• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates Reviews Thread

GSR

Great scores. I only really started stinking my teeth into the JP version a few months ago so I'm only (most of the way) through Conquest/Hard, but it is a great game.

random25

Pretty great scores right now. Hopefully this helps it sell more.

And hopefully I can get the special edition when it gets here.

I hope the Gametrailers review doesn't have too many spoilers in it.

ijn30ZZ9JXvJv.gif

I enjoyed the hell out of Awakening's story despite people saying how boring and bad it was. Some people will probably enjoy it as long as it's not an offensive mess that makes little to no sense.

Yeah didn't bother me at all either. I liked it, then again I am not huge on complicated stories in games. But that's just me.

Draxal

Yeah didn't bother me at all either. I liked it, then again I am not huge on complicated stories in games. But that's just me.

Awakening has a very simplified narrative compared to older games, which makes the pacing better, but the story is worse imho.

I don't like the idea of "oh hey I liked awakening so I should get birthright because it's more of that".

I'd hope some of you are "brave" enough to venture into conquest because you honestly might enjoy going into more difficult, or at least, more varied objectives. I think that's kind of the idea of splitting up here. Birthright can easy you into the gameplay with what you're comfortable with and then Conquest can bridge you to what the series veterans' also enjoy.
Maybe they shouldn't have made interesting map design and objectives a version exclusive then

pariah164

Can I watch any of these reviews without being spoiled? I need some type of outlet for my hype, as I may have up to a week before I get to actually play.

Interesting they even reviewed Revelation separately considering I thought that would just be an add on DLC. The scores look really great so far, now I'm even more excited more this game than ever

Trust me, it's hard as hell, and that's coming from someone who have beaten Awakening and FE 12 on Lunatic Classic

But you can lower the difficulty at any time so it's good

How does the difficulty compare to Awakening's first few chapters on Lunatic before you can grind? I had an issue with those (though I eventually beat them), but I've heard that becomes much easier after that point. My main issue with Awakening Lunatic early chapters was that you were forced to rely on Frederick to get anything done, which ultimately led to him sponging up too much xp, which prevents other characters from growing to a point where they have a chance of standing up to the enemies without him.

So yeah, if the difficulty comes more from figuring out a good strategy to deal with a lot of strong, but not overpowered enemies, I think that's a different scenario than early lunatic awakening where almost all of your characters are largely useless and super vulnerable

Quonny

Story is the reason I couldn't complete Awakening, despite everything else being pretty great.

After these reviews and impressions I'm just as confused as ever.

Hey guys, I don't think this dude likes the stories in these games.

Haha I know I'm a little excessive with that but really, I don't even like other stories in Fire Emblem but this one wow. I'm actually impressed by how disappointed it was (IMO of course), I liked the setting a lot though

Lunar15

On stories in fire emblem: None of the games that I've played (the US only ones) have amazing, incredible stories. They're all fun and serviceable. The Tellius games had some cool world-building. Awakening's story, on the other hand, was deliberately frivolous in order to incorporate a lot of callbacks to FE1/3 and the children. That's fine, but it just wasn't super coherent. Not bad, just a little disappointing.

The stuff I've read about these games, however, just seems kind of annoying. I don't think it's a deal breaker to me, as long as they've balanced the mechanics, which it sounds like they've done.

Busaiku

Interesting they even reviewed Revelation separately considering I thought that would just be an add on DLC. The scores look really great so far, now I'm even more excited more this game than ever
It's as long as the other 2, with its own separate story.

How does the difficulty compare to Awakening's first few chapters on Lunatic before you can grind? I had an issue with those (though I eventually beat them), but I've heard that becomes much easier after that point. My main issue with Awakening Lunatic early chapters was that you were forced to rely on Frederick to get anything done, which ultimately led to him sponging up too much xp, which prevents other characters from growing to a point where they have a chance of standing up to the enemies without him.

So yeah, if the difficulty comes more from figuring out a good strategy to deal with a lot of strong, but not overpowered enemies, I think that's a different scenario than early lunatic awakening where almost all of your characters are largely useless and super vulnerable

Difficulty curves is more balanced in this one. The first chapters in Birthright (10 first I would say) are actually ok even easy sometimes and it becomes more and more difficult until the end.

with some tricks you could give Robin a lot of exp, Frederick never surpassed level 2 or 3 in my runs :p

Alright, I'll repeat this again, Lunatic is generally hard on all routes. Earlygame is hardest in Revelations but the game isn't reliant on the one OP unit to get you through and you have options.

Lategame is where the nasty stuff pops up in Birthright and Conquest.

Also, Not a fan of what the gamespot reviewer said about the difficulty in conquest.

I'm still taking the positive reviews for Revelation with a grain of salt. This path seems underwhelming based on what I've seen from pre-launch footage and read from some gamers.

Conquest and Birthright are both guaranteed plays for me, so reviews don't matter for either path.

I can't wait to start my Hard/Classic playthrough of Conquest as soon as I get the game. This will be the absolute best experience for me.

I will also finish my first Birthright playthrough on Hard without grinding, but I think the opportunity to grind will actually convince me to do a subsequent Lunatic run.

Just two more days!

Ready right now to dig into some serious Conquest after revisiting the GBA games and PoR. Hopefully it arrives on time. I've basically spoiled myself on story stuff, but really fighting for wins in challenging varied boards is what I look forward to most. Secondarily, I won't pretend not to be curious about which "waifu" I ultimately hook my avatar up with.

Good to see the positive response! Do any reviews discuss NoA's localization? I'm looking forward to it, love their work.

Conquest is in the mail despite the fact that I usually suck at these games. The scenario and varied missions just sounds more interesting than Birthright and thankfully Nintendo gave some options to not completely fuck over subpar players while keeping the insane challenge for the more highly skilled masochists.

I enjoyed the hell out of Awakening's story despite people saying how boring and bad it was. Some people will probably enjoy it as long as it's not an offensive mess that makes little to no sense.

Yeah, I agree. Sure, it wasn't as complex as the Radiant games, but it had great GREAT characters. Ultimately, great characters are the most important part of nearly any story.

Difficulty curves is more balanced in this one. The first chapters in Birthright (10 first I would say) are actually ok even easy sometimes and it becomes more and more difficult until the end.

with some tricks you could give Robin a lot of exp, Frederick never surpassed level 2 or 3 in my runs :p

Ok thanks. So I take it that the reason conquest hard is so difficult isn't because a lot of your units effectively act as dead weight that will die super quickly to one or two enemy attacks? My main issue with Lunatic awakening is that early on it didn't feel like you had many options, so as long as that's not the issue I think I'll be ok

Squire

Banned
Seems weird to have 2 different reviewers review both halves. I understand the logistics, but it'd be a much more valuable opinion to know how the two halves compare from someone who played both.

I don't think you lose much perspective if they've both played FE (Awakening, in particular) before and are communicating the differences to each other. That seems to be the case.

Z3M0G

There are some rather dramatic score differences between the different versions in there from the same reviewer... in both directions from different reviews as well.

Alright, I'll repeat this again, Lunatic is generally hard on all routes. Earlygame is hardest in Revelations but the game isn't reliant on the one OP unit to get you through and you have options.

Lategame is where the nasty stuff pops up in Birthright and Conquest.

Also, Not a fan of what the gamespot reviewer said about the difficulty in conquest.

Thanks. That's all I needed to know and is about what I expected

I don't think you lose much perspective if they've both played FE (Awakening, in particular) before and are communicating the differences to each other. That seems to be the case.

It doesn't matter how much info they share; it's still two inherently different perspectives.

Top Bottom