• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

*reads community thread subtitle* .. *looks at character lineup*..

Das_Racist_sundance.jpg
!!

Shengar

You can have female morgan marry her uncle.

Awakening's plot sucked because of the time traveling mechanic, they didn't handle it gracefully.

But they wanted the time traveling so you could have the FEIV's kid system, with out the whole butchering of the first generation.

Why not just timeskip? Is it very hard to add moustache to Frederick sprite and portrait?

Shengar

But then, they'll have to weaken their growth rates and stats unless they got a cool title like The Sword Saint.
Yeah, it could be balancing problem, though the current children mechanic have make children unit always stronger than their parent. I guess it need more tweak and adjustment to fit with timeskip plot.
The waifus have to be forever young. Don't see fanart of 70 year old Lyn do you?

Lol that exactly why older female parent unit wouldn't be much of problem in the first place: they will keep them young and nobody will complain. Lisa would look like Emeryn, while the rest can keep their face with different haircut and mature look. That would suffice for me.

Lunar15

If there was a remake using Awakening's engine, but it kept the same mechanics I think it would be much more popular.

I actually completely agree with this. The game being on a portable would be really helpful too. It's really hard to go back and replay PoR and RD due to the console nature.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
If they retain the whole multi-generation thing I'd rather they did FE4-style than the Awakening style. The way Awakening handled it the second generation was basically a small army of Ninos instead of an actual new generation of characters.

And Nino sucks.

spiritfox

If they retain the whole multi-generation thing I'd rather they did FE4-style than the Awakening style. The way Awakening handled it the second generation was basically a small army of Ninos instead of an actual new generation of characters.

And Nino sucks.

You suck.

Nino isn't actually that powerful though

Levyne

Banned
Nino can end up great but the amount of baby-ing required and lack of availability just crushes her usefulness. I'd have to double check the specifics but I think I would rate both Pent and Erk higher simply for ease of use and availability, respectfully. Not always about end game stats.

At least not in games without an open map mode.

ixix

You suck.

Nino isn't actually that powerful though

sad emoticon

Why is the part where I suck all sittin' out in the open for God and everybody to see, but the bit where you agree with me is all hiding in a spoiler? That stings.

Nino can end up great but the amount of baby-ing required and lack of availability just crushes her usefulness. I'd have to double check the specifics but I think I would rate both Pent and Erk higher simply for ease of use and availability, respectfully. Not always about end game stats.

At least not in games without an open map mode.

Her Achilles' heel is her glass jaw, but really she's doing you a favor by getting herself killed so easily so it's actually kind of a feather in her cap.

spiritfox

sad emoticon

Why is the part where I suck all sittin' out in the open for God and everybody to see, but the bit where you agree with me is all hiding in a spoiler? That stings.

Her Achilles' heel is her glass jaw, but really she's doing you a favor by getting herself killed so easily so it's actually kind of a feather in her cap.

Cause Nino is love. Even if she comes too late that your other mages will be better by that time. And you only have like 3 missions to use her.

ixix

Nino is only love if you love engaging in needlessly complicated, repetitive, arbitrary grinding for minimal to no benefit.

Which, now that I think about it, actually describes me. Maybe I should rethink my Nino hatred.

dkoy

So I finished my Normal/Classic playthrough of Awakening and was trying to get all the children (for fun) until a google search yielded that I completely missed Miriel's child by not using Chrom or Miriel visit the village. So I decided to start a Lunatic/Classic playthrough and holy shit I can't even get beat the prologue without people dying everywhere. Any tips FEGaf?

Actually on second thought I'll just play on Hard instead. Lunatic is just insane.

Shengar

So I finished my Normal/Classic playthrough of Awakening and was trying to get all the children (for fun) until a google search yielded that I completely missed Miriel's child by not using Chrom or Miriel visit the village. So I decided to start a Lunatic/Classic playthrough and holy shit I can't even get beat the prologue without people dying everywhere. Any tips FEGaf?

Actually on second thought I'll just play on Hard instead. Lunatic is just insane.

Easy tips: Use the water trick, play the early game as Frederick Emblem: Veteraning.

Yeah, I was able to find a method to beat the prologue consistently, chapter 1 half the time, and then gave up at chapter 2. Lunatic's kind of...insane.

I was just wondering if "Path of Radiance", and "Radiant Dawn" are worth playing through via Dolphin?

I enjoyed Awakening immensely, but is there any value (story wise) to be had from going back and playing those? If so, are the tactics still relatively the same?

I was just wondering if "Path of Radiance", and "Radiant Dawn" are worth playing through via Dolphin?

I enjoyed Awakening immensely, but is there any value (story wise) to be had from going back and playing those? If so, are the tactics still relatively the same?

The story of that two are much much better and darker. With a cast of much more interesting characters too , with side characters being more important in the main story.

They are also much harder and you are unable to grind in those games.

Strongly recommended.

BTW Awakening and SS tie for the easiest fire emblem IMO.

Shengar

Remember to skip the animation. It was awful, especially after playing Awakening.

Peff

Too bad PoR is slow even without them because it has map animations as well :( Possibly the game's biggest failing other than downgrading the difficulty levels for the western release, but it does show how much IS has evolved the UI over the last few installments. I love that since Shadow Dragon you can play with animations off but still watch them on the fly by pressing L before an attack.

I'm still bitter about Heroes of Light and Shadow never leaving Japan. I wanted some more Marth, and I though we were getting to the point where FE could be considered a staple for Nintendo consoles in the west, but noooo.
I might be part of the problem. I felt Shadow dragon was poor (though it could have been good if the graphics and balance were better oh and a plot too), and said something cynical in the post play survey like "oh I bet book 2 comes out in a years time when it should be part of this game".

Didn't we get the official announcement randomly at E3 one year? My memory is failing me right now.
It was a classic smokescreen of 2012. We'll obviously miss out Fire Emblem so Journists ask us "hey, where Fire Emblem?" instead of a more complicated question.

But they wanted the time traveling so you could have the FEIV's kid system, with out the whole butchering of the first generation.
They could go for a timeskip (just make the other mothers auto-marry) and split army like FE Gaiden had (only without the whole killing units on one side and reviving them on the other).

Then again that may be too much like radiant dawn for some...

Prax

Can't wait for the next console Fire Emblem. I think we might get another 3DS one before a WiiU happens though, which is a shame.

But maybe that will just mean an FE4/5 remake first so we can have a proper cast of offspring characters instead of this useless shoe-horned one in Awakening.

And I say that because I am still bitter about Awakening and haven't even completed it yet because a huge chunk of it feels unnecessary (I feel the children are like bonuses instead of integral to the story, which weakens the game overall). I still will finish it at some point though! Gargh!

Doran902

Just got Radiant Dawn for 10 bucks at my local video store, should I ebay the Gamecube one and play it first?

Finished Awakening and loved it.

Shengar

Just got Radiant Dawn for 10 bucks at my local video store, should I ebay the Gamecube one and play it first?

So lucky, and here I am desperately seraching for used Gamecube and Path of Radiance copy.
A Wii U Fire Emblem would be amazing. But for now I think we're just getting SMT x FE.

IS have given a clue that Nintendo might greenlit FEU though. Fingers crossed for that

Somewhat disappointed in Fire Emblem: Awakening. Decided to scrap my hard mode save and move on to lunatic. Well, I just beat chapter 3 and expected to be able to grind on bonus box teams but you only get 1 exp per hit/defeat of an enemy.

So that means the only option of grinding in lunatic mode is to buy the exp/gold dlc packs and doing it that way which just seems...lame. The $5 or whatever is negligible, aside from the crappy e-shop system, but I'm just sad that I had more fun in hard mode then I will in lunatic mode.

Chrom

No Fire Emblem Awakening community at launch is so weird.

Agreed. I was just ready to post in the community only to discover that it wasn't there yet, even though they showed it off in previous Nintendo Direct footage. Hopefully it's added soon.

Aexact

Somewhat disappointed in Fire Emblem: Awakening. Decided to scrap my hard mode save and move on to lunatic. Well, I just beat chapter 3 and expected to be able to grind on bonus box teams but you only get 1 exp per hit/defeat of an enemy.

So that means the only option of grinding in lunatic mode is to buy the exp/gold dlc packs and doing it that way which just seems...lame. The $5 or whatever is negligible, aside from the crappy e-shop system, but I'm just sad that I had more fun in hard mode then I will in lunatic mode.
Yeah, given that all the random Risen encounters are max stat monstrosities and the adjusted Bonus Box 1EXP in Lunatic/Lunatic+, sure feels like they balanced the higher difficulty modes around DLC, if you want to play the usual FE squad style.

I mean, there are exploits to get through by funneling all your EXP into making a super Avatar without DLC or slowly building EXP on Bonus Box enemies and hoping for classic weapons to sell/use from the sparkly tiles so you don't run out of weapon uses but the game really only has Normal and Hard difficulty levels. I mean, the difficulty level was labeled Lunatic for lunatics, but even in Hector Hard mode or whatever, I had more then 1-2 viable characters.

GamerSoul

Well crap. A few years ago a few blockbusters near me went out of business and they were having sales like that. I should have been more thorough :/ And It's up to you, it can be pricey but if you want to follow the story it is a good odea.

And Nino sucks.

I liked how they implemented the 2nd generation in Awakening. I hope we get something similiar in the next game for at least some characters who would actual be meant for each other. There would be no need for time skips and time travel. Only time rifts in space.

Yeah, given that all the random Risen encounters are max stat monstrosities and the adjusted Bonus Box 1EXP in Lunatic/Lunatic+, sure feels like they balanced the higher difficulty modes around DLC, if you want to play the usual FE squad style.

I mean, there are exploits to get through by funneling all your EXP into making a super Avatar without DLC or slowly building EXP on Bonus Box enemies and hoping for classic weapons to sell/use from the sparkly tiles so you don't run out of weapon uses but the game really only has Normal and Hard difficulty levels. I mean, the difficulty level was labeled Lunatic for lunatics, but even in Hector Hard mode or whatever, I had more then 1-2 viable characters.

Yea I was lucky to have a good Fem Avatar, Chrom and then Lucina later on. I grind like heck when i had no other choice. Chrom and Robin (avatar) had like a 92% chance to land an extra hit when paired at the end. I still had trouble beating the final Boss. Took a tremendous amount of resets because for Lunatic almost everything has to play out right which is rare.

FE12 had a maniac difficulty between hard and lunatic. Looking up, the FE12 lunatic would do things like add a few really annoying enemies or move a few units (so they became annoying) along with the extremely well equipped enemies (can't find much info on maniac online but it seems bosses don't get annoying forged weapons). Basically I feel the jump from hard to lunatic in Awakening would be better if there was maniac in there as well.

But the hardest difficulties, their fun is not derived from actually being able to use much of the cast since FE11 (Shadow Dragon). In FE9 Maniac I've known players to use Makalov (who I felt joined at a bad time) and even Brom (since we're talking Japanese here, Chap) and do fine with them.

Wow, that's a fantastic deal! Generally you can't get it for less than $60.

I would recommend getting Path of Radiance and playing it first if you can. It's even better than RD, and RD is a direct sequel. So from a story standpoint it makes much more sense to start with that one.

Marz

So if I download some Roms of the games not localized here in the US, will I be able to get through the games? I don't speak any Japanese but I want to try them out

So if I download some Roms of the games not localized here in the US, will I be able to get through the games? I don't speak any Japanese but I want to try them out

Yes, thanks to the power of translation patches.

Every single game has a translation, although the quality varies; FE6 and FE12 have great ones. Haven't tried the NES ones though.

Linkhero1

I'm making progress in Awakening. I'm getting more used to the mechanics. There's simply no way to advance with all units alive without partnering up. There's always that one character who dies.

Taruranto

Really want to try the Thracia stuff, but I'm afraid it's too harcore for me. I'm not a very good Tactica-RPG player and I read some terrible stuff about it. x_x

I also have to play Awakening yet, though I'll admit I'm not too found about the game... well, mostly because of the whole waifu-emblem thing.

Draxal

Really want to try the Thracia stuff, but I'm afraid it's too harcore for me. I'm not a very good Tactica-RPG player and I read some terrible stuff about it. x_x

I also have to play Awakening yet, though I'll admit I'm not too found about the game... well, mostly because of the whole waifu-emblem thing.

Waifu Emblem has been in the series since 3 and especially 4. (I should say 1, but the art was so shitty then).

I hope people realize this wasn't a recent phenomena for the series, as 15 year old girls running around in miniskirt armor really doesn't make any sense what so ever in a medieval war simulation.

Waifu Emblem has been in the series since 3 and especially 4. (I should say 1, but the art was so shitty then).

I hope people realize this wasn't a recent phenomena for the series, as 15 year old girls running around in miniskirt armor really doesn't make any sense what so ever in a medieval war simulation.

You could apply that logic to nearly every JRPG then.

ixix

I liked how they implemented the 2nd generation in Awakening. I hope we get something similiar in the next game for at least some characters who would actual be meant for each other. There would be no need for time skips and time travel. Only time rifts in space.

I might've been more amenable to it if I'd been more proactive in recruiting the second generation. As it was, by the time I started really reeling them in their parents were mostly either nearly maxed out on their first promotion or already working on their second. And then their kid shows up at level 10 unpromoted and I'm all like "Yeah Severa, you've got good reason to feel inadequate compared to your mother. Have fun on the bench."

I don't necessarily mind not having a hard generational demarcation with a fresh start, but I didn't really care for how the second gen basically inundates you with an army of under-leveled, high-potential units. If I play the game again I'll probably go out of my way to start nabbing the kiddos early, but the way it played out in my first game the second gen wasn't going to be much to speak of compared to the first unless I pretty much slammed on the brakes and did nothing but devote myself to bringing them up to par.

Shengar

Not with these sales lol.
Well they could ride FEA waves before it went down. I think with Wii U price drop, FEU could be a potential system seller at this point if they do it right.

This is why Miriel is my favorite character design-wise: she doesn't wear miniskirt.

mjc

So I'm gonna be starting up Awakening and I kinda wanna roll without permadeath. Would hard be good? I've played previous FEs...otherwise is play normal with permadeath. Not sure what way to go.

Seda

So I'm gonna be starting up Awakening and I kinda wanna roll without permadeath. Would hard be good? I've played previous FEs...otherwise is play normal with permadeath. Not sure what way to go.

I played through the game with permadeath on hard. I didn't think it was too bad, but more than once I did get a character killed by reinforcements I wasn't expecting - so playing without permadeath might alleviate some frustrations in that regard.

Codeblue

Go hard. A friend of mine played on Casual/Normal and had to restart midway through because it was too easy.

Shengar

If you wanna play on Lunatic without having so much stress, thats fine. But for Hard it isn't necessary since you can handle it without losing anyone with careful play.

GamerSoul

Hard would be the best place to start if you've played a few FE games.

I might've been more amenable to it if I'd been more proactive in recruiting the second generation. As it was, by the time I started really reeling them in their parents were mostly either nearly maxed out on their first promotion or already working on their second. And then their kid shows up at level 10 unpromoted and I'm all like "Yeah Severa, you've got good reason to feel inadequate compared to your mother. Have fun on the bench."

I don't necessarily mind not having a hard generational demarcation with a fresh start, but I didn't really care for how the second gen basically inundates you with an army of under-leveled, high-potential units. If I play the game again I'll probably go out of my way to start nabbing the kiddos early, but the way it played out in my first game the second gen wasn't going to be much to speak of compared to the first unless I pretty much slammed on the brakes and did nothing but devote myself to bringing them up to par.

I was in a similiar situation in my first playthrough. I went into this game blind so I did not know exactly how the second generation system worked so I ended up only having a handful of kids throughout the main quest. I did not mine leveling them up after seeing how one turned out so it was fun for me. I like the idea of having multiple generations in a game so I'll be up for it again even on a smaller scale.

But yea this game has a lot of useful characters with the ability to change classes so it all comes down to a matter of preference, imo.

Top Bottom