• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

spiritfox

DF4Qn19V0AAk8mC.jpg

Look at these cheerful hunks.

https://twitter.com/kymg/status/891168066804908034

Man, I really hate the RNG in FE6. In chapter 7 I have Lance use horseslayer with 74 % to hit and he missed while cavalier with silver lance hit him with 40%. Just that one mistake I have to reset the chapter all over again.

The story for Fates is so bad.....

It's kinda beating a dead horse at this point, but it's a shame they squandered the potential so much. I can only imagine they bit off more than they could chew by trying (and pretty much failing) to maintain a coherent story between 3 paths.

Anyway, I was reminded that Lilith could have had a bigger role in the game.

Late spoilers for Birthright:

When Kaze is about to fall off the cliff at the end of the Wolfskin battle, it was going to be Lilith riding a Pegasus who saved his life. I guess Hinoka stole that role when they shoehorned her into the plot?

Draxal

It's kinda beating a dead horse at this point, but it's a shame they squandered the potential so much. I can only imagine they bit off more than they could chew by trying (and pretty much failing) to maintain a coherent story between 3 paths.

Anyway, I was reminded that Lilith could have had a bigger role in the game.

Late spoilers for Birthright:

When Kaze is about to fall off the cliff at the end of the Wolfskin battle, it was going to be Lilith riding a Pegasus who saved his life. I guess Hinoka stole that role when they shoehorned her into the plot?

Dumb fates question.

Since i had ryoma marry kagero, does it make me one of those incest shippers?

Dumb fates question.

Since i had ryoma marry kagero, does it make me one of those incest shippers?

Hmm, I'm a bit befuddled. Did you type the wrong character(s) or am I missing a relationship here?

Ryoma and Kagero aren't related, right? I don't recall them being cousins or anything. Unless you meant Ryoma and Corrin or something. That said, I haven't checked every support thread.

Draxal

Hmm, I'm a bit befuddled. Did you type the wrong character(s) or am I missing a relationship here?

Ryoma and Kagero aren't related, right? I don't recall them being cousins or anything. Unless you meant Ryoma and Corrin or something. That said, I haven't checked every support thread.

Oh

Kagero initially was supposed to be the elder sister until Kozaki created Hinoka and they forced her into the game with zero fanfare around her, I was kinda making fun of that development

Oh

Kagero initially was supposed to be the elder sister until Kozaki created Hinoka and they forced her into the game with zero fanfare around her, I was kinda making fun of that development

Ahaha, I see. Well, that's in an Outrealm that never happened then : P

Slightly related, I was really hoping for some (art) books that delved into Fates's and Echoes's development a bit more.

The bits and pieces we got from the Valentia Artbook etc. were a massive tease.

I guess it's never too late, considering the two Tellius games got theirs several years later.

And good riddance, I say. >:| Always felt...disappointed my Fighters would get a bow while random Pirates / Brigands would get bigger muscles.
I always liked when there was two footlocked classes per melee weapon and thought it was neat how there was the +crit option and the extra weapon option, even though we only occasionally get Soldier/Halberdier.

this also reminds me how cool (and random) Hawkeye's unique sprite was, I'm still not sure what warranted him getting his own

Lynx_7

Alright, I finally beat Revelation. After Birthright Lunatic proved frustrating for all the wrong reasons I really should've known better here, but yeah, by the end of the game I was playing Ryoma Emblem again. Didn't even bother with the chests on chapter 26 because it didn't seem worth the trouble. Also, what the hell was up with chapter 27? Here's a clusterfuck of high level units blocking your path to the boss, none of your characters can realistically tank them all without immense amounts of luck involved (except you know who), have fun! Maybe I was just completely tuned out at that point but I really didn't see any other solution. Endgame was good enough though, at least most of my deployed units got to contribute, and End of All always hypes me up. Better than whatever Birthright's Endgame had going for it at the very least.

It's not a bad game, but it's just... Uninspired, I guess? The gameplay kinda drags because of the high enemy density, reinforcements and time-consuming map gimmicks, and the rest of the game has nothing going for it. Character interactions are pretty dry, none of the "emotional" scenes land (and those top notch, quality sacrifices! Go see the dragon!), the story is just kinda there and a bit silly. The whole "trustnobodynotevenyourmom" shtick at Ananko's castle was pretty neat, though I can't help but think a better written game could've pulled that off better and actually made you paranoid the whole way through.

Anyway, yeah, probably my least favorite Fire Emblem campaign. Doesn't help that I played it right after Genealogy, SD and Echoes back to back, so fatigue started to set in pretty quickly. I need a break from FE now :p

You know what was a better game than Fates? ...Shadow Dragon.

No way... I have to disagree there, even though I liked that game.

At least with Fates, you can ignore the story and still enjoy the great gameplay.

Shadow Dragon didn't have anything going for it in the gameplay or story department, although to be fair, that's because they stuck so close to the blueprints of the original.

New Mystery on the other hand, that could be a better game than Fates.

Draxal

No way... I have to disagree there, even though I liked that game.

At least with Fates, you can ignore the story and still enjoy the great gameplay.

Shadow Dragon didn't have anything going for it in the gameplay or story department, although to be fair, that's because they stuck so close to the blueprints of the original.

New Mystery on the other hand, that could be a better game than Fates.

Shadow Dragon killed archanea in the west, for that I will never forgive the remake.

I like Fates better but Shadow Dragon is the last game to have the glory that is unlimited range warp
on its highest difficulty
so I don't want to hear any slander.

Chrom

I'm near the end of Echoes and have to say it's really impressed me with how much they've improved and fleshed out the original Gaiden. Strictly speaking as a remake it seems leaps and bounds better than Shadow Dragon and New Mystery. I would've liked if those games had been remade more like Echoes.

Lynx_7

I liked Shadow Dragon better than Birthright and Revelation tbh. SD H5 was more entertaining than BR/R Lunatic for the most part, and the narrative has at least some old school charm to it. Birthright and Revelation don't have much going for them besides a pretty good OST. Conquest is the only game in the package I legitimately liked despite its flaws, and maybe the reason I feel so down on the other two campaigns is because I played Conquest first.

At any case, I just hope they take some lessons from Fates and make something better for the Switch. Preferrably in a single package.

CazTGG

If there's anything Intelligent Systems should take away from Fates, it's that writing should be treated as a priority. Barring that, if they want to outsource the script they should give it to someone with a proven track record of complex writing within the industry like Yasumi Matsuno.

Golnei

If there's anything Intelligent Systems should take away from Fates, it's that writing should be treated as a priority. Barring that, if they want to outsource the script they should give it to someone with a proven track record of complex writing within the industry like Yasumi Matsuno.

I've said this before, but I really don't think that future entries having stories in the vein of Fates will diminish their potential popularity, as long as they can continue to deliver characters which resonate with and appeal to people. It's never been a priority for the series, and Fates only cemented that.

Erheller

I've said this before, but I really don't think that future entries having stories in the vein of Fates will diminish their potential popularity, as long as they can continue to deliver characters which resonate with and appeal to people. It's never been a priority for the series, and Fates only cemented that.

That's what I think, too, unfortunately. Fates sold very well despite its atrocious writing. SoV's plot by comparison was better (even if it had serious flaws), and while it wasn't a bomb, it also didn't sell as well as Awakening or Fates.

Conquest>Awakening>Birthright~Shadow Dragon>>>Revelation tbh

I probably have Awakening over more games than most of you guys huehuehue

Sölf

I still need to beat Echoes (still start of chapter 4). But Shadow Dragon? God, worst Fire Emblem game ever. The art is ugly like hell after those glorious sprites and 3D Models, it's back to SNES style graphics but in ugly looking 3D. The maps are okay, but the total lack of Story besides the bare bones just killed the game for me. I really had to force myself through it.

No idea how fun the game becomes on higher difficulties, as I rarly play FE above normal or hard on the newer ones. I actually think I haven't beaten a single FE on its highest difficulty yet, even though I probably started each and every single on (except for Fates, because after 3 FE games there I had enough of Fates for the next few years probably).

On another note, Cordelia joins the FE Warriors cast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4mm80e5Nww

Never did beat Conquest on Lunatic Classic 'cause of Endgame. lol

On the subject of Warriors, a few predictions:
Catria gets in over Caeda so she can hang with Cordelia.
Elise gets in over Leo because I have willed it.
Hinoka gets shafted because lol Hinoka.

Lynx_7

Conquest>Awakening>Birthright~Shadow Dragon>>>Revelation tbh

I probably have Awakening over more games than most of you guys huehuehue
Put SD above Birthright and that's pretty much how I'd rank them myself.

Awakening may fumble a bit in some areas but it's an overall pretty strong package and I find it a rather charming game. I also think the story in the first arc is legitimately pretty entertaining, although somewhat rushed. I want to replay it someday after I beat New Mystery.

Moonlight

Banned
Saw the news on Twitter earlier. Probably my favourite Anna design since Awakening.

Hammerspace purse sounds like the best/most natural direction for her to go. Would be a major waste to put her in a game and not fully leverage her merchant angle. Yank out random legendary weapons to chuck at people or something.

Golnei

I highly doubt he's ever going to come back either (outside of future remakes) - he's baggage that they have nothing to gain from acknowledging, and has no popularity of his own.

I do think that a version of Jake might have worked as an original character in Heroes (or Warriors) if they had gone in a different direction, as a base to build on for a generic male protagonist; but it's clear that's not a possibility that anyone has interest in following up on.

Top Bottom