• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fired Googler James Damore asks "Don't the KKK have cool names?"

How tryhard are KKK names?

Results are only viewable after voting.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I listened to this guy on a few podcasts and he just seemed like a hapless idiot. Smart about some things but totally clueless about society.

His whole point was "maybe the reason why women are underrepresented in tech is natural ability". And he seems to think that inclusivity initiatives only exist to correct for this natural effect which doesn't need to be or can't be corrected for.

Nowhere does he seem to understand that this is irrelevant. Diversity initiatives are to encourage a balanced workforce... whatever the reasons. Because it's good for company to be diverse. Let's say there are reasons why women are less interested in tech.... big whoop. Overcome those reasons. You will make better software with a more representative slice of humanity.

I guess on topic the KKK names post is very in keeping with how dimwitted he is socially, but I wouldnt agree with some "secret Nazi!!" view. He's just a dope.

I mean, I get you can talk about "cool" aspects from bad things or people. But the people who want to talk about them, always end up being bad people themselves.

Case in point.

TheContact

Merlin is cool. Gandalf is cool. Being some racist in a white hood pretending to be a wizard is lame AF. In his defense he starts off by saying the KKK sucks and just thinks the names are cool, but given the trouble he got into he should be more careful about the topics he talks about. For the record, did anyone here even read his memo that got him in trouble?

I listened to this guy on a few podcasts and he just seemed like a hapless idiot. Smart about some things but totally clueless about society.

His whole point was "maybe the reason why women are underrepresented in tech is natural ability". And he seems to think that inclusivity initiatives only exist to correct for this natural effect which doesn't need to be or can't be corrected for.

Nowhere does he seem to understand that this is irrelevant. Diversity initiatives are to encourage a balanced workforce... whatever the reasons. Because it's good for company to be diverse. Let's say there are reasons why women are less interested in tech.... big whoop. Overcome those reasons. You will make better software with a more representative slice of humanity.

I guess on topic the KKK names post is very in keeping with how dimwitted he is socially, but I wouldnt agree with some "secret Nazi!!" view. He's just a dope.

He's partnered with the alt-right.

Free Speech is the mutual contract. He never condones the alt-right, seeks their protection, and moderates their arguments without thinking about alternatives. He may as well be.

BocoDragon

Free Speech is the mutual contract. He never condones the alt-right, seeks their protection, and moderates their arguments without thinking about alternatives. He may as well be.
I think he's writing a book now? So go where the audience is I guess. :p Gotta milk that 15 minutes of shame.

TheContact

At least on the Joe Rogan podcast he said he wasn’t sure why alt righters supported him as he didn’t share the same beliefs as them. I don’t think this guy is an alt right racist nazi I just think, despite his intelligence, he’s a fucking idiot

I'm just saying Anakin the Sith has some pretty cool title and outfits.

Of course they are bad but you have to admit that they are also cool.

collige

Banned
Merlin is cool. Gandalf is cool. Being some racist in a white hood pretending to be a wizard is lame AF. In his defense he starts off by saying the KKK sucks and just thinks the names are cool, but given the trouble he got into he should be more careful about the topics he talks about. For the record, did anyone here even read his memo that got him in trouble?

Even if the names were cool (which they obviously aren't), his argument still makes no sense. People not acknowledging the coolness of the KKK lore is going to somehow make innocent kids more likely to get recruited? What kind of person who really really likes using fantasy names is going to choose to join the Klan instead of just LARPing or some shit?

I feel like he heard someone talking about how the SS were, admittedly, well-dressed, proper villains and extrapolated that to the KKK.

The problem is the KKK, in addition to being contemptible racist twats, are also ridiculously dorky fashion victims. It's not that people refuse to acknowledge their "positive aspects", it's that they're completely lacking in them.

BocoDragon

If those names weren't from the KKK they'd be the name of ranks in some dorky fantasy novel, so no, they would never be cool.

Oberon

Banned
This isn't even a "you know at least the Nazi dressed cool"
Because those names aren't cool at all.
What a dumbass

What?? KKK name sounds trashy and cheap. They love the shitty 3-letter acronym so much that they deliberately misspell the word "clan", you know, just to be cute about their horrible criminal racism. Guess "Coo Clux Clan" wasn't kool enough for them.

llien

Even if the names were cool (which they obviously aren't), his argument still makes no sense. People not acknowledging the coolness of the KKK lore is going to somehow make innocent kids more likely to get recruited? What kind of person who really really likes using fantasy names is going to choose to join the Klan instead of just LARPing or some shit?

