• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finding Resident Evil 2 (Dreamcast)

addyb

If RE2Make was done today though, how? Would they really just do new pre-rendered backgrounds or stick with fixed camera angles today? Or would they do it RE4-style?

Not sure which would work the best. Id be happy with either to be honest. It still baffles me that capcom havent done it. They must know how popular it was and how its still fondly remembered. I remember my first encounter with a "licker" like it was yesterday! :)

klee123

RE4 style would make the game extremely imbalanced. They would have to completely change the core design of the game to be able to suit the the gameplay. Zombies with RE4 controls would make the game piss easy.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
If they can HD the CV they can HD the RE2!

Edit: I don't have a CRT anymore and can't play Dead Aim. Let's throw that one in on Move as a bonus.

If they can HD the CV they can HD the RE2!

Edit: I don't have a CRT anymore and can't play Dead Aim. Let's throw that one in on Move as a bonus.

They're polygonal backgrounds, all previous REs had static backgrounds. They can't ''HD'' it, sa you say, with new lighting and shadows. All they could do is use the PC/Dreamcast version and try to up-res it a bit. But I doubt they'd render the backgrounds at a higher resolution since they surely were rendered them originally at a relatively low resolution.

Still.....a RE2 Remake in the vein of the REmake would be orgasmic for me.

RedSwirl

RE4 style would make the game extremely imbalanced. They would have to completely change the core design of the game to be able to suit the the gameplay. Zombies with RE4 controls would make the game piss easy.

Zombies with RE4 controls is basically what Revelations is judging by the demo. All they really have to do is limit your ammo and supplies enough and it's just as difficult.

Also, a while ago someone was making an RE2 total conversion of Fallout 3. Not sure what the status on it is bout it looks pretty impressive. Outside of the characters the art assets are mostly Fallout, but the maps, audio, and even messages are straight from RE2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hULQS-g5uw4

klee123

Zombies with RE4 controls is basically what Revelations is judging by the demo. All they really have to do is limit your ammo and supplies enough and it's just as difficult.

Also, a while ago someone was making an RE2 total conversion of Fallout 3. Not sure what the status on it is bout it looks pretty impressive. Outside of the characters the art assets are mostly Fallout, but the maps, audio, and even messages are straight from RE2.

Yeah they'll have to make the enemies much harder. However, just a straight up remake like say in the vein of MGS TTS would suck.

Jaxter09

I played the DC version last year, and it seemed fine. It looked like ass but I would attribute that to playing it on a 50" LCD through composite. Why must old games look so shitty on new displays?

Somebody was also making a RE2/RE3 campaign for Left4Dead. Been a while since they posted any updates on it though :\

This isn't the most recent video of the campaign, but it shows the most of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_VuAmXkNY4

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
They're polygonal backgrounds, all previous REs had static backgrounds. They can't ''HD'' it, sa you say, with new lighting and shadows. All they could do is use the PC/Dreamcast version and try to up-res it a bit. But I doubt they'd render the backgrounds at a higher resolution since they surely were rendered them originally at a relatively low resolution.

Still.....a RE2 Remake in the vein of the REmake would be orgasmic for me.

You don't suppose they have the original 3D data that was used to create the pre-rendered backgrounds? How much work could it be to take that and add additional detail and a 3D map to display lighting, ala REmake?

Ah well. We can dream.

As for the N64 version, I enjoyed it, but the high-res character models against the low-res backdrops made for some visual discordance for me, personally.

Trying to play the PSN version on my PSP at the moment.

Now I never owned a Playstation, so this is my first time with this game.

The sudden camera angle changes are annoying as hell.

Imbarkus

The sudden camera angle changes are annoying as hell.

Bah. Gamers these days are soft and spoiled. Next you're going to bitch about "tank controls." :p

Seriously though the camera angles are part of the original "survival horror" design spec, and have clearly been deprecated since. People complain about them from a gameplay-sense, but without them, most recent "horror" games fail to emulate anything cinematic in their scary presentation.

I'm waiting for someone to bring them back just for presentation, but not hamper gameplay with them. For example, if you were to first walk into a new area in RE6 and have one of those dramatic "from the corner across the room" angles to set the mood and tension of the scene with cinematic effect, and then have the camera rapidly fly to behind your shoulder for the actual gameplay.

I will still always remember that initial camera shot from the first Silent Hill, as you're approaching an alleyway corner and the camera pulls up away from you and the ground, then sinks back down to watch your back as you move away. Even the movie copies it. How often does that happen?

