• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

Golnei

Cipher-original characters making a game appearance also makes it seem like them crossing over into Heroes is more of a question of when rather than if.

Chrom

C_h4wG0UMAEVpXl.png

Jemmy! From the manga. Another character, Zeed, is also indirectly confirmed to be getting a card through this card's text.

Yeah, can't have Jemmy without Zeed after all.

I'm hoping the promoted Al, Tiena and Gant cards are suitable badass.

Man, to think there'd be the day when they actually bring up Hasha no Tsurugi again. Between the resurrection of BSFE in New Mystery, this and Echoes, IS has done a great job of digging through the series's more obscure history.

Now I'm not sure where else they could dig...

Weebos

Banned
Excited for the Cipher DLC.

Some mild spoilers.

Placeholder data for Emma, Shade, Yuzu and Lando can be found in the game code. Plus combined with the data-mined DLC map names, we are almost definitely getting all 4 characters.

From the looks of things, Emma, Yuzu and Lando may have their own Combat Arts as well. Shade doesn't get anything since she's probably a spell-caster.

They're going to talk about this DLC this weekend, right?

Lynx_7

Ok, after Chapter 1 and 2's baptism by fire, H5 has become a lot more manageable. That was a hell of a bumpy start though
... maybe it was bumpy because of me tripping over the corpses of my fallen comrades.

I still don't get the hate for Shadow Dragon. Maybe I'm biased because it was my first contact with Fire Emblem but even after experiencing other titles in the franchise I still think it's pretty good. The narrative is simplistic but it has a certain old school charm to it that I really dig. The narrator gives me a brief understanding of the story and the scenario surrounding the next location I'm going to visit and my imagination kind of fills up the gaps. It almost feels like a role-playing session in a way. Art style isn't the prettiest, sure, but the maps are nicer to look at than those in the 3DS titles imo
(the mountains even look like actual mountains!)
. Maybe it takes a huge nosedive later on but so far I'm enjoying it just as much as the first time.

CazTGG

Ok, after Chapter 1 and 2's baptism by fire, H5 has become a lot more manageable. That was a hell of a bumpy start though
... maybe it was bumpy because of me tripping over the corpses of my fallen comrades.

I still don't get the hate for Shadow Dragon. Maybe I'm biased because it was my first contact with Fire Emblem but even after experiencing other titles in the franchise I still think it's pretty good. The narrative is simplistic but it has a certain old school charm to it that I really dig. The narrator gives me a brief understanding of the story and the scenario surrounding the next location I'm going to visit and my imagination kind of fills up the gaps. It almost feels like a role-playing session in a way. Art style isn't the prettiest, sure, but the maps are nicer to look at than those in the 3DS titles imo
(the mountains even look like actual mountains!)
. Maybe it takes a huge nosedive later on but so far I'm enjoying it just as much as the first time.

Shadow Dragon is fine for what it is. The problem, as I understand it, stems from how far the series has come in terms of characterization since most of the cast aside from Marth, Caeda and Nyna are given a few lines of dialogue if they're lucky, even with the additional conversations.

Rutger

Banned
Shadow Dragon is fine for what it is. The problem, as I understand it, stems from how far the series has come in terms of characterization since most of the cast aside from Marth, Caeda and Nyna are given a few lines of dialogue if they're lucky, even with the additional conversations.

Well, that's still the case if you ignore support conversations really.

I never got far in SD because I found it to be a little too simplistic mechanically.
That and the awful in game artstyle.

I thought Shadow Dragon was kind of lame when it first came out. I was in high school and had yet to fully appreciate the starvation that would come afterwards, and it was disappointing that after almost a decade of wanting to see Marth's story it turned out to be, well, a game released on the NES.

After watching dondon's 0% growths playthrough and going through it again as a better player on a harder difficulty I appreciate it a lot more now. It's still not my favorite or anything but it's pretty good, albeit still ugly as sin.

Chrom

Yeah, can't have Jemmy without Zeed after all.

I'm hoping the promoted Al, Tiena and Gant cards are suitable badass.

Man, to think there'd be the day when they actually bring up Hasha no Tsurugi again. Between the resurrection of BSFE in New Mystery, this and Echoes, IS has done a great job of digging through the series's more obscure history.

Now I'm not sure where else they could dig...

Maybe one day they'll remaster the FE OVA in HD.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The English voice acting for Echoes seems fantastic from what we've seen, but I'm still bummed about no dual audio. I love my Japanese battle cries, haha

At least it seems like it won't be an absolute loss like Fates was, going from JP -> EN. Just a matter of taste not being catered to this time. Unless the previews are of significantly higher quality than the rest of the game (which there's no reason to believe they are)

tauroxd

Anyone have any idea when the embargo on Reviews for Shadow of Valentia lifts? I thought it was going to be today because Nintendo tends to have end embargos a week before the release of the game.

CazTGG

Anyone have any idea when the embargo on Reviews for Shadow of Valentia lifts? I thought it was going to be today because Nintendo tends to have end embargos a week before the release of the game.

No idea; when it came time for review codes/copies for Fire Emblem Fates, NoC(anada) ended up handing them out a few days before the release date (I declined due to how close it was to the release date of the games) so I wouldn't be surprised if NoA/NoC only started delivering them today.

Chrom

No idea; when it came time for review codes/copies for Fire Emblem Fates, NoC(anada) ended up handing them out a few days before the release date (I declined due to how close it was to the release date of the games) so I wouldn't be surprised if NoA/NoC only started delivering them today.

They've been sent out for a while now already. The review embargo supposedly lifts in a few more days.

NeonZ

So, Musou will have original characters like Zelda? Hm... It didn't bother me with Zelda, but FE has many more viable character choices than it.

So, Musou will have original characters like Zelda? Hm... It didn't bother me with Zelda, but FE has many more viable character choices than it.

I think it's nice. If it was all familiar faces, it wouldn't be as surprising.

I imagine it will includes existing characters in Warriors too (eg. Chrom), like how Hasha also includes Binding Blade characters and not just OCs.

Golnei

Original musou characters would seem like a bit of a waste given the amount of ground there is to cover - and Chrom being identical to his Awakening design would appear to make new designs for returning characters unlikely.

Maybe one of them will be a new interpretation of Anna, at least.

Chrom

I think there's a good chance we'll get another look at FE Warriors next month during Nintendo's E3 event, so it may not be very long until we get answers about new characters, original or otherwise.

Lynx_7

Reclassed Barst to a mercenary and gave him a forged Iron Sword and he's the truth right now. I planned to do the first gaiden chapter in this playthrough for a bit of extra EXP and a supposedly decent unit but wasn't expecting the (infinite?) reinforcements on chapter 6. Things got a bit too overwhelming and I had to seize before being able to sacrifice all the trash units. Guess I'm skipping the gaiden chapters after all.

I never got far in SD because I found it to be a little too simplistic mechanically.
That and the awful in game artstyle.

What do you mean? Besides support conversations, I can't think of anything too notable that's missing. Unless you really love fog of war or something.

I really appreciate the entries with better narratives and characterization, but FE is one of those franchises with strong enough gameplay that I can play even the entries with the most basic characters/story and still have a good time. I can see why people looking for that wouldn't care too much for Shadow Dragon, but given the strong negative reactions to the title I expected some other reasons to exist.

Rutger

Banned
What do you mean? Besides support conversations, I can't think of anything too notable that's missing. Unless you really love fog of war or something.

Support conversations are a big one for me, since they add an extra layer to positioning and party composition. I also missed rescuing, RD's flexible skill system, and shoving(something I still wish would be brought back as a universal mechanic one day). I'll admit that simplifying things wasn't all bad though, since it also got rid of canto movement after attacking for mounted units(something I have never been a big fan of since I think it makes hit and run strategies a little too easy and drags out enemy phases.)

I imagine it's not too different from how some felt going from FE5 to FE6, haha. Anyways, I don't think it necessarily makes the game bad, but add in that I think the artstyle is unpleasant as well as how gaiden maps are accessed by having units die(which goes against how I like to play FE games), and I just wasn't motivated to see it through at the time and I haven't returned to it yet.

Maybe one day I will finally finish FE4 and I will think "I want to play through FE11 before I get to FE12..."
I will probably end up enjoying it more than FE4, haha.

Golnei

More like a step up.

I'm sure Echoes will represent a return to form after the series-wide low of Conquest's map design.

He's (the 3D model anyway) still has some slime, but it's hard to tell if you're looking at a still image

That's somewhat reassuring, but it does seem like he's been made more 'traditional dragon' overall. I was probably reading too much into his original sprite, but it appears to have had the potential to be interpreted in a more striking, distinctive fashion.

The one time I actually want the antagonist to be a slime monster, and they ignore the opportunity...

Chrom

Oh yeah Duma does still appear a bit slimy looking, just not as much as before.

As mentioned earlier Shun had made plans to make the Echoes OT, but I was recently asked to do so in their stead just in case that falls through, so you may or may not see me post it this Thursday.

Anyway!

C_2jlcdUAAEEcpO.png

Previously shown off during last weekend's livestream, here's a proper look at Al's SR card. His fervor is translated into gameplay by being able to attack multiple times a turn with the right conditions fulfilled.

Draxal

Yeah, I have a hard time seeing it living up to Conquest's gameplay, but I'm interested enough in seeing how the experiment works out.

It helps that I like the artwork.

I'm really looking forward to the music myself.

The 3DS games UI/Presentation values have skyrocketed, with this's game UI being really attractive. It's a shame FE Heroes is kinda ass in this regard.

Golnei

I can't wait to hear everything in context - I've held off on actually listening to Echoes' music until I can actually play the game, but it seems to be well-received. Looking back through Gaiden's soundtrack, some of those pieces will sound amazing updated.

Though I still think it was a mistake to discard the 'Ablaze' map variants and dynamic battle music in favour of discrete battle themes. They could have easily incorporated the original game's combat music elsewhere - as dedicated boss themes or used as the basis for new map themes that heavily expand on the original composition (like Michiru Yamane's Gaiden remix for Smash 4), for example.

The 3DS games UI/Presentation values have skyrocketed. It's a shame FE Heroes is kinda ass in this regard.

The character art is a frequent complaint, but Heroes' general production values - at least as regards UI and animated sprites - are decent enough. The backgrounds and maps are a little plain, but nothing particularly egregious.

As for the music, the original compositions are inoffensive; with production quality on par with the 3DS games. But I can't really speak for that aspect to that great a degree, since the sound design (particularly the use of separate battle themes + enemy phase as well as constantly restarting map themes from the beginning) is unbearable when applied to the general pace of its gameplay; and I think I lasted a day until muting it permanently.

spiritfox

The 3DS games UI/Presentation values have skyrocketed, with this's game UI being really attractive. It's a shame FE Heroes is kinda ass in this regard.

I find Heroes' UI clean and navigable, especially compared to some of the other gachas around. There are some duds in character art, yes, but there are some great ones too.

I find Heroes' UI clean and navigable, especially compared to some of the other gachas around. There are some duds in character art, yes, but there are some great ones too.
Heroes looks great for a mobile game, totally agree. So many mobile games get bogged down with their UI, heroes generally avoids that trap. Some of the character art is bad, but I like most of it too. They did a good job on it.

Heroes looks great for a mobile game, totally agree. So many mobile games get bogged down with their UI, heroes generally avoids that trap. Some of the character art is bad, but I like most of it too. They did a good job on it.
The Florina art is terrible.

Other then that, I really like Heroes simplistic UI. Works great as well, surprisingly more responsive then Mario Run for me

Chrom

It may be Shun, they already made arrangements to do the OT. But Shun also asked me recently to post for them instead as a favor in case they won't be able to. So I may or may not have it up instead.

Anyway!

C_7t7BFUwAAH_2W.png

I wish we got an official answer as to why Valbar was on the cover of the original Gaiden.

Top Bottom