• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

No, magic swords were the best in Thracia. :V

Staves are great when warpskipping exists, so that includes Thracia :p

I felt that bows were very strong in Fates. But then I played on Normal.

Since bows are limited to 2 range (ignore Gaiden), there has to be something to actually make you want to use bows over some 1-2 range option.

In Birthright this is practically nonexistent outside chapter 10/11, Conquest and Revelation sometimes make bows actually useful.

Erheller

Would making bows 2-3 make them better?

That doesn't really fix their main issue, namely that they're still useless during the enemy phase even if they have 2-3 range. Fates (and Awakening I guess I dunno I stopped playing Awakening after a few chapters so not sure how pair up works in that game) buffed bow users a bit by letting them act during enemy phase through attack stance. But it's not that much of a buff because in Fates defensive stance is better than attack stance in 90% of cases.

There are examples of good bow users in the series, but as far as I can remember, they're good units despite them wielding bows, not because of them wielding bows.

What could make bows better, then? Bow users, like most damage-dealing units, can only kill one enemy during the player phase. However, bow users, unlike most other units, do no damage during the enemy phase. FE could make bow users have 1 range bows (they already exist) so that they can act in enemy phase. In my opinion, though, that kind of takes away what makes bow users special. Instead, FE could try to make bow users do more in the player phase. Maybe let them attack two enemies or give them crowd control abilities or something. It's not an easy question to answer, but I've been experimenting a bit.

PK Gaming

I don't think Bows need to overhauled. They're inherently inferior, which is just how things shook out. No point in potentially upsetting the overall balance to make them viable. FE14 was on the right track by making bows hit hard in addition to having WTA against Lances/Hidden Weapons.

It's also worth noting that the bow unit weakness varies from game to game. Niles and Shin are useful despite their weapon type, because their games aren't strictly enemy phase games. Takumi does better in Revelation than in BR for a similar reason.

I don't think Bows need to overhauled. They're inherently inferior, which is just how things shook out. No point in potentially upsetting the overall balance to make them viable. FE14 was on the right track by making bows hit hard in addition to having WTA against Lances/Hidden Weapons.

It's also worth noting that the bow unit weakness varies from game to game. Niles and Shin are useful despite their weapon type, because their games aren't strictly enemy phase games. Takumi does better in Revelations than in BR for a similar reason.
Yeah I think the real solution to making bows good is to make PP combat more important than EP combat. FE6 sort of achieved this by making Wyverns nasty af. I think FE12 did this too, according to legend, but I've never actually played it. Make engaging in direct combat more punishing and bows will probably be more useful. I'm not sure with the current direction of FE that will happen though.

Yeah I think the real solution to making bows good is to make PP combat more important than EP combat. FE6 sort of achieved this by making Wyverns nasty af. I think FE12 did this too, according to legend, but I've never actually played it. Make engaging in direct combat more punishing and bows will probably be more useful. I'm not sure with the current direction of FE that will happen though.

can't just send one guy and roll over the enemy in Heroes

Andrew J.

Bows are usually bad because using one means giving up a potential enemy phase with that character. Takumi (one of my favorite characters) will always be handicapped by being bowlocked because it means he can only take out one enemy per turn. It's not about how deadly the character can be (Takumi for example is quite good at killing things) but how many enemies they can take out in a short span of time.

Aside from Xander and Ryoma, there really aren't any characters period who you're going to leave in attack range of more than a couple enemy units at a time. Depending on the situation, your units are mostly either bait, or killers. Bow users aren't typically good bait, but they're excellent killers.

PK Gaming

Aside from Xander and Ryoma, there really aren't any characters period who you're going to leave in attack range of more than a couple enemy units at a time. Depending on the situation, your units are mostly either bait, or killers. Bow users aren't typically good bait, but they're excellent killers.

It's actually very easy to create juggernauts who can wreck on the enemy phase with dual guard support. Corrin, Camilla, Leo, Rinkah, Hayato, etc. All of these units have the 1-2 range and the durability to make it happen.

