• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

kswiston

Whilst I've heard and briefly played previous games (half an hour at someone else's place), Awakening was my first entry to the franchise.

Has there been any word on more entries? I recall reading, just recently, that everything hinged on the success of Awakening, and it did relatively well. So can we expect another in a couple of years, or is it gonna be a 4 year+ life cycle?

Worldwide, Awakening was probably the best selling entry in the history of the series. It was getting close to passing Fire Emblem GBA in the US last I heard, and was the best selling entry in over 20 years in Japan. No idea about European sales, but I would imagine that they were pretty good as well.

I would definitely expect another 3DS game at some point. Fire Emblem Awakening came out in April 2012 (in Japan). They may want to push FExSMT first, but I am expecting another entry by 2015 at the latest.

PsionBolt

It is, but Normal Awakening is a lot easier than easy in Path of Radiance, or Radiant Dawn.

In Fire Emblem 7/FE GBA, you could end up with an unbeatable game if you let too many units die, or you let Marcus suck up too much too much XP in the early parts of the game. It's pretty much impossible to end up in that situation in the newer games due to an abundance of units and easier difficulty in general.

It's pretty hard to end up in an unbeatable situation even in FE7. The pre-promoted units are quite good in that game. This guy does videos of FE playthroughs altered to give everyone 0% growths, and he manages to pull through even on the harder difficulties. Of course, most of his offense comes from promoted units, including pre-promotes.

Still, you're definitely right that the series has been getting consistently easier on normal difficulty for a long while. Awakening is a total joke in the late game, thanks to skills like Lightning Speed and ridiculous 400+ growth totals.

Chrom

Yep, the title comes from Marcia. :p

Spent a long time coming up with something that sounded funny but also wasn't too long, and that's what I got.

The next game reeeeaaally needs to be on Wii U instead of 3DS. I want to see a Fire Emblem with modern presentation with an actual budget allocated to it!

Too bad Nintendo will never let that happen.

Shengar

The next game reeeeaaally needs to be on Wii U instead of 3DS. I want to see a Fire Emblem with modern presentation with an actual budget allocated to it!

Too bad Nintendo will never let that happen.

Isn't there an interview with one of the IS key staff which he said that FE WiiU could reach a million mark? Total exaggeration of course, but I think Nintendo might actually want to greenlit FE Wii U.

Chrom

The only hurdle I'm aware of regarding a Wii U Fire Emblem being developed is that Intelligent Systems would like for the game to be able to sell at least 700k in order for it to be profitable.

kswiston

It's pretty hard to end up in an unbeatable situation even in FE7. The pre-promoted units are quite good in that game. This guy does videos of FE playthroughs altered to give everyone 0% growths, and he manages to pull through even on the harder difficulties. Of course, most of his offense comes from promoted units, including pre-promotes.

Still, you're definitely right that the series has been getting consistently easier on normal difficulty for a long while. Awakening is a total joke in the late game, thanks to skills like Lightning Speed and ridiculous 400+ growth totals.

It's not that hard if it is the first time you have played the series. I have seen people do it. I think us series veterans sometimes forget that not everyone knows how to play the second they pick up the game.

Same goes with Final Fantasy Tactics, which I have heard more than one person complain about as far as difficulty goes (despite being easily exploitable). Even on GAF you have people complaining about the difficulty.

Chrom

I think when I beat my first FE (FE7), I still wasn't able to wrap my head around how stats worked or even tell the difference between being able to attack more than once in a battle or not. The latter in particular is funny in retrospect because I don't think the game could've made it any more clearer.

Quick question. I hear a lot about the kids of Fire Emblem Awakening, but I only got the marth knock off. I've married off plenty of characters and I beat the game. What am I missing? Why won't they get busy?

Quick question. I hear a lot about the kids of Fire Emblem Awakening, but I only got the marth knock off. I've married off plenty of characters and I beat the game. What am I missing? Why won't they get busy?

That's strange. Normally, after you get the S rank support for a particular couple a side quest should automatically appear on the map which gives you the kid. That's very odd if it's not happening for you.

McNum

Keep progressing the story. You'll get access to them eventually.

Also, great idea with a Fire Emblem community thread. It's one of those things that now that it's here, you have to wonder why it wasn't made sooner.

I entered this thread to spread the good word about Path of Radiance, yet I need not as many others have already done so, i'm pleased.

kswiston

Did you play the bonus maps/paralogues?

EDIT: You have to be at a certain point in the game as well. Ch 11 or 13. Can't remember the exact number now.

NeonZ

I'm quite fond of the guy in my avatar.
Although the end of his arc was utterly unsatisfying for me. I loved his flashbacks they showed in RD endgame, but there was still no real resolution in my mind as to why he killed Greil. Just wanting to prove that he was the strongest felt shallow. And the utter lack of any reaction from Micaiah to that put a bad taste in my mouth. I mean, given how much she loved him before, she must've had SOMETHING to say when Ike killed him...Micaiah and co. really got shafted post Part 1.

She doesn't even get a farewell scene with
Yune
either. Micaiah basically doesn't appear in any of the out of map conversations in Radiant Dawn's final chapters. It's always
Yune speaking through her body.

It really seemed like they intended to make a game with two protagonists, but midway through decided to make Ike the only protagonist, but were too lazy/late to go back and tweak the first parts of the game to support that. Maybe it was when they learned that Ike would appear in Smash Bros? That was the first thing I thought due to the epilogue using a picture with Path of Radiance Ike's design, rather than either of his Radiant Dawn designs.

Brutalx2

Played it a while ago, really really good game! The moment you play it you actually can't stop!

P.S. Tharja is the best !

kswiston

I'm hoping that FE14 brings back the mission variety. I'm not sure why they decided to do away with that in FE11-13.

Chrom

I'm hoping that FE14 brings back the mission variety. I'm not sure why they decided to do away with that in FE11-13.

Well FE11 and FE12 were remakes of games that had yet to introduce varied mission objectives so I'd like to think it's understandable why the remakes were still like that. FE13 however I think has less of an excuse.

kswiston

Well FE11 and FE12 were remakes of games that had yet to introduce varied mission objectives so I'd like to think it's understandable why the remakes were still like that. FE13 however I think has less of an excuse.

FE11 and 12 changed enough stuff from the originals, that they could have spiced up the variety a bit.

Chrom

FE11 and 12 changed enough stuff from the originals, that they could have spiced up the variety a bit.

That's true but I imagine changing mission objectives there would be almost too significant of a change. If anything I think it would've made most sense to include the new objectives in the new chapters added for the remakes, but I don't believe they did.

kswiston

That's true but I imagine changing mission objectives there would be almost too significant of a change. If anything I think it would've made most sense to include the new objectives in the new chapters added for the remakes, but I don't believe they did.

Either way, assuming the next game continues in the universe set up in Awakening, I would like to see a variety of missions.

All of the themes in the tower near the end were really good.

Divine Healing

Also, Radiant Dawn had an AWESOME intro cutscene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emZmf6f3q0Y

The intro cutscene was great, but the later cutscene at the start of Ike's chapters is the best cutscene in all of Fire Emblem, even with the corny voice acting (SPOILERS): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgvNwec-9bA

I love PoR/RD so much...I like them all but these two games sit head and shoulders above the rest of the series for me.

Socreges

Banned
The problem with Fire Emblem, for me, is that it is the furthest thing from 'pick up n play'. When I play, I get engrossed, and shuck off any other responsibilities or hobbies. Often I'll put in loads of hours into a Fire Emblem, realise I need to step away for a few days, but then be reluctant to return and get consumed again. So I don't return for months, or even years. Both FE7 and FE9 were games that I loved, but I finished both several years after first playing them.

Meanwhile FE10, FE12 and FE13 are all excellent games that I've sunk serious time into, but am tentative to continue. Partly because of the huge time commitment and partly because it's been so much time that I'd probably just rather start over.

TrueBlue

Got into the series with Awakening this year, and really enjoyed it. Of course, I'm a big ignorant to how it compares to the other games in the series, but I'm looking forward to future installments. I'm even considering getting SMT 4 if it ever releases in Europe to prepare for the upcoming crossover.

The intro cutscene was great, but the later cutscene at the start of Ike's chapters is the best cutscene in all of Fire Emblem, even with the corny voice acting (SPOILERS): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgvNwec-9bA

I love PoR/RD so much...I like them all but these two games sit head and shoulders above the rest of the series for me.

I marked out for the eventual arrival of the Greil Mercenaries in Radiant Dawn, after slogging through the trials of the Dawn Brigade getting Ike and Co back was all the sweeter.

I'm always in two minds regarding Radiant Dawn, it's a huge game with many varied maps, a great slice of Fire Emblem for sure. But damn could some of those big maps be tedious, lots of waiting for the much larger amounts of enemies or allies to shuffle around as well as some missions where I felt so underpowered it was like a series of stall wars. The Price being the most damning example I can think of, two big armies of enemies and allies slowly chipping away at each other, me with a piss weak Dawn Brigade lineup and a criteria for 40 kills, it's like my anti-fun.
The game goes back and forth between stuff like this and maps where you can power through which is odd, I guess it demonstrates the varying power levels of each group if anything as well as alternative play styles you need to adopt depending on the situation.

Their world and characters are my own favorite by a long shot. Less so RD as the story kinda crapped on what was established in PoR, but hey.

STUFF IT, SPONGE-BRAIN!!! NO MORE LAME EXCUSES!!! FOLLOW ME!!! NOW!!!

I can't believe I didn't catch that quote earlier. I kept thinking it was something from Awakening. :/

Marcia is awesome, though.

I was talking to a friend about this late last night, but I think my biggest problem with Shadow Dragon was that I was expecting something similar to Metroid: Zero Mission--basically taking the original game and reimagining it with what were now staple features, and providing a fresh take on the story and characters. Instead they took a coat of paint and threw it on the game, added a class changing system (which I wasn't that crazy for, honestly), told you to kill off your units to access bonus chapters, and called it a day.

Apparently the remake of FE3 was a bit more bold, but since it never got a western release due to SD's abysmal sales, I don't really know too much.

kswiston

I was talking to a friend about this late last night, but I think my biggest problem with Shadow Dragon was that I was expecting something similar to Metroid: Zero Mission--basically taking the original game and reimagining it with what were now staple features, and providing a fresh take on the story and characters. Instead they took a coat of paint and threw it on the game, added a class changing system (which I wasn't that crazy for, honestly), told you to kill off your units to access bonus chapters, and called it a day.

Apparently the remake of FE3 was a bit more bold, but since it never got a western release due to SD's abysmal sales, I don't really know too much.

The fan translation for FE12 is very well done. I'd recommend playing it.

Admittedly, I'm pretty slow on the fan translation scene, haha. It's not something I pay particular attention to. Heck, I just found out they completed the fan translation for Ys 5 like last night, and that was something I had my eye on for a while.

Kater

Banned
Stopped playing Fire Emblem Awakening after 500 hours. My first Fire Emblem game, and a good starting point for newcomers, I think.
Oh, and Brady & Henry are my favourite characters overall.

Chrom

Cynthia from Awakening also talks about crackers too when she's defeated in Casual apparently. Probably a nod to Marcia.

Gazoinks

Guys I suck at FE4, guys. ;_; I'm not sure whether the GBA games were easier, it's because I haven't played a FE game in a long time, or because of the scale of the battles, but peeps keep dyin' and I keep resettin'. :p

Also the game gives you two spear uses from the get-go even though you're only fighting axers in the beginning like every FE game. Meanies.

Between permadeath and random stat gains, FE seems designed to annoy OCD gamers.

Guys I suck at FE4, guys. ;_; I'm not sure whether the GBA games were easier, it's because I haven't played a FE game in a long time, or because of the scale of the battles, but peeps keep dyin' and I keep resettin'. :p

Also the game gives you two spear uses from the get-go even though you're only fighting axers in the beginning like every FE game. Meanies.

Between permadeath and random stat gains, FE seems designed to annoy OCD gamers.

Oh my goodness, do people soft-reset if their level ups dissatisfy them? There are entire universes of OCD that I never imagined.

Lunar15

PoR had some good songs too:

Change of Scenery
Crimea Attacks
Rally the Spirit
Power Hungry Fool

One thing I liked about PoR and RD's OST's is that they had really great percussion. Always sounded like battle marches, which was perfect.

I believe both soundtracks were composed by Yuka Tsujiyoko and Yoshito Hirano, who also composed the Paper Mario games together. Those also have incredibly good OST's. Hirano went on to work on Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, and some songs in that sound straight out of Radiant Dawn:

Forsythe's Theme from Days of Ruin

Seriously, if I told you this was in RD, you would have believed me. Days of Ruin has a great OST. If you really loved RD's ost, but wanted more guitars, then it's for you.

Gazoinks

I love that the lyrics to the opera version of the FE theme in the OT are gameplay tips:
"Fire Emblem, tough simulation
When you'll begin playing it, you won't be able to sleep anymore

Put too much effort on powerful people,
And your warriors on the whole will only be novices"

PoR had some good songs too:

Change of Scenery
Crimea Attacks
Rally the Spirit
Power Hungry Fool

One thing I liked about PoR and RD's OST's is that they had really great percussion. Always sounded like battle marches, which was perfect.

I believe both soundtracks were composed by Yuka Tsujiyoko and Yoshito Hirano, who also composed the Paper Mario games together. Those also have incredibly good OST's. Hirano went on to work on Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, and some songs in that sound straight out of Radiant Dawn:

Forsythe's Theme from Days of Ruin Seriously, if I told you this was in RD, you would have believed me. Days of Ruin has a great OST. If you really loved RD's ost, but wanted more guitars, then it's for you.

Great choices. Here's another I like:

Plight

Now I'm going to have to go listen to a bunch of FE9 music, because there's one map song that's stuck in my head, but I can't remember the name of it...

Top Bottom