• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|Natural Selection Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

redcrayon

I finally pulled Summer Corrin with the turn limit orbs.

My flier team will be at full power very soon. Feels good.

My orb stash isn't looking so good though XD
Seeing as Amelia is currently top of my 'most wanted' list due to my schemes for Armour Emblem, a fruitless hunt for her means that my orb 'stash' now consists of two of them.

Excellent, thanks! Yeah, it's all about exploiting the AI tendency to use support abilities like pivot rather than optimal moves. I only upgraded Fred yesterday, he's already earned his keep with his mallet.
No problem.

I'd suggest investing in a Brave Axe+ for your Frederick if you can, especially if he's ATK+.

redcrayon

No problem.

I'd suggest investing in a Brave Axe+ for your Frederick if you can, especially if he's ATK+.
Yeah, that's on my shopping list, the only Brave Axe+ user I've had since playing from day 1 and getting Camilla as one of my first 5* units is her, and she's been too useful to sacrifice. As soon as I get 20,000 feathers again, I'll be upgrading and then feeding Raven to Fred though. Hope he's hungry. :D

Firemind

Surely the point of a strategy game is to encourage various tactics depending on the situation? Infantry and armour are vulnerable to mages and fliers on maps with bridges, obstacles etc, but then fliers suffer on maps vs archers and cavalry suffer on heavily wooded maps too. While the cavalry stat penalty is offset by cavalry buffs, making a strong cavalry team stronger than the equivalent infantry one on open ground and more manouverable too, Infantry not being able to handle everything isn't a flaw when they have the largest variety of units including dancers and archers. Besides, dancers/archers seems like a viable setup on that map considering how many fliers are in play.
Until they release archers on cavalry lol

I didn't pull any of the top tier horses, fliers or archers, so this particular situation may just apply to me. I guess I could make a budget flier emblem.

I really just want Amelia though. Then I could make a decent armor emblem.

redcrayon

Until they release archers on cavalry lol

I didn't pull any of the top tier horses, fliers or archers, so this particular situation may just apply to me. I guess I could make a budget flier emblem.

I really just want Amelia though. Then I could make a decent armor emblem.
Fair enough, I wouldn't be surprised if we got cavalry/flier archers eventually.

It's also a tough map though- I'm not the best
player but I've got a pretty well-rounded 5* selection of 25+ units after playing since launch, and even I only just scraped through hard after at least a dozen attempts, tinkering with my setup each time. Do you have any kind of green tank to soak up Valter in combat? You might need to play with a bit of SI and the seals to gain an advantage, sometimes even adding a skill like lancebreaker or whatever so that an enemy hits you once more than twice make a huge difference. After each failed attempt I change one thing and then see if I last a bit longer, I found with this map I had my first two turns nailed down pretty quickly and after that it was a slow process to find who could bait and kill Valter with the skills available, allowing me to regroup to the south.

Yeah, that's on my shopping list, the only Brave Axe+ user I've had since playing from day 1 and getting Camilla as one of my first 5* units is her, and she's been too useful to sacrifice. As soon as I get 20,000 feathers again, I'll be upgrading and then feeding Raven to Fred though. Hope he's hungry. :D
If you have a spare Barst, he's better to upgrade to 5* because he can give a Brave Axe+, plus Reposition, which is the best movement assist IMO, especially for Cavalry units that can be hampered by Swap or Draw Back due to forest tiles.

Barst is actually a solid yet underrated unit too, so I wouldn't give him up if you plan on using him also and only have one, but if you've got a spare then that's who I'd suggest.

redcrayon

If you have a spare Barst, he's better to upgrade to 5* because he can give a Brave Axe+, plus Reposition, which is the best movement assist IMO, especially for Cavalry units that can be hampered by Swap or Draw Back due to forest tiles.

Barst is actually a solid yet underrated unit too, so I wouldn't give him up if you plan on using him also and only have one, but if you've got a spare then that's who I'd suggest.
Nice, thanks for the tips, I think I've overlooked him in favour of flashier units so far.

Nice, thanks for the tips, I think I've overlooked him in favour of flashier units so far.
There's a lot of good common units that are generally overlooked, but with some attention they can be awesome. And because they're more common, finding a good nature is much easier.

Golnei

There's a lot of good common units that are generally overlooked, but with some attention they can be awesome. And because they're more common, finding a good nature is much easier.

Think of all the Ests and Cherches thrown out without a second thought. Once, even Nino and Cecilia were in that category.

Sölf

Think of all the Ests and Cherches thrown out without a second thought. Once, even Nino and Cecilia were in that category.

Guilty as fuck. I threw away so many Ests. The dark days of trying to get Ninian and Reinhardt (the latter which I still don't have).

redcrayon

It's interesting as the focus has shifted from the initial endgame of a single arena team that instantly KOs as many enemy units in one round as possible. With events containing more maps with enemy units with inflated stat pools, even the less obvious cavalry units like Stahl and Sully can be great as the ruby/sapphire weapons can mean they take virtually no damage when exchanging blows with a weaker colour.

It's a much more interesting game now, I love it when I'm on the sixth or seventh arena assault match, have used most of my usual big hitters, and then have to dig deep and rediscover old units I haven't used for ages that are perfect in specific situations. It means they gradually build up SP and HM too, rather than just a handful of units that were maxed out ages ago.

Lelou

First time i'm not able to end a infernal run (valter).

I really don't have any bow user other than Clarisse.
so sad....

Jealous of all the Summer Corrins people are getting. I was lucky enough to pull a Hinoka forever ago (-Atk one but still) but these flying mages seem to be eluding me. Not sure why they're gating off that archetype. It's pretty unfair considering how readily available horse units are. Imagine we got horse mages once every 4 months, that'd be nutty. In a way I can see it's a sideways validation that fliers are the best archetype but even that doesn't make sense since red fliers are garbage compared to these beastly sword cavalry we've got (Xander being free). Lances are obviously more in fliers favour but horses got the monster that is Camus. Even the best axes aren't too much better although Minerva is pretty amazing. Fred is under appreciated and pretty great when skilled up. They also hide hone fliers behind a 5 star exclusive unit whose only been on 2 banners. What the hell, man? Fortify being on a 4-5* unit. Meanwhile horses get both buffs at 3 stars as well as some great units that can be built up as well (Cecilia and Eliwood). Cecilia is the green mage of horse emblem and they gave away practically the equivalent of the best 5 star exclusive horse mage in a GHB (Ursula and Olwen are very similar stat-wise and best blade time users). Don't forget officer tiny hands.

Why are they gatekeeping flier emblem so hard?

Should I try for Amelia, Seth, Innes, Tana, got a -SPD Innes or Celica Delthea?
I have a okay IV Sonya and an +ATK Gray, so dont need those.
>.<

Golnei

It's interesting as the focus has shifted from the initial endgame of a single arena team that instantly KOs as many enemy units in one round as possible. With events containing more maps with enemy units with inflated stat pools, even the less obvious cavalry units like Stahl and Sully can be great as the ruby/sapphire weapons can mean they take virtually no damage when exchanging blows with a weaker colour.

It's a much more interesting game now, I love it when I'm on the sixth or seventh arena assault match, have used most of my usual big hitters, and then have to dig deep and rediscover old units I haven't used for ages that are perfect in specific situations. It means they gradually build up SP and HM too, rather than just a handful of units that were maxed out ages ago.

I agree with it being a more engaging game now, with the addition of the round-based modes. The game couldn't have lasted as something focusing entirely on single matches and fixed-skill units - those two changes were the most significant in allowing it to make more of its setup and generally move towards being somewhat rewarding to play.

I still throw away Ests
and Ninos.

tumblr_oqmdamNm5M1t7xcv3o1_500.png

Mupod

Well, at least it's nice that every arena defense team isn't blade tome spring camilla/summer corrin.

But yeah, I did manage to get Corrin (my first limited unit ever) and now I'm sitting here waiting for them to put Hone Fliers in the game on something other than a 5*-exclusive. Mine's -atk so I'm even more desperate for it.

They've obviously been seeing the havoc that free-hero cavalry teams have been letting loose on game balance, so that could be the source of their hesitation. Galeforce flier teams are even more broken but that is only in the realm of super-whales so I'm sure they don't care.

Still doesn't explain why there's only two red fliers in the entire game and they keep adding more blues, though.

Mupod

well, cleared the normal mode of the new maps and got to 20 orbs. Tried on the Sacred Stones banner, got hype when I saw 4 blues but it was a bust - 4* donnel, draug, shanna peri and 3* sully. Nothing I need for SI (already have multiples of those characters) and everyone had terrible boon/banes. On the upside, the more common 4* rate is going to be very nice for conserving feathers. And I suppose an extra Threaten Def is actually nice since I've learned how amazing threaten skills are for autobattle teams.

On that subject Tempest Trial is moving along nicely. I'm around 130k now just casually autobattling for hero merit gains but I'm still moving up in rank steadily. Does anyone know what kind of point total you need for top 1000? Doubt I can reach it without 10+ stamina potions but man I'm desperate for feathers right now.

Trunx28

well, cleared the normal mode of the new maps and got to 20 orbs. Tried on the Sacred Stones banner, got hype when I saw 4 blues but it was a bust - 4* donnel, draug, shanna peri and 3* sully. Nothing I need for SI (already have multiples of those characters) and everyone had terrible boon/banes. On the upside, the more common 4* rate is going to be very nice for conserving feathers. And I suppose an extra Threaten Def is actually nice since I've learned how amazing threaten skills are for autobattle teams.

had the same plan .. wanted to snipe for greens and got .. 1st round 3 colorless, 2 red .. 4* Jakob. Try again .. 3 colorless, 2 red ... 4* Gordin (at least +atk) ... tried again ... 3 colorless, 2 red ... WHAT IS THIS! ... -hp+res 4* Priscilla. Last try ... 4 blue, 1 red .. 1 +atk 4* Donnel .. Oh well, at least some SI fodder and I'm training Donnel and Gordin now.

Roman

Just pulled a 5* Tana... but she's -ATK +RES. My luck is far from perfect.

Is she going to be viable whatsoever?

She can still be solid as an enemy phase unit with Vidofnir/Bonfire/Quick Riposte.

Obviously this is not remotely as great as her player phase builds.

PMS341

She can still be solid as an enemy phase unit with Vidofnir/Bonfire/Quick Riposte.

Obviously this is not remotely as great as her player phase builds.

No doubt. I was looking up some of her Firesweep builds and they seemed wonderful, but really needing +ATK or +SPD.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
My last Arena Assault opponent was a full whale Armor Emblem team with Amelia behind it. That was some serious bullshit.

Amelia/Hector/Effie/Zephiel

- Everyone had Distant Counter
- Amelia and Effie both had the armor march move
- Effie had Brave Lance+ too

All four armors just rushed across the map and cornered me before I could take them down. Didn't help that I was out of my heavy hitting units by then.

Of course that had to be my last opponent. Of course.

My last Arena Assault opponent was a full whale Armor Emblem team with Amelia behind it. That was some serious bullshit.

Amelia/Hector/Effie/Zephiel

- Everyone had Distant Counter
- Amelia and Effie both had the armor march move
- Effie had Brave Lance+ too

All four armors just rushed across the map and cornered me before I could take them down. Didn't help that I was out of my heavy hitting units by then.

Of course that had to be my last opponent. Of course.

If you see armor these days just quit. Not sure what they were thinking with Amelia, her stats are all just insanely high. At least with Effie/Hector you can OHKO with blade tomes or double them. Amelia can double you! Plus people run her with quickened pulse + Bonfire so if you hit her you get completely fucked up. I've only run into into teams with 1 armor march. 2 of them would be BS

If you see armor these days just quit. Not sure what they were thinking with Amelia, her stats are all just insanely high. At least with Effie/Hector you can OHKO with blade tomes or double them. Amelia can double you! Plus people run her with quickened pulse + Bonfire so if you hit her you get completely fucked up. I've only run into 1 armor march teams. 2 of them would be BS

what? armors are freebies in normal arena

spiritfox

+att -def Nino! It's not +spd but that's the best Nino outside of the +spd -res one I have. Too bad she's 3* so I need to have 22k feathers but she'll do until I get a +spd -def one (if I get one).

Sushen

No problem.

I disagree. I have brave axe+ Frederick which wrecks enemies. The problem is his res is laughable that's worse than most glass cannon mages against melee units. If you're good at evading gameplay and/or use him in horse team's buff, it's fine. Otherwise, you are getting yourself a powerful bench warmer.

I disagree. I have brave axe+ Frederick which wrecks enemies. The problem is his res is laughable that's worse than most glass cannon mages against melee units. If you're good at evading gameplay and/or use him in horse team's buff, it's fine. Otherwise, you are getting yourself a powerful bench warmer.
Didn't we have this exact same conversations a week ago? If your Frederick is being left in a mage's range, you're not utilizing him properly.

Frederick was the very first common character I promoted to 5*. I've completed all content in the game, and made it to the top tier of the Arena with him as a major part of practically every team. (And I don't run Horse Emblem.) None of his SI are from limited units or anything like that, it's simply leveraging his strengths, of which he has many.

spiritfox

I know it's a joke but I honestly wouldn't mind a flying healer. We got plenty of horseback healers.

Ashnard as a GHB would be amazing though. Same with the Black Knight.

I would love a flying healer Elincia if she has decent attack and speed. Throw WS on her and she'll be Elise but flying.

kewlmyc

If you see armor these days just quit. Not sure what they were thinking with Amelia, her stats are all just insanely high. At least with Effie/Hector you can OHKO with blade tomes or double them. Amelia can double you! Plus people run her with quickened pulse + Bonfire so if you hit her you get completely fucked up. I've only run into into teams with 1 armor march. 2 of them would be BS

What's the likelihood of the average player running into an entire team of units with Distant Counter though?

What's the likelihood of the average player running into an entire team of units with Distant Counter though?

I've run into it a few times in Arena Assault, luckily I can counter pick with Bride Lyn and a mage and a dancer and just pick them apart one by one. But then you had to have been lucky enough to have grabbed a Bride Lyn when she was available. At that time though Colorless was actually a great color to pull on since it also had Bride Cordelia.

redcrayon

To be fair if you're objecting to strong units because you can't OHKO them with blade tomes like you do other high-hp, powerful units, sounds like there's probably a fair number of other teams that think your setup is a bit strong too :D

Even relying on Amelia's armour march, armour teams have plenty of weaknesses. They can't all benefit from it, they don't have any ranged offensive power, they are weak to magic, weak on any map that splits formations up through terrain or deployment, and reliant on a skill that only works while Amelia is above a certain hp threshold.

Every strong unit has people complain about it at launch, when FE:H launched it was all about whether you had Hector and Takumi, now I rarely see the latter and only see the former in armour teams.

Sushen

Didn't we have this exact same conversations a week ago? If your Frederick is being left in a mage's range, you're not utilizing him properly.

Frederick was the very first common character I promoted to 5*. I've completed all content in the game, and made it to the top tier of the Arena with him as a major part of practically every team. (And I don't run Horse Emblem.) None of his SI are from limited units or anything like that, it's simply leveraging his strengths, of which he has many.
Yes, we have. I was pointing out that he's not an auto kill switch like some popular units and keeping him safe while maintaining him useful is pretty tricky. I tend to prefer easier to maintain units because he will never be my kill card. But, that's my preference.

The time limit stages seem to be about tanking and countering. I'm glad I 5* my Nowi a few weeks ago.

Firemind

I've encountered a few and usually it's a game of chess and wait until the AI breaks up the team so I can pick one off. Still hurts if you don't have the proper counters though. Armors just naturally have high bst. Add the team buffs and it's pretty filthy. In the past, armor emblems had to use subpar units like Draug, Sheena and Wendy. But now Amelia exists who has the highest BST in the game at 173, has excellent stats in atk, spd and def and has a useful weapon and unique skill to boot.

Oh and Amelia can use Renewal well to keep her healthy and fast.

Yes, we have. I was pointing out that he's not an auto kill switch like some popular units and keeping him safe while maintaining him useful is pretty tricky. I tend to prefer easier to maintain units because he will never be my kill card. But, that's my preference.
I don't think it's tricky at all, just need to kit him out in a thoughtful way. Of course everyone should do what's best for their play style, but I think calling him a bench warmer due to his low RES is not giving him a fair shake.

Roman

The time limit stages seem to be about tanking and countering. I'm glad I 5* my Nowi a few weeks ago.

Are you sure?

I've been fighting some Amelias the last few days but I run a full slow enemy phase team and my Ike has Triangle Adept so she's not any more dangerous than Hector to me.

Mupod

I ran into a merged Amelia + Tana combo with my 'big points' team and it got unexpectedly hairy. Even a hone speed buffed Fury 3 Ryoma couldn't double Amelia and I had to be mindful of Ignis. Not a big deal with my cavalry team as Xander/Eldigan take no damage from her and Cecilia straight up oneshots. I'll probably run them for the rest of my arena tour because I'm in T18 and I likely don't even need a perfect run to move up.

I'd like to know more about Tana's guidance skill as I've run into it 3 times in a row now. She's surprisingly durable and survived Hector with 1HP (think she had Pavise) allowing her to teleport over a Takumi, still didn't kill Hector but it was a bit scary. If for example she's in range of Hector but has a Sanaki within Guidance range, will Tana attack first or will the Sanaki teleport over and go for the kill?

What if it was a Linde instead of Sanaki? Linde would die on the counterattack, but would still do far more damage to Hector than Tana would if she went first.

lt519

Turn maps were fun, Titania destroyed the flier one and Xander was MVP of the armors on defense tiles.

Didn't force me to use anything other than horse emblem, but each map had a clear star.

kewlmyc

I've run into it a few times in Arena Assault, luckily I can counter pick with Bride Lyn and a mage and a dancer and just pick them apart one by one. But then you had to have been lucky enough to have grabbed a Bride Lyn when she was available. At that time though Colorless was actually a great color to pull on since it also had Bride Cordelia.

I've encountered a few and usually it's a game of chess and wait until the AI breaks up the team so I can pick one off. Still hurts if you don't have the proper counters though. Armors just naturally have high bst. Add the team buffs and it's pretty filthy. In the past, armor emblems had to use subpar units like Draug, Sheena and Wendy. But now Amelia exists who has the highest BST in the game at 173, has excellent stats in atk, spd and def and has a useful weapon and unique skill to boot.

Oh and Amelia can use Renewal well to keep her healthy and fast.

Starting to wish I didn't make my Hector +2 and just kept him for distant counter fodder.

Hopefully he shows up in another banner soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom