• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finding Resident Evil 2 (Dreamcast)

From what I remember the N64 version had some exclusive modes that have not been replicated in any other release of Resident Evil 2. I heard for the longest time those bonus modes (whatever they were) made it the best version of the game.

I'm sure the Dreamcast version looks nicer, but...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
resi 2 dc + vga = living in the future, but today.
What? RE2 is terrible on a progressive display due to the low resolution backgrounds. Higher resolution models on top of low resolution backgrounds is not an attractive mix.

It looks best running in RGB on an interlaced monitor.

def sim

From what I remember the N64 version had some exclusive modes that have not been replicated in any other release of Resident Evil 2. I heard for the longest time those bonus modes (whatever they were) made it the best version of the game.

I'm sure the Dreamcast version looks nicer, but...

I can't recall what those are, I just remember the item randomization and blood color option. I'd rather have higher resolution textures and framerate if that's the case.

The N64 version let you set the control scheme so that you push left and the character moves left, etc.

WHY DIDN'T THEY DO THIS WITH EVERY SINGLE RESIDENT EVIL GAME IT WORKED FINE.

because as soon as the camera angle switches perspectives, you need to press the controller in a different direction, which can lead you to skipping back and forth between two different scenes. it's annoying. better to just adjust to the tank controls over the course of 5 minutes.

having the controls mapped to the perspective of your character is the best way to do things in games with static camera angles (unless the developers plan their camera angles around avoiding the aforementioned problems)

Chinner

Banned
What? RE2 is terrible on a progressive display due to the low resolution backgrounds. Higher resolution models on top of low resolution backgrounds is not an attractive mix.

It looks best running in RGB on an interlaced monitor.

okay whatever you say bro. the pixels in the vga are twice as prominent with the use of natively resoluted resolution backgrouinds blah blah blah. it looks good sorry :(

also its 60fps.

IIRC the N64 version had shitty audio. I cut my teeth on it but it has been some years since I played it. This is first I've heard of it being the best version. I certainly would pick PSX over the N64 version. And as far as extras go, battle mode > item randomization and blood color(pretty sure those are the only extras on the 64). Unfortunately I don't own the DC version, but unless the visual difference is that big, I'd opt for the GC version, which is my go-to now. It's really preference based, but I think the GC controller is basically built for RE, while the DC controller isn't much to write home about, ever.

EDIT: Forgot about the framerate. I'm generally picky about framerate, or at least appreciative, but I think classic RE really isn't a series that would've benefited much. It certainly wouldn't hurt, though.

giggas

N64 version is the real deal. It is automatically the best version of RE2 as it offers the best control option. Not having to use tank control in a classic RE game like this is just a god send. And how they managed to put this game into an N64 cart is also just brilliant.

Buy the N64 one for the technical marvel it is, stay for the version of RE2 that plays the best.

K' Dash

Don't make me laugh. The Dreamcast version was certainly the best or right up there.

from wikipedia:

Wikipedia said:
The Nintendo 64 version of Resident Evil 2 differs most from the other releases. Over the course of twelve months and with a budget of $1 million,[60] Resident Evil 2 was ported to the console by a staff of about 20 employees from Capcom Production Studio 3, Angel Studios and Factor 5.[1][61] This version offers features that were not included on any other system, such as alternate costumes, the ability to adjust the degree of violence and to change the blood color, a randomizer to place items differently during each playthrough, and a more responsive first-person control scheme.[11][61][62] Additionally, the port features 16 new in-game documents known as the "Ex Files",[11][62] written by Tetsuro Oyama.[63] Hidden throughout the four scenarios, they reveal new information about the series' lore and connect the story of Resident Evil 2 to those of the other installments.[11][62] The Nintendo 64 version adjusts its display resolution depending on the number of polygonal models currently on screen, and supports the console's Expansion Pak accessory for a maximum resolution of 640×480 during gameplay.[64][65] Other visual enhancements include smoother character animations and sharper, perspective-corrected textures for the 3D models.[64] The music of the Nintendo 64 version utilizes Dolby Surround, and was converted by Chris Hülsbeck, Rudolf Stember and Thomas Engel.[61] The team reworked the sound set from the ground up to provide each instrument with a higher sample rate than on the PlayStation, thus resulting in higher-quality music.[66] Some features from the other enhanced ports based on the Dual Shock Ver. do not appear in the Nintendo 64 version, such as the "Extreme Battle" minigame.[67]

dark10x

okay whatever you say bro. the pixels in the vga are twice as prominent with the use of natively resoluted resolution backgrouinds blah blah blah. it looks good sorry :(

also its 60fps.
It doesn't look good, though, but whatever.

The backgrounds were all made for the original PlayStation and look terrible with a sharper
image. This same problem plagued the PC versions of games like FFVII and VIII.

You can see this issue here:

Resident+Evil+21.jpg

Chinner

Banned
looked better than that screenshot, and looked fine to me when i played it last year. sorry if that displeases you bro.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The N64 version let you set the control scheme so that you push left and the character moves left, etc.

WHY DIDN'T THEY DO THIS WITH EVERY SINGLE RESIDENT EVIL GAME IT WORKED FINE.

I think REmake had that option, and it turned the game from "unplayable" to "actually sort of fine" for me.

because as soon as the camera angle switches perspectives, you need to press the controller in a different direction, which can lead you to skipping back and forth between two different scenes. it's annoying. better to just adjust to the tank controls over the course of 5 minutes.

having the controls mapped to the perspective of your character is the best way to do things in games with static camera angles (unless the developers plan their camera angles around avoiding the aforementioned problems)

No, at least in REmake your character would keep walking in whatever direction it was on the last camera angle until you let the stick go. So you hold left and the character walks left down the hall, camera angle shift, as long as you're still holding the stick he/she's still walking down the hall, even if the direction is now "north" or something. Worked pretty well.

giggas

I think REmake had that option, and it turned the game from "unplayable" to "actually sort of fine" for me.

REmake had an option where if you held down the trigger your character would walk straight, and you steered with the stick. It wasn't as nice as the option in RE2 N64, but it still made it much more enjoyable, and omitting that option killed RE Zero for me.

I only played the GC version, what was wrong with the N64 version? Hi-res, all that extra stuff, randomization, sounds like a good deal.

I love the N64 version because of the 1st person controls, which made the game way easier to play. I hate how they never brought that back in other games. Also, the hi-res and better music was a plus. The only downside was the compressed FMV.

randomwab

It looks exactly like that screenshot, not better nor worse, exactly like that.

It doesn't look anywhere near as washed out as that shot, and to be honest, while it still looks grainy, it doesn't look as bad as that screen. And the character models are better.

I'd still rather play the game in higher res with nice models, albeit seeing lower texture backgrounds, than playing it on any of the other systems and having an overall lower res, lower poly and lower background res blownup for the screen.

dark10x

It doesn't look anywhere near as washed out as that shot, and to be honest, while it still looks grainy, it doesn't look as bad as that screen. And the character models are better.

I'd still rather play the game in higher res with nice models, albeit seeing lower texture backgrounds, than playing it on any of the other systems and having an overall lower res, lower poly and lower background res blownup for the screen.
I'm not arguing that the Dreamcast version is solid, rather, that it looks best when played in RGB on an interlaced display. Playing in progressive on a VGA monitor creates this disparity between the models and the backgrounds that ruin the cohesiveness. It's not some minor nit-picking thing either. I'm genuinely shocked that people aren't bothered by that.

All games which used pre-rendered backgrounds on PSX look a bit janky when viewed on a higher resolution display. It's akin to playing REmake on Dolphin at 1080p. You have high-res models on top of 640x480 backgrounds. It just looks wrong.

I'm not arguing that the Dreamcast version is solid, rather, that it looks best when played in RGB on an interlaced display. Playing in progressive on a VGA monitor creates this disparity between the models and the backgrounds that ruin the cohesiveness. It's not some minor nit-picking thing either. I'm genuinely shocked that people aren't bothered by that.

All games which used pre-rendered backgrounds on PSX look a bit janky when viewed on a higher resolution display. It's akin to playing REmake on Dolphin at 1080p. You have high-res models on top of 640x480 backgrounds. It just looks wrong.

the best way to play RE2 and RE3 these days is on a PSP Go, imho.

kunonabi

No, at least in REmake your character would keep walking in whatever direction it was on the last camera angle until you let the stick go. So you hold left and the character walks left down the hall, camera angle shift, as long as you're still holding the stick he/she's still walking down the hall, even if the direction is now "north" or something. Worked pretty well.

How is that better than having four constant directions that never change? As soon as you let go of left you have a moment where the controls freak before it reorients itself with the next button you press. This happens with every game that uses fixed camera angles and non-tank controls that I've played. Made SH4 and Origins a pain in the ass. Would have ruined Fatal Frame as well if they had made it the only option. Tank controls are never a hindrance.

Boerseun

Banned
N64 version is the best. Best controls. More modes. Exclusive higher quality character models. And lots of extra RE background information.

Ultimately it doesn't look as crisp as the DC version (through VGA) or PC version with its higher resolutions, but the extra content plus 480i (looks nice through S-video) makes it the definitive version, in my opinion.

What a mess.

Solution: RE2make.

The REmakes of 2 and 3 (for Gamecube) were definitely slated to happen at one time, as I remember a Capcom producer saying they had started pre-production work on them. Going by the quality of the remake of Resident Evil 1 and the superlative Resident Evil 0 (a game I adore) I can imagine they would have been quite a treat.

