• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Warriors Review Thread

kromeo

I loved Hyrule Warriors so this was already going to be a must-buy for me, but glad to see it getting such good reviews! (I really need to buy a Switch)

Also surprised the Metro review is the outlier, and not the opposite, Warriors games are typically pretty niche so I expected this game to get middling reviews across the board due to the nature of the series, so I'm pleasantly surprised

Hyrule Warriors got a 76 metacritic and DQ Heroes got 77, this will likely end up around that area

That Metro review is hilarious. I don’t even know that website, but come on. This “series” has been ongoing for almost two decades, and people clamor for their different licenses crossovers. Clearly, people get enjoyment out of them.

You can enjoy a bad game, or you can criticise a game that might cause enjoyment.

You should also question *why* people enjoy the games. For instance, people enjoy grinding in RPGs, or beating the same enemy over and over for a rare loot drop. Does that mean these systems shouldn't be criticised as lazy ways of padding out a game just because they psychologically make people feel good?

Edit: Funnily enough, as I wrote that, this cropped up: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1449711

Dyle

Sounds good, the mechanical/tactical changes beyond what was in Hyrule Warriors seem pretty significant, so I'm looking forward to playing this eventually. Probably not until after I've gotten through Mario, Rabbids, and Xenoblade though since there are so few characters I care for. Hopefully Donnel is one of the DLC characters, fighting with various cooking implements rather than a lance

zelas

People who don't like a genre should not review things in that genre.
There is value in reviews by people who used to like a genre and are waiting for a reason to get back in. Letting people know this is not that game has value. Musou games used to have bigger audiences after all.

mindatlarge

That Metro review is hilarious. I don’t even know that website, but come on. This “series” has been ongoing for almost two decades, and people clamor for their different licenses crossovers. Clearly, people get enjoyment out of them.
I pretty much threw out their review when I scrolled down and saw this:

iXVbNjg.jpg

Looks like it's getting pretty good reviews outside of the Metro review. Seems like that reviewer went into the game with his mind already made up. I understand somes games aren't for certain people, but as a professional reviewer I think you should go into a game with an open mind. That said, it's just a review and there are plenty of other reviews that give a better indication of what to expect.

That Metro review made me laugh. Sure of course this game has not radically changed the Warriors formula but it has survived what almost 20 years and they keep on selling so. Still excited to play this on Friday.

if you pick casual or change to it midway. you can't change back to classic btw
well you can revive them anyway w/o changing mode at a cost after certain shop upgrade

I did not know that last tidbit, thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

After playing Echoes and becoming frustrated I think I won't be going back to classic anytime soon.

Astral Dog

I loved Awakening finished Hyrule Warriors and liked Fates yet i have almost hype for this game :/ good reviews but Pass.

Literally every excerpt there has something positive to say about either the characters or the story/plot. Seems praise-y to me.
I don't know, it doesn't really sound that praise-y to me when melodrama, middle of the road, lazy, awkward, etc are used, and how little is gone into talking about the story overall. "Heralded as captivating stories" sounds kind of funny in light of that. Though I guess captivating isnt inherently a positive thing.

Can we just sorta maybe I dunno accept that the 'modern' Fire Emblem games are worth playing despite a cast of characters and story filled with tropes and/or cliches? And subsequently Warriors might actually be cool too?

Is my stance here so controversial or something? I don't get it, Fates was/is fantastic so many varied and fun options for combat in lots of fun maps and way more production value than any Fire Emblem before it yet it's led to... this. Stupid back-and-forth in a thread about a different game entirely.

Can we draw a line here please? You're perfectly fine to detest video games but there are maybe more suitable times when this is appropriate.
Why are you always acting like you're being attacked? I didn't say anything about whether those games were worth playing or not. I saw something I thought was funny in the FEW GameSpot review and as usual, someone has to start making this a thing because the honour of the 3DS games is at stake or something.

There is value in reviews by people who used to like a genre and are waiting for a reason to get back in. Letting people know this is not that game has value. Musou games used to have bigger audiences after all.

"Dynasty Warriors has always been rubbish."

I'd say the reviewer has never liked the series from the get-go based on the above quote.

Some of the low scores are really unjustified imo. Its one of the best Musou games out there. The more I play it the more I feel its up there with Hyrule Warriors as the best example of the genre.

73 is a low MC score for it too.

"Dynasty Warriors has always been rubbish."

I'd say the reviewer has never liked the series from the get-go based on the above quote.

Yes, GameCentral has historically given the series a drubbing with every new entry - unless the series changes its approach to entertaining its players I can't see their perspective changing. And that's fine.

I don't know, it doesn't really sound that praise-y to me when melodrama, middle of the road, lazy, awkward, etc are used, and how little is gone into talking about the story overall. "Heralded as captivating stories" sounds kind of funny in light of that. Though I guess captivating isnt inherently a positive thing.

Why are you always acting like you're being attacked? I didn't say anything about whether those games were worth playing or not. I saw something I thought was funny in the FEW GameSpot review and as usual, someone has to start making this a thing because the honour of the 3DS games is at stake or something.

Seriously I think this will go absolutely nowhere and in this thread we should take the opportunity to put this to rest, unless we want the thread to have more of "lol modern FE haters" v "lol modern FE martyrs" rubbish.

I'll reiterate again, your hatred for these games is your prerogative, you're well entitled to that, just maybe take it down a notch or two.

I certainly don't care at all for your opinions of me so less of those s'il vous plait.

one of the biggest reductionisms on this game series that gets spread around, hell if i used that logic all mario games are the same (outside the 3d like ones, mario 64, galaxy,sunshine, that elk) and thus bring nothing new to the table and should be rated as shit ( Jim sterling goes over this point in one of his videos and its a good watch)
here is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDbb6OOSh7o
Thinking every mario game is the same doesn’t really work in the same context. Musou games are also lower quality releases even in the action genre (vs Character action or action RPGs)
Also, Jim did give a Mario (Kart) game a low score for being similar which doesn’t help his case much

Why are people suddenly surprised that critics, generally, don't like musou games?

That's kinda been a thing.

or or OR, maybe they were just hoping a crossover title would span more than the most recent releases.

You can't expect that anymore to be honest.

I really don't get the issues some are having with GameCentral's review on Metro.

Their negative perspective on the game is a perfectly valid one, and even with that score attached to the review you can still tell whether you'll enjoy it yourself.

If you like brainless combat where the games' systems aren't balanced to the point where you'll need to master them all the time then that's fine. But to the reviewer that's obviously a negative, and there's nothing wrong with that.

It's a tabloid so a bit of both.

GameCentral has been going since 2003, and before that, since the mid 90's.

It replaced Digitiser on Teletext as GameCentral, and was originally edited by Tony Mott (the same Tony Mott that launched Edge magazine). When Teletext folded, Metro took them in. Very little has changed since.

Aters

What's wrong with Metro's review? The reviewer explained why he doesn't like Mousou and I agree with pretty much everything he says.

Metro has always been harsh, and I like them for that.

Metro Gamecentral is a good place with good people. They know what they're talking about most of the time. Just here they don't like the game. I don't think they deserve to be pilloried, the review was exactly what I expected at least.

Sadist

Cool to see the responses; I’ll defintely get it... later. With Odyssey coming out next week, Doom shortly after that and Xenoblade 2... I’m already short on time. If FE Warriors has as much content as Hyrule Warriors, I just can’t find the time.

What's wrong with Metro's review? The reviewer explained why he doesn't like Mousou and I agree with pretty much everything he says.

Yeah, they've always used the full range of the scale and are critical for the right reasons.

Also worth noting that they were one of the few sources that criticised Paper Mario: Sticker Star heavily - ultimately reflecting the fan viewpoint on that game when people played it for themselves. It was well received elsewhere.

You'd think the review aggregate sites would filter those kind of sites out, that doesn't seem to be doing a favor to game journalism or the publishers/developers if it's not a fair review. I'm all for varied opinions but not straight up trash.

While I personally think every journalism site should be allowed to review a game, I do think review copies would have been better off being sent to the little guys as opposed to Metro.

I really don't get the issues with GameCentral's review on Metro.

GameCentral has been going since 2003, and before that, since the mid 90's.

It replaced Digitiser on Teletext as GameCentral, and was originally edited by Tony Mott (the same Tony Mott that launched Edge magazine). When Teletext folded, Metro took them in. Very little has changed since.

I did not know their history, thanks for that.

I don't really have an issue with their score perse, it's the author's writing style and lack of professionalism. I'm not a fan of Dynasty Warriors and their style of games, but I think I'd have done a better job portraying that idea.

Still I appreciate their review as it gives a different perspective.

Question for anyone whose played it: does this have any major Echoes spoilers? I'm trying to beat it before Friday, and I don't really want to ruin it for myself.

Yes, GameCentral has historically given the series a drubbing with every new entry - unless the series changes its approach to entertaining its players I can't see their perspective changing. And that's fine.

I wasn't suggesting it wasn't fine, I was saying that it appears they never liked the game in response to the other poster saying they're looking for a reason to 'get back in'. Doesn't really look like they were 'in' to begin with. I'm not familiar with their reviews, so all I got from that is they really don't like that style of game. I've never played a Dynasty Warriors game either, so I can't really speak to how 'repetitive and shallow' the gameplay supposedly is until I try the game for myself.

What in the world...

Well, people really will defend anything on GAF :p

If you hate racing games, chances are, you won't be reading Gran Turismo reviews. I certainly won't be reading multiple GT reviews, hoping to come across a review by someone who hates racing games like me. The whole idea is just silly.

I don't think there's much wrong with reviewing a game from the perspective of a person that previously didn't care for those specific types of games, as long as they contextualize it. "I have never cared for these sorts of games and this game doesn't change that" or something.

I do think the way the Metro reviewer dumped on all Warriors games is not the way to go about giving that review from a different point of view, but I do think it's valuable for people that either aren't fans because they don't like that genre of games or for players that don't know if they like that genre of game for whatever reason.

McNum

Question for anyone whose played it: does this have any major Echoes spoilers? I'm trying to beat it before Friday, and I don't really want to ruin it for myself.
It has one!

Celica is playable, but the History Mode map you have to complete to unlock her is based off the final map in Gaiden. Which is also the same map as in Echoes, only it's the 8-bit version in Warriors.

But other than that she's basically a guest star.

I enjoy musou when there's a good license attached.

I also always enjoy gamecentral (metro) musou reviews. Jenkins really doesn't like them and doesn't mince words about how he feels.

PK Gaming

Their opinion is fine, it's just presented in a juvenile and unprofessional manner.

mindatlarge

While I personally think every journalism site should be allowed to review a game, I do think review copies would have been better off being sent to the little guys as opposed to Metro.
Yeah, anyone can review a game, I'm not saying that. My thought was maybe there should be a stricter policy enforced by Metacritic and the like in terms of which sites they include in their aggregate scores. Evaluated by a certain degree of professionalism in their writing overall.

Top Bottom