• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar15

Yeah you're right, there are some things like that in older FEs, but it didn't feel like it was always the case or the supports are also revolved around both characters gimmicks*

I'd say they're just a bit more exaggerated. I get the annoyance with them, some of them are super silly. Fates had some real dumb ones. That said, a lot of older support convos are dry as hell.

This line, though:

Tanith: I may be a fine warrior, but... It's embarrassing to admit, but I can't even crack an egg without hurting someone. The last meal I prepared at the academy took three of our finest generals out of action for nearly a month.

lol.

No I think the real problem would be the (HUGE Spoiller FF4)
I mentally control my half sister and do some child with her
part.

More FE Geneology spoilers.
I'm not trying to downplay the incest nonsense that should never have been in a game.

I just think they'd probably let it happen especially since you could, in roundabout ways get cousins once removed boning thanks to Robin/Morgan and time travelling future kids in awakening.

Especially VS they wouldn't even let a single good character remain dead in Awakening, with Chroms mother sister somehow coming back from the dead. I just doubt that they'd kill a significant portion of the playable cast in a game they release now.

redcrayon

I quite like the bold red/black/white typography, as a nod to the original but also giving it its own identity compared to the other 3DS games favouring blue and green. Looks more severe but very smart.

I'm not trying to downplay the incest nonsense that should never have been in a game.

I just think they'd probably let it happen especially since you could, in roundabout ways get cousins once removed boning thanks to Robin/Morgan and time travelling future kids in awakening.

Especially VS they wouldn't even let a single good character remain dead in Awakening, with Chroms mother somehow coming back from the dead. I just doubt that they'd kill a significant portion of the playable cast in a game they release now.
Sister. Chrom parents are dead.

I'd say they're just a bit more exaggerated. I get the annoyance with them, some of them are super silly. Fates had some real dumb ones. That said, a lot of older support convos are dry as hell.

I've been replaying POR for the first time since the game came out since I never finished it and I really like that on top of the supports there are info conversations with your team members/other npcs that give a little bit of extra context for characters motivations and help flesh them out a bit. Plus the support convos seem pretty good so far, though maybe there are some bad ones, I haven't finished my playthrough yet.

Edit: Lol just as I post I see your edit with a pretty silly support convo from POR

Lol amazon prime. They still haven't shipped the game.

I haven't played them then, and i finished Shadow Dragon, Blazing Blade, Sacred Stones and the Ike games before the new ones.

What if, by accident, people actually do like those two games more than older entries?

Neither have I. Man, the older Fire Emblems are so mechanically rough these days. Fates, particularly Conquest, did so many positive things gameplay wise that I can't really justify replaying most of the previous games.

Awakening has some design issues, but I'd still easily take it over Sacred Stones, Path of Radiance, and Radiant Dawn.

Binding Blade and Blazing Sword are the only two contenders IMO, because the map design and challenge still remains great. Elibe is a charming universe.

I will commend Geneaology of the Holy War and Thracia 776 for strong world building and actual good writing, but they seriously need an update and actual English release.

Seeing how successful this Gaiden remake seems to be, I definitely think the Jugdral games could (and should) get an opportunity to be modernized and be legitimately amazing games.

I don't have money (or time, really) to get Shadows of Valentia day one, but I'm certainly picking this up at some point during this year.

Wilsongt

Especially VS they wouldn't even let a single good character remain dead in Awakening, with Chroms mother sister somehow coming back from the dead. I just doubt that they'd kill a significant portion of the playable cast in a game they release now.

Most of the women lived to have children. I think the bigger issue would be watching Quan and Ethlin murdered on screen, Athena stolen away, and having Tinny tell Arthur that their mother was abused to death by Hilda.

Dreamlongdead said:
Binding Blade and Blazing Sword are the only two contenders IMO, because the map design and challenge still remains great. Elibe is a charming universe.
Are you insulting the map design in Path of Radiance?
That's it, I challenge you to a duel at dawn.

edit:Now I'm not actually sure if I was thinking of 9 or 10, haha. It's been too long, get on those remakes Nintendo.

Lunar15

I've been replaying POR for the first time since the game came out since I never finished it and I really like that on top of the supports there are info conversations with your team members/other npcs that give a little bit of extra context for characters motivations and help flesh them out a bit. Plus the support convos seem pretty good so far, though maybe there are some bad ones, I haven't finished my playthrough yet.

Edit: Lol just as I post I see your edit with a pretty silly support convo from POR

Base convos were great. The fact that they haven't implemented this in an FE game since is mind boggling.

I don't mind silly supports and I don't mind dry supports. There's a definite shift in overall tone from past FE's to Awakening though, and I think they just changed the humor to stay with the times. I don't have a huge issue with that. It's just that with Awakening and Fates the character gimmicks are very, very pronounced (which actually probably makes them more memorable in the long run). It rubs off on people the wrong way.

Awakening I was fine with because that game is just constant callbacks to previous games and it's kind of a celebration of the series in a way. The fact that they double down on it in Fates too was where I got a little concerned.

Kraq

Really glad this is getting good reviews, I want to see more traditional FEs getting released. Conquest is fantastic gameplay wise (best in the series), but Birthright and Revelation are mediocre and Awakening just falls apart after the Mila Tree, although it was a tossup even prior to that. Anyone who turns their nose up at the pre-3DS titles is not doing themselves a favour.

And throw in an FE4 remake while we're at it. There's nothing wrong with a dark plot, and developers should not be afraid to cater to a more mature audience.

If they do Geneology of the Holy War.

Will it be
1 whole game or maybe split into 2?

I doubt it, but they could build up the narrative a bit more. Sometimes. Things just happen In Geneology

Huh with all the talk of boring map design from early impressions I was expecting scores closer to 8. Scores in FE games matter very very little to me but I'm happy to see it be higher than expected! Can't wait for that awesome artstyle and no waifu gameplay~

PK Gaming

Base convos were great. The fact that they haven't implemented this in an FE game since is mind boggling.

I don't mind silly supports and I don't mind dry supports. There's a definite shift in overall tone from past FE's to Awakening though, and I think they just changed the humor to stay with the times. I don't have a huge issue with that. It's just that with Awakening and Fates the character gimmicks are very, very pronounced (which actually probably makes them more memorable in the long run). It rubs off on people the wrong way.

Awakening I was fine with because that game is just constant callbacks to previous games and it's kind of a celebration of the series in a way. The fact that they double down on it in Fates too was where I got a little concerned.

Forreal. The narrative that Support conversations went to shit in the Awakening/Fates era is such nonsense. It's just a different take altogether (one that I generally prefer them since they're meaty).

I feel like Echoes's is actually step back from the GBA era since supports are incredibly short, and characters don't get to support with many people. No more amazingly unexpected Vaida x Canas type supports either (to my knowledge).

Huh with all the talk of boring map design from early impressions I was expecting scores closer to 8. Scores in FE games matter very very little to me but I'm happy to see it be higher than expected! Can't wait for that awesome artstyle and no waifu gameplay~

That would imply reviews care about map design....but just look at Awakening/not Conquest reviews.

Loved awakening, hated fates.
Heros got me intereted in the series again and it looks like it'll be a bit grittier and classic - guess I'll keep my preorder then! (Have absolutely no time to play it though)

DNAbro

People said Birthright had shit map design and I had no problem with it. I think Fire Emblem fan standards are just different. I pretty much avoid Fire Emblem fans opinions on the series.

Steiner

Banned
WWG's review will be here soon. Unfortunately my copy didn't get here until the weekend, when I was balls-deep in my Injustice 2 review. Want to make sure I take my time with this, and the timing was unfortunate.

It is an incredible Fire Emblem Game though. Might replace Awakening as my favorite.

Weebos

Banned
Does every Fire Emblem thread have to devolve into game vs game nonsense?

Is this the price we pay for it becoming successful?

Are you insulting the map design in Path of Radiance?
That's it, I challenge you to a duel at dawn.

edit:Now I'm not actually sure if I was thinking of 9 or 10, haha. It's been too long, get on those remakes Nintendo.

Actually, I'm not. Path of Radiance has OK map design and objective variety, but it is just too easy.

Radiant Dawn is much more challenging (and rewarding) from a gameplay standpoint. It's got some really epic set pieces, and the map objectives are better than its predecessor. The defensive maps are ace!

The main problem with RD is that it lacks replayability. There are really no opportunities to run diverse teams until the very end. The pacing is actually a huge problem. The game's structure makes it unique, but hurts it too.

I just don't think the Tellius universe is really special at all. I think the human allies aside from the Greil Mercenaries are really lackluster. It's funny how much more I like the villains. Black Knight is particularly an amazing character.

"Yaaaaay no waifu's~"

You guys realize that you're about to play a game with characters like this, right?

Let's not beat around the bush. FE always had waifus.

"Waifu" isn't a synonym for "female character", despite how much anime fans have tried to make it one in the last couple of years.

And why would you call Delthea a waifu? She's 13.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
My review:
Switchitalia: 8.5/10

"A well balanced mix between old approach and new elements, for an episode that risks to become the most beloved Fire Emblem on the 3DS family system for a certain group of FE fans"

I think it's because Nintendo tries to differentiate every entry in a series with enough changes to make it stand on its own but also affect people's perception of the product

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Lemme ask you this. Do you love, and I mean LOOOOVE, the Fire Emblem romance tumblr shipping crap? If your answer is yes, this game is not for you. If you're a normal person, you should play this game.
I love this post

Game seems great. Gaiden is the one classic game I've never touched, so I'm hyped to go in blind for this one.

Unfortunately us lowly English speakers can't play it without pirating and a patch because NoA decided it wasn't worth the effort to release after Shadow Dragon bombed.

Not sure if I missed a mention, but Echoes has base conversations. There are 3 for each character (plus an extra 1 for Gray and Tobin because they love Clair so much).

I really enjoyed them since they provide more insight into the characters (who were paper thin in the original Gaiden).

PK Gaming

"Waifu" isn't a synonym for "female character", despite how much anime fans have tried to make it one in the last couple of years.

Does it matter? Nowadays it's pretty much synonymous with "female character"... we literally have a waifu thread for Persona 5.

And why would you call Delthea a waifu? She's 13.

To preface, i'm not saying she's a waifu because that would be creepy. But you would have be to willfully ignorant if you think that she's not pandering to a certain demographic.

R0ckman

Lol amazon prime. They still haven't shipped the game.

I haven't played them then, and i finished Shadow Dragon, Blazing Blade, Sacred Stones and the Ike games before the new ones.

What if, by accident, people actually do like those two games more than older entries?

Well according to the devs, the Fates and Awakening formula is pretty much the only thing Nintendo will allow them to keep making 100%. These are obviously what are going to sell... The old formula won't cut it. I'm fine with a bone being tossed to older fans every 3 or 4 games.

To preface, i'm not saying she's a waifu because that would be creepy. But you would have be to willfully ignorant if you think that she's not pandering to a certain demographic.

She just looks like a little girl to me? I'm getting kinda off-topic here but it's pretty fucking sad if we really live in a world where young female characters can't exist without automatically being seen as pandering to pedophiles.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Got the special edition on pre-order and the back section of my wallet filled for the season pass DLC. Bring on Gaiden!

As to the people drawing a line between Awakening/Fates and the rest of the series; they're all from the same family, just minor things dropped and added here and there. Some people act as if it's a total genre shift between the new and old installments.

If the only reason you bought those games is due to the "waifus" and avatar system, there's thousands of visual novel games just for you. If there's other things you like about the series, such as the stellar gameplay, music, art work, etc., get Echoes. You'll love it.

R0ckman

Unfortunately us lowly English speakers can't play it without pirating and a patch because NoA decided it wasn't worth the effort to release after Shadow Dragon bombed.

It bombed because they thought it was cute to make a DS remake almost 1:1 with an early NES game.

Lynx_7

(Genealogy spoilers)
Why shouldn't it have been in the game? Of all FE games Genealogy is the one that actually handles incest seriously and doesn't play it up as a fetish. At any case I don't think either IS or Nintendo have much of an issue with the subject considering Fates.

I don't think there's anything in Genealogy that should make them hesitate on a remake. The game handles some dark subject matters, but nothing that they can't get away with in a T rated game. As for the developers not wanting to kill off characters, I like to believe they still have it in them to keep characters dead, specially since Emmerin was just a streetpass thing and in my mind her coming back isn't canon since it's not part of the main game :p

I think the biggest problem might actually be the child hunts but Genealogy doesn't really dwelve into it that much so it shouldn't be an issue.

Draxal

I'm pretty sure there's one in Path of Radiance too.

Edit: Just checked. lmao, Tanith/Oscar A Support rank is literally Tanith talking about how she can't crack an egg.

Anyway, none of this matters all that much.

Tbf, I think it does matter. I don't think players are that critical of their favorite games, like I love Fe4 but it has alot of jank that will rightly turn off people.

Acid08

Banned

Old FE fans shit blood if they go too long without reminding everyone how bad the new games and their fans are zzzzzzzzzz

Really tempted to get this - Sacred Stones was my first Fire Emblem game, and while I really enjoyed Awakening, I generally disliked most versions of Fates (especially its story), and enjoyed Path of Radiance when I replayed it recently.

It seems that based on this, Shadows of Valentia is something I'll enjoy.

Draxal

Really tempted to get this - Sacred Stones was my first Fire Emblem game, and while I really enjoyed Awakening, I generally disliked most versions of Fates (especially its story), and enjoyed Path of Radiance when I replayed it recently.

It seems that based on this, Shadows of Valentia is something I'll enjoy.

Sacred Stones was a spiritual sequel to Gaiden. So it's definitely worth a play if you like Sacred Stones alot.

Very much looking forward to this. I'm a fan of new and old FE but after Awakening/Fates I think a return to the classic style will be a welcome breath of fresh air for me.

Best game series just keeps giving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom