• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates third story path (DLC) is written by Yukinori Kitajima

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
If you haven’t heard of him before, Kitajima is a well-known videogame writer that has been around for a few years now. In recent years, his script-writing company, Synthese, has been involved with Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies, Time Travelers, the Senran Kagura series, Okamiden, Chaos Rings, 428: In the Blocked City, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, and more.

So is the Senran Kagura series being the only one put forward in the title is an attempt to discredit Fire Emblem? I guess the attempt to stigmatize the game wouldn't work that well if the thread title use, say, Ace Attorney DD or Layton, huh?

It doesn't have to be. That's the tone of the game, so of course he'd fit right in.

Dunno, sounds like a blatant lie to me. I thought the tons of gameplay footage and snippets of cutscenes set the tone of the game. But apparently this 10 second scene does? I suppose it does if you're being disingenuous which is why you made this post.

Nightbird

It doesn't have to be. That's the tone of the game, so of course he'd fit right in.

4014995-black+guy+laughing+on+boat

Are you even trying to look like you had any interest in the Game?

random25

So is the Senran Kagura series being the only one put forward in the title is an attempt to discredit Fire Emblem? I guess the attempt to stigmatize the game wouldn't work that well if the thread title use, say, Ace Attorney DD or Layton, huh?

To be fair to the OP, the title of the article referenced to this thread is just copied for this thread title.

Though it is much better if the OP or the author of the article/blog just used the name of the person rather than one "polarizing" game he's worked on.

mugwhump

Article title is some tasty clickbait.

SK's story was probably the best part of the game, though I wouldn't call it great.

How is a single cutscene that only plays in one of the three routes (the other 2 not having anything equivalent) the tone of the game?

Dunno, sounds like a blatant lie to me. I thought the tons of gameplay footage and snippets of cutscenes set the tone of the game. But apparently this 10 second scene does? I suppose it does if you're being disingenuous which is why you made this post.

If that scene doesn't match the tone of the game, why is it there in the first place?

Are you even trying to look like you had any interest in the Game?

Is this the part where I'm expected to go and photograph my copies of the localised Fire Emblem games so far to "prove" my interest in the series, as if I was just pretending to like it so I could get in on some faux outrage over the gross pandering shit in the new one?

Nightbird

Is this the part where I'm expected to go and photograph my copies of the localised Fire Emblem games so far to "prove" my interest in the series, as if I was just pretending to like it so I could get in on some faux outrage over the gross pandering shit in the new one?

That, or you could stop acting like this Game is called Boobie Emblem. It's obvious that this is just a few seconds from what is most likely a 20+ hours Game. Even if take together all the Scenes where that Woman appears in, we are going to have like 2 Minutes of Material. At best.
And yet you and other people who act like they are suffering from Mastrophobia do like this is all we will ever see everytime this Game comes up. This effectively destroys every discussion that can be held about this Game, wich is funny, because i always read how Awakening did that you can't speak about Fire Emblem without "Waifu-Talk", yet i see nothing from that. All i see is a bunch of grown Man (and possibly Woman) afraid of a few seconds of Breasts and screaming it out loud in every single Fire Emblem Thread.

Mastrophobia .... afraid of a few seconds of Breasts

It's weird that you guys keep using this language to describe anyone that dislikes the exploitative, gazey stuff like in that gif. As if our chests also have us cowering in the corners of our bedrooms and bathrooms before we manage to dress or shower every day.

duckroll

Oh hey, this is the guy who works with Jiro Ishii a lot - both 428 and Time Travelers, and he wrote the screenplay for the Ishii's Kickstarter anime Under the Dog too. He always seemed like one of those writers-for-hire to me though, so it doesn't really mean anything.

patapuf

It's weird that you guys keep using this language to describe anyone that dislikes the exploitative, gazey stuff like in that gif. As if our chests also have us cowering in the corners of our bedrooms and bathrooms before we manage to dress or shower every day.

for me it's not even really the fact that it's pervy.

It's just that a "MC running into boobs/cleavage of important female character" isn't exactly the kind of character introduction i'm looking for in FE. It's what i expect from an average anime romantic comedy.

i can deal with it, i just wish the writing quality was above this stuff.

Nightbird

Well, how else should I describe people who act like this is representative of the whole Game?
Look, it's absolutely fair to say that you don't like the Character because of the way she's portrayed (being the Tits and Ass of the Game). If you had described it that way I would be with you, since I don't like the Design myself.

But what you and others are doing is yelling that the whole Game is like that, Wich is simply not true. Then you use the same three gifs over and over again to try to prove your point. You can complain about the Character (even though I wouldn't like to see this dominate every FE-Thread either), but don't complain about the Game like it's being represented solely by this Character. This makes you look like you are afraid of Breasts.

flohen95

The writing in Senran Kagura is actually pretty damn good, and the reason for my fondness of that series. And I really enjoyed Layton vs. AA's story as well (yes, even the ending).

Brakke

Banned
Well, how else should I describe people who act like this is representative of the whole Game?
Look, it's absolutely fair to say that you don't like the Character because of the way she's portrayed (being the Tits and Ass of the Game). If you had described it that way I would be with you, since I don't like the Design myself.

But what you and others are doing is yelling that the whole Game is like that, Wich is simply not true. Then you use the same three gifs over and over again to try to prove your point. You can complain about the Character (even though I wouldn't like to see this dominate every FE-Thread either), but don't complain about the Game like it's being represented solely by this Character. This makes you look like you are afraid of Breasts.

Nobody is yelling here. How is it even possible to yell in text posts, I'm wondering. You are reading tone that isn't there. Your defensiveness tells me more about you than it does him.

NeonZ

The writing in Senran Kagura is actually pretty damn good, and the reason for my fondness of that series. And I really enjoyed Layton vs. AA's story as well (yes, even the ending).

Senran Kagura's writing is extremely inconsistent though, at least based on the localized version of Burst. The light novel-like segments are generally pretty decent, but then there's a sudden drop in quality as soon as it goes back to VN-like presentation with the 3d models. Is it really all by a single writer?

Nightbird

Nobody is yelling here. How is it even possible to yell in text posts, I'm wondering. You are reading tone that isn't there. Your defensiveness tells me more about you than it does him.

So you are going to ignore everything I said because of one word?

OK.

Zolo

I just want to say Duckroll did an awesome job for actually using the writer's name instead of just using 'Senran Kagura Writer'.

Yarbskoo

I guess it could be hand-waved with
the time travel nonsense
, but how would the characters have known any of those details considering
history had already taken a different course at that point.

I think you may have missed some of the plot details.

History's course had been altered somewhat, but the end result up to that point was the same. We know this because we play that scene in both timelines. The Premonition: Invisible Ties chapter at the beginning of the game is the beginning of the end for Future Lucina's timeline. Also, the player isn't the only one to see this sequence. The "Premonition" title is fitting indeed.
"Robin predicted everything that would happen here. He saw it in a dream. Saw this very fight with you. Guess what else was in the dream? The five Gemstones." -Basilio

Robin saw the Invisible Ties and knew the Gemstones wouldn't be safe in Plegia. Basilio didn't fake his death to avoid Plegian spies, he did it because Lucina had told him that the battle he was going into was where he died in her timeline. He was too stubborn to back down from the battle, but as he fought Walhart he knew she was right. He faked his own death right there in front of Walhart, to avoid fulfilling Lucina's prophecy. This not only fooled Walhart, (and the player) it also allowed him to move about without being seen by the Plegians, giving him an opportunity to take the gemstones and replace them with fakes without Validar's knowledge. The party then walked willingly into Validar's trap, who had no way to know it had been disarmed before it had even been set. The only thing they didn't plan for was the other Robin, since he, like Lucina, was a new addition to the timeline.

I don't understand why they don't just have the same people write
the story that wrote PoR/RD.

But I guess their speciality wasn't cramminging in tons of otaku tropes so...

NotLiquid

The writing for both Dual Destinies and Layton vs Wright were pretty good, with reservations for the latter which was mired by a terrible scenario. Granted that seemed more like it was on Takumi more than anything.

While people might look at the Senran Kagura credit and shy away at the mention of it, I'd like to think that the writing for Burst was pretty good. There's a good reason why that's a series that's had a better staying power than other competitors in the fanservice-driven genre, it's done some fun things with characters and scenarios that make it a memorable series.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I don't understand why they don't just have the same people write
the story that wrote PoR/RD.

But I guess their speciality wasn't cramminging in tons of otaku tropes so...

I enjoyed the Elibe and Tellius stories. They were competent.

Top Bottom