• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

CazTGG

speaking of what are some your favorite classes in fe?

Not counting promoted Lords a la Lyn and Hector (Blade Lord would be the winner if that was the case), it's a tie between the Wyvern Knights/Dracoknight and Awakening-style Manaketes, the former for being a mobile tank (albeit I prefer the lance/sword-wielding variety over the axe/lance-wielding ones post-Path of Radiance), while the latter is a refreshing take on the manakete, even if the types of stones it can use are limited compared to previous games, to say the least.

Kinsei

Banned
speaking of what are some your favorite classes in fe? im pretty fond of pegasus knights, generals and halbadiers im really glad fates brought back some kind of foot soldier class

My favorite mounted units my favorites are Wyvern Riders/Wyvern Knights and my favorite foot units are Pirates/Berserkers.

yami4ct

i like snipers

I love Sniper designs and I like the class in theory. You can find great niche uses for them, but the huge problem is that you have to compare them to horse archers. A tad bit of extra range can be great, but most of the time the extra mobility is far far more useful.

I still tend to build Snipers because I do like them. I hope FE can someday find a way to boost Snipers that make them not totally broken, but also makes the choice between them and mounted archers a more difficult one.

I love Sniper designs and I like the class in theory. You can find great niche uses for them, but the huge problem is that you have to compare them to horse archers. A tad bit of extra range can be great, but most of the time the extra mobility is far far more useful.

I still tend to build Snipers because I do like them. I hope FE can someday find a way to boost Snipers that make them not totally broken, but also makes the choice between them and mounted archers a more difficult one.

no, the big problem is you have to compare them to other units that can attack at 1 range

although mounted bow users admittedly are better most of the time, but still just compare mounted bow users to mounted everyone else

yami4ct

no, the big problem is you have to compare them to other units that can attack at 1 range

although mounted bow users admittedly are better most of the time, but still just compare mounted bow users to mounted everyone else

Depends on the game/map, but a lot of late game FE maps tend to really pour in the flying units. Bow users become godsends on those maps. Mounted Bows are much better at taking care of those, unfortunately, and can also serve well as scouting units. They are more niche than single-range guys, but still can be super useful.

Shooting through castle walls is always great in defense maps as well.

Rather fond of Berserkers, Ninjas, and Maids. They make for excellent movie material when put together. Also like the balls-out nature of Berserkers and like the offensive support of Ninjas and Maids.

Depends on the game/map, but a lot of late game FE maps tend to really pour in the flying units. Bow users become godsends on those maps. Mounted Bows are much better at taking care of those, unfortunately, and can also serve well as scouting units. They are more niche than single-range guys, but still can be super useful.

Shooting through castle walls is always great in defense maps as well.

...like which ones? FE6 maybe, but for the most part your usual paladin/flier can handle things just fine

just need to make another player-turn focused game and snipers can be better
give them superior skills than bow knights and better stats too, why not

i'll still go through the effort of raising them, even the Gordins you get, I'll raise them!

yami4ct

...like which ones? FE6 maybe, but for the most part your usual paladin/flier can handle things just fine

I think a lot of my use of bows is that I rarely invest in fliers. They are too flimsy early on for my taste. A Paladin is very capable of handling fliers, but I tend to like to send them into the middle of big groups single-range units while my archers run around taking fliers out with ease.

Rutger

Banned
Bow's extra damage to flying units just doesn't compare to Mage's extra damage to everything, because few enemies ever have decent Res.

And Mages can get that same extra damage with wind magic, and they can attack from one range.

I'd like to see Snipers be worth something for once, but as dedicated ranged units they are completely outclassed.

yami4ct

Bow's extra damage to flying units just doesn't compare to Mage's extra damage to everything, because few enemies ever have decent Res.

And Mages can get that same extra damage with wind magic, and they can attack from one range.

I'd like to see Snipers be worth something for once, but as dedicated ranged units they are completely outclassed.

Mages can get clobbered super quickly if you aren't careful. I find that most bow users can at least take a hit or two after you get them out of their infant phase. Mages also have more upkeep if you want to keep a variety of spells on them.

I use both on my squad, but they have different niches.

Oboro gives me the Nephenee vibes.

really popular lance wielding foot soldier? wonder why you would ever think that :p

Mages can get clobbered super quickly if you aren't careful. I find that most bow users can at least take a hit or two after you get them out of their infant phase. Mages also have more upkeep if you want to keep a variety of spells on them.

the good magic users don't get clobbered (i.e. Lewyn/Ced (although neither are actually that great cause lol foot units in Horse Emblem), Asvel, Pent, Saleh, etc.)

bow users are pointless when you can just kill everything with 1-2 range, which is why FE7-10 and FE13 (well, Shinon was decent in FE10) was the worst for bows

although at least in Fates you have Reina, Takumi, and Niles for your bow needs! Niles is garbage in Revelation though

spiritfox

I miss the GBA Generals. Can't beat an armored mecha with a chain to retrieve their weapons after throwing them into the faces of their enemies.

Also dink.

Shun

I usually like magic but mage is not very good at all in Lunatic Conquest. They're the definition of glass cannon. Odin and Nyx are both lackluster and you really have to be careful about their positioning since they can get one hit kill easy. Their stats and paper thin defense made them worse than archer Zero as units. Any advantage of 1-2 range is mitigate because of their slow speed and inability to take a hit. Giving them Resire doesn't help shit either, they die too fast and don't recover much HP. At least in Conquest anyway.

I really wanted to like Odin but he pisses me off as a unit.

My favorite classes in Fire Emblem usually be dark mage + promotion, sword fighter +promotion, or paladin.

Rutger

Banned

I just can't agree on that, both are fragile classes that generally want to attack at range.
Mages just always have more utility.

Bows are almost always better off as a backup ranged weapon for a class that can attack at one range, so if I ever want the weapon I'll look for one of those over the Snipers.

Andrew J.

Generals, Berserkers, Heroes, Paladins. Classes you can put on the front lines, not worry about too much, and reliably get counterkills. I baby my mages and archers too much, never feel comfortable getting aggressive with them. Swordmasters are the same but to a lesser extent; I like using them as magekillers.

I gotta admit. Intellgent Systems knows how to make a trailer.

Also I love the openings their 3DS games are having. Beautifully music and direction.

Rutger

Banned
I miss FE6 swordmasters.

The world just wasn't ready for +30 crit. D:

I still have a lot of fun using them as dodge tanks with high crit weapons though, even if they struggle to reach their former glory. I always have at least one on my team.

The world just wasn't ready for +30 crit. D:

I still have a lot of fun using them as dodge tanks with high crit weapons though, even if they struggle to reach their former glory. I always have at least one on my team.

well there's Ryoma, although I dunno if just spamming Rajinto is something you'd like to do

Xenoflare

Is it viable to feed Odin a bunch of spirit dust to make him usable in Conquest.

And is it a good idea to do the same thing to Camilla to make use of her Tome.

Is it viable to feed Odin a bunch of spirit dust to make him usable in Conquest.

And is it a good idea to do the same thing to Camilla to make use of her Tome.

If you have the special edition you could just make him a Dark Flier.

If you don't idk you probably could salvage him in Conquest still...as for magic Camilla it's worth a try, I'm surprised nobody has really attempted it.

Xenoflare

If you have the special edition you could just make him a Dark Flier.

If you don't idk you probably could salvage him in Conquest still...as for magic Camilla it's worth a try, I'm surprised nobody has really attempted it.

I thought I would get dark flier if I get all three.... OHHH right Revelation won't drop until march for those of us who just went for the plebian versions.

I'd rather make Leo to a Dark Flier, then again Odin is always outclassed by someone.

zeroroute

Banned
I miss the GBA Generals. Can't beat an armored mecha with a chain to retrieve their weapons after throwing them into the faces of their enemies.

Also dink.

Agreed. Also I think there's a five year old on the localization team

Ca-73o-UAAAQgN0.jpg:large

L95

Can I say I think the top one is kinda stupid, and the bottom one is kinda bland? lol. Not that every line has to be interesting, but the second one doesn't seem to read right in my head.

Can I vote for nuking Kana out of existence entirely?

I thought I would get dark flier if I get all three.... OHHH right Revelation won't drop until march for those of us who just went for the plebian versions.

I'd rather make Leo to a Dark Flier, then again Odin is always outclassed by someone.

Leo comes rather late to be using an Ebon Wing...it's much better used on an earlygame unit.

you still could use it on him of course (the +2 speed skill in particular is nice especially if you want to go back to Dark Knight)

CazTGG

I don't really see what's so bad about this change in translation. Honestly, it's kind of sweet in comparison to the somewhat cliché "I feel so wonderful that we'll be together forever even though something bad could happen later on like a divorce or one of them dying in battle"

Come to think of it, I don't think there's ever been a character who's been through a divorce in a Fire Emblem game. There have been examples of married couples who've had issues with their relationships like Hellene and Desmond in Rekka no Ken or the creepy mind manipulation of Deirdre in Seisen No Keifu that lead her to marry Arvis, but I can't recall an example of a character who went through an official divorce.

L95

I don't really see what's so bad about this change in translation. Honestly, it's kind of sweet in comparison to the somewhat cliché "I feel so wonderful that we'll be together forever even though something bad could happen later on like a divorce or one of them dying in battle"

Come to think of it, I don't think there's ever been a character who's been through a divorce in a Fire Emblem game. There have been examples of married couples who've had issues with their relationships like Hellene and Desmond in Rekka no Ken or the creepy mind manipulation of Deirdre in Seisen No Keifu that lead her to marry Arvis, but I can't recall an example of a character who went through an official divorce.

I think Cigyun counts?

Her husband Victor is an ass, she fucks Kurth, then she leaves to live in the woods.

Though, I guess Victor killing himself technically isn't a divorce...

Golnei

Most complaints about it that I've seen stem from it being similar to the "rawr means I love you in dinosaur" meme from over a decade ago. I cringed when I first saw the line, but at least it makes some sense in context.

Seda

The top one, while silly, kinda clues me in on a personality of that character.

The bottom is super duper bland.

GSR

If I was working at the Treehouse and had to translate 嬉しいです! for the fiftieth time, I'd opt for replacing it with dialogue playing up the "cute dragon kid" angle too.

yami4ct

The top one, while silly, kinda clues me in on a personality of that character.

The bottom is super duper bland.

That's where I'm at. The top one is a bit overly silly, but it works for the character. It has personality.

The bottom feels like it's spoken by a machine. There's nothing there. Maybe it's more accurate in terms of what is exactly said in the Japanese release, but it has no feeling.

Kana seems silly, but she could be worse. She's no Nowi.

CazTGG

I think Cigyun counts?

Her husband Victor is an ass, she fucks Kurth, then she leaves to live in the woods.

Though, I guess Victor killing himself technically isn't a divorce...

Eh, that's a bit of a stretch, it's like when Almedha from Radiant Dawn turned out to not be officially married to Ashnard because she wasn't invented in Path of Radiance which is why she did jack to become queen of Daien and lead the country when Ashnard died come the game's ending they were never truly in love/their attraction was only physical or something along those lines.

Please tell me that line is fully voice acted.

Top Bottom