• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Same here
Yum
MOzwEuX.jpg

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Marth is too suave for the hate in this thread. Don't kill the messenger.

I liked Shadow Dragon, too. I have yet to play a Fire Emblem game that I didn't like. Awesome, awesome series.

Levyne

Banned
Why is Dart vs Guy the choice? I remember the big thing being Raven vs Guy.

Though to be honest I liked throwing Karel or....the other Hero into the party. Just liked their designs more.

I should've clarified, I felt it was more of a NoA/NoE issue. Have they ever attempted it there? I feel they don't have the balls to do it internationally. I do recall when checking for censorship that were some kind of localisation in one of the games that more or less changed the implication of one female character saying she preferred women.

If I may use Square Enix as a recent example, they won't include same-sex stuff in FFXIV because of what they feel is a sales issue in certain locations from what I understood.

It would be really cool.
Well, I would hope that companies wouldn't make a habit of pandering to bigotry. If it makes sense for the game, and it does, they should include it. Worrying about what some close minded individuals think isn't gonna help anything progress.

And the sales excuse doesn't really cut it because some of the most successful games in recent years (ex. The Sims, Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age) all have same sex pairing mechanics.

Now it's just up to Nintendo to have the guts and foresight to go through with it.

Firemind

Why is Dart vs Guy the choice? I remember the big thing being Raven vs Guy.

Though to be honest I liked throwing Karel or....the other Hero into the party. Just liked their designs more.

They're both crit happy. Besides, Raven is an asshole who tried to kill Hector. It's all about Harken. Dem HM bonuses.

Urgh....why wouldn't Nintendo release HD version of PoR and RD ;__;

Personally hoping PoR and RD come to the 3DS.

Don't get me wrong, I would love seeing them remade in HD as well.

But I enjoy playing Fire Emblem games far more on handhelds, then on consoles.

So, getting into Awakening, what are the major differences with this and other FE's?

Specifically, what are the major disappointments? Anything left out? Watered down? Removed? Made easier? Is the game longer than most predecessors?

Firemind

So, getting into Awakening, what are the major differences with this and other FE's?

Specifically, what are the major disappointments? Anything left out? Watered down? Removed? Made easier? Is the game longer than most predecessors?

Lack of strategy. Yes. Yes, unless you like dating sims. Rescuing giving negative bonuses. Yes. No clue.

The story's a bit weaker than past games.
Some characters basically get shafted in the story itself (which well I guess isn't anything new)
Lack of a magic triangle
Lack of custom colors for pretty much everyone when they are outside their starting class and promotions
The animation in battle gets pretty stale and boring

Chrom

Just want to say that I'm glad to see that this thread is going places. Got the idea to make this from a random suggestion in a recent FE thread earlier today and it struck me as odd that a thread like this wasn't a thing yet and it made me wonder if it was because it didn't seem very viable.

Shengar

Let's be real, bro.

That shit would sell like 10 copies
I'd buy two copies
. And someone's gonna mention Awakening's sales in here I just know it.
I'll buy five
People need easier access to FE classics, $100 for old games isn't exactly good to the series new comers.

Seda

Just want to say that I'm glad to see that this thread is going places. Got the idea to make this from a random suggestion in a recent FE thread earlier today and it struck me as odd that a thread like this wasn't a thing yet and it made me wonder if it was because it didn't seem very viable.

Actually the thought of having a Community Thread crossed my mind as well when that 'Fire Emblem Series' thread popped up. Glad you made one.

Gazoinks

I'll buy five
People need easier access to FE classics, $100 for old games isn't exactly good to the series new comers.

Yeah, between the untranslated classics and the pricey other classics, it's not exactly accessible outside of a few games. Get on it, Nintendo!

CSX

Greatest SRPG series I ever played. Played from GBA series to Awakening.

Game mechanics are simple and perfect. To me, it is Nintendo's greatest franchise and system seller. A franchise I dont mind being milked yearly :p

- Game is made to easy with the different possible options for grinding and numerous other ways you can break the game. You could always ignore them though.
- Maps are the same "Rout the enemy" with no variety like in past games.
- Soldier class from PoR/RD is missing, replaced with the incredibly underwhelming Villager.
- Story really drops in quality after Chapter 11.
- Animation is a real step down. Only really decent one is Lethality.
- Characters can be a real hit or miss depending on your opinion.
- About as long as any other FE game (excluding DLC).

Wow, some pretty critical opinions here :/

...I'm guessing Nintendo is too dumb-dumb to have put up any other Fire Emblems on the 3DS eshop?

Wouldn't mind getting a cheaper, superior version to play for the time being..

ohlawd

...I'm guessing Nintendo is too dumb-dumb to have put up any other Fire Emblems on the 3DS eshop?

I'm pretty damn critical of Awakening but it's still one of the few good games to come out this year. It's worth playing.

When I was replayed Path of Radiance a couple months back I thought the same thing. Well, that and the game isn't really a graphical marvel. I couldn't really see the game benefiting from HD at all.

Gazoinks

I'm pretty damn critical of Awakening but it's still one of the few good games to come out this year. It's worth playing.

It's kind of funny, because outside of this thread I've heard nearly unanimous praise. :p I guess that's partly because it's working as an ambassador title.

Yeah I gotta agree with this. Console game is good and all, but Fire Emblem is better off being handheld series.

Well, keep in mind, you asked us to find faults with this game. And this is only really stuff I thought of after playing the game for over 250+ hours.

So I mean, I obviously enjoyed the game and even with all the short comings it has, it was still a fun game.

And I still have to do another female protag run to get the_rest_of all the support convos...

Moonlight

Banned
Awakening is absolutely worth your time and money and I won't back down from that, but in terms of simple strategy mechanics relative to the rest of the series, there's definitely not tons of depth.

That said, I'm kind of a terrible FE fan. I've never played Path of Radiance or Radiant Dawn. FE has been firmly a portable experience for me since FE7.

TWILT

Banned

Awakening's still a really great game (still one of my GotYs) despite it's problems, so don't get discouraged from playing it. Tons of content, enjoyable characters, really addicting, and still a great entry for a newcomer.

Personally, I loved Awakening more than the GBA games.

Oh of course, I most definitely will, thanks :)

I figure the core fans will be quite critical, but I very much enjoy reading the opinions. I figure that these franchises water down the core quality these days, so I thought I'd ask. Not that it should bother me as a new fan/very inexperienced player, but I just like to know.

Awakening is absolutely worth your time and money and I won't back down from that, but in terms of simple strategy mechanics relative to the rest of the series, there's definitely not a whole lot of depth to be found.

That said, I'm kind of a terrible FE fan. I've never played Path of Radiance or Radiant Dawn. FE has been firmly a portable experience for me since FE7.

Yeah, that's the problem with Awakening. I certainly got my money's worth and enjoyed playing it, but compared to its predecessors it leaves a lot to be desired.

And yes, you are doing yourself a great disservice by not playing Path of Radiance. That said, I have yet to play Radiant Dawn, despite having a copy of the game sitting on my shelf.

Shengar

Yeah, the game have so many flaws, especially the cringeworthy story, but it still solid game of this year nonetheless. We get less and less strategy games like FE these days, so just treat yourself.

I like them on both. The Tellius duology pretty much destroys* the other entries for me, and they're on consoles. I'll play these more times than I probably will the handheld ones.

*overstatement. Minus Shadow Dragon, all the localized games have been glorious.

Yeah, that's the problem with Awakening. I certainly got my money's worth and enjoyed playing it, but compared to its predecessors it leaves a lot to be desired.

And yes, you are doing yourself a great disservice by not playing Path of Radiance. That said, I have yet to play Radiant Dawn, despite having a copy of the game sitting on my shelf.
Get on it!

Moonlight

Banned
It's not that I don't wanna play PoR! I've heard tons of good things about it. It's just that it's a pretty rare game and it's really not "I'll pay a hundred bucks for it" want to me.

I like them on both. The Tellius duology pretty much destroys* the other entries for me, and they're on consoles. I'll play these more times than I probably will the handheld ones.

*overstatement. Minus Shadow Dragon, all the localized games have been glorious.

Get on it!

But... I'm playing Persona 4... :(

I played like, Awakening and Path of Radiance back-to-back and just finished the latter like last month. I need to take a breather. lol

It's not that I don't wanna play PoR! I've heard tons of good things about it. It's just that it's a pretty rare game and it's really not "I'll pay a hundred bucks for it" want to me.

Ah, I can understand that. I got the game back when it was new, but if it was now I'd probably be hesitant as well. It seriously is a great game though.

I keep reading Shadow Dragon like some sort of abomination. Why and what makes it bad actually?
"Bad" is an exaggeration; it's just really boring.

Localization is top-notch as always, but the game feels so lifeless, and that's in part because everyone is kind of boring. Not to mention that in order to access the gaiden chapters, you have to kill your units and have a certain number in your stock, or else you'll completely miss them. That was probably the hardest thing for me to do. Also--and this is just personal preference--the art was mostly ugly. Portraits were fine, but the actual drawn art was really... different.

The actual biggest thing is the gameplay. There is no rescuing (iirc), shoving, or other things we've come to know in the series, probably because it's a remake of the first game. But they could have updated the mechanics. They didn't, and it suffered, honestly. It just felt lacking.

Shadow Dragon was so blargh. If you were to have suggested a Fire Emblem game where you were actually encouraged to kill off your units before that game was released, you would have been laughed at.

A lot of missed opportunity. They could have really have made something more of the story and characters.

Codeblue

I keep reading Shadow Dragon like some sort of abomination. Why and what makes it bad actually?

It's pretty much a port of the NES game. It's dated and hasn't aged well in the face of all the great things the series has done.

It's by no means a bad game though.

Shengar

Forced to kill a unit, and here I keep soft-resetting when shit happens even though my other units gained excellent growth :/

Forced to kill a unit, and here I keep soft-resetting when shit happens even though my other units gained excellent growth :/

Not just an unit, but pretty much after the second gaiden chapter, with the rate you get new characters, you'll either have to refuse everyone or send a good chunk of your party out to die just to meet the requirements to unlock them.

I mean, it's pretty odd that it is the only game in the series that excuses players from playing terribly and letting people die with the gaiden chapter requirements and the fact you can actually get replacement generics if your party numbers less than the number of characters you can deploy in a chapter. Though, it's still pretty much a downward spiral since the replacements are pretty terrible too, lol.

I'm the same way. I realized I would never get the opportunity to experience the gaiden chapters because I'm too OCD to let anyone die.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
I have Shadow Dragon on my desk right now and almost considered putting it in my 3DS :x

Top Bottom