• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fired Googler James Damore asks "Don't the KKK have cool names?"

How tryhard are KKK names?

Results are only viewable after voting.
v7RLuUV.png

Oh my god.

traveler

Not Wario
The first post was insensitive and shouldn't have been put on Twitter, but there is absolutely nothing employment terminating worthy or bigoted about liking the title Grand Wizard. He calls the KKK horrible and, later, villains. Furthermore, nothing he's said indicates a racist view. Are people that liked the clothing Hugo Boss put out back in WW2 supremacists? You can't be so trigger happy as to label everyone who says something even remotely positive about some minuscule detail of an evil organization a sympathizer to the movements ideals. That's just an absurd leap. Read the context, separate aesthetic discussion from philosophic, and apply some critical thought.

His subsequent tweets are pretty dumb however. Does he seriously think people actually are attracted to joining the KKK because of their titles? And what would even be the proposed solution to such a thing- that we introduce a Grand Wizard title into standard corporate progression so people can get their "cool title" fix elsewhere? Not only is such a thing impossible, the title would carry with it the baggage of being a position of power for supremacists. No idea what he's on about with that train of thought.

The first post was insensitive and shouldn't have been put on Twitter, but there is absolutely nothing employment terminating worthy or bigoted about liking the title Grand Wizard. He calls the KKK horrible and, later, villains. Furthermore, nothing he's said indicates a racist view. Are people that liked the clothing Hugo Boss put out back in WW2 supremacists? You can't be so trigger happy as to label everyone who says something even remotely positive about some minuscule detail of an evil organization a sympathizer to the movements ideals. That's just an absurd leap. Read the context, separate aesthetic discussion from philosophic, and apply some critical thought.

His subsequent tweets are pretty dumb however. Does he seriously think people actually are attracted to joining the KKK because of their titles? And what would even be the proposed solution to such a thing- that we introduce a Grand Wizard title into standard corporate progression so people can get their "cool title" fix elsewhere? Not only is such a thing impossible, the title would carry with it the baggage of being a position of power for supremacists. No idea what he's on about with that train of thought.

You're aware this is the guy who sent the memo around Google about women and minorities being inherently inferior, right?

This is just his latest fuckup

traveler

Not Wario
You're aware this is the guy who sent the memo around Google about women and minorities being inherently inferior, right?

This is just his latest fuckup

No I was not. That is far more damning and I should probably take some of my own advice and read a bit more critically then, as I had come away with the impression he was fired for this and not that.

I still think the tweet standalone is stupid and not worth the controversy, but as one of a series of incidents, it becomes evidence of some degree of sympathy with alt right types, if not wholesale identification. That memo incident told us all we need to know about this dude, though.

Cipherr

I remember when some people were trying to pretend this racist, sexist asshole isn't a racist, sexist asshole.

All that work for nothin

That thread was a million pages long with people looking to skew what this guy said.

This thread won't feature ANY of those people. They probably won't even click it. They knew then, but they saw a sliver of room for some deniability and couldn't help themselves. But NOW?

Yeah...

Slayven

That thread was a million pages long with people looking to skew what this guy said.

This thread won't feature ANY of those people. They probably won't even click it. They knew then, but they saw a sliver of room for some deniability and couldn't help themselves. But NOW?

Yeah...
funny how that works

Valhelm

contribute something
still can't believe Fired4Truth wasn't already taken by a CVS clerk who's really into healing crystals

Murkas

He looks likes a grown up version of the main kid in the Shut Up and Dance episode from Black Mirror. A right fucking gorm.

Do young people with tech silver spoons in their mouths avoid history classes as well as civics? Because it feels like a generation growing up with no perspective.

What he says is something my 8 year old might say before daddy puts his serious voice on and explains a little bit of history.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Do young people with tech silver spoons in their mouths avoid history classes as well as civics? Because it feels like a generation growing up with no perspective.

What he says is something my 8 year old might say before daddy puts his serious voice on and explains a little bit of history.
A lot of Silicon Valley types ignore the humanities in college, then wonder they fail in any social situation 9 times out of 10.

Kelsdesu

You make quite the point indeed about obtaining a well-rounded education, but in this individuals case he knows hes being a P.O.S.

Sheltered and privileged white men are susceptible to being influenced by bigoted messaging.

traveler

Not Wario
A lot of Silicon Valley types ignore the humanities in college, then wonder they fail in any social situation 9 times out of 10.

Yeah, I agree that STEM is practical and those fields are valuable to learn, but I get legitimately mad every time my coworkers make fun of liberal arts educations. You can't quantify everything and you get so much out of that side of the education.

Granted, a lot of these mistakes are things I wouldn't even expect someone with a high school education, much less college, to make.

Edit: What % of polls on GAF feature Thor 2: The Dark World as an option where it HASN'T won?

DrSlek

Well firstly those aren't names, they're titles. Secondly, they give themselves these titles to make themselves feel more important than they actually are. Would James think I were super cool if I gave myself the title of "Grand Viceroy of the Moon"?

ElFly

ah, but this is a good thing

imagine james damore was not a complete idiot regarding social situations? he would not have sent that memo and gotten fired; he could have climbed google and gotten himself in a position where he could do real damage

Sianos

you mean to tell me that the guy who's one piece of evidence for his big manifesto on gender differences was an outdated personality trait model from the seventies (that he probably vaguely remembers from a survey course elective) is exhibiting a pattern of over-valuing his poorly thought out attempts to give *not at all mediocre and uninspired* takes?

he's one of the most egregious examples of someone used to reciting buzzwords to get through life getting bopped by actual experts i've seen

"but i mentioned the 'big five', how could they say i'm wrong???" - when that is a really irrelevant model to cite

It's always someone else's fault.

Hypotheticals mean shit. Also if the comedian wrote a white supremacy memo before he'd get the same treatment.

He didn't write a white supremacy memo. He wrote a memo summarizing various findings on human sexual dimorphism, much of which was fairly uncontroversial in terms of group trends and bell curves, with some pretty bad policy ideas and more than one instance of bad social science. Hardly some daemon.

Man, isn't it cool how the KKK uses INCREDIBLY CREATIVE AND INVENTIVE NAMES like "Grand Wizard"?

I mean, wow, that's just the most magical and creative name I've ever heard. Seriously, that's top-line worldbuilding right there. I've never ever seen a read a book with more interesting names ever.

Accurate lmao

Garjon

For people wondering why the tweet was so bad, this guy has basically been courting alt-right nerds since getting sacked from Google. Reading between the lines, he appears to be recruiting nerds to the fucking KKK. If this was a famous comedian it'd be alright but he fucking isn't a comedian.

Top Bottom