What a mess.

Solution: RE2make.

Werd. One of my biggest gaming wishes. I was so bummed when it didn't happen. Would've much rather had that than Zero, which I never feel like replaying. Even now, I'd want it to be made on the same engine as Rebirth. I just love how that game looks.

Crazy. This doesn't seem rare at all though. All over ebay for $20 shipped. I got it a couple years ago for $10 at some used music/video games place.

kunonabi

How is that better than having four constant directions that never change? As soon as you let go of left you have a moment where the controls freak before it reorients itself with the next button you press. This happens with every game that uses fixed camera angles and non-tank controls that I've played. Made SH4 and Origins a pain in the ass. Would have ruined Fatal Frame as well if they had made it the only option. Tank controls are never a hindrance.

I can't speak to those other games you mentioned but I can assure you the controls in Resident Evil 64 never "freaked" and it was a very intuitive and natural control scheme. Being able to just push down in order to make your character move "down" on screen is something I'd take over having four constant directions.

I almost cried when Resident Evil 3 didn't have the option :-(

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Indeed. It is standard in gaming to have the controls justified to the camera. Changing that is as dumb as assigning something other than camera control to the right analog stick.

I personally prefer the GameCube version of RE2. Skippable cutscenes, one disc, better controller for the game (I seem to always run into walls when using the DC analog stick).

Still, for what it offers, the DC version is excellent.

What do you think of nightmare mode on DC?

Bumhead

Banned
That screenshot looks horrendous to me, and I've played RE2 at least a couple of times since this generation started.

I already own RE2 on multiple other systems, but I actually acquired it last year as part of a "free to a good home" arrangement from a friend of the wife's who was getting rid of his Dreamcast. He was never much of a gamer and found it in his parent's attic. Description of the bundle at the time was "Used Dreamcast, Sega Rally and some other crap". Imagine my excitement when I rooted through the bag and found that a perfect condition copy of Resident Evil 2 was amongst the stuff described as "other crap".

Never knew it was rare though. It's the only version of the game I own that I've not played yet.

Johnas

I found a near mint PS1 copy of this game randomly at a flea market a few weeks back for $5.

I haven't played it yet, but I plan to soon. On a PS2, on a CRT. Been wanting to for a long time now, after hearing everyone rave about it.

kunonabi

What do you think of nightmare mode on DC?

If I ever find the N64 version of RE2 for a reasonable price I'll give those controls a shot. I still don't believe they can work but if Capcom managed to do what nobody else was able to manage I'll gladly change my tune.

re: nightmare mode
I liked it quite a bit myself along with the extreme battle mode. RE2 was painfully easy to begin with so any attempt to make it somewhat challenging is fine by me. DC version also had the highest quality cutscenes and were full screen as well I believe.

RE2 on the GC is still solid though.

RE3 on the GC is superior though since it controls better. DC version had an extra costume or two but the button layout made the game unplayable for me.

Nightmare mode is the sole reason I have been trying to track down the Dreamcast version. It's not on any other version. Resident Evil 2 is one of my favorite games but I have mastered back and forth and to think there is a harder difficulty out there somewhere is delightful. I am not gonna pay 60 plus bucks though for a system I will never play and a game I already own three versions of.

addyb

Oh how i long for RE2 to bé given the REmake treatment. Possibly my favourite game of all time. Not been on the psn store in an absolute age so wasnt aware it was on there. Is it available on the uk store? Im tempted to pick it up but fear i might find it hasnt aged well over the years.

ctrayne

Nightmare mode is the sole reason I have been trying to track down the Dreamcast version. It's not on any other version. Resident Evil 2 is one of my favorite games but I have mastered back and forth and to think there is a harder difficulty out there somewhere is delightful. I am not gonna pay 60 plus bucks though for a system I will never play and a game I already own three versions of.

Buy the game then boot up NullDC.
(I'm assuming Resi 2 works, I'm not sure.)

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
So what about RE2 on PAL territory PSN-stores. Has it like black bars and stuff? Or are games from there essentially NTSC versions?

Mudkips

Banned

Some people will never understand relative controls, or why they're needed. I've given up trying to explain it - I just let them cry about "up" not being "up" on the screen.

RedSwirl

Oh how i long for RE2 to bé given the REmake treatment. Possibly my favourite game of all time. Not been on the psn store in an absolute age so wasnt aware it was on there. Is it available on the uk store? Im tempted to pick it up but fear i might find it hasnt aged well over the years.

If RE2Make was done today though, how? Would they really just do new pre-rendered backgrounds or stick with fixed camera angles today? Or would they do it RE4-style?

Top Bottom