• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

McNum

Ha ha! Success! Chrom married Olivia!

That one actually wasn't that hard to get, just had to have Chrom work his butt off with a fairly useless support unit in his Pair Up on Chapter 11. Little level 1 Dancer Olivia. She actually did a Dual Strike once. No Damage. Gotta love Lissa's comment on the pairing.

Also, the S-Rank conversation in the support log and the one you see ingame are... different? Weird. Is it like that in the Japanese version, too?

Now the hard part... finding out who to pair my avatar with. Ah, well, some are already spoken for, so I'll just have to pick someone else. Maybe a second generation female for a change. Obvious choice would be Lucina of course, but that's almost TOO obvious.

Anteo

Ha ha! Success! Chrom married Olivia!

That one actually wasn't that hard to get, just had to have Chrom work his butt off with a fairly useless support unit in his Pair Up on Chapter 11. Little level 1 Dancer Olivia. She actually did a Dual Strike once. No Damage. Gotta love Lissa's comment on the pairing.

Also, the S-Rank conversation in the support log and the one you see ingame are... different? Weird. Is it like that in the Japanese version, too?

Now the hard part... finding out who to pair my avatar with. Ah, well, some are already spoken for, so I'll just have to pick someone else. Maybe a second generation female for a change. Obvious choice would be Lucina of course, but that's almost TOO obvious.

Aversa

Usobuko

Banned
My Nah literally solo Radiant Hero on Hard / Classic. Her S rank companion just a Lv.20 Yarne with no other class skills and hit for 0 damage to enemy.

Anyway, I went and bought some DLC for FE:A

Scramble Pack: $6.50

Xenologue: Harvest Scramble
Xenologue: Summer Scramble
Xenologue: Hot-Spring Scramble

Challenge Pack: $6.50

Xenologue: Death's Embrace
Xenologue: Five-Anna Firefight
Xenologue: Roster Rescue

Lost Bloodlines Pack: $6.00

Xenologue: Lost Bloodlines 1
Xenologue: Lost Bloodlines 2
Xenologue: Lost Bloodlines 3

Future Past Pack: $6.50

Xenologue: The Future Past 1
Xenologue: The Future Past 2
Xenologue: The Future Past 3

Apotheosis: Final Xenologue

And some miscellaneous for Limit Breaker, Dread Scroll. I don't know if I should spend money on the EXP growth. I certainly don't have a problem with gold and weapons after beating the game, just grinding exp for class change is a huge pain in the ass without dlc. 8 exp per enemy. Ewwww.

I guess FE:A will stay on my 3ds for quite a while, Apotheosis just obliterates my squad.

Dizzy-4U

Well, I'm on chapter 12 and I can't stop playing. This is probably the best game I've played all year.

I have a question, when is it recommended to upgrade your class? When you get to level 20 or as soon as you get your two skills? Is it two skills per class?

Well, I'm on chapter 12 and I can't stop playing. This is probably the best game I've played all year.

I have a question, when is it recommended to upgrade your class? When you get to level 20 or as soon as you get your two skills? Is it two skills per class?

As soon as you get two skills.

Also try not to change class too much when in an upgraded class; it causes your exp gain to decrease quicker, but it's no big deal.

Dizzy-4U

As soon as you get two skills.

Also try not to change class too much when in an upgraded class; it causes your exp gain to decrease quicker, but it's no big deal.
I see. I haven't changed any class yet, I only upgraded Chrom and Robin since they both reached level cap. But ok, if it's recommended to upgrade after your two skills, I have a lot of work to do. Thanks for the info.

NeonZ

Are you grinding for skills and children set ups? If so then as soon as you get the skills, otherwise, wait until level 20, since you'll end up with higher stats that way (you level up slower in promoted classes).

Anteo

The only time you may want to wait for 20 is for the first upgrade (when going from base to advanced, this doesnt apply to units that already start as an advanced class like Frederick or Libra)

I'm grinding support pairing right now. Already 22 hours and am only in Chapter 6. Wasting those experience on max level characters hurts and maybe I should wait until I could freely buy Second Seals, but by then I feel that the pairing combinations would be too overwhelming.

Fiktion

Banned
Okay so I'm just starting to really read into what needs to be done for the best pairings to produce the ideal offspring, and I'm confused about how inheritance of skills works. I'm aiming to pair Chrom with Olivia, and obviously I want Lucina to inherit Galeforce, but apparently that requires me using Second Seal to reclass Olivia into Pegasus Knight, then Master Sealing her up to Dark Flier and leveling her up to 15 on top of that.

That seems like a lot of work. At what point does the inheritance actually happen? Is it time sensitive?

Javier

Okay so I'm just starting to really read into what needs to be done for the best pairings to produce the ideal offspring, and I'm confused about how inheritance of skills works. I'm aiming to pair Chrom with Olivia, and obviously I want Lucina to inherit Galeforce, but apparently that requires me using Second Seal to reclass Olivia into Pegasus Knight, then Master Sealing her up to Dark Flier and leveling her up to 15 on top of that.

That seems like a lot of work. At what point does the inheritance actually happen? Is it time sensitive?
For Lucina, it happens when she joins (which is a forced event). I wouldn't worry too much about Lucina inheriting Galeforce, though, since you can always class-change Lucina herself to Peg Knight/Dark Flier later so she learns the skill herself. It's better that Olivia passes down a skill that Lucina can't learn, like Luck +4, which is unique to the Dancer class.

For the rest of the children, inheritance happens when you start the Paralogue that recruits the child in question. You can even check the map, check the child for stats and skills, and if they're not what you want, you can exit the map and have the parents learn the wanted skills and come back later. For these maps, it is recommended that you train Olivia to Dark Flier so she can pass Galeforce to her son, since he doesn't inherit the Pegasus Knight class line and can't learn it on his own (same goes for Lissa and her son).

Gundy2010

The Smash Bros. Effect®

I was putting off buying this one for a while now, but I finally started it over the last week.

I said God Damn, God Damn, God Damn.

I'm at Chapter... errr, 18? I think. What a fantastic game, really. It's so addicting. It is my first Fire Emblem game and it does a great job at introducing one into the series, the learning curve is laid out really great and the game never gets too overwhelming with it's mechanics.

There were some weird difficult spikes, but I'm really enjoying the ride. I'd still put Kid Icarus above it as far as 3DS games go, but it's great to check the box to the next Nintendo franchise, and even better that it's truly an enjoyable one and one of the classics.

The metagame with shipping characters is weirdly addicting too. Sumia mai waifu obv, but I can see myself giving the game another go to not only play it at a harder difficulty, but also to try another pairings. Fun stuff!

I couldn't help it but... (in terribad Russian accent) HOW MUCH YOU PAY?
Is this game still like 40 bucks now after all this time? My friend lives in Canada and couldn't find a used copy anywhere.

CassSept

I couldn't help it but... (in terribad Russian accent) HOW MUCH YOU PAY?
Is this game still like 40 bucks now after all this time? My friend lives in Canada and couldn't find a used copy anywhere.

Europe, so 40 Euro, yes, for a new sealed copy. Nintendo games nearly never get cheaper, usually on the contrary. At least it's not going out-of-print yet, something that tends to happen with Nintendo games like these... my copy was from a fresh shipment, had "Compatible with 2DS" mark on the cover and the software booklet inside had Mario Golf so the game is definitely still selling. Honestly, I wouldn't count on a price drop any time soon.

Fiktion

Banned
For Lucina, it happens when she joins (which is a forced event). I wouldn't worry too much about Lucina inheriting Galeforce, though, since you can always class-change Lucina herself to Peg Knight/Dark Flier later so she learns the skill herself. It's better that Olivia passes down a skill that Lucina can't learn, like Luck +4, which is unique to the Dancer class.

For the rest of the children, inheritance happens when you start the Paralogue that recruits the child in question. You can even check the map, check the child for stats and skills, and if they're not what you want, you can exit the map and have the parents learn the wanted skills and come back later. For these maps, it is recommended that you train Olivia to Dark Flier so she can pass Galeforce to her son, since he doesn't inherit the Pegasus Knight class line and can't learn it on his own (same goes for Lissa and her son).

Thanks for the explanation, that really helps. But I can't help but wonder, is there enough content in this game for me to run a proper eugenics program? There are only 25 chapters, right? It feels like just getting one parent to an ideal state would take a large investment, and I don't see how I wouldn't run out of levels if I did them all like I was planning.

Do I need to get some DLC?

NeonZ

Thanks for the explanation, that really helps. But I can't help but wonder, is there enough content in this game for me to run a proper eugenics program? There are only 25 chapters, right? It feels like just getting one parent to an ideal state would take a large investment, and I don't see how I wouldn't run out of levels if I did them all like I was planning.

26 main story chapters, 17 standard paralogue/optional chapters, then 6 Spotpass chapters (just need to connect once to get them). Aside from the chapters themselves, you can always play monster battles or battles against the bonus teams to level up too (well, Lunatic changes some things...).

Really, the main issue against going for eugenics in a first playthrough is that the main game, outside of Lunatic and Lunatic + , is pretty much a joke against a team with proper eugenics and enough levels (and even Lunatic can be broken after a certain point). The last few bonus chapters are harder, but the only proper challenge would come from a few DLC chapters.

McNum

Do I need to get some DLC?
If you just want to beat the game, the eugenics isn't really necessary. If you want to beat the final four DLC chapters, it is. Especially Apotheosis. If it's your first game, don't stress too hard about it, just enjoy the ride.

Fiktion

Banned
If you just want to beat the game, the eugenics isn't really necessary. If you want to beat the final four DLC chapters, it is. Especially Apotheosis. If it's your first game, don't stress too hard about it, just enjoy the ride.

Well now I'm regretting making pairings based on eugenics. I'm just going to end up overlapping support conversations on my second time through.

Dizzy-4U

Well now I'm regretting making pairings based on eugenics. I'm just going to end up overlapping support conversations on my second time through.
That's exacly what I'm doing. The game is no challenging at all (didn't know normal was THAT easy) so I started doing whatever. I just paired up Maribelle with Frederick. Like, wut?

I'll save the good eugenics and DLC for Lunatic. I don't want to see the same game twice.

Fiktion

Banned
I'm on Hard so it's not exactly a cakewalk but I am irritated that I've already gotten a few S level supports which are basically going to be wasted on this first playthrough.

Fiktion

Banned
So I've been taking it slow and I'm only up to Chapter 10 right now. I'm thinking about restarting on Normal, just enjoying the ride as you guys said, and then tackling a Lunatic run with optimal eugenics and everything.

Good idea? Bad idea?

Usobuko

Banned
I'm on Hard so it's not exactly a cakewalk but I am irritated that I've already gotten a few S level supports which are basically going to be wasted on this first playthrough.

So I've been taking it slow and I'm only up to Chapter 10 right now. I'm thinking about restarting on Normal, just enjoying the ride as you guys said, and then tackling a Lunatic run with optimal eugenics and everything.

Good idea? Bad idea?

I'm on hard/classic for first playthrough. I also beat all the Xenologues ( not withstanding DLC ones ).

My S pairings wasn't really optimised. For example, my gerome has no berserker class because I tried pairing Lon Qu with Sully, Panne, Cherche, Lissa and just find Cherche support to be my favorite. I didn't have galeforce on Inigo, I pick Libra and Lissa because together with Owain, they would make a blonde family. I kinda dislike the hair colour of Severa too but I can't help it because that was my first S pairing with Cordelia.

You can still make it through, you don't need a lot of grind either. Not to mention, you reknown points get carried over on a new playthrough after you beat the game. All of them isn't that wasted. Don't worry.

Fiktion

Banned
I'm on hard/classic for first playthrough. I also beat all the Xenologues ( not withstanding DLC ones ).

My S pairings wasn't really optimised. For example, my gerome has no berserker class because I tried pairing Lon Qu with Sully, Panne, Cherche, Lissa and just find Cherche support to be my favorite. I didn't have galeforce on Inigo, I pick Libra and Lissa because together with Owain, they would make a blonde family. I kinda dislike the hair colour of Severa too but I can't help it because that was my first S pairing with Cordelia.

You can still make it through, you don't need a lot of grind either. Not to mention, you reknown points get carried over on a new playthrough after you beat the game. All of them isn't that wasted. Don't worry.

Well, I meant the supports are wasted in the sense that if I do another, optimized run on Lunatic, I'll just be seeing the same conversations all over again. If I'm not going to be hardcore from the start, I figure I might as well just mess around.

I don't unlock anything for beating it on Hard/Classic right? More and more I'm thinking there's no point and that maybe I should just breeze through on Normal.

Usobuko

Banned
Well, I meant the supports are wasted in the sense that if I do another, optimized run on Lunatic, I'll just be seeing the same conversations all over again. If I'm not going to be hardcore from the start, I figure I might as well just mess around.

I don't unlock anything for beating it on Hard/Classic right? More and more I'm thinking there's no point and that maybe I should just breeze through on Normal.

Oh, you meant it this way. Then, yes, I would go with Normal too.

And yes, you don't unlock anything special for beating with Hard/Classic.

Fiktion

Banned
Oh, you meant it this way. Then, yes, I would go with Normal too.

And yes, you don't unlock anything special for beating with Hard/Classic.

Alright time to erase 10 Chapters of Hard work. No fucks given run. Maybe I'll make Robin female this time.

Anteo

For Lunatic you need to play around the RNG. It's not balanced for sane gameplay, you will lose and a lot and having a bad level up can mean game over

Fiktion

Banned
You guys are making it sound like I shouldn't even try Lunatic.

:/

But that's the only way to put eugenics to proper use, isn't it? I want to try at least one run doing everything perfectly.

McNum

But that's the only way to put eugenics to proper use, isn't it? I want to try at least one run doing everything perfectly.
No, you see, Lunatic isn't even remotely fair. Like, not even close. You can play perfectly and the game can just go "Nope! You lose!" anyway. Thanks to random skill distribution on enemies, you can literally end up on unwinnable maps, especially in the beginning.

But if you do beat it, you unlock Lunatic+. Same as Lunatic, except the enemy always goes first in battles.

Anteo

Nope. In fact the best strat for Lunatic is to use just 3-4 chars that become unstopable.
So basically, FeRobin + Chrom and maybe their 2 kids, everyone else stays on the base. Oh and that's assuming you want to grind, if you do a no grind run, the children characters will be much harder to recruit and train.

The other thing is that characters become much harder to max out in lunatic compared to hard. The game has an internal level cap and a level counter. The counter increases with every level up and lowers a little with every change class, that counter is used to determine the exp you get (so the more levelups your character has overall, the less exp he/she gets). iirc the internal level cap is 30 for normal, 50 for Hard and 70 for lunatic, meaning that is much harder to max out units on lunatic because they level up super slow after 3-4 class changes

If you really want to make a "perfect" run. you could try a hard - no grind run. Basically you are only allowed stuff from the main chapters and paralogues. Random battles and DLC is not allowed (even if it's just to clear a store so you can buy stuff form them). And train Donnel while you are at it. You will have to plan ahead for most of that, and adjust your strat acording to the level ups you get.

No, you see, Lunatic isn't even remotely fair. Like, not even close. You can play perfectly and the game can just go "Nope! You lose!" anyway. Thanks to random skill distribution on enemies, you can literally end up on unwinnable maps, especially in the beginning.

But if you do beat it, you unlock Lunatic+. Same as Lunatic, except the enemy always goes first in battles.

Wait what? I thought that was just Vantage+ for some but not all of the enemies? Some others get Luna+, Hawkeye+ and the like right?

Shengar

The way to win Lunatic is pretty much abusing the pair-up system: using only one pair of super unit to plow through the enemy for the whole game.

I think you kinda mixed up with Lunatic+. Lunatic have random skill distribution, but most of the time it just a unit's normal skill (with Accuracy +10 at later chapter). It is in Lunatic+ where the enemy have + skills like Vantage+, Hawkeye, or Counter that render your superunit useless and incapable of bulldozing the game like in lunatic. The strat in Lunatic+ is ironically, involving one of the weakest class line make Counter can't harm your unit: archers.

Dizzy-4U

Just tried Lunatic just for funsies. Spent an hour in the prologue with Frederick moving through the whole map protecting my squad's sorry ass. I finally get to the boss, he had like 7hp left, Frederick almost full.

