• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates Reviews Thread

You have to buy Revelations for $20.

This bundle doesn't really save you anything. It just means you pay Gamestop instead of the E-Shop.

Conquest is sold as a $20 DLC for Birthright on the E-Shop and vice-versa. Revelations is also another $20 expansion and will be out in 3 weeks to download.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/clp/fire-emblem-bundle-offer/pcmcat748301713227.c?id=pcmcat748301713227

if you want to save $5 on Revelations, BB is doing a promo for Fire Emblem this week.

And for those on the fence as to which version to get :p
CbbvcjyUYAAxUgH.jpg:large

Anteo

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/clp/fire-emblem-bundle-offer/pcmcat748301713227.c?id=pcmcat748301713227

if you want to save $5 on Revelations, BB is doing a promo for Fire Emblem this week.

And for those on the fence as to which version to get :p

That looks like a bunch of questions that try to make you play conquest :lol

Edit:

And I haven't even started Awakening yet

Not sure which version I would start with though

Play awakening.
Do you think is great as it is? Play Birthright
Do you think it could use more varied objectives and you didnt need to grind at all? Play Conquest.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Wow, only 6 reviews so far on metacritic and even with Gamespot's 7 (probably too challenging for the reviewer) it's leading at 89 to Birthright's 88.

So I never played Fire Emblem before. Wich one should I get? Or do I need to play Awakening first?

Don't worry about Awakening. Birthright is supposedly easier than Conquest, but Conquest allows for all sorts of help (phoenix mode, hiring overpowered units) if you're really struggling.

Gestahl

Yeah, it'd be really valuable to hear from someone who's played through all 3 to see how they all stack up against one another and if there's a payoff for experiencing all three stories.

Conquest: Good all around
Birthright: starts off okay, dies in the middle, gets harder in the last third but not necessarily in a good way
Revelation: MORE GIMMICKS THAT SLOW THE CHAPTER DOWN TO A CRAWL, I NEED MORE GIVE ME MORE

The Story: lol

Yeah, it'd be really valuable to hear from someone who's played through all 3 to see how they all stack up against one another and if there's a payoff for experiencing all three stories.
Yup. Even if they are truly separate games, they share enough that there'd be some real value in knowing how they compare.
It's alot of game for the time they have to review.
At least one outlet managed it.

And their conception of how many clicks they'll get for Day 1 reviews isn't my problem.

Kuni

Good scores! I've been eyeing awakening for a while now but Ninty still charges full price for it and that makes me all sad and stuff. One day.... one day...

And I haven't even started Awakening yet

Not sure which version I would start with though
Conquest:
More complicated mission design
Limited supply of experience points
Linear progression through missions

Birthright
Simplified mission design
Unlimited supply of experience points
Semi-linear progression through missions (you get a world map with extra fights you can do)

In the end I'm not a fan of either approach. I got sick of limited experience a long time ago. Fire emblem has too rich a cast of characters to limit me on how many I can use on a playthrough, but the simplified mission design of birthright isnt exactly enticing either.

I'm hoping revelations ends up scratching the exact itch I was hoping of out of Fates

Don't quote me, but aren't you guys getting all three games on one cart or something? Maybe waiting until after all us Murcins shell out for the game three times?

Yeah, I don't think that's the case. And NA buyers don't have to buy the game three times. Unless you buy both main games physical you're not going to be spending over $80 unless you buy a ton of DLC.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Okay, this thread convinced me to buy.

Also Best Buy GCU and $5 coupon makes this a $30 purchase with tax. Seems fair, I played Awakening for 80+ hours. If I get half of that out of this, I'd be good.

http://www.destructoid.com/review-fire-emblem-fates-birthright-and-conquest--339026.phtml

Since all three stories have 27 story chapters, the game's nine save slots will serve you well. More DLC is also on the way in the form of missions and characters, and the first hit is free. Considering that I've spent more time with the My Castle system alone than many other full retail releases, it's safe to say that no matter which version you pick, Fire Emblem Fates will fuel your inner fire for more strategic waifu wars.

Is this what crossing the rubicon is?

Another note I learned from the reviews that seems cool is that starting a second route can be done without having to repeat the first 6 chapters (that are shared between all routes)

Conquest:

Birthright
Semi-linear progression through missions (you get a world map with extra fights you can do)

In the end I'm not a fan of either approach. I got sick of limited experience a long time ago. Fire emblem has too rich a cast of characters to limit me on how many I can use on a playthrough, but the simplified mission design of birthright isnt exactly enticing either.

I'm hoping revelations ends up scratching the exact itch I was hoping of out of Fates

I don't know i'm willing to go with the flow on this one because i think its nice that the game can knock me out of my comfort zone. Awakening got pretty easy at the end so i'm willing to roll with this setup. awakening already had simplified mission designs so i don't think it will be any less than that. I'm guessing conquest will have more goals or fails state to spice things up a bit.

Nibel

That looks like a bunch of questions that try to make you play conquest :lol

Edit:

Play awakening.
Do you think is great as it is? Play Birthright
Do you think it could use more varied objectives and you didnt need to grind at all? Play Conquest.

Conquest for a challange.
Birthright for a newcomer welcome.

I say Conquest.

Conquest:

Birthright

Thanks guys, I think I'll pick Conquest since that sounds more interesting than Birthright

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
GameSpot 7/10 Conquest
GameSpot 8/10 Birthright

As if we were lacking any proof that GameSpot is the ultimate website of bad taste in games.

Chairhome

Didn't know where else to post this, I'm on a work trip in Havelock, NC and saw Birthright / Conquest on the shelf in Wal Mart. I didn't try to ring them up cause I have the special edition preordered at home.

Top Bottom