• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

Lusankya

If this was Disgaea or Neptunia I wouldn't mind dialogue like this, but *cringe*:

Ca66LoPUcAA4sY9.jpg

Well, it's direct speech, so it depends on the character, no?

On durability's removal: Really glad weapons have traits other than Mt / Hit now, but even without, I'm okay with it.

It wrecked game balance because, far as I can tell, IntSys always assumed you were stuck with Iron because they feared you might go overboard and destroy powerful weapons before you'd really need them. Meanwhile, I would stick with Iron because I feared the next chapter might be the time they finally buck the trend of balancing for Iron.

So the answer of "Fuck it, let's ditch durability!" was fine by me.

It's not like IS has never made it work before, they could've even used FE4 mechanics for the people who would otherwise panic about running out of a particular weapon!

I mean it's pretty obvious as to the real reason why IS removed it in the first place, and it's not for balance.

on a lighter note, this is pretty hilarious

Draxal

It's not like IS has never made it work before, they could've even used FE4 mechanics for the people who would otherwise panic about running out of a particular weapon!

I mean it's pretty obvious as to the real reason why IS removed it in the first place, and it's not for balance.

Ayup, watching the gamespot video made me realize the skill variance between the top players and the bottom players in Fire Emblem .... is gigantic.

"Camilla stabs Elise in the back with a trident."
"Corrin unknowingly eats toxic berries."

What a great sister you are, Camilla, forgetting to keep Corrin safe because you were too busy killing best sister. >:|

-

But back to the durability thing, yes, being able to repair broken weapons isn't a bad idea, but then you add an extra golem here and a general there to spice up a map, put Magic Counter on them because why not make life miserable (Screw you, Ch. 26. :x), then you start worrying about whether you've given enough gold or that maybe these guys are just a little too tough, and things kinda spiral...

Basically, far as I can see, balancing for durability is a bitch with very little gain if you keep defeating the point by giving more gold / durability points for special weapons and less reasons to use said weapons by making enemies weaker.

Don't disagree that removing durability makes things a lot more welcoming for casual players, but its removal makes it so that you can be much less restrained when designing for hardcore players. Unless the player bought a million vulneraries, you can safely assume the player has all the tools they need.

Renewed

I just remembered the pre-launch for Fates is tomorrow so I better charge my camera. It says arrive early to get a T-shirt (of 100), but I imagine I'll leave work and get there an hour early to see I'm like #200 lol

So there's going to be alot of badges for Fates.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=194935730&postcount=1967

Including the other 16 panels already in the game, these eight brings it up even higher.

I still haven't spent money on badges but it'll be hard to keep this up.

Draxal

The Japanese 3DS Theme Shop did see two themes released based on Fates, if I recall correctly. We'll probably get those.

Three in total, one nohr,one hoshido, than one that's basically the cover of the special edition.

Then there's the three cipher themes, which I"m praying we get Marth's commercial version which is by far the best 3ds theme of all time.

Chrom

Three in total, one nohr,one hoshido, than one that's basically the cover of the special edition.

Then there's the three cipher themes, which I"m praying we get Marth's commercial version which is by far the best 3ds theme of all time.

Yeah, I just remembered about the third one and meant to edit my post.

The first two released along with the launch of Birthright/Conquest, while the third launched with Revelation. I think it'll probably be the same overseas.

Excellent, was really bummed out that there's no Awakening option over here.

On a side note, I've been planning out my runs and I haven't nailed too much down yet but I think I'm going to do my Hoshido run as a guy with Hana as my partner and Nohr as a girl with Silas. The problem with these pairings is that they both have the classes I'd probably pick for reclassing, but I might just stick with all default classes for my initial run, not sure yet though.

Kinsei

Banned
Yeah, I just remembered about the third one and meant to edit my post.

The first two released along with the launch of Birthright/Conquest, while the third launched with Revelation. I think it'll probably be the same overseas.

Despite not being a fan of Kozaki's art I really like the third one.

Draxal

I'm wondering if they're going to keep Kozaki for the next installment as his two games have been popular in Japan or will they go for a new artist like they traditionally do.

I'm wondering if they're going to keep Kozaki for the next installment as his two games have been popular in Japan or will they go for a new artist like they traditionally do.

i feel like they might keep him for one more game and then pick a new artists considering his popularity

that saying i wonder who they would pick next

i think fujisaka kimihiko of drakengard 3/last story could be cool

or minaba hideo of granblue fame might be cool as well

Shun

Nah tony is going to be the next artist and the series is going to go full on Shining.

I don't mind who the artist is so long as they are good. I would prefer someone new like how toi8 was brought on after his work for Chain Chronicle.

Nah tony is going to be the next artist and the series is going to go full on Shining.