Boss is like "Nahh Son!" and critical hit to death poor ol' Freddy.

Zya3eeS.jpg

RiggyRob

Just tried Lunatic just for funsies. Spent an hour in the prologue with Frederick moving through the whole map protecting my squad's sorry ass. I finally get to the boss, he had like 7hp left, Frederick almost full.

Boss is like "Nahh Son!" and critical hit to death poor ol' Freddy.

Zya3eeS.jpg

Well, it is called Lunatic, as in only lunatics would attempt to complete the game on that difficulty.

McNum

The way to win Lunatic is pretty much abusing the pair-up system: using only one pair of super unit to plow through the enemy for the whole game.

I think you kinda mixed up with Lunatic+. Lunatic have random skill distribution, but most of the time it just a unit's normal skill (with Accuracy +10 at later chapter). It is in Lunatic+ where the enemy have + skills like Vantage+, Hawkeye, or Counter that render your superunit useless and incapable of bulldozing the game like in lunatic. The strat in Lunatic+ is ironically, involving one of the weakest class line make Counter can't harm your unit: archers.
Ah, I might gotten it wrong. It was another game that had that, wasn't it?

Fiktion

Banned
So thanks to everyone's advice I've decided to just press forward with my Hard/Classic run and do the eugenics and maybe get to put them to the test in Future Past when I get around to downloading it.

In the meantime I've been making spreadsheets and stuff for my pairings and I've realized that nearly half of these characters are in the wrong class set.

At what point would you recommend that I use the Second Seal to reclass these parents? Right after acquiring the second skill of the base class?

NeonZ

Yes. If you want to change from one base class to another, do it as soon as possible (level 10, when you also get the 2nd skill o the base class), since Second Seals add hidden levels that make you get experience slower after class changing based on your current level.

Ah, I might gotten it wrong. It was another game that had that, wasn't it?

Yes, the previous game, New Mystery of the Emblem. In Lunatic Reverse, the enemy always went first unless they couldn't counter-attack.

I found Lunatic there pretty cool; it was more balanced than one paired up character soloing the game at least!

Fiktion

Banned
This might be a silly question but I was under the impression that after level 20, units could level up once more and gain a class promotion. But the experience bar just says MAX and I don't seem to be making progress. Is this normal? Do I have to use Master Seals?

Xenoflare

This might be a silly question but I was under the impression that after level 20, units could level up once more and gain a class promotion. But the experience bar just says MAX and I don't seem to be making progress. Is this normal? Do I have to use Master Seals?

Yes. You must use a master seal in order for your character to rank up.

Anteo

I believe that was the case in the localized version of Radiant Dawn.

Fiktion

Banned
Alright thanks. And another question, more loosely, I'm starting to get lazy regarding my eugenics program and I'm thinking of not bothering to level everyone to 20 before using the Master Seals because I really just want to get certain skills for the children and probably won't need min/maxing on Hard Mode. Will I regret this later?

Insaniac

so what can I do now that I beat the game? I thought i saw some message about something akin to newgame+? Do i get to keep all my chars levels or something?

NeonZ

Alright thanks. And another question, more loosely, I'm starting to get lazy regarding my eugenics program and I'm thinking of not bothering to level everyone to 20 before using the Master Seals because I really just want to get certain skills for the children and probably won't need min/maxing on Hard Mode. Will I regret this later?

If you don't plan to really use the parents in your party, you can do that. The children will still be able to easily get levels, it's just the parent units themselves that'll suffer in stat totals for endgame and post game (since leveling them up won't get any faster).

so what can I do now that I beat the game? I thought i saw some message about something akin to newgame+? Do i get to keep all my chars levels or something?

Connect to the internet through the wireless menu to get the 6 bonus paralogues. Most of them are for higher level parties than the final story chapter. Connecting will also open up the bonus teams, with characters from the past games recreated as generic Awakening units. You could try skirmishes against them, like the monster skirmishes (there are some with all maxed levels and such).

You can save your avatar in the logbook and import it as a guest character to another file (it won't be your main avatar in that file though, it's a character you can get after the first few chapters, when some menus open up). Your fame total and the content that you can unlock with it also carries over to other files. There's no dedicated "New Game +" option though.

Top Bottom