It's hard to understand what on earth he was trying to say.

The only non-pro-alt-right spin I could imagine in parts of this is making "moralizing an issue" the main point, when "you can't criticize good guys because they are the heroes" and "you can't notice genuinely cool things because they are associated with bad guys".

Sex, drugs and parents can be borderline understood similarly.

His last statement about "pushing into KKK" has no "not pro alt right" interpretation, as far as my imagination goes.

Joe Rogan? Or do you mean Damore

I'm saying this is the alt-right's method for posting blatantly bigoted shit while simultaneously maintaining the "plausible deniability" of wanting to engage in an honest exchange of ideas. "I'm not saying I support the KKK, I'm just asking questions."

Basically, it's the new dog whistle.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I'm saying this is the alt-right's method for posting blatantly bigoted shit while simultaneously maintaining the "plausible deniability" of wanting to engage in an honest exchange of ideas. "I'm not saying I support the KKK, I'm just asking questions."

This was what made it really obvious to spot GamerGators on here years ago. “Hey guys, I don’t know what this but have you heard about it? I think they got some good ideas, just saying”

L Thammy

If we were in an alternate universe where the phrase didn't have a KKK association, sure, Grand Wizard would be a cool character class in a D&D game or something.

But it does have a KKK association. And while you may not sympathetic to the KKK, you're still the guy who hears about the Grand Wizard of the KKK and thinks "oh man I wish I was a grand wizard" and not "holy shit these are some horrible people" or "why the fuck does the KKK still exist". That is not the guy you should be proud of being.

Also, when someone points out that this is the person you are, you probably shouldn't be the guy who gets self-righteous about the fact that you're so apathetic and vapid.

BlastCore

Banned
White supremacists love there dumb nerdy names. Maybe they turned racist because of all the times the jocks stuffed them in lockers?

Fergie

Banned
Right. That isn't my point. I asked why. I don't know James Damore. All I know is he said something that seems like a throwaway comment comparable to, "Nazis are horrible but they sure did have a cool color scheme."

It's why I was curious.

I mean it just seems like the guy is just jokingly saying that being dubbed, "a grand wizard" is pretty cool.

I guess he's done something in the past to get him immediate vitriol, so I'll just bandwagon and hate on him like the rest. :p

This "I don't know this person but I'll defend him to death while hinting I do know something about him" is beyond pathetic.

So much disingenuous shit sometimes.

Indeed.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Dude ain't slick
aqXG5SH.png

����������

The fuck does that even mean?

Theonik

I was reading this doujinshi the other day that used the term. A Wizard in Japanese slang is a male virgin over 30. The story alleged that a virgin over 40 is promoted to grand wizard and is sent to a fantasy realm.

Also that guy is a piece of shit.

L Thammy

I'm kind of curious as to if you'd be able to recruit these people into an anti-racism organization of some kind by having job titles like Warlock, Eldritch Knight, Blackguard, and Thaumaturgist. But I also don't want to be involved at an organization that is recruiting people that stupid.

I was reading this doujinshi the other day that used the term. A Wizard in Japanese slang is a male virgin over 30. The story alleged that a virgin over 40 is promoted to grand wizard and is sent to a fantasy realm.

Like this?

SkyOdin

Dude ain't slick

The fuck does that even mean?
It sounds like the guy is a hardcore D&D fan, which might shed some light on his thought processes. I ama fan of tabletop gaming, but you don't have to look far to see a whole ton of problematic and toxic sides to the hobby. Misogyny and racism were buried deep in the roots of the hobby, and it remains a hobby where large segments of the fanbase rabidly resist change. A decade ago, when I still heavily followed forums dedicated to D&D, there were still people regularly having discussions about whether or not male and female chatacters should have different stat bonuses and other similar topics. I have no doubt that there are still D&D websites where that is still a common subject of discussion.

FranF

Banned
A decade ago, when I still heavily followed forums dedicated to D&D, there were still people regularly having discussions about whether or not male and female chatacters should have different stat bonuses and other similar topics.

I don't mind if a stat based roleplaying game wants to realistically depict average strength differences as long as they don't portray us as made of kleenex

edit: lol I wish I just hadn't actually come back to read through this thread after class

Ourobolus

Banned
I can just imagine rolling characters with this dude

James: All right I'm a Human Paladin
Ouro: I'm gonna go with...Half-Orc Barbarian
James: Why would you do that? Humans get better racial traits. You should know better than that.
Ouro: But...I like playing as a Half-Orc...
James: Fuck this I'm going home and putting on my robe and wizard hat

Top Bottom