PK Gaming

lol, you include her but no ninjas or Hinoka

It's actually very easy to create juggernauts who can wreck on the enemy phase with dual guard support. Corrin, Camilla, Leo, Rinkah, Hayato, etc. All of these units have the 1-2 range and the durability to make it happen.

YiB0loq.png

Andrew J.

Corrin I prefer with staves, an even in Conquest I never bothered leveling his tome rank. Camilla I switched to Wyvern Lord immediately. Leo's too fragile. Rinkah's Mag is terrible. Hayato is a mage, I'm not leaving him in range of shit.

PK Gaming

Corrin I prefer with staves, an even in Conquest I never bothered leveling his tome rank. Camilla I switched to Wyvern Lord immediately. Leo's too fragile. Rinkah's Mag is terrible. Hayato is a mage, I'm not leaving him in range of shit.

• You don't need to worry about Corrin's tome rank because she trivializes most of the game with the Levin Sword. You could reclass to Malig Knight early on and crush it even harder.
  • Camilla works well with either class.
  • Leo has 34/16/20 defenses at base and has 60%HP/45%DEF/50% Res growths, how is he frail.
  • Rinkah's mag being terrible is irrelevant because enemies in BR have comically low Resistance and boosting her magic is trivial.
  • Hayato is tanky as fuck.
  • And the ninja's just roll over BR, like it's nothing.
  • You have so many 1-2 range gods it's not even funny.

spiritfox

I agree with this. Make enemies that would absolutely murder you if you let them initiate, so you have to hit them first. But then that'll make armor knights even more useless so...

Andrew J.

• You don't need to worry about Corrin's tome rank because she trivializes most of the game with the Levin Sword. You could reclass to Malig Knight early on and crush it even harder.
  • Camilla works well with either class.
  • Leo has 34/16/20 defenses at base and has 60%HP/45%DEF/50% Res growths, how is he frail.
  • Rinkah's mag being terrible is irrelevant because enemies in BR have comically low Resistance and boosting her magic is trivial.
  • Hayato is tanky as fuck.
  • And the ninja's just roll over BR, like it's nothing.
  • You have so many 1-2 range gods it's not even funny.

Are Levin Swords good in Fates? They didn't impress me in Awakening so I ignored them completely.

I think I might have misremembered. There was something about Leo that made me hesitant to be really aggressive with him. Maybe Speed?

I genuinely have no idea how you got Rinkah's Mag up so high.

Hayato looks too stupid as an Oni Chieftain, I don't care how good it makes him.

Had a bad experience with Kagero getting killed by a really unlucky crit once, made me gunshy with ninjas.

Are Levin Swords good in Fates? They didn't impress me in Awakening so I ignored them completely.

I think I might have misremembered. There was something about Leo that made me hesitant to be really aggressive with him. Maybe Speed?

Hayato looks too stupid as an Oni Chieftain, I don't care how good it makes him.

Had a bad experience with Kagero getting killed by a really unlucky crit once, made me gunshy with ninjas.
Kagero is best as a pair up bot for another juggernaut, but Kaze and Saizo but kick a ton of ass. Levin Swords are good on relatively study units with the magic to ORKO units with it, same with any of the other magic weapons. Shining Bow Priestess Sakura was <3, even if it's not super.

PK Gaming

They have good MT, target Res, and have 1-2 range so they're crazy good.

Leo's Speed is sketchy (50% growth with a lowish base), but it's trivial to boost his Speed in Fates.

Tonics, Pairup and Magic Dust.

Yep. It is pretty funny though.

It's best to not let bad experiences inform you on a unit's effectiveness. It can lead you down a dangerous path.

FE GAF, I ask you, how the hell do you pronounce L'Arachel's name?

Argh, there used to be an interview on a gaming site where I'm pretty sure they explained this, but I can't seem to find it. It was from around a decade ago, so I dunno if it's there anymore.

I remember the developer/localiser saying how her original name Larchel was too harsh-sounding, while L'Arachel flows a bit better and/or sounds more refined. So I'm guessing something like LA-RA-SHEL.

Chrom

Argh, there used to be an interview on a gaming site where I'm pretty sure they explained this, but I can't seem to find it. It was from around a decade ago, so I dunno if it's there anymore.

I remember the developer/localiser saying how her original name Larchel was too harsh-sounding, while L'Arachel flows a bit better and/or sounds more refined. So I'm guessing something like LA-RA-SHEL.

Should be this one!

PGC: What's with the name changes? Most of them make sense (such as Eirik to Eirika) but some of them are a little jarring to fans who have followed the series well before its English premiere. (Knoll from Noel.)

Rich: We've been given a lot of... let's say "faith" from Intelligent Systems. They really care about how the game is received in America and want the absolute best possible reception. The first thing we talk about is the origins and meanings of the Japanese name. Our goal is to try and bring that intent over to our American audiences. For instance, let's take L'Arachel. Her name was meant to have an elegant "feel" to it. I find her character sublimely hilarious and I wanted to come up with a name that spoke of that and keep it similar to the Japanese. Now, her transliterated name sounds much more harsh to English-speaking ears than the development team wanted to convey, so it was clear something got lost along the way. Even though there are English spellings for the Japanese names, they are literally transliterations. When we talk to the development team we're getting the motivations and the original intent behind the meanings of the names and we try to convey that same spirit in English. We have followed it on the boards and other places, so we are sensitive to the issue. It's a bit of a "hot button" topic. We always do this with the permission of the development team, to make sure we are still true to the game's origins.

If you actually had an infinite supply of Levin Swords in Awakening, they still would have been pretty good there too (though not as good, you'd rather not be in the weapon triangle, and also 1-2 range hand axes/javelins still exist).

Chrom

C63PBO8VAAAfCs-.png

FE4 substitutes are joining Cipher! This is Jeanne, Nanna's replacement. Her brother Tristan is also referenced, so he ought to be appearing as well.

L95

Looking at the tiny famitsu preview now, alm has a
new cousin now...
interesting. Limited unit rewinds are also neat, kinda wish that had been a thing a while ago

Chrom

I agree, the turnwheel sounds lovely on paper, and seems like a better concept than what Phoenix mode was aiming to do in Fates.

Chrom

Hopefully it stays that way moving forward. I think with the game's emphasis on the new art, it only makes sense to continue putting that on the spotlight.

By the way, the new Cipher set finally came out in Japan today. You can check out the new cards here, and we're currently compiling all the art pieces that are being shared all over on Twitter here.

PK Gaming

FE:Heroes has some good ideas that could be applied to the main series. Examples include:

• Giving mounted units lower base stats than Infantry to compensate for their increase in mobility was a great idea. Seriously, there's no reason why the earlygame cavs should have higher stats than the lords and most units, lmao
  • Offensive/Defensive specials skills are generally way better. Operating off a charge > Luck
  • Skill acquisition system is pretty neat too. Picking and choosing what skills to obtain is more fun than obtaining by level.
  • PVP is flawed, but much better than Fates's implementation
  • Blatantly better character balance relative to each other

Lunar15

Still not quite sure what to make of Echoes. Everything about its presentation is spot on and extremely appealing to me, but talk of it adhering to the original makes me wonder if I'll like it or not. I'd like it to do well, though. I think this selling even moderately well guarantees a 4 remake and I'm massively curious as to what that looks like.

Fire Emblem has become somewhat like Marvel in that, with games like Cypher and Heroes that tap into the wealth of characters in the series history, they now all of a sudden have a great reason to re-introduce characters and games that are otherwise obscure to new audiences.

Giving mounted units lower base stats than Infantry to compensate for their increase in mobility was a great idea. Seriously, there's no reason why the earlygame cavs should have higher stats than the lords and most units, lmao.

but PK, movement only matters if you play fast /s

(hey FE12 gives mounted units lower speed caps, which hampers their offense!)

Skill acquisition system is pretty neat too. Picking and choosing what skills to obtain is more fun than obtaining by level.

eh I dunno, you'd have to a) create an equivalent of SP b) probably grind a bit to pick up all skills in the class tree
PVP is flawed, but much better than Fates's implementation

Well....Fates PVP is broken because of the tools, if Heroes had super move and Rescue staff and all that it would be nearly as broken.

PK Gaming

but PK, movement only matters if you play fast /s

(hey FE12 gives mounted units lower speed caps, which hampers their offense!)

speed caps, lol (nice impression, right?)

eh I dunno, you'd have to a) create an equivalent of SP b) probably grind a bit to pick up all skills in the class tree

Yeah that's what i'm suggesting. Ofc you'd have to balance it, but they could make skills like Elbow Room actually cost something instead of being ridiculously OP skills.

Well....Fates PVP is broken because of the tools, if Heroes had super move and Rescue staff and all that it would be nearly as broken.

I'm thinking with the PVP, they'd cut out items entirely and just go with the Heroes set up. Kind of like how Mass Effect 3's multiplayer is disconnected from it's singeplayer in terms of gameplay.

Still not quite sure what to make of Echoes. Everything about its presentation is spot on and extremely appealing to me, but talk of it adhering to the original makes me wonder if I'll like it or not. I'd like it to do well, though. I think this selling even moderately well guarantees a 4 remake and I'm massively curious as to what that looks like.

Fire Emblem has become somewhat like Marvel in that, with games like Cypher and Heroes that tap into the wealth of characters in the series history, they now all of a sudden have a great reason to re-introduce characters and games that are otherwise obscure to new audiences.

That's a pretty big concern, yeah. It doesn't seem like the map design was changed at all, which is worrying, but i'm sure it will be "fun" in the same sense that Awakening was "fun" to play through even if it map design wasn't ambitious.

speed caps, lol (nice impression, right?)

pls you can't "lol speed caps" the one game where they actually matter :p

I'm thinking with the PVP, they'd cut out items entirely and just go with the Heroes set up. Kind of like how Mass Effect 3's multiplayer is disconnected from it's singeplayer in terms of gameplay.

....but then what would units equip?

That's a pretty big concern, yeah. It doesn't seem like the map design was changed at all, which is worrying, but i'm sure it will be "fun" in the same sense that Awakening was "fun" to play through even if it map design wasn't ambitious.

I dunno Awakening has a lot more movement options and generally broken shit, you'll always have to deal with Gaiden hit rates ;)

It also seems weird to release Heroes, which is a good, albeit basic introduction to the weapon triangle, then release a game that doesn't have the weapon triangle.

I dunno if it counts as a "good" introduction given that weapon triangle matters far more in Heroes than in the actual games

Lunar15

It also seems weird to release Heroes, which is a good, albeit basic introduction to the weapon triangle, then release a game that doesn't have the weapon triangle.

PK Gaming

pls you can't "lol speed caps" the one game where they actually matter :p

(shrugs)

I suppose. I still think giving Infantry higher base stats than mounted units is a good idea.

....but then what would units equip?

Their weapons they start with, like in Heroes. I guess it couldn't hurt to allow people to manage their inventory before battle, but nothing from Single Player. Just pre-set items.

I dunno Awakening has a lot more movement options and generally broken shit, you'll always have to deal with Gaiden hit rates ;)

Maybe they fixed them :x

(shrugs)

I suppose. I still think giving Infantry higher base stats than mounted units is a good idea.

I mean I'm not saying it isn't a good idea, just that a) IS kind of already did use stats to balance mounts once and b) the thing about the main games is that your stats only need to be good enough to reliably ORKO enemies, as opposed to Heroes Arena where it's not technically PVP but you're still running up against other people's units as opposed to fixed enemies.

sibarraz

Banned
Started playing fire emblem last month. Awakening is an awesome game

Question, could you guyss advice me when to use the second and master seal for max performancd?

For Awakening? When you hit the level cap. You have infinite xp anyway.

uh it's generally the opposite

you generally want to use the seals ASAP to pick up new skills (so 10 unpromoted and 10/15 promoted depending on whether the level 15 promoted skill is good), and the exp curve is ridiculously generous anyway

sibarraz

Banned
For Awakening? When you hit the level cap. You have infinite xp anyway.

Thanks, and second seal? When is good to get another class? Like if I pick chrom and choose another class to get more skills, could I get to advanced lord or I have to return again to lord to reach that?

Weebos

Banned
Thanks, and second seal? When is good to get another class? Like if I pick chrom and choose another class to get more skills, could I get to advanced lord or I have to return again to lord to reach that?

For Second Seals the optimal way is this:

uh it's generally the opposite

you generally want to use the seals ASAP to pick up new skills (so 10 unpromoted and 10/15 promoted depending on whether the level 15 promoted skill is good), and the exp curve is ridiculously generous anyway

You have to return to Lord to promote into the Great Lord.

You could to this with Chrom (for example)

• Lord to 10.
  • Second seal to Cavalier.
  • Cavalier to 10/20.
  • Master Seal to Paladin/Great Knight.
  • Paladin/Great Knight to 15.
  • Second Seal to Great Lord or whatever.

Its not necessary to Second Seal dance with everyone, but it can be useful. One I personally recommend is Second Sealing Panne into a Wyvern Knight.

sibarraz

Banned
For Second Seals the optimal way is this:

You have to return to Lord to promote into the Great Lord.

You could to this with Chrom (for example)

• Lord to 10.
  • Second seal to Cavalier.
  • Cavalier to 10/20.
  • Master Seal to Paladin/Great Knight.
  • Paladin/Great Knight to 15.
  • Second Seal to Great Lord or whatever.

Its not necessary to Second Seal dance with everyone, but it can be useful. One I personally recommend is Second Sealing Panne into a Wyvern Knight.

Thanks, now I get which is the optimal route

Is a good idea to do this with all the members of my main party? If not which units are recomendated to second seal? And into which classes?

Thanks, now I get which is the optimal route

Is a good idea to do this with all the members of my main party? If not which units are recomendated to second seal? And into which classes?

common Second Seal options:
Robin to Pegasus Knight->Dark Flier or Dark Mage->Sorceror
Sully/Panne to Wyvern Rider
Chrom/Lucina to Cavalier (though Lucina depends on who her mother is)
Miriel to Dark Mage

I think that covers most of the common reclasses? I wouldn't field all of these units at once though, Second Seals are extremely limited at first and Robin should definitely get your first one.

So SoV will have Base Conversations once again from New Mystery and the Radiant Duo but it'll also have a completely new Chapter 6 which is rather new for the remakes so far (most have prologs and side stories but never a post game story. SoV will be the first fire emblem to continue its narrative after the main conflict is resolved assuming Gaiden's base story structure is maintained)

CazTGG

So SoV will have Base Conversations once again from New Mystery and the Radiant Duo but it'll also have a completely new Chapter 6 which is rather new for the remakes so far (most have prologs and side stories but never a post game story. SoV will be the first fire emblem to continue its narrative after the main conflict is resolved assuming Gaiden's base story structure is maintained)

It's really not too different from the prologue in Shadow Dragon (I imagine it will also be optional, albeit it likely won't be tied to the difficulty this time), the difference is what information it fills you in on and the difficulty. In Valentia's case, you should expect to see the formation of Valm as a nation and other additions to better tie it to Awakening and the Fire Emblem series since, outside of
Camus (who doesn't remember being Camus until late into the game if I recall) and the Pegasus sisters
, there's little in the original to connect it to Sword of Darkness and the Dragon of Light or any of the other entries in terms of lore.

Top Bottom