• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

B.K.

I played the first localized GBA Fire Emblem years ago. I got to the final battle, but I hadn't done a good enough job spreading out exp to all the characters and couldn't win the final battle. I need to restart the game again someday and go through it. I've bought all the localized Fire Emblems, but I haven't played any besides the first yet.

What are the best parts from each Fire Emblems?

I think Awakening had the best music of all them, and PoR/RD had the best world (They nailed the politics). Which has ze best villlan and so on.

Chrom

I played the first localized GBA Fire Emblem years ago. I got to the final battle, but I hadn't done a good enough job spreading out exp to all the characters and couldn't win the final battle. I need to restart the game again someday and go through it. I've bought all the localized Fire Emblems, but I haven't played any besides the first yet.

I won't try to convince you to not go through with restarting the game, but I'd like to say that it ought to be very possible to beat the final chapter with just the required characters, as that is actually the only way I've ever bothered to play through it. Athos is pretty much there as a last minute crutch character and while you obviously can't solo it with him, he still comes with a lot of really powerful tomes and stuff and the chapter itself gives you really good weapons too. The lords should already be promoted and capable of using their ultimate weapons (Durandal, Armads, Sol Katti) on top of that as well, and you can't forget there's Nils if you need him too.

If you really just want to beat the game, I'd suggest giving the last chapter another try first.

GamerSoul

I have Shadow Dragon on my desk right now and almost considered putting it in my 3DS :x

Well since you have it you could always experience for yourself. lol.

What are the best parts from each Fire Emblems?

I think Awakening had the best music of all them, and PoR/RD had the best world (They nailed the politics). Which has ze best villlan and so on.

Man this could take awhlie but ill try to shorten it

FE7:
-Characters including some of the main enemy units(Four Fangs and Nino)
- music, maps
- overall pacing
-story ( I liked Lyn's part just as much as the rest of the game :3)

FE8 SS: Class branching, that one tower lol
FE9 PoR: Characters, story, music, maps
Shadow Dragon: I got to use Marth
Awakening: Characters, music, supports, freedom
Edit: Oh yea, I've been meaning to ask. Where does the phrase in the title come from?

Gazoinks

I'm only up to level 2, but Fire Emblem 4 is awesome so far. Even from the first battle, the large maps, castle mechanics, and large number of enemies really makes it feel like it's on a larger scale. I think I actually prefer the graphics of 4&5 to the GBA games. The GBA games have nicer portraits, but I prefer the more earthy tones used in the SNES games to the brighter look of the GBA ones.

Also, weapon repairing. <3

Lunar15

It's not that I don't wanna play PoR! I've heard tons of good things about it. It's just that it's a pretty rare game and it's really not "I'll pay a hundred bucks for it" want to me.

It really is a shame. I was able to find it used somewhere and was able to avoid the whole mess. But yeah, it's honestly my favorite FE game, and I've lent it out to a bunch of people. I hope one day you could find it.

I keep meaning to play FE4, but the existence of the Pursuit skill keeps putting me off. That and the lack of modern trading. One of these days I'll get around to it, since everyone says it's so good, but ughhh I don't want Pursuit to exist.

ohlawd

yeah I can't do this.

Next week ima visit this big game store nearby and ask them straight up "hey motherfuckers I know you're holding PoR and RD hostage in your storage room sell them to me"

Lunar15

I have no idea how someone who has only played Awakening would take previous games in the series. There is a general rigidness and lack of freedom that, personally, I think makes them stronger games, but could feel incredibly limiting to someone used to the freedom afforded by Awakening.

Gazoinks

I have no idea how someone who has only played Awakening would take previous games in the series. There is a general rigidness and lack of freedom that, personally, I think makes them stronger games, but could feel incredibly limiting to someone used to the freedom afforded by Awakening.

I haven't played Awakening, what sort of freedom does it have? Is it an open world map like SS?

Edit: Oh yea, I've been meaning to ask. Where does the phrase in the title come from?

O3cMXYi.jpg

STUFF IT, SPONGE-BRAIN!!! NO MORE LAME EXCUSES!!! FOLLOW ME!!! NOW!!!

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
My copy of PoR is still in mint condition~

My only Gamecube game that's not an extra copy of Tales of Symphony in mint condition. I'm proud of you young Kincaido. Bought a used copy of Radiant Dawn for about $60 earlier this year. Still need to play it though since I don't have a Wii.

Lunar15

I haven't played Awakening, what sort of freedom does it have? Is it an open world map like SS?

It's an open world map like SS, with ample opportunities for grinding as there are plenty of "skirmishes" about the map with NPC's and street passed armies.

It also has the class change system from SS, and you can jump around classes fairly easily and rack up wildly different skills for your unit. You can make some intensely overpowered units fairly easily.

They also have the marriage system which comes from FE4. Children who appear have traits from the parents, so you can figure out how to make nearly impossible trait combinations in the children. This kind of results in a lot of stilted support convo dialogue where all of a sudden everyone decides to get married. There's still a lot of good writing though.

Basically, the game allows you to grind and experiment. It's not a bad thing by any means, but I personally prefer the constant question of how you are going to share EXP across characters and prepare them for the longer campaign.

ohlawd

My copy of PoR is still in mint condition~

My only Gamecube game that's not an extra copy of Tales of Symphony in mint condition. I'm proud of you young Kincaido. Bought a used copy of Radiant Dawn for about $60 earlier this year. Still need to play it though since I don't have a Wii.

I wanna smack young me. I wasn't into any kind of RPGs until much later in my stillborn life. Interested? Sure but not enough to explore the trenches ;_;

Zalman

I got into the series with Awakening and it's still the only game I've played. I decided, hey, I'd like to play that GameCube game, so I go to eBay and... yeah. That's way too much.

GamerSoul

Sooo pricey. :/ it's a shame I tell you. Nintendo needs to capitalize on this game before its too late.

Why does Nah's chapter have to be so damn annoying. Man I hate those walls and dark knights. I'm determined to make her my waifu this playthrough. Lol.

STUFF IT, SPONGE-BRAIN!!! NO MORE LAME EXCUSES!!! FOLLOW ME!!! NOW!!!

Lol nice.

Lunar15

Awakening has the best overall soundtrack, but man RD had some damn good tracks:

On Glory's Wings
Battle of Pride
The Devoted
The Ascent
Wheeling Corby

But seriously, Awakening felt like it was written by an entirely different team. Such a letdown. Remember Naesala? I thought his arc was fascinating, personally. FE games were pretty good at shedding light on the enemy as well, and I feel like Awakening totally dropped the ball on that as well.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
I would buy a Wii U right now if they put FE on there.

I wanna smack young me. I wasn't into any kind of RPGs until much later in my stillborn life. Interested? Sure but not enough to explore the trenches ;_;

That was pretty much all I played when I was younger lol.

I'm quite fond of the guy in my avatar.
Although the end of his arc was utterly unsatisfying for me. I loved his flashbacks they showed in RD endgame, but there was still no real resolution in my mind as to why he killed Greil. Just wanting to prove that he was the strongest felt shallow. And the utter lack of any reaction from Micaiah to that put a bad taste in my mouth. I mean, given how much she loved him before, she must've had SOMETHING to say when Ike killed him...Micaiah and co. really got shafted post Part 1.

Oh man, I love this song so much. It personifies Radiant Dawn for me.

I have such a love-hate relationship with Radiant Dawn. There's parts about it that I absolutely love. And then there are things in it that make me want to tear my hair out in frustration.

Regardless, I love how many chances they took with that game. I ultimately love it despite its glaring flaws.

I cry myself to sleep every night remembering that it was the worst selling FE game of all time. Super glad that Awakening was successful enough for Nintendo to not can the franchise, or put it on the shelf for the next 10 years.

Also, I just remembered that Radiant Dawn's original OT way back in 2007 was the reason I registered for GAF in the first place. Interesting full circle.

Lunar15

RD is basically: "Here, get invested in these new characters with their own struggles and complex... OH, IKE'S BACK? OH MAN FORGET THOSE GUYS, LET'S GREIL MERC THIS SHIT UP"

Real Talk: Although this would never happen, I would love it if Nintendo remade PoR and RD for the 3DS. I love both those games, but there's something about them being on console that makes them harder to pick up and replay. Plus, those games sold awful on the GC, and need much more attention.

RD is basically: "Here, get invested in these new characters with their own struggles and complex... OH, IKE'S BACK? OH MAN FORGET THOSE GUYS, LET'S GREIL MERC THIS SHIT UP"

I do love me some Greil Mercenaries, but seriously, why did they include the Dawn Brigade and give them their own part only to have them relegated to the back seat for the next 2/3rds of the game?

Edward? Nolan? Who are they?

I think the game would have been better if it focused only on the Dawn Brigade or the Greil Mercenaries, rather than trying to do both. Also, less characters would have been fine if they had included proper support convos.

Still...it led to the battles where you're fighting your own army from the other side. Those were pretty cool.

Lunar15

I do love me some Greil Mercenaries, but seriously, why did they include the Dawn Brigade and give them their own part only to have them relegated to the back seat for the next 2/3rds of the game?

Edward? Nolan? Who are they?

I think the game would have been better if it focused only on the Dawn Brigade or the Greil Mercenaries, rather than trying to do both. Also, less characters would have been fine if they had included proper support convos.

