• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

Chrom

Yeah. Empty recently announced new FE merch for August. The rubber keychains of the Awakening and Fates characters from the past few years are all getting re-released as acrylic key holders, plus there are now acrylic charms of the FE Heroes cast. There's a FE Heroes themed smartphone case too, looks nice.

DBtM1CKXYAAFHqX.png

Kilmar in Cipher! Like the touch of his first card having him in front of some graves.

Chrom

DByKyzUUMAAifbD.png
DBydrdkVoAIPgM-.png

Zeke joins Cipher, including his self when he's first found in Valentia. Amusingly, you can actually play him in tandem with Camus and Sirius since they're all treated as separated characters in the TCG.

Man, who would've thought that one handsome Paladin who "dies" in Shadow Dragon would come back in not one, but two games XD

Actually, counting BSFE and all the remakes, he's been in 7 games? I guess he holds the record alongside some of the Pegasus sisters.

Not counting Anna since we're not sure if they're all one and the same.

Draxal

DByKyzUUMAAifbD.png
DBydrdkVoAIPgM-.png

Zeke joins Cipher, including his self when he's first found in Valentia. Amusingly, you can actually play him in tandem with Camus and Sirius since they're all treated as separated characters in the TCG.

But you can't play Lucina and Marth at the same time (well at least Lucina's level 1 version).

Chrom

But you can't play Lucina and Marth at the same time (well at least Lucina's level 1 version).

Yeah her old ones do have that special condition where she is also considered a Marth card (meaning she can actually promote into a Marth, or conversely is unable to assist a Marth in combat, etc.), though the one that just came out in S8 actually does not for whatever reason.

Otherwise you generally ignore alternate character aliases/personalities with regards to the game mechanics since they're strictly treated as separated characters as long as the designated character name is unique. That's why they have to do things like adding the name Valentia in parentheses to Gray's cards because he actually shares his name with Asugi in Japanese. Wonder if they'll ever reprint Asugi's cards to say he's Hoshidan.

DB3JY9jUQAEdqvP.png

Jill gets an SR!

Lynx_7

Mystery of the Emblem remake with Echoes art, book 1 and no Kris? I guess I'd take it.
It'll never happen and shall forever remain "the game that got away" from the western fanbase

Chrom

For what it's worth, the Japanese name of the summoning focus is totally different (World of Mystery Renewed), so I dunno if it really means anything of significance. I bet they're totally aware of the tease though.

DCL5ts5U0AAPAGG.png

Dheginsea is ready for E3 today!

Draxal

Mystery of the Emblem remake with Echoes art, book 1 and no Kris? I guess I'd take it.
It'll never happen and shall forever remain "the game that got away" from the western fanbase

Ummm, Katarina is like the very first person shown in the video.

jzbluz

If they do another Mystery remake I hope they do it like FE3 with FE1 included. Although maybe that's too much since one of the things that irritated me about Fates was how long it was.

CazTGG

If they do another Mystery remake I hope they do it like FE3 with FE1 included. Although maybe that's too much since one of the things that irritated me about Fates was how long it was.

From what I remember playing, FE4 is even longer than FE3, even accounting for the remake of the original.

Playing my first Fire Emblem, FE:Awakening. People told me to play hard & perma-death and I got a few problems.

Perma death seems fine, but the hard difficulty is really beating me over the head. Having trouble beating chapter 5 without losing Maribelle.
Should I be keeping all units in pairs?
Should I be buying gear between each mission?
Any other tips

Draxal

Playing my first Fire Emblem, FE:Awakening. People told me to play hard & perma-death and I got a few problems.

Perma death seems fine, but the hard difficulty is really beating me over the head. Having trouble beating chapter 5 without losing Maribelle.
Should I be keeping all units in pairs?
Should I be buying gear between each mission?
Any other tips

Pair up is better in Awakening for sure.

Awakening has the traditional fire emblem curve (but even more exaggerated) in where the earlier levels are much harder then the later levels, especially if you don't abuse stuff like pair up or Robins veterancy skill.

I do think that playing casual is fine for Awakenings as long as just use it for battle saves.

Pair up is better in Awakening for sure.

Awakening has the traditional fire emblem curve (but even more exaggerated) in where the earlier levels are much harder then the later levels, especially if you don't abuse stuff like pair up or Robins veterancy skill.

I do think that playing casual is fine for Awakenings as long as just use it for battle saves.

Hey thanks!
Yea I got a bit further and it's definitely gotten much less difficult. Pretty fun game too.

The seals are weird. What's the most basic and simple way to use them. I'm supposed to wait till lvl 20 till I use a master seal right?

NeonZ

Yes, wait until level 20 before using Master Seals. If you want to change someone's base class though (like moving Virion from Archer to Wyvern Rider), you should go for a Second Seal as soon as possible (when they hit level 10). In that case, you could use a master seal on them by the time they hit level 10 again though, since they'll be effectively level 20.

Chrom

DCWE-RCV0AAUSru.png

I like how Caineghis is strictly speaking the most powerful character in the TCG.

Summer tour looks really good. I think July will be a good month for Cipher.

Draxal

Top 20 SRPGS from a Famitsu Poll

http://gonintendo.com/stories/282748-famitsu-readers-pick-their-top-20-favorite-simulation-games

20. Sim City (SFC) - 34 pt
19. Front Mission (SFC/WSC) - 38 pt
18. Famicom Wars (FC) - 46 pt
17. Sangokushi 13 (PS4/PS3/XBO/PC) - 50 pt
16. Super Robot Taisen Alpha (PSX/DC) - 56 pt
15. Fire Emblem if (3DS) - 64 pt
14. Tokimeki Memorial ~Forever With You~ (/PSX/SS/PCPSP) - 70 pt
13. Sakura Taisen 4 ~Koi Seyo, Otome~ (DC/PC) - 76 pt
12. Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryu to Hikari no Tsurugi (FC) - 88 pt
11. Kantai Collection -Kancolle- (PC/Android) - 98 pt
10. Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS) - 106 pt
09. Nobunaga no Yabou (PC) - 112 pt
08. Fire Emblem: Monshou no Nazo (SFC) - 136 pt
07. Sakura Taisen 2 ~Kimi, Shini Tamou Kotonakare~ (PSP/SS/DC/PC) - 142 pt
06. Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX) - 150 pt
05. Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu (SFC) - 176 pt
04. Senjou no Valkyria (PS4/PS3) - 218 pt
03. Tactics Ogre (SFC/PSX) - 252 pt
02. Sakura Taisen 3 ~Paris wa Moeteiru ka~ (PS2/DC/PC) - 334 pt
01. Sakura Taisen (SS/DC/PSP/PC) - 426

YES, if you combine 1 + 3, it would beat 4 with a total of 224.

Weebos

Banned

http://gonintendo.com/stories/282748-famitsu-readers-pick-their-top-20-favorite-simulation-games

I don't know the Japanese subtitles, but from your comments I assume FE4 was the top Fire Emblem? And 1 and 3 are the ones flanking Awakening?

Interesting to see Fates in there too, especially above the GBA games. I really like Fates, just surprised since it seems to get a bad rap.

Erheller

That Matsuno representation tho

14. Tokimeki Memorial ~Forever With You~ (/PSX/SS/PCPSP) - 70 pt

lol, isn't this an otome dating sim, or does it have actual SRPG stuff in it?

I don't know the Japanese subtitles, but from your comments I assume FE4 was the top Fire Emblem? And 1 and 3 are the ones flanking Awakening?

Interesting to see Fates in there too, especially above the GBA games. I really like Fates, just surprised since it seems to get a bad rap.

05. Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu (SFC) - 176 pt
08. Fire Emblem: Monshou no Nazo (SFC) - 136 pt
10. Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS) - 106 pt
12. Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryu to Hikari no Tsurugi (FC) - 88 pt
15. Fire Emblem if (3DS) - 64 pt

In order:

Draxal

That Matsuno representation tho

SRPGS mean Simulation RPGS in Japan's case (Strategy RPGS isn't a term that there iirc and if you recall the opening theme they call the game a simulation rpg), however, Simulation RPGS might be a broader category then what we would consider strategy rpgs in the west.

Lynx_7

Huh, so Japan loves Sakura Taisen eh? First place by a pretty big margin and also top 2. Is it legit or is the waifu factor too stronk? Is the one available on the Wii any good? I might give it a try.

Also, 4 is the only FE in the top 5 despite being a really old title. Sure makes you wonder how well it could do if the new fans were exposed to it, hmmmm. You know what to do, IS. You know you want to.

The other positions aren't really surprising to me. Japan loves Marth and 13 > 14 is to be expected.

Rutger

Banned
Also, 4 is the only FE in the top 5 despite being a really old title. Sure makes you wonder how well it could do if the new fans were exposed to it, hmmmm. You know what to do, IS. You know you want to.

Well, it has marriage and doesn't ask much from the player when it comes to strategies, so those that started with Awakening would at least feel right at home.

jzbluz

I'm surprised FE4 got so high. I wonder if Awakening and Fates made it more popular.

Nitpicking, but it's a dating sim for guys.

Well, it has marriage and doesn't ask much from the player when it comes to strategies, so those that started with Awakening would at least feel right at home.

Harsh.

Lynx_7

Shipping isn't that big of a deal in FE4 as a lot of fans make it out to be honestly, it's more of an unintrusive system that adds some replayability.

I'm sure a remake would turn it into something much more prominent, though.

Also someday Rutger will come here saying Echoes of the Holy War is one of his faves.

Shipping isn't that big of a deal in FE4 as a lot of fans make it out to be honestly, it's more of an unintrusive system that adds some replayability.

I'm sure a remake would turn it into something much more prominent, though.

Also someday Rutger will come here saying Echoes of the Holy War is one of his faves.

It is a big deal in the sense that it's why it has the fans that it does.

Rutger

Banned

I can honestly say that I would love for that to happen. I don't want to dislike a FE game.

I do think FE4 has some cool ideas and I can understand why so many enjoy it, it's just a shame that every time I try playing it that I find the whole experience tedious.

Lynx_7

It is a big deal in the sense that it's why it has the fans that it does.

I don't hang out much in FE communities outside of here so I wouldn't know. I just love the political intrigue, the way it presents the story, and the sheer scale of the narrative directly tying into the gameplay. It's a pretty memorable and unique experience as far as FE is concerned and it has a certain ambitiousness that I just love. It also has some pretty great villains and I'm always down with that. I can't be alone in having those opinions, right?

But I can see how a large portion of the fanbase might cling to this particular aspect and make a big deal out of it to the detriment of everything else. I am a Persona fan after all.

Draxal

The shipping in Awakening and Fates just like it was in FE4 was tacked on.

We all know the support convos from C-A then suddenly --> <3, was jarring for most relationships.

However, the conversation in the Awakening thread was 60% dominated by waifu talk, and 40% people complaining about it(the waifu talk).I think fe4 has the stronger cast, especially villain side, and the world building is inifinitely stronger than awakening., however alot of the popularity of that game is the characters (finn's the defualt husbando of a lot people); The shipping mechanics in these games are minimal, the conversations about them aren't.

I can honestly say that I would love for that to happen. I don't want to dislike a FE game.

I do think FE4 has some cool ideas and I can understand why so many enjoy it, it's just a shame that every time I try playing it that I find the whole experience tedious.

To be honest, whenever you talk about FE4 i really can't make a good rebuttal, i'm like damn yep, i certainly see your pov for each of your points.

Rutger

Banned
To be honest, whenever you talk about FE4 i really can't make a good rebuttal, i'm like damn yep, i certainly see your pov for each of your points.

The thing is, I kind of feel bad talking about the game like that when I haven't even finished it yet. I don't even know why I felt like making my earlier post, haha. It's something I've been playing on and off again for years now, maybe I'll see it through on day.

jzbluz

I loved FE4 back in the days, mainly because I love pairing up characters and the marriage and children mechanics are still the best implemented. I found the maps interesting and I liked having the use of all the characters at the same time. Sure the game is easy and I only remember having trouble in the wyvern map in the second gen, but my first game was FE8 so while I always enjoyed a challenge, it isn't necessary for me to like a game.

Playing SoV and the other 3DS games has shown that I'm not as patient as I used to be, and I can see how tedious FE4 is now without having to replay it. I loved SoV, but I hope if IS does remake FE4 that they do a better job making things more modern and challenging.

Top Bottom