I don't mind who the artist is so long as they are good. I would prefer someone new like how toi8 was brought on after his work for Chain Chronicle.

a toi8 designed fire emblem would actually be pretty cool

I think I'm in the extreme minority in that I think Shirow and Kozaki are really good.

im okay with shirow but im a huge kozaki fan :p (ive been trying to hunt down his art book for ages)

CazTGG

I would love the artist that did Tellius Games to return

I agree, Senri Kita's character designs for Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn were great, and her work on some of the DLC character is just as superb. Kozaki is a talented artist no doubt, but I feel his art style doesn't work well (with some exceptions, the manakete[???] design for Corrin is fantastic and quite possibly my favorite in all the series) for a fantasy setting like Fire Emblem.

On durability: I'm waiting to play it for myself before I decide if its removal is a good or bad thing. Much as I enjoy durability in of itself, the argument that it's meant to balance one's gold with the power of certain weapons doesn't really work for why to keep it in when in most games, you can just abuse the arena with one of your units to gain a heap of gold for more powerful weapons (the only exception I can think of where this isn't the case, at least in games where the arena is present and allows for gold & exp. to be earned, is Rekka no Ken since you're ranked on how fast you clear a given map and abusing the arena will drastically lower it) and, more often than not, it ends up making you hoard rarer weapons until the game is practically over since you don't want:

A) A unit you don't want to train wasting their usage (or in the case of non-royal, non-dragon laguz, the use of laguz stones)

B) to use a weapon that you may not get another one of (secret shops aside)

That said, it removal could lead to a severe lack of balance for certain weapons like those of the Brave, Killer and Slayer variety, which is what i'm concerned about. I doubt this is going to be a permanent change for the series going forward, seeing as how divisive it is (coupled with the fact that Intelligent Systems took into account feedback from the previous entry when designing Fates), so it will be interesting to see how the lack of durability is handled.

As a side-note, I always found it weird that, depending on the game, the legendary weapons could only be used thirty or so times.

I just remembered the pre-launch for Fates is tomorrow so I better charge my camera. It says arrive early to get a T-shirt (of 100), but I imagine I'll leave work and get there an hour early to see I'm like #200 lol

Is that the one in Canada? I'll be attending that one as well!

Rutger

Banned
I'd be surprised if Intelligent Systems isn't scared of untested artstyles at this point. AW: DoR, the Marth remakes, Codename STEAM, they haven't been too lucky with them overall recently.

They have a good thing going with FE at the moment, I wouldn't blame them if they decided to stick with Yusuke Kozaki for the next game, and I expect as much right now.
I think I'm in the extreme minority in that I think Shirow and Kozaki are really good.

I like Kozaki's style, but designs can be a bit hit or miss.
I'm not a fan of Shirow's style, but I wouldn't call it bad, the real problem with SD was the in-game art.

tony? time to stop being FE fan for a while then

toi8 would be cool, dunno how they would feel using them again considering how cold #fe ended up being

minaba hideo and making a granblue fire emblem would be sooooo cool
hopefully it'll be coupled with a good art director since the class outfits in granblue are so nice

Draxal

Which cards did she do again?
I actually like big eyes but I understand why othera don't

http://worldofcipher.com/index/illustrator/sachikowada.html

I think big eyes bother me much much more than the average fire emblem fan, always like the older male/female characters more as a result of that.

Cag7rPlVAAAA_Db.jpg

Love her Ephraim, hate her Eirika here.

tony? time to stop being FE fan for a while then

I just googled imaged Tony's work, I really don't know what to think here.

L95

http://worldofcipher.com/index/illustrator/sachikowada.html

I think big eyes bother me much much more than the average fire emblem fan, always like the older male/female characters more as a result of that.

Cag7rPlVAAAA_Db.jpg

Love her Ephraim, hate her Eirika here.

Ahhh, haha. Those are some of the cards I like lol (I don't like promoted Inigo, but I think that's the design and not the style tho)

TBH, I don't like that Eirika either, I think her left eye (our POV) is too close to her ear.... and is going against the angle of the rest of her face. Her eyes line up horozontally, but her face is tilted slightly.

http://i.imgur.com/geM6kgD.png

Joshua is probably my favorite, but mostly because I love the Myrmidon class and he was a straight up murdering badass in my playthrough.

joshua was my favorite until amelia and her god like general class my first time playing through sacred stones and i have never experienced a character that could literally take on an entire maps with so much as a scratch.

speaking of what are some your favorite classes in fe? im pretty fond of pegasus knights, generals and halbadiers im really glad fates brought back some kind of foot soldier class

Rutger

Banned
To the surprise of no one, the favorite class of the person named Rutger is the Sword Master class.

After that are the flying classes and mages.

speaking of what are some your favorite classes in fe? im pretty fond of pegasus knights, generals and halbadiers im really glad fates brought back some kind of foot soldier class
Probably dracoknights. Love the sound effects of their wings when flying across the map. They're incredibly tanky and hit like trucks.

Too bad I'm not big on Lutz, Beruka, or Camilla.

Top Bottom