• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finishing games is overrated

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I hate not finishing games as it means I made a bad purchase decision. And it ends up with that Dev on my shit list and having to do a lot to get me to buy another of their games (at least in the same genre).

That said, I don't force myself to finish games I'm not enjoying at all anymore. I'll force myself through unfun parts if I'm enjoying the whole (especially if I'm close to the end and it's story driven). If I'm not having fun at all anymore, I move on. I try to by non-MP games either physical so I can sell after beating or dirt cheap (Steam sales etc.) so I'm not out much.

I pretty much never 100% games. Never have, there's just always boring, tedious or frustrating shit involved and I really don't care about finishing things beyond finishing the story. If there's some true ending that's tedious to get I'll just YouTube that.

Here's a confession: I played Tomb Raider like a year ago for the first time. It cost me just a few bucks on Steam. I liked the first third of the game. About halfway through I knew I got what I wanted out of this game and I'm not really interested anymore, but OCD crept in and I forced myself to finish it. Now I'm not saying it's not a good game, in fact it's pretty great for what it is, it's just not for me. And once I learned I'm about halfway through (using a youtube let's play to estimate), I just felt like I might as well finish it.

When I did finish it I did not feel a sense of accomplishment, in fact I didn't feel great about doing that, since I could have spent those 6-7 hours playing a game that I love, experiencing something new. And I realized it all comes down to guilt. I just feel guilty walking out on a game. So I decided it's not OK for me to feel this guilt anymore. I give myself full permission to stop playing when the game doesn't pull me in anymore, there are just too many amazing games out there that I could be playing.

I know this doesn't sound very economical, but I actually don't spend a lot of money on games, because I only buy full price games when I know it's a home run for me. The rest of the time I like trying stuff that's not very expensive, either because it's older or because it's a smaller game.

terrible

Banned
Totally depends on if I care about the story or not. I need closure damn it. I can drop games before finishing them guilt free when I don't care about the story though.

Misread the title as fishing, Don't you dare talk shit about Sega Bass Fishing!

Lol same here. I was wondering who the hell was overrating fishing games, nobody talks about them! I want another good fishing game damn it.

I hate not finishing games as it means I made a bad purchase decision. And it ends up with that Dev on my shit list and having to do a lot to get me to buy another of their games (at least in the same genre).

That said, I don't force myself to finish games I'm not enjoying at all anymore. I'll force myself through unfun parts if I'm enjoying the whole (especially if I'm close to the end and it's story driven). If I'm not having fun at all anymore, I move on. I try to by non-MP games either physical so I can sell after beating or dirt cheap (Steam sales etc.) so I'm not out much.

I pretty much never 100% games. Never have, there's just always boring, tedious or frustrating shit involved and I really don't care about finishing things beyond finishing the story. If there's some true ending that's tedious to get I'll just YouTube that.

I resonate with everything you said except the bolded part. It's entirely possible these days to purchase a game for 3$ out of curiosity, have a good time with it for 3-4 hours and move on. If we're talking about something more expensive then yea, it usually stings.

jbueno

Used to be somewhat of a completionist, nowadays I´m just content with just finishing the main content of a game, even if it takes me months or years. I just play whatever my heart desires at the moment.

nynt9

Here's a confession: I played Tomb Raider like a year ago for the first time. It cost me just a few bucks on Steam. I liked the first third of the game. About halfway through I knew I got what I wanted out of this game and I'm not really interested anymore, but OCD crept in and I forced myself to finish it. Now I'm not saying it's not a good game, in fact it's pretty great for what it is, it's just not for me. And once I learned I'm about halfway through (using a youtube let's play to estimate), I just felt like I might as well finish it.

When I did finish it I did not feel a sense of accomplishment, in fact I didn't feel great about doing that, since I could have spent those 6-7 hours playing a game that I love, experiencing something new. And I realized it all comes down to guilt. I just feel guilty walking out on a game. So I decided it's not OK for me to feel this guilt anymore. I give myself full permission to stop playing when the game doesn't pull me in anymore, there are just too many amazing games out there that I could be playing.

I know this doesn't sound very economical, but I actually don't spend a lot of money on games, because I only buy full price games when I know it's a home run for me. The rest of the time I like trying stuff that's not very expensive, either because it's older or because it's a smaller game.

ROTTR is a good example of a game I wish I dropped earlier than I did. Just doesn't develop in an interesting fashion gameplay-wise, story is asinine and the characters are non-characters.

I try and finish games I start. However, if a game doesn't hook me and I'm not enjoying I don't hesitate at putting it aside. I have limited time for gaming and I try not to use that time playing a game if I'm not having a good time with it.

Just like food, I think how many games you had while you grew up (budget) can influence if you tend to finish your games before buying a new one or not.
(at the condition that the game is not just unbearable)

Personally I don't like taking breaks in a game I'm playing so I'd often play it obsessively until it's finished.

killatopak

At my age, I'm not at the point where money isn't a problem but time is so I always finish my games so I get my money's worth.

Maybe when I'm older I won't be able to finish games but I think I would rather play less titles and still finish the ones I play rather than play every game released and not finishing a single one.

mark1982

I finish the games I start. Like others have mentioned it irks me if I leave a game unfinished if I start playing it. I don't 100% all games only the ones I really enjoy playing. But I do finish them until I see the end credits before I start another one.

Briarios

Games are more like TV shows than movies. A 20 hour game is like watching an entire season, as far as time investment goes.

I have no problem with someone quitting a TV show they aren't enjoying, it should be the same with games.

I play whatever I want, whenever I want, for as long as I want. It's odd to see so many people chained to their games like its some kind of job.

Animagne

I think it has a lot to do with viewing games as a form of art. Unless you have completed the game you can't properly understand the creative intent behind it. If the game gets boring fast, especially in the middle, there should be no issues dropping it and still havild valid criticisms. I just don't understand dropping games when close to the end, having everything unlocked, etc. If you have gone through majority of the midgame padding, might as well push through to see the endgame.

hydruxo

I think that's a good way to go about gaming, OP. People get so caught up in feeling like they have to finish a game to get their money's worth, but if you don't enjoy it then don't force it on yourself to finish it.

redcrayon

Due to limited gaming time these days, I hve a low tolerance for bloat in modern games that feel the need to put dozens of hours of play in when a large portion of that is fetch quests, walking between objectives in empty worlds or repeated content. If the game seemingly offers nothing further but more and more bloat, round-the-world-to-collect-the-items and backtracking, I'll happily abandon it and sell it, and not pick up the inevitably even-more-bloated sequel. Having said that, I've played 50 hour+ RPGs that held my attention all the way to the end, it's just that I've played enough of them to spot unimaginative filler content a mile off.

Even in shorter games like shooter campaigns, if I can kill a wave of enemies, defeating the same wave an extra 12 times because it adds an hour of play does nothing for me unless the combat is engaging and with multiple ways to learn, improve and approach it differently. Bullet sponge enemies with riot shields are pretty much shooter bloat to me, often there just to pad out an encounter.

There are so many damn games, I really became a lot happier when I realized that I don't need to play everything.

I gave myself a little rule where I have to finish a game to buy a new one, but I just bought Horizon because of the sale and will def get Crash next week.

I def try to finish the games Im having fun with but I def will check out on something average because there is way too much out there to play mediocre games.
This right here.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Different types of games and people.

I love horror games, and in my experience while some do fizzle out after the start many more have their best segments later in. For me I love gaming 'scenes', and usually split a game up in my head into 'scenes'. Horror games have a tendency to have some stand-out scenes and some lower end stuff. When I play games I want to experience all of the different scenes as seperate things to experience more than reach an ending. Usually in my head I will then value each scene to my enjoyment.

If I stopped a lot of games before getting later in, there's so many fantastic scenes I would've missed. There's a lot of games that have their best parts in their later halves or even right towards the end.

120v

i've probably finished only 10-15% of games in my library, and even that may be a generous estimate

lot of it has to do with my reptile-brain ADHD but i figure you've only got so much time, once you've had your fill why stick around unless the game is strictly narrative based. personally it blows my mind reading posts with people platinuming games a few weeks after release, but everybody has their own gaming habits

idk, not finishing a game that has an ending is like dropping a good movie 2/3rds of the way through b/c the later third drags.

It surely depends. Not finishing a game like civilization or CoD campaign is surely totally different than reaching the conclusion of something like The Last of Us or Mass Effect 2 for example, no?

Tecnniqe

Banned
I finish good games and often play them multiple times, but a bad game I'll leave cold turkey. Ain't nobody got time for that.

prag16

Banned
I agree completely. If I'm not having fun for any significant amount of time, I don't continue, period.

Very incomplete list of games I dropped between 5-20 hours in and have never gone back to: RDR, GTA4, GTA5, XCX, DA:I, Witcher 3, Fallout 4.. and even Horizon. Though that last one I do still plan on trying to finish.

As others have said, I just don't have the time to spend on things I'm not enjoying. Not enough hours in the day and too many other demands on my time between work, wife, kids, other family, other hobbies, etc.

And comparing this to movies is ridiculous due to the difference in time commitment. I'd liken it more to dropping a TV series after some incomplete amount of episodes. That seems to be far less "frowned upon" by some on gaf than dropping a game without finishing.

And I'll echo the sentiment about a game taking too long to "hit its stride". One of the games I heard this more about is XCX. "Trust me it REALLY get good after 40 hours!!!" That's nice and all but nope. Not interested.

Bubba77

I have this debate with my bro in law all the time. He buys a game and will finish it multiple times even if he doesnt like it that much. He just wants to get the value out of it. He doesnt have a ton of money so I get him sticking with a game. Ill gift him games so hell move on but its the principal. He needs to 100% every game he plays.

I buy a ton of games. I probably finish 40% of them. I play them until Im not having fun anymore. I have a job and 2 kids. I dont have time to waste not enjoying myself. The nioh thread earlier today fit me perfectly. I LOVE the souls/bloodborne games. I loved nioh at first and played about 20 hours of it but then it became a chore. I stopped and havent gone back. I still loved the game and I feel I got my 60 bucks worth. In the end i need to be having fun with my free time!

A game would have to be real dreadful for me to stop bothering with it, fortunately I research before I buy so it's never come to that point.

vsMIC

i only "finish" games if i like them. even if it takes months (e.g. witcher). if the game does not click, i drop them rather quickly without remorse. time is short and too many good games and mp games on my regular playlist.

Budi

I resonate with everything you said except the bolded part. It's entirely possible these days to purchase a game for 3$ out of curiosity, have a good time with it for 3-4 hours and move on. If we're talking about something more expensive then yea, it usually stings.

Yeah exactly, I also didn't finish Tomb Raider. But I didn't mind buying it from a sale for 10-15 and playing for bit over 9 hours. It was somewhat interesting and looked impressive, I now have very good idea of the game. But I bought GR: Wildlands because of peer pressure this year, I suggested waiting for a sale but my coop buddies wanted it ASAP. Paid 50 bucks for it and played for 10 hours, didn't really have much fun either while doing so. Yeah I regret it. Playing the beta was fun enough though. I would have rather paid 10 bucks for the first area than 50 for the rest of it probably.

jelly

I don't really like leaving games unfinished.

Game with a story and decent mechanics, I'll see it through.

Puzzle games, platformers, I can call it a day. Rayman Origins makes me feel that way, gets boring once they reveal a whole new set of locations but are just a harder remix of sorts. Outlander got annoying and boring, never completed that either.

There are so many damn games, I really became a lot happier when I realized that I don't need to play everything.

I gave myself a little rule where I have to finish a game to buy a new one, but I just bought Horizon because of the sale and will def get Crash next week.

I def try to finish the games Im having fun with but I def will check out on something average because there is way too much out there to play mediocre games.

I had that rule, but the psn sales broke that. I'm trying to see it as a collection, rather then a backlog.

I can't remember the last game I finished. Even if it's something I'm really enjoying like Doom or The Witcher 3, I find myself taking a real after a while to play something else then just never get back to it.

draetenth

TBH, I try to complete every game I play (at least ones that have a clear end goal anyway) and will push myself to a degree to finish a game even if I start to have less fun just because I don't like to leave games unfinished.

That said, I do have limits and I will stop playing a game (or reading a book or watching something) if I have no fun at all. I have plenty of other things to do than waste my time on something I have no fun doing.

100% agree. Now that I have a full time job and adult responsibilities, I value my free time more than ever. There's more to life than video games, and it doesn't make sense to waste my finite gaming time playing something that feels like a chore.

I've also learned to set my own goals as to what constitutes 'finishing' a game. Games that respect my time have become inifitely more desirable for me. I'll take 5 hours of quality gameplay over 50 hours of filler.

Ain't nobody got time 'fo dat.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Oh I do agree that price matters. I'm just trying more to stick to just buying things I'm pretty sure I want to play and not just things I'm curious about even if cheap these days so I didn't address that in my post.

RPGCrazied

Yeah, no. I finish games. Most of the games I play are story driven, why on earth would I stop playing it? Thats like saying I stop reading a novel half way in. Talk about a waste of time.

nynt9

Yeah, no. I finish games. Most of the games I play are story driven, why on earth would I stop playing it? Thats like saying I stop reading a novel half way in. Talk about a waste of time.

I mean, I've dropped novels too. Sometimes it becomes clear that the story isn't as appealing as the initial premise suggested and the writers have no idea where to take it. And in the case of games, sometimes the game is just too tedious and a waste of time, and the story isn't good enough to make it worthwhile. I can play a different game that I actually enjoy in that time frame.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
If a game's not fun, well yeah. Makes sense. People play games for entertainment, and if they are not being entertained, why bother? At that point you might as well be at work, not getting paid.

I will finish most games I play, but I also try not to play bad games. Some genres are harder for me to finish these days, like JRPGs, where I usually love the begging but the repetition in a battle system bogs down halfway through.

Open world games almost always get completed by me, even though they are huge. I just don't feel compelled to do everything, as THAT can be a slog and ruin the game.

Top Bottom