• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

Lunar15

I've been on this board for like, 4 years, and I never really saw that many conversations about PoR and RD. I was born for this thread!

Also, although I hate to admit it, Battle Save was a godsend in RD. Those maps were so long with tons of random elements, there were times when you absolutely had to use it, at least on my first playthrough.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah. Implementing it allows them to maybe for freely utilize some larger and more vicious maps, maybe, but at the same time I'm still not sure I really like in map saves. That could just be me being stubborn.

I've been on this board for like, 4 years and I never really saw that many conversations about PoR and RD. I was born for this thread!

Also, although I hate to admit it, Battle Save was a godsend in RD. Those maps were so long with tons of random elements, there were times when you absolutely had to use it, at least on my first playthrough.

Battle Save was a great addition to RD. I actually felt like it added to the strategy a bit as well. You had to be smart about WHEN to create a battle save. Otherwise you could royally screw yourself over, and force yourself to restart the map regardless. Battle saving after every turn was an awful idea, especially if you were in a potentially bad position. My battle saves were typically at least 2 or 3 turns back, or the last time I was in a relatively safe position where I could change up my strategy if needed.

This thread is making me want to replay PoR and RD...perhaps next week after finals are done.

Anybody else with me on a replay?

Lunar15

Battle Save was a great addition to RD. I actually felt like it added to the strategy a bit as well. You had to be smart about WHEN to create a battle save. Otherwise you could royally screw yourself over, and force yourself to restart the map regardless. Battle saving after every turn was an awful idea, especially if you were in a potentially bad position. My battle saves were typically at least 2 or 3 turns back, or the last time I was in a relatively safe position where I could change up my strategy if needed.

This thread is making me want to replay PoR and RD...perhaps next week after finals are done.

Yeah, you had to use battle saves at points where you knew you were progressing forward and not getting stuck.

As for a replay, I'll have to pass. I'm using the days I took off around the holidays to wrap up my current playthrough of P3. One day I'll go back to PoR, but I have no idea when. It's so much harder to go back to the console games. Like I said, a 3DS port would be real nice!

Also, yes: The Devoted is probably my favorite track from RD. It is Ike's theme to me.

I never liked the idea of Battle saves.

If you fail at one strat, you should switch to another one, not keep tweaking it based on trial and error.

Levyne

Banned
Ha. That's always a great situation. "I will just keep loading this crappy battle save until this enemy I can't avoid misses with his 95% chance!"

-_-

Ha. That's always a great situation. "I will just keep loading this crappy battle save until this enemy I can't avoid misses with his 95% chance!"

-_-

That never works though, IIRC. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the RNG makes its value picks at some point either at the start of a map or whatever. Reloading a save just picks the next numbers already chosen in the stack, so you'll get hit regardless. I think that also means you can't create a battle save right before a level up and keep hoping for different stat boosts. (Unless you do things a bit differently after loading it.)

My memory is a bit hazy, though, since it's been a long time since I played RD.

As to tweaking your battle strategy, I still feel like you can try another strategy without having to restart an entire map. It doesn't have to just be small tweaks. I think it works for RD at least, due to the size of the maps.

Gazoinks

That never works though, IIRC. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the RNG makes its value picks at some point either at the start of a map or whatever. Reloading a save just picks the next numbers already chosen in the stack, so you'll get hit regardless. I think that also means you can't create a battle save right before a level up and keep hoping for different stat boosts. (Unless you do things a bit differently after loading it.)

As to tweaking your battle strategy, I still feel like you can try another strategy without having to restart an entire map. It doesn't have to just be small tweaks. I think it works for RD at least, due to the size of the maps.

I would hope it does. The new XCom did the same thing, were the random seeds were generated at the start of the map. Although you could still manipulate it by doing things in different orders, but you have to be a really dedicated save scummer to go that far.

Fin if you don't stop dying I am going to be very upset. Go get yourself a sword and stop being a loser.

Levyne

Banned
I forget the exact specifics based on minor differences in the mechanics of GBA and the GCN/Wii entries, but I believe you could "burn" through picked values by selecting other units and letting the rng decide arrow placement by going into and out-of moveable range.

At the very least you could exhaust permutations by having other units on the map doing different things in different order to try to have the stars align.

I forget the exact specifics based on minor differences in the mechanics of GBA and the GCN/Wii entries, but I believe you could "burn" through picked values by selecting other units and letting the rng decide arrow placement by going into and out-of moveable range.

At the very least you could exhaust permutations by having other units on the map doing different things in different order to try to have the stars align.

Ah, that's right. Wasn't there some way to completely game the system by determining something about the numbers on the stack according to the arrow placement?

On another note, anybody remember the good old days of people trying to figure out who the Black Knight was?
Lots of discussions were had when it was discovered that Zelgius had stats in the game, and that they were identical to the Black Knight's. Some people said that made it obvious that he was the BK, but others said it was just a placeholder for a unit they never actually made as a playable character.

CSX

On another note, anybody remember the good old days of people trying to figure out who the Black Knight was?
Lots of discussions were had when it was discovered that Zelgius had stats in the game, and that they were identical to the Black Knight's. Some people said that made it obvious that he was the BK, but others said it was just a placeholder for a unit they never actually made as a playable character.

Those were amazing times lol

I remember watching japanese vids of radiant dawn and spoiled myself on that. Called it :p

that reminds me of a japanese vid where some guy trained the shit out of Eddie and streamrolled the chapter where you fought against
Ike's team

Busaiku

Ah, that's right. Wasn't there some way to completely game the system by determining something about the numbers on the stack according to the arrow placement?

Haha yeah, that was amazing.

Fandangox

My favorite songs from PoR/RD are Vow, Oliver's RD battle theme, and a PoR song that plays on early cutscenes, but I cannot remember the name.

Also PoR had the best promoting theme song.

I'm with you on that. I've been meaning to get through PoR (Stopped a few chapters short of the finalie) and through RD on hard. That'd be a nice way to celebrate the ending of finals.

The best aspect of the Radiance sub-series to me is the character design/art. Still the strongest in the entire series IMO.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.

It works. Radiant Dawn doesn't save seed values. If you make a battle save and keep trying the same action over and over again the result isn't fixed. If the only way you can keep a character alive is by landing a 1% chance to crit you can totally just keep trying over and over and over again until it works.

Same thing works for stat gains. Save right before a character levels up and just reload until you get what you're looking for.

Combine the two to make almost totally broken Laguz units super early: kill enemy units in their untransformed state through save-scumming, then reap the rewards of the dramatically increased experience gain they receive in whatever manner you choose. Then
have them become completely redundant in the endgame when it starts showering you with permanently transformed uber-units.

I remember once I forced Kyza, the most forgettable laguz, to have max stats.

He was still worthless.

I once had a playthrough where I tried to raise almost everyone. It was pretty fun and the laguz were actually the easiest seeing as I could leave them untransformed and punch something to level 30.

Levyne

Banned
What I used to do was clearly decide on a team of 10-15 (depending on game and difficulty) and I never ever used anyone else. I guess I was really ttrying to be some sort of min-maxer. Lately I've been trying to be more loose, using characters if they are freely given to me, and maxing out the map unit allotment even if it means bringing in a handful of "b-listers".

Gazoinks

Does anyone know how well the DS remakes of 1 & 3 did in Japan? I'd love to see remakes of the other early games, even if they probably wouldn't make it stateside (*siiiigh*). Although from playing 4, it doesn't feel like it needs it that much. Aside from the very 90s anime art, the only thing that really feels dated is the lack of trading. It basically plays like the GBA games otherwise. Still, an updated port that's less ugly than Shadow Dragon would be sweet.

In other news, I've always liked Myrmidons, but Aira is extra awesome because Shooting Star is awesome. ALL OF THE ATTACKS.
5WsJfcB.png

GamerSoul

I remember those days. I had a feeling only because the sheer size of the two. Lol. Man I would shit bricks when the Black Knight appeared. My only thought was: I hope that man does not move freely.

Fury Sense

Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting my sister a Fire Emblem game for christmas. She's not much of a gamer anymore, her latest system is the GBA SP. I'm wondering which title you'd recommend. Do any of the gba games feature Marth or Roy in any way?

Levyne

Banned
Roy is in a GBA game but unfortunately not localized. "Fire Emblem" for GBA was a prequel, the first FE game localized, and was highly regarded so that could be the best place to start.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting my sister a Fire Emblem game for christmas. She's not much of a gamer anymore, her latest system is the GBA SP. I'm wondering which title you'd recommend. Do any of the gba games feature Marth or Roy in any way?
7 has Roy's dad...

Fandangox

The best aspect of the Radiance sub-series to me is the character design/art. Still the strongest in the entire series IMO.

It is my favorite art as well.

'
Yup. Loved the design.

Gotta agree, it has some of my favorite designs in the series.

FERD_makalov.png

FERD_Nolan.png

FERD_Haar.png

FERD_devdan.png

Only thing that bothered me is that like most games with an anime style is that women had bigger eyes that did not fit most of the other cast.

FERD_Marcia.png

Marcia is still great though.

PoR&RD were so good. Whenever I hear newcomers to the series foam about
how Awakening "made the series good" I feel conflicted.

Awakening definitely has a lot of good to it. For one, it's the first FE in a while to have excellent presentation (sans some of the character design). But most of the characters have nothing more to them than a single jokey trait and the world building is shallow as hell. Then there's the introduction of the awful otaku-pandering, to a series that has been relatively restrained until now.

While I'm happy the series' future is secured, I'm a bit worried about where it's
heading now... :(

Levyne

Banned
^

This is my general sentiment as well. I mean, it's not completely new to have quirky somewhat shallow character traits, like Illyana = hungry all the time and Devdan being Devdan, but yeah it did seem to be taken a little further than I enjoyed.

Some Nobody

Awakening definitely has a lot of good to it. For one, it's the first FE in a while to have excellent presentation (sans some of the character design). But most of the characters have nothing more to them than a single jokey trait and the world building is shallow as hell. Then there's the introduction of the awful otaku-pandering, to a series that has been relatively restrained until now.

While I'm happy the series' future is secured, I'm a bit worried about where it's

Oh wow, I'm really hoping this isn't as bad as you're making it out to be. I love anime/Japanese video games, but man this overwhelming amount of moe/waifu crap from '04-present? I can't stand it.

Linkhero1

I'm stuck in Awakening. It's the first Fire Emblem game I've put any thought in and I can't continue beat Chapter 7 without a character dying. I try to put all my aces in the front to wipe out any enemy but the ones on those flying horses have so much range.

Which one is chapter 7? The one in the mountain pass? and what difficulty are you on?

Oh wow, I'm really hoping this isn't as bad as you're making it out to be. I love anime/Japanese video games, but man this overwhelming amount of moe/waifu crap from '04-present? I can't stand it.

As someone who is currently on mission 9 for the first time: It is a massive exaggeration, based on my experience thus far. Only legitimately cringeworthy thing was
A magical chick who turns into a dragon pulling the whole "even though I look like I'm about 10 I'm actually 1000 because I'm a magical dragon species and not human.
Perhaps things will get more intrusive as
marriages start to happen
? I'm not really sure.

Granted there is paid swimsuit/summer vacation dlc yes.

Codeblue

As someone who is currently on mission 9 for the first time: It is a massive exaggeration, based on my experience thus far. Only legitimately cringeworthy thing was
A magical chick who turns into a dragon pulling the whole "even though I look like I'm about 10 I'm actually 1000 because I'm a magical dragon species and not human.
Perhaps things will get more intrusive as
marriages start to happen
? I'm not really sure.

Granted there is paid swimsuit/summer vacation dlc yes.

The pairing thing isn't really intrusive.

I feel like more people consider it pandering or annoying because so many people talk about waifus and junk than the actual content in the game. I was on black out until I finished the game and didn't find anything egregious sans Nowi.

The pairing thing isn't really intrusive.

I feel like more people consider it pandering or annoying because so many people talk about waifus and junk than the actual content in the game. I was on black out until I finished the game and didn't find anything egregious sans Nowi.

I can safely say that looking into the Fire Emblem General Thread on 4chan yesterday was one of my worse internet browsing choices, yes.

I'm stuck in Awakening. It's the first Fire Emblem game I've put any thought in and I can't continue beat Chapter 7 without a character dying. I try to put all my aces in the front to wipe out any enemy but the ones on those flying horses have so much range.

If you haven't done so already, make sure you pair your units up. It's a very important mechanic for this game, especially early on when your relatively underpowered guys are being swarmed by a million units.

Linkhero1

If you haven't done so already, make sure you pair your units up. It's a very important mechanic for this game, especially early on when your relatively underpowered guys are being swarmed by a million units.

Is it much different than them standing side by side? I try to take advantage of my units being next to each other but if it's that much different I'll try this. I haven't been doing it in the past few chapters.

Seda

I agree. PoR/RD were pretty fantastic in terms of constructing the narrative and the world around it. There are numerous characters that fill roles in that narrative and there are many plot-dialogues/supports/info conversations throughout the games where several characters gain a sufficient personality. Some characters are featured more than others, yes, but it was a dramatic improvement in this regard from say, Fire Emblem 7 which was pretty much just Lyn/Eliwood/Hector. But even then, many other character backgrounds were fleshed out through the supports. Awakening's characters to me did feel more shallow just as you described, usually revolving a trait that felt gimmicky. And since many of them did /not/ really play a significant part in the narrative itself, that's all we have to go on.

But even aside from narratives and characters, I just didn't care for the pairing up system in general. I've had difficulty explaining this in the past, but generally comes down to that it feels more restricting than past games. Supports in past games were very useful of course, but units could still be effective independently if they needed to be, or if they were 'grouped' with other units outside of their 'supports'. In Awakening, it eventually comes a point where units had to be paired up to be effective and I suppose I felt that restriction limited how I could approach the maps and use my characters. And speaking of maps, I felt these were a let down after the earlier games as well. And I've already said I prefer the chapter-by-chapter progression instead of the world map.

I still think Awakening is a fine game. Much of the core SRPG gameplay is still there, but there are a number of additions that I didn't care for relative to earlier entries.

Ikon

It warms my heart to see so much discussion about Fire Emblem!

I was late to get into the series - and genre - with Path of Radiance. I've played through it plenty of times just because I'm so attached to the characters in it. For some reason though I've never been able to get hooked on Radiant Dawn. I've only played the first couple of missions but I was just so disappointed coming off the high that was PoR. Does it get better further on?

It warms my heart to see so much discussion about Fire Emblem!

I was late to get into the series - and genre - with Path of Radiance. I've played through it plenty of times just because I'm so attached to the characters in it. For some reason though I've never been able to get hooked on Radiant Dawn. I've only played the first couple of missions but I was just so disappointed coming off the high that was PoR. Does it get better further on?

RD is a bit up and down, but I'd say stick with it. Parts 2 and 3 are fantastic. Part 4 is only okay, but it does have a really good Endgame.

RD is very flawed, but still great. I really loved it.

nope, the RNG in RD does reset when battle saving, them speedrun strats

Fandangox

There's some stuff I didn't like about awakening, but the characters weren't one of them. Its the same in all Fire Emblem, there's always the characters with the seemingly quirk-only personality that get more fleshed out as you give them supports. Like Saint in 7, The blond paladin from 8 that sleeps a lot, Illyana, etc.

Characters like Gauius might seem really one dimensional at first but then you support him with multiple characters and you learn that he is a good cook and knows how to sew and knit, and learn some insights about him. Its the same in most fire emblem games.

What's wrong with Awakening was the map design and the pair up system. I think the pair up system is interesting in concept, but there's never a situation where you don't want to pair up units because in Fire Emblem its always better to have few strong units rather than more weak units susceptible to die. The only thin you are missing is a bit of versatility, but the game was easy enough for that to not matter. Kind of funny since I at first though there would be times when not pairing up would be beneficial, but there's rarely any reason not to.

I am kind of stealing the words of a friend since I at first thought maybe the versatility would be good, but the more I played I realized he was spot on what he said about it.

Top Bottom