• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates Reviews Thread

aravuus

I liked the story in Awakening as well.

I thought it was enjoyable enough for me to finish the game, but ultimately one of the more forgettable JRPG stories I've experienced.

You know, maybe the PAL delay isn't that bad a thing. At least I can keep an eye on the OT and get some more story impressions. If the majority thinks the story's even more boring than Awakening's, I might just skip the whole game.

Man, Intelligent System's decision to make three different versions in three different styles seems to have been a really smart one. The altering opinions from each site are telling.

I have the SE at Amazon and I have almost canceled it like three times today. I really liked Awakening and I want these. With The Division coming so soon after I might be better to just play them when I get some free time.

the SE is a good deal though.

Ok thanks. So I take it that the reason conquest hard is so difficult isn't because a lot of your units effectively act as dead weight that will die super quickly to one or two enemy attacks? My main issue with Lunatic awakening is that early on it didn't feel like you had many options, so as long as that's not the issue I think I'll be ok

Yep units in Conquest are actually quite tanky

Draxal

I have the SE at Amazon and I have almost canceled it like three times today. I really liked Awakening and I want these. With The Division coming so soon after I might be better to just play them when I get some free time.

the SE is a good deal though.

Don't cancel, you can always flip it.

GSR

Ok thanks. So I take it that the reason conquest hard is so difficult isn't because a lot of your units effectively act as dead weight that will die super quickly to one or two enemy attacks? My main issue with Lunatic awakening is that early on it didn't feel like you had many options, so as long as that's not the issue I think I'll be ok

I mean, HP growth is a weak point for a lot of units (though I may have just gotten unlucky with RNG), but I was definitely using my whole team on Conquest Hard.

Griss

Delighted to see such good reviews. Now just need that EU release date.

I've just realised that the sales of the two games are going to be like a referendum on what style of Fire Emblem we should get in the future.

Everyone buy Conquest!

What were the sales like in Japan? Were they packaged separately over there as well?

Shun

Yep units in Conquest are actually quite tanky

Only a couple in the beginning. A lot of the other units are paper and you don't want to have your handful of tanks eat up all the EXP.

Delighted to see such good reviews. Now just need that EU release date.

I've just realised that the sales of the two games are going to be like a referendum on what style of Fire Emblem we should get in the future.

Everyone buy Conquest!

What were the sales like in Japan? Were they packaged separately over there as well?

Japan was the same deal, versions and special edition everything. The game itself is regarded quite well amongst the fans and in general thought it was an improvement from Awakening in many aspects. I don't remember the sales breakdown but in terms of character popularity, Conquest characters were generally a lot more popular.

Only difference is that the digital version of the game in Japan was route agnostic and you got to choose which version you want after the first 6 chapters, in the NA one you are locked to a version when you buy until you buy the other route as an add on.

Moonlight

Banned
so put better maps then instead of keeping it in one version?
Then just buy Conquest? That was the point of the split. The whole idea is that objectives and more complex terrain complicates things beyond more basic stuff about the game like general positioning and unit dynamics. It seems a lot of people prefer that sort of thing.

silva1991

I thought it was enjoyable enough for me to finish the game, but ultimately one of the more forgettable JRPG stories I've experienced.

You know, maybe the PAL delay isn't that bad a thing. At least I can keep an eye on the OT and get some more story impressions. If the majority thinks the story's even more boring than Awakening's, I might just skip the whole game.

Well, yeah I meant it's Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth kinda fun lol.

Then just buy Conquest? That was the point of the split. The whole idea is that objectives and more complex terrain complicates things beyond more basic stuff about the game like general positioning and unit dynamics. It seems a lot of people prefer that sort of thing.

more varied objectives does not inherently make the game harder, despite what people sometimes claim

Given that all the fanboys are insisting this is actually three full-fledged games, I'm guessing this game's gonna get a 24 out of 10.

Sorry if this has been answered but im confused.

If I buy this version

http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3d...with-fire-emblem-fates-conquest-bundle/126830

I get Birthright Physical, download code for Conquest then I have to buy Revelations or its free?

You have to buy Revelations for $20.

This bundle doesn't really save you anything. It just means you pay Gamestop instead of the E-Shop.

Conquest is sold as a $20 DLC for Birthright on the E-Shop and vice-versa. Revelations is also another $20 expansion and will be out in 3 weeks to download.

bman94

Looking good. Once I get my refund I'll be all over this. I adored Fire Emblem Awakening, it was my most played 3DS game. I am fully ready to triple dip with all three stories.

heringer

I think the issue to a lot of people (at least to me) is that while Conquest is indeed the better choice for gameplay, the idea of playing the evil side isn't appealing to some.

So there's this situation where you can't have the best of both worlds, and it kind of sucks.

It becomes conquest then.
I never liked the whole limited XP thing. I never found fire emblem hard, but not being able to use different characters just because XP is limited across your squad isnt fun. What I really want is conquest maps and objectives with birthright freedom.

As far as I know thats what revelations is, and I hope thats right as it is what I'm looking forward to the most.

Given that all the fanboys are insisting this is actually three full-fledged games, I'm guessing this game's gonna get a 24 out of 10.

That's true though. This isn't a Pokemon thing. This is an "Oracle of Ages/Seasons" thing. Each version is built on the same gameplay mechanics but feature different party members, different maps, a couple different mechanics, different classes, and different objectives. Only the first 6 chapters (which is essentially the tutorial) are shared content. And, each entry is supposed to be as long as most other previous games in the series, 30+ hours.

Squire

Banned
It doesn't matter how much info they share; it's still two inherently different perspectives.

Different, not not isolated.

Again, it's better than nothing, but I saw you indicated yiu think they should have one person play all three and review after, which isn't really reasonable, so whatever.

Maxim726X

There's a third campaign that's being released in 3 weeks as a $20 digital-only expansion, but people getting the SE get it at launch.

... But not the Gamestop SE that was just linked a few posts ago (which I just purchased)?

EDIT- Those fucks. I've been had. Cancelling that order.

... But not the Gamestop SE that was just linked a few posts ago (which I just purchased)?

No, that's just a bundle that includes a DLC code for Conquest. Doesn't save you anything. Only reason to bother with it is if you don't want to give the E-Shop Credit Card information.

Lunar15

more varied objectives does not inherently make the game harder, despite what people sometimes claim

This. Far more important is whether or not the game actually makes you think about what units you're using and gives you different situations that test different strategies. Sounds to me like the skills are really what helps Conquest in this regard.

kswiston

good idea.

That special edition will be going for hundreds of dollars. On Amazon's Canadian site, third party sellers are already asking $400+.

Being stupidly limited and the only way to get a physical version of Revelations will keep the price high even if some of the hype dies down.

It becomes conquest then.
No it wouldnt. Conquest is balanced around the units you get in that game and around your progression from chapter to chapter. It's just super dumb having interesting maps and objectives in a strategy game being exclusive to one version. You don't need to be super complex to be interesting, you just need to be not flat and having something to do other than kill 'em all

Moonlight

Banned
That's true, but I figure (and what IS figures, I guess) a lot of what people liked in Awakening had a lot to do with how straightforward that game was, short of a few paralogues. Birthright seems designed for those people in mind, and Conquest seems oriented to people who want maps to demand a little more from them. That's the compromise that they decided to make. I won't deny that it's a bummer for people who might have preferred something more akin to Sacred Stones in terms of balance, or if they're just not interested in Conquest's cast or side of the narrative, but limited XP and how 'hard' the mode is intended to be seems kind of trivial to get too hung up on given that Nohr still offers a lot of difficulty options and with the way that the side-content works (skill buying, namely), you can still 'brute force' a lot of segments, even if Conquest does make it a little more difficult to do. Unless you're really into Odin or something.

Why the hostility? You don't need to be a fanboy to actually understand that these are, in fact, full games.
That's true though. This isn't a Pokemon thing. This is an "Oracle of Ages/Seasons" thing. Each version is built on the same gameplay mechanics but feature different party members, different maps, a couple different mechanics, different classes, and different objectives. Only the first 6 chapters (which is essentially the tutorial) are shared content.

I was joking, sorry.

No hostility here :)

Can't wait for this to come to EU.

You're not planning on playing any of them aren't you?

See above!

Azuran

Banned
I'll be attempting each on hard/classic. Might have to cave on conquest though from what I've seen in this thread.

I was planning on starting this way on both games, but Conquest actually being hard is making me rethink my choice regarding it.

You're not planning on playing any of them aren't you?

Top Bottom