Still...it led to the battles where you're fighting your own army from the other side. Those were pretty cool.

I remember getting to the end game and everyone was a mess because at one point you're controlling 3 different armies that are totally split up. It was the messiest dang game in the series, but I enjoyed it as a conclusion to PoR. Not having support convos was the worst thing about the game though. So disappointing.

I remember getting to the end game and everyone was a mess because at one point you're controlling 3 different armies that are totally split up. It was the messiest dang game in the series, but I enjoyed it as a conclusion to PoR. Not having support convos was the worst thing about the game though. So disappointing.

Haha, and remember the mysterious omnipresent convoy you had during Part 4 that somehow shared items between your 3 armies?

They definitely bit off more then they could chew with RD...the game was just too big and had too many characters. It was messy, like you said. I still love it despite all of that though. PoR is still my "perfect" Fire Emblem game, though. I think it'll be hard for them to ever make a FE game that'll top that one in my eyes...

FE7, 9, and 12 were the best in terms of gameplay and level design imo (nothing to do with plot/characters). FE5 has some of the most varied level design but sometimes the gameplay feels rough around the edges.

FE7, 9, and 12 were the best in terms of gameplay and level design imo (nothing to do with plot/characters). FE5 has some of the most varied level design but sometimes the gameplay feels rough around the edges.

Is 5 as challenging as people say? im guessing it can get rough with bad RNG but It seems kinda fun.

Cody_D165

Banned
Fantastic OP.

My favorites are between Sacred Stones and Awakening.

I'm on the lookout for a copy of Radiant Dawn that isn't godawful expensive these days. It's the only NA-released Fire Emblem I'm missing. Really regret not picking it up when it was released :x

You guys might appreciate this one - got this in a trade with a friend recently. Still sealed! I know it's like the the most hated FE but whatever :p

GEDC0810_zpsf5c3c928.jpg

Is 5 as challenging as people say? im guessing it can get rough with bad RNG but It seems kinda fun.

The primary source of difficulty in Thracia 776 is not so much based upon the discrepancy between your army's stats and your enemy's, but rather the sheer amount of hell raising situations the game tends to throw you in. To illustrate:

Chapter 4 (as in, the actual 4th level of the game)
has most of your army trapped in prison cells across the map with their equipment stuck in other prison cells. You have to manipulate the three characters that are not locked in to break the rest of your team out, while reinforcements are flooding in every turn. Any character that's unequipped will be instantly recaptured by the enemy if confronted. After you break them out and get back their equipment, you then have to break through a squadron of armor equipped enemies in order to reach the exit point. You have to get all of your other characters out of the map before the lord does, otherwise anyone left behind will be captured by the enemy.

And that's just the game's nice way of preparing you for the rest of the game.

MogCakes

The primary source of difficulty in Thracia 776 is not so much based upon the discrepancy between your army's stats and your enemy's, but rather the sheer amount of hell raising situations the game tends to throw you in.

Even the game's name is foreboding.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Shadow Dragon has Marth and that alone elevates it above a lot of other video games.

Elite mode w/ no rank is not that bad if you're prepared. Non-elite ranked (SSS rank) is very difficult. The general consensus is FE12 Lunatic' is the most difficult of the series modes, but FE5 SSS is not far behind.

Difficulty varies depending if you're going for ranks, LTC, etc.

kswiston

Elite mode w/ no rank is not that bad if you're prepared. Non-elite ranked (SSS rank) is very difficult. The general consensus is FE12 Lunatic' is the most difficult of the series modes, but FE5 SSS is not far behind.

Difficulty varies depending if you're going for ranks, LTC, etc.

Someone should rank the games on base difficulty. Only fans are going to attempt Lunatic, SSS, etc.

FE Awakening is definitely the easiest if you decide to play on Normal.

Shengar

Someone should rank the games on base difficulty. Only fans are going to attempt Lunatic, SSS, etc.

FE Awakening is definitely the easiest if you decide to play on Normal.

Normal Awakening is the new Easy since there isn't easy option right?

kswiston

Normal Awakening is the new Easy since there isn't easy option right?

It is, but Normal Awakening is a lot easier than easy in Path of Radiance, or Radiant Dawn.

In Fire Emblem 7/FE GBA, you could end up with an unbeatable game if you let too many units die, or you let Marcus suck up too much too much XP in the early parts of the game. It's pretty much impossible to end up in that situation in the newer games due to an abundance of units and easier difficulty in general.

Whilst I've heard and briefly played previous games (half an hour at someone else's place), Awakening was my first entry to the franchise.

Has there been any word on more entries? I recall reading, just recently, that everything hinged on the success of Awakening, and it did relatively well. So can we expect another in a couple of years, or is it gonna be a 4 year+ life cycle?

Top Bottom