• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

Wouldn't they have announced FE Switch to be coming out this year if it was? That's what they did for Xenoblade 2.

Anyways I'm hella hyped for Shadows of Valentia because it doesn't look like it has a MU character.

It's not coming out this year but that doesn't mean they can't drop info on it super early ;)

and (possibly) not having a MU can't salvage everything else

NeonZ

If they're keeping Gaiden's level design, the only thing that can save the game and give it some audience would be stuff like an avatar and supports. No significant audience would play it for the map design or the main story.

Marz

If they're keeping Gaiden's level design, the only thing that can save the game and give it some audience would be stuff like an avatar and supports. No significant audience would play it for the map design or the main story.

Is it that bad? Why?

to be fair looking at this page you'd think it was the unofficial Cipher thread
eh....
Is it that bad? Why?
C2-w1tGUEAEajME.jpg

C2-xQg4UsAEDwNa.jpg

C2-xnD3W8AADCZk.jpg

C2-yYyyWIAEWrHr.jpg
shamelessly stole what chrom posted in one of the thread because i'm too lazy myself

Roman

If anyone else is looking for an excuse to replay the older games, the FE GAF community discord server is looking for some players to participate in drafts.

Here's our current signups of how many we have/need per game:

FE4: 0/4
FE5: 0/4
FE6: 0/5
FE7: 5/5 (currently ongoing)
FE8: 4/4 (currently ongoing)
FE8 SOYO: 3/4
FE9: 3/5
FE10: 5/7
FE11: 5/5 (currently ongoing)
FE12: 5/5 (currently ongoing)
FE13 SOYO: 0/4
FE14 SOYO: 1/4

If you're not sure what FE drafts are, here is a thread outlining guidelines, explanations and rules.

Don't let theprodigy remain lonely up there!

Marz

Anyone know any good playthroughs or channels of fire emblem games on YouTube without some annoying wannabe funny guy talking over the whole thing?

Wanna check out how people approach lunatic.

Anyone know any good playthroughs or channels of fire emblem games on YouTube without some annoying wannabe funny guy talking over the whole thing?

Wanna check out how people approach lunatic.
dondon151

He does LTC 0% growths playthroughs, his commentary is very good and will make you much better at Fire Emblem

Golnei

I wouldn't mind them bringing back griffons in some capacity eventually, even if they didn't really justify themselves as a separate class in Awakening. Maybe as the personal mount of an individual boss?

Boney

Banned
Hit a wall in Conquest Hard so I decided to try Birthright lunatic for a bit. The difference is just staggering.

I knew it was going to be much worse and straightforward but wow. What's going to happen when they won't be making a version to dump all of this nonsense to keep the other one top of the line.

The next one being a remake of Gaiden isn't a good sign since recycling bad maps made 25 years ago is not that enticing.

Beat Blazing Sword the other day. Canas is rad.

The game is definitely pretty great - but way too easy. Enemies were weak all the way up to the end, the Lyn tutorial bit was interminable (thankfully the game got solid after it was done), and I'm not sure that enemy reinforcements not moving on the turn they show up is good for Fire Emblem overall. (It certainly makes them less frustrating, but pretty much completely defangs them in most cases.)

I probably liked Binding Blade a little more, but I'd really like to try Hector hard mode. It sounds like a solid challenge. But I have to say that having to play through Hector normal mode - an entire second playthrough - before I can get to the meat of the game is kind of discouraging. I'll definitely get around to Sacred Stones sooner or later but I feel like I should set my expectations a little low for that one.

Beat Blazing Sword the other day. Canas is rad.

The game is definitely pretty great - but way too easy. Enemies were weak all the way up to the end, the Lyn tutorial bit was interminable (thankfully the game got solid after it was done), and I'm not sure that enemy reinforcements not moving on the turn they show up is good for Fire Emblem overall. (It certainly makes them less frustrating, but pretty much completely defangs them in most cases.)

I probably liked Binding Blade a little more, but I'd really like to try Hector hard mode. It sounds like a solid challenge. But I have to say that having to play through Hector normal mode - an entire second playthrough - before I can get to the meat of the game is kind of discouraging. I'll definitely get around to Sacred Stones sooner or later but I feel like I should set my expectations a little low for that one.
HHM is probably about as difficult as Binding Blade NM, maybe a bit tougher. ENM is pretty easy though, I wouldn't judge the difficulty off of that.

HHM is probably about as difficult as Binding Blade NM, maybe a bit tougher. ENM is pretty easy though, I wouldn't judge the difficulty off of that.

Yeah. It's hard not to, though, since it's the first mode you get and a full first playthrough of a Fire Emblem game is pretty meaty (like 40-50 hours). In this case I definitely wish hard mode had been available from the start, it would have been much appreciated.

Do defense maps get more interesting on harder modes? I thought it was cool that they existed, and most of them seemed to have pretty interesting map design, but the low stats of enemies meant that they all just turned into rout maps. It'd be cool if they felt like actual defense maps on hard mode (like FE5's did; I love how desperate those feel).

Yeah. It's hard not to, though, since it's the first mode you get and a full first playthrough of a Fire Emblem game is pretty meaty (like 40-50 hours). In this case I definitely wish hard mode had been available from the start, it would have been much appreciated.

Do defense maps get more interesting on harder modes? I thought it was cool that they existed, and most of them seemed to have pretty interesting map design, but the low stats of enemies meant that they all just turned into rout maps. It'd be cool if they felt like actual defense maps on hard mode (like FE5's did; I love how desperate those feel).
It is annoying, but I wouldn't really want to judge how difficult a game is on anything other than its hardest mode. I still wouldn't rank Blazing Sword as very hard, but it's definitely middle of the pack (of what I've played) in difficulty.

Um, let's see. I've only done HHM once but I remember the Hector Mode only defense chapter early on (15, I think) being kind of tough, same with the Merlinus one. The late one in Ostia with Denning was kind of lolzy because Raven could just kill everything with handaxes and a hammer. I don't really remember any of the other defense maps being noticeably challenging, but the HM enemies get their stats buffed.

Chrom

Agreed on Robin versus Corrin, I do think they did more interesting things with the character in Awakening.

C6dnBZKVQAAvMWA.png

For example, their relationship with Grima, who is also getting their own Cipher card.

I absolutely love this series! Played Awakening a few weeks ago (first FE game) and haven't had that much fun in a game in quite a while :D. Just a quick question re Fates: Birthright, though, for those who've finished it:

Does class choice have any bearing on the avatar character? It doesn't seem to have made a difference in my playthrough thus far (up to Chapter 7)

Also does it seem like we'll get any more FE games for the 3DS past Echoes? (Not counting Warriors, that is).

Weebos

Banned
I absolutely love this series! Played Awakening a few weeks ago (first FE game) and haven't had that much fun in a game in quite a while :D. Just a quick question re Fates: Birthright, though, for those who've finished it:

Does class choice have any bearing on the avatar character? It doesn't seem to have made a difference in my playthrough thus far (up to Chapter 7)

Also does it seem like we'll get any more FE games for the 3DS past Echoes? (Not counting Warriors, that is).

It affects which class you can second seal into. It isn't unlimited for the Avatar like in Awakening.

Swords were the best weapon type in Kaga games.
Lances were the best weapons in GBA.
Axes were the best in Tellius.
Then magic was the best in 3DS games.

Bows will finally be the best in the Switch game(s) confirmed.

Rutger

Banned
Swords were the best weapon type in Kaga games.
Lances were the best weapons in GBA.
Axes were the best in Tellius.
Then magic was the best in 3DS games.

Bows will finally be the best in the Switch game(s) confirmed.

To keep with the theme of the Switch, those games will have Dragon Stones/Beast Stones as the best.

Bows will continue to be bad until the next console, unless a new weapon type is created before then.

I felt that bows were very strong in Fates. But then I played on Normal.
Bows are usually bad because using one means giving up a potential enemy phase with that character. Takumi (one of my favorite characters) will always be handicapped by being bowlocked because it means he can only take out one enemy per turn. It's not about how deadly the character can be (Takumi for example is quite good at killing things) but how many enemies they can take out in a short span of time.

Top Bottom