• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses Took The Director 80 Hours To Beat; changes to Weapon Triangle

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Source via Siliconera.

The game project has gone smoothly thanks to Koei Tecmo’s passion and familiarity with the simulation genre, with titles like Nobunaga’s Ambition and Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Intelligent Systems was in charge of the artistic direction and game design, and Koei Tecmo did the programming.
There are three main online features – Global Activity, Exchange Student, and Lost Spirits. Global Activities show what other players have chosen when making choices, if you want to see how things are trending between players. Exchange Students essentially is choosing a student from your game to send over to other players’ games, who may choose to buy the student for use in combat under certain conditions. Finally, Lost Spirits is a feature where you’ll be able to see where units in other players’ armies have fallen in combat, which shows where difficult areas may be. Surviving in those tiles will give you extra bonuses.
Multiplayer PvP, which was previously in Fire Emblem Fates, is not returning.
The weapon triangle is not as visible as in previous games, in that the effects are only regained using certain weapon skills, and not inherent to types of weapons.
Amiibos will unlock music from each characters’ respective games in optional battles. Current Fire Emblem series character amiibo include Marth, Ike, Lucina, Robin, Roy, Corrin (M), Corrin (F), Chrom, Tiki, Alm, and Celica.
Finally, Kusakihara states that it took him 80 hours to finish one Three Houses story path, without skipping dialogue or cutscenes. As such, he states that it might take over 200 hours to beat all three paths.

---

I've only beaten FE: Awakening so I don't know if this is considered hefty or not compared to the rest of the franchise.

The potential changes to the Weapon Triangle may ruffle feathers. That said, FE: Echoes did away with the feature and was still enjoyable.

Also, some concept art:

edelgard_thumb.jpg

claudedimitri_thumb.jpg

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Dang, that’s crazy good value for fans.

Makes it a pass for me though as I only played Awakening and Birthright and was pretty sick of them by the end and they’re way shorter. No skin off my nose as I’ll struggle to finish what I’m playing before the onslaught of fall games I’m stoked for starts hitting hard in September.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Honestly, that's a huge turn-off. I'm ready to be done with an SRPG in like.... 30-40 hours, tops. I'm guessing that's an overestimate, though.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I'm wondering if this is this long because of padding or Persona like dialogue. Also is it 80 hours WITH the season pass dlc? Are all 3 paths included in the game? Koei Tecmo's involvement makes me weary.

Fbh

As if the high school setting wasn't a big enough turnoff, this doesn't sound great either.
FE has usually been around 30ish hours which tends to be a great length, makes it feel content packed without outstaying its welcome.

80 not only sounds like a big time investment but also make me worry there will be tons of padding and filler. I've yet to play a japanese games with this sort of length (specially one where they go out of their way to boast about it) that hasn't suffered from tons of filler, or grinding, or farming, or terrible pacing or simply gameplay that, while fun, gets boring or stale after multiple dozen hours.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I hope that this is linked to the difficulty and that the game does not drag instead. Taking 80 hous for a Fire Emblem is no stranger to me, but only if taking restarting into account (because units died).

Also, Echoes was terrible, I really hope this one does not follow the example of Echoes.

Interesting to read, that the game was actually programmed by Koei. I wonder what IS' programmers were up to then.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Was interested in Three Houses a year ago but was hoping that it was going to be a straight forward turn based strategy RPG (ala Kingdom Battle and Mutant Year Zero) with a little exploration thrown in but damn, there's too much stuff in the game that doesn't interest me at all so it's a pass.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I love the Fire Emblem series, but I hope this game is more FE: Awakening than FE: Fates. I struggled to get into Fates for some reason. I’ll give it another attempt at some point.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i barely got 4 hours into the first 3ds one,
still pissed advance wars died because of this weeb stuff :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom