• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates Reviews Thread

revelations is the 3rd route meant to be played after playing the other 2 routes as it spoils alot of information.

Yeah, I understand that, but is it an entire game, as long as the other two? I always assumed it was a DLC expansion that wasn't nearly as long as the two "base" games.

Edit- Nevermind, got some more answers. Thanks guys.

wrowa

Was Conquest too hard?

"but I desperately wanted more time with my army, on and off the battlefield."

Sounds like the reviewer is not a fan of the more classical approach to the progression system, which is fair enough.

Man, with the separate review scores it's really hitting me that this is a 2.5 game deal and I'm gonna be in deep soon.
Put lots of time into awakening and these look just as good so I can't wait to more than double that goodness, haha.

Ridley327

It's hard for people that only played Awakening. Not surprising at all

The reviewer also griped about not being able to spend as much time with the characters, as the game does have a more linear setup. Something to keep in mind for people who enjoyed the character focus of Awakening and what sounds like is better fulfilled by both Birthright and Revelations.

sensui-tomo

Yeah, I understand that, but is it an entire game, as long as the other two? I always assumed it was a DLC expansion that wasn't nearly as long as the two "base" games.

oh sorry, yet its an entire game, but remember its DLC so you need to have one of the other games to get it.

rhandino

Banned
Nice reviews all around but I guess is expected considering how improved everything is and now to wait for my Birthright copy of the game to arrive...

iMeQbMx.gif

Yes they did. These sites aren't reviewing games to help you, they're reviewing games so you click their website and they make money.

They won't make much money with a Day 15 review.

Ha, good point. However, Kotaku claims they do make money, even on late reviews

That aside, I'm normally 100% fine with day 1 reviews, but it feels inadequate in this case

The Conquest review is curious the little snippit they put for the review largely just states that he enjoyed the game and its difficulty but wanted to spend more time with his army and characters but because of the way its designed he didn't feel he could do that.

In other words he wanted it to be more like Birthright, which I find confusing because the entire point of Conquest is that its more like a traditional FE game so if you knew that going into it why would that be your complaint or why would you review it in that way. Maybe its me but it sounds like he was going to be disapointed from the start because he wasn't reviewing Birthright or maybe thats just what they could fit in the little snippit and he had a better explaination... I don't really care about the score itself I just found the reasoning somewhat confusing.

Does anyone know the length for each of these? God knows I don't have time to complete 3 separate RPGs.
I think I heard 28 chapters each, though since a chapter can be of variable lengths that'll change things you. Plus casual and classic players will have significantly different play times due to the people restarting in classic when a character dies

Azuran

Banned
I can tell Conquest is going to be a divisive game for people who only played Awakening. I didn't realize until now how important grinding characters can be for some players.

It's not hard to see why they preferred Hoshido if you were watching how well they were playing the game on the stream!

I read some of the horror stories so I think I have a good idea of how good the average player is :p

Lunar15

The Conquest review is curious the little snippit they put for the review largely just states that he enjoyed the game and its difficulty but wanted to spend more time with his army and characters but because of the way its designed he didn't feel he could do that.

In other words he wanted it to be more like Birthright, which I find confusing because the entire point of Conquest is that its more like a traditional FE game so if you knew that going into it why would that be your complaint or why would you review it in that way. Maybe its me but it sounds like he was going to be disapointed from the start because he wasn't reviewing Birthright or maybe thats just what they could fit in the little snippit and he had a better explaination... I don't really care about the score itself I just found the reasoning somewhat confusing.

It makes sense, that's the whole reason Awakening (and to some extent, Sacred Stones) implemented a world map and the ability to grind in the first place: so that you could always keep your favorite units, even if they were under leveled. Almost every change in Awakening was designed to keep all units at maximum availability. That's why you could change classes so freely in that game: You could simply make your favorite character into a class that better suited your needs.

So, if the draw in awakening/birthright was this availability, losing it in conquest would be disappointing. It's not about knowing what you're getting beforehand, it's that one game is less enjoyable than the others because it lacks something you enjoy.

Burt

The three versions aren't even reviewed by the same person. That seems like an incredibly weird choice when you're trying to decide between them.

Well on the other hand, if you're solely looking at the final number scores, with the length of these games burnout by the start of the third is a real possibility. It isn't really fair to compare the first FE experience in a few years to the third in a few weeks unless you think the reviewer is a passionless android that's discovered the secret to absolute review objectivity. But, as always, actually reading the reviews is probably your best bet for figuring things out.

Same reason I'm tearing myself away from Dark Souls 1 right now, so that I'm fresh for Dark Souls 3.

MrDaravon

Ha, good point. However, Kotaku claims they do make money, even on late reviews

That aside, I'm normally 100% fine with day 1 reviews, but it feels inadequate in this case

Yeah, this is kind of a weird one. In a way I'm glad different reviewers are getting them, but it's also weird you don't get the direct compare and contrast from the same person. On the other hand though if the same person had to do all 3 I could very easily seem them getting burnt out and that could affect the reviews of the 2nd and 3rd game. Not sure there's a single great answer here other than if you care about reviews you should check out multiple reviews, but you should already be doing that anyway lol.

The reviewer also griped about not being able to spend as much time with the characters, as the game does have a more linear setup. Something to keep in mind for people who enjoyed the character focus of Awakening and what sounds like is better fulfilled by both Birthright and Revelations.

Also of note, for gamespot, the reviewer of Birthright also reviewed Revelations

Draxal

It makes sense, that's the whole reason Awakening (and to some extent, Sacred Stones) implemented a world map and the ability to grind in the first place: so that you could always keep your favorite units, even if they were under leveled. Almost every change in Awakening was designed to keep all units at maximum availability. That's why you could change classes so freely in that game: You could simply make your favorite character into a class that better suited your needs.

So, if the draw in awakening was this availability, losing it in conquest would be disappointing. It's not about knowing what you're getting beforehand, it's that one game is less enjoyable than the others because it lacks something you enjoy.

RD got killed because of that in reviews especially IIRC.

Ridley327

Any news on EU release?

Not yet, beyond "it's coming!" NoE decided to be really aggressive with their promotion of Bravely Second, so they really haven't opened up about a lot of stuff, including those persistent rumors about Star Fox Zero's possible delay in that region.

Top Bottom