Slavish reliance on gameplay-focused camerawork is part of the reason this genre doesn't do such a good job at setting tone anymore.

Bah. Gamers these days are soft and spoiled. Next you're going to bitch about "tank controls." :p

Seriously though the camera angles are part of the original "survival horror" design spec, and have clearly been deprecated since. People complain about them from a gameplay-sense, but without them, most recent "horror" games fail to emulate anything cinematic in their scary presentation.

I'm waiting for someone to bring them back just for presentation, but not hamper gameplay with them. For example, if you were to first walk into a new area in RE6 and have one of those dramatic "from the corner across the room" angles to set the mood and tension of the scene with cinematic effect, and then have the camera rapidly fly to behind your shoulder for the actual gameplay.

I will still always remember that initial camera shot from the first Silent Hill, as you're approaching an alleyway corner and the camera pulls up away from you and the ground, then sinks back down to watch your back as you move away. Even the movie copies it. How often does that happen?

Slavish reliance on gameplay-focused camerawork is part of the reason this genre doesn't do such a good job at setting tone anymore.

Tank controls don't bother me, it's just when there's an enemy right at the seam between camera angles that gets you it's annoying as hell. How am I supposed to fight/defend myself against something I can't even see?

Imbarkus

Tank controls don't bother me, it's just when there's an enemy right at the seam between camera angles that gets you it's annoying as hell. How am I supposed to fight/defend myself against something I can't even see?

Yeah that would be the fair criticism of the system. That's why I just want it used to set a scene and set some tone, and then go back to over the shoulder.

Yeah that would be the fair criticism of the system. That's why I just want it used to set a scene and set some tone, and then go back to over the shoulder.

I liked the way Code:Veronica did it on the Dreamcast. A static camera angle that moved with you as you got the edge of the screen (in some cases).

I realize that the backgrounds on the playstation RE games are static images so that's impossible, but that would be the preferred middle ground IMO.

Some people will never understand relative controls, or why they're needed. I've given up trying to explain it - I just let them cry about "up" not being "up" on the screen.

it makes me happy to see both of these "up"s being put in quote marks. you aren't moving the mouse up, or pushing "up" on an analog stick. you are pushing them FORWARDS.

there is no argument about this unless you hold your controller vertical, or use the front of your desk as a mouse pad.

I liked the way Code:Veronica did it on the Dreamcast. A static camera angle that moved with you as you got the edge of the screen (in some cases).

I realize that the backgrounds on the playstation RE games are static images so that's impossible, but that would be the preferred middle ground IMO.

not impossible actually. there's no reason why the PSX couldn't have done what RE:Zero did, where in some scenes you're basically zoomed in on a larger static background than the TV is displaying and the camera 'pans' over this as you move to the edge. think of it like a pan and scan version of a widescreen film.

it's not going to help with crossing the camera line though, but just a neat little bit of info.

Imbarkus

not impossible actually. there's no reason why the PSX couldn't have done what RE:Zero did, where in some scenes you're basically zoomed in on a larger static background than the TV is displaying and the camera 'pans' over this as you move to the edge. think of it like a pan and scan version of a widescreen film.

it's not going to help with crossing the camera line though, but just a neat little bit of info.

Even still, there wasn't much of a real reason for the relative controls once analog sticks became a reasonable standard.

For example, Silent Hill 2 started with relative controls but let you toggle them to "absolute" or "screen-based" controls in the menu. Then Silent Hill 3 went with this control scheme as default.

As long as the transition between screens is handled deftly, keeping you moving in the direction you intended until you change the stick's direction, it simply seems like way more people grok this method.

My point though is that, essentially, both of these control methods have been left behind because dramatic camera angles (and the off-screen shenanigans and jarring transitions associated) have been disused. They could come back, in a presentation-focused use, however.

If you're a Resident Evil fan, why not?

I have so many damn versions of various Resident Evil games its ridiculous.

I didn't know about the extra stuff in the DC version, now I have to get it, damn you!

Also, N64 version is damn good. Sound was fantastic(except during cutscenes, if I recall), and yea the FMV's are compressed but who cares, like others said, it's a miracle that game even exists on a cartridge, not to mention it is superior to the PSone version save for the FMV's.

Man, the Resident Evil games are awesome.

RedSwirl

At this point I'm willing to settle for $20. Though eStarland (which I live right near) just got a "complete" copy in for $30. I wonder if I could trade in my PSX (non dual-shock) copy...

Edit: they'll give me $8 for it. Found another deal on Amazon though for $20. Take it from this seller?

Top Bottom