared at it for about 10 seconds as it did that, I was pretty amazed, then I ran in to tell my dad and rest of my family but by the time we went back out of course the light had gone.

It's absolutely stuck in my mind and I know I saw this very strange thing. There's no plane or helicopter that could have moved like that. The light did look like it was up high, like a high altitude plane or indeed like a satellite, it didn't seem like it was anything closer than that. Literally the only thing I could imagine could have looked like that is some kind of firefly flying in a zig-zag like that maybe 50 metres above me or something, but it seems very unlikely, and fireflies aren't very common and not in winter in Scotland, lol (but I'm just assuming that).

So yeah, I do believe. Also, on my same street there was an actual report of a UFO hovering over a house, witnessed by an old housewife. It was about 20 doors down the road and made it into the local newspaper and I'm sure this happened within a year or two of my back garden sighting. The person was someone who seemed like a nice well to do wee lady, not some kind of weirdo who would make this shit up or be on drugs, lol, so it felt kind of cool to see someone you would legitimately believe about this sort of thing making the claim, someone who must have seen something strange, whatever it was.

Some of the mass sightings that have been properly recorded (one in Brazil I remember seeing) seem really convincing that something weird's going on that we cannot explain and it's amazing how little press these things have gotten and how we're all happy to not really question it.

Well millions around the globe isn't nearly 100% of the USA! It's just a terrible way to point that out. General people don't have the proper cameras for this.

One time i could have used one of those fancy Sonys that can make nighttime look like daytime because the last time i saw something like this was at like 1am.

gruenel

it's pretty interesting that people who already believe in UFOs always seem to be the people that see them

my dad had been talking for years about how he thinks aliens are visiting us, and in the last year alone he's seen two!

This.

The fact OP writes he "finally" saw an UFO should tell you something.

pringles

Your statement doesnt change the fact the chart is an unreliable figure. And no, the only people who see UFOs are not UFO nuts. The people who write books about it are the ones who are UFO nuts. Also, astronauts and pilots and photographers ect are all people who claim to have seen a UFO.
It's a graph meant to be funny and prove a point. Billions of cameras all around the world, not a single photo/video of a ghost/UFO that has any merit.

I like this graph too:

ovE8LpI.jpg

Some of the mass sightings that have been properly recorded (one in Brazil I remember seeing) seem really convincing that something weird's going on that we cannot explain and it's amazing how little press these things have gotten and how we're all happy to not really question it.
Because they're fake.

Well millions around the globe isn't nearly 100% of the USA! It's just a terrible way to point that out. General people don't have the proper cameras for this.

One time i could have used one of those fancy Sonys that can make nighttime look like daytime because the last time i saw something like this was at like 1am.
OP could have taken a blurry photo. He could at least have attempted it. But he was 'frozen'.

Statistically, this is bound to happen.

_88097997_coastguard_whale.jpg
Lol. Im just making the point that people actively looking for something will be more likely to see what they are looking for over the average person just going about their daily business. Especially when its a rare thing to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom