• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates |OT| Nohr does what Hoshidon't

PBalfredo

That's why you check enemy skills, counter doesn't even activate when the enemy initiates the battle.

Check the units beforehand. Not too many have them. Most of the time, it will be on archers/berserkers.

And Faceless too, which is a pain since those guys tend to come in hordes with a few with Counter/Countermagic scattered throughout. After they move, it can be real easy to lose track of who has what skill. You can sort through and mark them, but that quickly becomes messy, especially when also trying mark units for other purposes, such as judging individual ranges. That just leads to asking constantly asking myself "why is that guy marked?" and double checking dudes, which has to be done on its own time by mousing through enemies; you can't easily check enemy skills when moving your own dudes and bringing up the battle forecast.

Even something as simple as enemies with Counter having the ( ! ) warning bubble appear over their heads when you move a unit within melee range the same way archers are marked when you're moving fliers would easily clue the player into who to watch out for.

And Faceless too, which is a pain since those guys tend to come in hordes with a few with Counter/Countermagic scattered throughout. After they move, it can be real easy to lose track of who has what skill. You can sort through and mark them, but that quickly becomes messy, especially when also trying mark units for other purposes, such as judging individual ranges. That just leads to asking constantly asking myself "why is that guy marked?" and double checking dudes, which has to be done on its own time by mousing through enemies; you can't easily check enemy skills when moving your own dudes and bringing up the battle forecast.

Even something as simple as enemies with Counter having the ( ! ) warning bubble appear over their heads when you move a unit within melee range the same way archers are marked when you're moving fliers would easily clue the player into who to watch out for.
You can easily view skills before you do anything. Just sounds like your not paying attention or too lazy too.

Also off topic, but in other games they mention you can see skills because of the Tactician in your team. Like in Awakening, Robin saids he can see things, so maybe you shouldn't even be able to :p. Jk that would be horrible.

PK Gaming

My new OTP:

ChjkP8RXIAETESb.jpg

Faceless have Counter(magic)? where, they don't in chapter 7, 21 or 26 of Conquest

PBalfredo

Faceless have Counter(magic)? where, they don't in chapter 7, 21 or 26 of Conquest

Everywhere? At least that's been the case for me (Birthright, Hard). Specifically I know they appear in the map vs Leo in the swamp, Rhajat's paralogue and Challenge maps.

You can easily view skills before you do anything. Just sounds like your not paying attention or too lazy too.

Also off topic, but in other games they mention you can see skills because of the Tactician in your team. Like in Awakening, Robin saids he can see things, so maybe you shouldn't even be able to :p. Jk that would be horrible.

Precedence has already been set for the game giving you extra warnings when engaging with enemies who have special property weapons equipped (beast-killers, sword-breakers, bows vs fliers, etc) which could be checked just as easily as skills. When chewing through enemy units by the dozen, some Counter users are bound to slip through, which is a pain since Counter specifically is a troll skill that punishes your own strength. There's a reason you see them on punching bags like archers and Faceless.

CazTGG

I think that was just Awakening which tried to explain away one of those ludo narcissist biscuits or whatever your preferred term is for "the punchline to every video game web comic ever" that people make fun of like the disguises in Rekka No Ken.

Everywhere? At least that's been the case for me (Birthright, Hard). Specifically I know they appear in the map vs Leo in the swamp, Rhajat's paralogue and Challenge maps.

Leo's chapter has like 2 Faceless with Counter (1 at the start, one in the massive wave of reinforcements Leo triggers), chapter 20 Birthright has one Faceless with Counter and one with Countermagic, Rhajat's paralogue doesn't have any with Counter at the start either, so it's trivial to mark them especially because the faceless in those three chapters are jokes (especially in chapter 18+20).

Shinypogs

Speaking of Awakening I'm about to do my first ever run if it and will likely have at least half a dozen resets caused by trying to use a fates mechanic ( try to talk to recruitable people with avatar instead of the protagonist and letting their ai get them killed as they ignore me, messing up the weapon triangle especially with magic, forgetting that reinforcements can apparently attack you on the turn they spawn and not placing army correctly as a result etc). I also imagine I'll curse at least once while getting used to having to replace weapons because I like to hoard my money in games until I absolutely have to spend it.
~
I'm also debating just starting my lunatic birthright run with witch corrin and picking up nosferatu via battle ranking rewards about halfway through the game since I'm itching to start that next run and grinding enough points for the tome is going to take weeks.

Is it always like this with your first fire emblem game? I've done 5 complete runs spread over the 3 paths since I picked up the fates games and I have more planned then I will have save slots for. I haven't put this much consecutive time into a game that wasn't dota since my back-to-back runs of pillars of eternity plus both parts of dlc.

KSai

I put over 300 hours into Awakening, so that sounds normal.

I hate these damn kitsune. I don't want to play Conquest anymore. I might just start Dark Souls 3.

Azuran

Banned
~
I'm also debating just starting my lunatic birthright run with witch corrin and picking up nosferatu via battle ranking rewards about halfway through the game since I'm itching to start that next run and grinding enough points for the tome is going to take weeks.

Is it always like this with your first fire emblem game? I've done 5 complete runs spread over the 3 paths since I picked up the fates games and I have more planned then I will have save slots for. I haven't put this much consecutive time into a game that wasn't dota since my back-to-back runs of pillars of eternity plus both parts of dlc.

It's always like that for every Fire Emblem game. I have almost 300 hours in Fates, and over 500 hours in Awakening and I assume the same for both FE7 and Path of Radiance.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So Invasion 3 (Conquest) is pretty tough, eh?

I have one more Paralogue to finish, then Invasion 3, and then Final Chapter.

This game has been a real surprise. As much I enjoyed Awakening, I would never go back to it - this game blows it away by every mile. I didn't think at the start of the year I would even play this game, and this game has already beat a lot of my Play Log records in my entire 3DS lifespan.

Excellent game, I think I'll save playing Revelations for the Fall when there is a drought of things to play.

Oh chapter 15 of revelations and my I cannot figure out my favorites in my party yet. I've been evenly leveling everyone until I figure that out. Biggest standouts are my unit the Master of Arms and Mozu the Dread Knight.

As for pairing the only ones I have so far are Kaze and Oboro, Hana and Jakob along with Hayato and Sakura. Been trying to pair Takumi and Camila but it feels like its taking forever.

Finally finished Revelation in 2 days. Took a long break after beating both birthright and conquest. Great stuff overall.

Any of the DLC worth it?

Oh chapter 15 of revelations and my I cannot figure out my favorites in my party yet. I've been evenly leveling everyone until I figure that out. Biggest standouts are my unit the Master of Arms and Mozu the Dread Knight.

As for pairing the only ones I have so far are Kaze and Oboro, Hana and Jakob along with Hayato and Sakura. Been trying to pair Takumi and Camila but it feels like its taking forever.

I advise against making final decisions on partymaking until after Chapter 17.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Finally finished Revelation in 2 days. Took a long break after beating both birthright and conquest. Great stuff overall.

Any of the DLC worth it?

How was Revelations compared to Conquest (Hard/Casual)?

I just finished Conquest last night, ~75 hours! I'm wondering if Revelations will take as long to finish or does it go by a little quicker?

I figure for $20 it'll probably be worth it, even if the maps aren't as good as Conquest.

Javier

Revelation earlygame is kind of a drag since you have very few units which kinda forces you to take the maps slow. It's around Ch.12 where the pace picks up for the better.

It has its problems, but overall, I enjoyed it.

Xenoflare

My current Sakura has 29 speed at level 7 as a priestess with Shining Bow doubling everything in her way except maybe for swordmasters and ninjas

Her damage output exceeds Leo

I think 29 speed at 20/7 for her is not that common

....she is 1 speed faster than Ryoma at the same level

wow

Shinypogs

I thought the villagers in Sophie's paralogue were stupid and suicidal but the ones in paralogue 3 of awakening are even worse. They've been like this the whole series haven't they?

Javier

I thought the villagers in Sophie's paralogue were stupid and suicidal but the ones in paralogue 3 of awakening are even worse. They've been like this the whole series haven't they?
Yeah. FE4 and FE5 also had escaping Villagers who would run in a set pattern regardless if there are enemies there or not.

I've got a question that I hope can be answered here. I have always been using Azura because I like her Sing ability. I decided to use a Seal on her (from the DLC) and upgraded her to a Great Lord and it seems that she has lost her Sing ability. How do I get it back? Is it possible to have Sing as a Great Lord?

Any help is hugely appreciated!

I've got a question that I hope can be answered here. I have always been using Azura because I like her Sing ability. I decided to use a Seal on her (from the DLC) and upgraded her to a Great Lord and it seems that she has lost her Sing ability. How do I get it back? Is it possible to have Sing as a Great Lord?

Any help is hugely appreciated!
No. Only the dancer can Sing.

CazTGG

Revelation suffers the most from "show, don't tell" in terms of the main events of the story, namely in relation to its themes of trust and
Gunter's betrayal being so obviously telegraphed that a newborn could figure it out. Also the whole "you will live as a traitor since this war isn't over yet" angle was handled way better in Sacred Stones.
It's not as bad as Conquest, it's just so thoroughly disappointing. Could have done without the incest too.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Ok, so I need to change her back to a dancer then. Would I do this with a Master Seal?

Edit: I see that I can change her to a Songstress with the Heart Seal. Pretty significant attribute drop doing that, though.

She's supposed to be used as a Singer, I don't think anyone classes her something different unless they want a more challenging experience. So basically having her attack something is useless because she doesn't really need experience, since she's never supposed to be in combat. I guess your only motivation for leveling up as a singer is that she would be able to take a hit if targeted during EP.

Ok, so I need to change her back to a dancer then. Would I do this with a Master Seal?

Edit: I see that I can change her to a Songstress with the Heart Seal. Pretty significant attribute drop doing that, though.

You're never gonna be using Azura for combat anyways. As long as her dodge is good you're pretty much fine.

She's supposed to be used as a Singer, I don't think anyone classes her something different unless they want a more challenging experience. So basically having her attack something is useless because she doesn't really need experience, since she's never supposed to be in combat. I guess your only motivation for leveling up as a singer is that she would be able to take a hit if targeted during EP.

You're never gonna be using Azura for combat anyways. As long as her dodge is good you're pretty much fine.

Sounds like I messed up. Ok, so I guess I change her to a Songstress then? I don't see anything that I can use to turn her back into just a Singer. Thanks so much to both of you for your help.

Hm, Invasion 3 was really disappointing on Conquest
Normal
. I beat it in three turns. In Birthright Hard, the enemies just came in wave after wave.

Shinypogs

Yeah. FE4 and FE5 also had escaping Villagers who would run in a set pattern regardless if there are enemies there or not.

An annoying tradition unlikely to change then. I do like that in a couple cases In fates you get better rewards the more people you save whereas I got junk for saving everyone past one person In that paralogue.

Speaking of shoddy AI Tharja signed her death warrant in her recruitment chapter by attacking the only target available that could hit her back despite my avatar having more res than many units in range who couldn't retaliate. I was one turn away from getting chrom to safely talk with her but it wasn't meant to be this run and she was gonna be instant benched anyways.

Vaike is like a better Arthur in competence and personality. Still, I sometimes whisper Arthur's crit lines when vaike crits and I wanna marry him to the wyvern rider woman so I can call his son percy all the time for amusement.

Silly question but is my castle eegion free? Can I add and visit all the euro gaffers when they get the game as long as I have their castle address?

Azuran

Banned
Speaking of shoddy AI Tharja signed her death warrant in her recruitment chapter by attacking the only target available that could hit her back despite my avatar having more res than many units in range who couldn't retaliate. I was one turn away from getting chrom to safely talk with her but it wasn't meant to be this run and she was gonna be instant benched anyways.

Restart the game this instant.

L95

At least in 8 the villagers stood still lol (Feeding small children to giant mountain spiders is fucked and you better save them :mad: )

...Are there any villagers you have to defend in 7? I know there's Merlinus, but I seem to recall him being the single one.

Javier

At least in 8 the villagers stood still lol (Feeding small children to giant mountain spiders is fucked and you better save them :mad: )

...Are there any villagers you have to defend in 7? I know there's Merlinus, but I seem to recall him being the single one.
Well, it's not like the villagers in that chapter in FE8 had anywhere to run, as they were set up with mountains all around. There was a later map where you recruit Syrene and there were lots of villagers just standing there in the middle of the field. They don't even attempt to move.

FE7 also had you defend an unconscious Nils in one map and Zephiel in another (incredibly annoying) map.

FE10 had the Villagers in the swamp map.

Shinypogs

Restart the game this instant.

Nope, Henry is my planned dark mage for this run and while I do like doing full recruitment I can live without Tharja or her kid my first time around. I went into Awakening with an idea that this first run is me picking the characters I want to use for my own reasons and finding a way to make it work on hard/classic. It won't be as efficient and stompy as an optimized run but it's more fun this way.

I'm also playing with the japanese voice acting which is great and while most of fates voice acting is fine I would have loved a dual audio option.

L95

Well, it's not like the villagers in that chapter in FE8 had anywhere to run, as they were set up with mountains all around. There was a later map where you recruit Syrene and there were lots of villagers just standing there in the middle of the field. They don't even attempt to move.

FE7 also had you defend an unconscious Nils in one map and Zephiel in another (incredibly annoying) map.

FE10 had the Villagers in the swamp map.

I always thought it was kinda cool Zephiel was actually able to fight back with his silver sword.

demonkaze

When is a good point in doing the dlc? I have the map packs and I've already finished Birthright and up to chapter 10 of Conquest. I do intend on playing Revelation after so is it better to save the dlc for then? Also, is it worth it to give the any of the conquest characters the dlc classes (I already have Odin as Dread)?

In Conquest is there anywhere else to grind relationship besides the Before Awakendings Xenologue?

My Castle battles. The ones that are easy seize are the best.

When is a good point in doing the dlc? I have the map packs and I've already finished Birthright and up to chapter 10 of Conquest. I do intend on playing Revelation after so is it better to save the dlc for then? Also, is it worth it to give the any of the conquest characters the dlc classes (I already have Odin as Dread)?

You can do them whenever you want. However, they scale, so doing them at Ch. 25 will be harder than doing them at Ch. 10. I've only noticed this as a problem in Conquest though, because you can grind in the other levels. Do the DLC when your characters are high-leveled(promoted) or when it becomes easy for you. It is worth it to give Conquest characters DLC classes. I'd suggest Mozu to Dread Fighter.

Boogiepop

Okay, finally got around to finishing my first playthrough, of Birthright, and I have some questions. (Oh, and I suppose this makes for spoilers for this version to some degree, so I'll mark everything just to be safe).

First off, what exactly was the "pick 5 characters" for? it was incredibly unclear and was just like "okay, saved". Oh, and it's weird to me that (especially after Awakening had done such a thing), beating the game seems to have unlocked a log of support conversations and other such extras, or a lunatic mode or anything.

Also, I went with Hard mode to start with for the first time in a Fire Emblem. And geeze, that certainly did what it said, as it was VERY hard to tank hits and took some real caution to get by. Definitely had quite a few soft resets due to character deaths. And geeze, hard mode made the ending map especially insane. Not as in "hard to beat", but since they surround you so thoroughly, you're pretty much boned and can only safely hide a few characters and have to essentially sacrifice at least a few... Aaaaand I just realized that "pairing up" would've saved those 5 or so deaths I painfully tanked to get to the ending. Guess that not coming to mind is because I never used it, which may in itself be a problem. Also surprising (but I was VERY grateful for it) was that dragon Garon just kind of walked forward to let me wack at him until I won, instead of messing with those scary looking Dragon Veins or whatever.

And while I'm sure this is partially due to my poor optimization of the player character, and I'm sure Revelations will probably do something about it... good lord did my player character end up weak by the end due to the lack of an evolved form and capping at 20. Just was pure dead weight for at least half of the game. Ryoma had a similar "not evolving after 20 and hits that level real fast" issue which made him and EXP sponge if you let him, but he was also an ungodly powerful unit, so... yeah.

Oh, and it may have been hard mode making the designs shine due to forcing you to play by their rules, but there were some very nice maps. In particular, the Opera House one may have my favorite objective design+map layout in the series, as it's just super cleverly crafted.

But yeah, thanks to all the resets, that jacked up to a massive 37.5 hour playtime for a single playthrough, so I think I'll take a temporary break, but I'll definitely come back for the other two playthroughs. Oh, and one last thing: I was frustratingly exactly ONE heart from a full set for my player character's husband in the little house. What would getting that have done?

Ah, and one more quick question: Nohr/Conquest (and presumably possibly Revelations?) are supposed to be harder and have less/no grinding, right? Considering Birthright on hard put up a pretty serious fight, should I drop down to normal for those to not end up with some insane amount of difficulty that I can't handle, or is it not THAT much worse?

Edit: Also, how's the DLC this time around?

Top Bottom