• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates third story path (DLC) is written by Yukinori Kitajima

mankoto

Fire Emblem Fates’ story concept was penned by Shin Kibayayashi, the author behind the Get Backers and Psychometrer Eiji manga series. However, Kibayashi wasn’t the only prolific writer involved with the game—Fates’ third story path, Invisible Kingdom, was written by Yukinori Kitajima.

If you haven’t heard of him before, Kitajima is a well-known videogame writer that has been around for a few years now. In recent years, his script-writing company, Synthese, has been involved with Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies, Time Travelers, the Senran Kagura series, Okamiden, Chaos Rings, 428: In the Blocked City, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, and more.

Kitajima announced his involvement with Fire Emblem Fates via his Twitter account, revealing that he penned the scenario for the downloadable Invisible Kingdom story path. In addition, Kitajima says, he and other Synthese staff also wrote the support conversations for the Birthright and Conquest story paths.

While developing Fire Emblem Fates, Intelligent Systems and Nintendo made a conscious effort to provide the game with a strong story, as they felt the story in Fire Emblem: Awakening had been lacking in complexity. Upon failing to find a writer within the videogame industry that fit their requirements, Intelligent turned to Shin Kibayashi, who has done most of his work under various pen names. Kibayashi then went on to write an extensive outline for each of the game’s three story paths.

Source

You know, I have a friend that hates Senran Kagura with a passion, but loves Fire Emblem to death but hates how Fates has turned out. I guess he knows who to partially blame for that.

crinale

Kitajima does have quite a track record, making Senran Kagura series stand out a bit from other similar type fo games.

While developing Fire Emblem Fates, Intelligent Systems and Nintendo made a conscious effort to provide the game with a strong story, as they felt the story in Fire Emblem: Awakening had been lacking in complexity. Upon failing to find a writer within the videogame industry that fit their requirements, Intelligent turned to Shin Kibayashi, who has done most of his work under various pen names.

And from impressions the story is still flawed. For anybody that's played the JP release, is the 3rd path better written than the others? From what I've gathered Hoshido's is pretty boring while Nohr's is legit bad.

Fire Emblem stories have pretty much been the same thing with names swapped so I dunno what anyone expected from Awakening. This has the potential to be different with the three stories but I seriously doubt that.

Like there's the template of big enemy army -> sorcerer from the enemy army -> sorcerer resurrects the demon king, throw in some undead in there sometimes and a third faction you visit and you are good

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Knowing Fire Emblem stories this might actually be better then usual!

At the very least, it can't be worse than Awakening. FE stories aren't particularly good but that was some bottom of the barrel stuff. Like "we've got a day to hammer something out. Here are the maps, do what you can."

Still blows my mind that "twist" actually happened. Definitely one of the most ridiculous deus ex machinas I've ever seen in a game.

Shengar

Granted, AA5 was underwhelming in some way but isn't using Senran Kagura as the mentioned work in the title a little bit unfair? A honestly, I don't play that game so I don't its story quality but people would think because it's ridden with lewd stuffs the story must be bad.

Should have hired Yoshiki Tanaka or Nakajima Michitsune as the writer.

SoldnerKei

no wonder why third route is so cheesy and animu as hell or so they say, oh well, I'll go full Norh and that's it for me.

Oh now I realize why the support conversations are pandering and sterotypical!

Anyway, I'm being too harsh. I've only spoiled myself on some SC, but not all and I have no idea what this 3rd route is about. When it comes out in NA, I'll judge it on its own merits.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I like how you chose to ignore everything else in the writer's company CV. Anyway Senran Kagura doesn't actually suffer from poor writing, so I don't see this as an issue.

I adore Dual Destinies and Okamiden, so its cool to see he worked on this game as well. Fire Emblem stories in general have never really been more than average from the ones I've played, so it'll be interesting to see how much I like this one.

Guru-Guru

Banned
And from impressions the story is still flawed. For anybody that's played the JP release, is the 3rd path better written than the others? From what I've gathered Hoshido's is pretty boring while Nohr's is legit bad.
No clue about the 3rd path, but I could barely make it through Hoshido. By the end of the game I was straight up skipping a lot of the story text, as it was so damn predictable, filled with so many cliches, and just straight up had too much corny dialogue. I honestly feel that Hoshido has a worse story than Awakening, but maybe I am forgetting how bad the latter was. Gameplay is fun of course, which is why I kept playing.

Hatchtag

Banned
At the very least, it can't be worse than Awakening. FE stories aren't particularly good but that was some bottom of the barrel stuff. Like "we've got a day to hammer something out. Here are the maps, do what you can."

Still blows my mind that "twist" actually happened. Definitely one of the most ridiculous deus ex machinas I've ever seen in a game.

as someone who played fire emblem awakening, what twist?
Do you mean fucking everyone who died being alive in the spotpass maps?

oh one of the writers and not the one who created senran kagura

and who actually has a long list of other works

so, nothing really special

besides the usual, all i heard were impressions about it was bad so it must be bad

Nachos

When it mentions his script-writing company, how likely is it that Kitajima didn't touch half of those games? I've heard 428 is incredible, but everything else is merely good to middling.

I've played okamiden, aa5 and Layton vs wright

I don't think the stories were very good in those three games

But I will say they were all better than Awakening

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
as someone who played fire emblem awakening, what twist?
Do you mean fucking everyone who died being alive in the spotpass maps?

I mean Chapter 23 where
the party apparently had the foresight to see exactly how everything was going to play out. So they faked Basillo's death all the way across the world because they knew the Plegians were spying on them despite the fact they were allied at that point, and had him show up to save the day when they later confronted the villain. The villain that they happened to know would influence the avatar character to make him/her attack Chrom, so they prepared for that and the avatar "held back" to not kill Chrom. They also knew the Plegians were going to try to steal the Fire Emblem so they replaced the gems so it wouldn't function correctly - while the Plegians were their ally.

It's made more ridiculous by the fact the character that represents "you" in the game knows all this, but you don't. I guess it could be hand-waved with
the time travel nonsense
, but how would the characters have known any of those details considering
history had already taken a different course at that point.

Ezalc

It's been a long time since Fire Emblem has had a particularly good story, but this just gives me one more reason to skip this game amid many. Shame.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's been a long time since Fire Emblem has had a particularly good story, but this just gives me one more reason to skip this game amid many. Shame.

The Tellius games had pretty decent worldbuilding, and the story didn't quite follow the typical FE plot. Not super amazing, but competent for the type of game it is.

patapuf

Looking at the stuff he wrote that could mean an improvment on Awakening or simply that they want to carry on in the same tone they had there.

Sakura

Upon failing to find a writer within the videogame industry that fit their requirements, Intelligent turned to Shin Kibayashi, who has done most of his work under various pen names.
What? Country with endless VNs coming out every month and they couldn't find any body to pen a half decent story?

I think the 3rd is the worst written. Nohr and Hoshido are about the same.

I must have low standards, because I thought FE:A story was decent. I'll probably like FE:Fates as well.

You don't say.

4YtFB4V.jpg

Top Bottom