• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fired Googler James Damore asks "Don't the KKK have cool names?"

How tryhard are KKK names?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Is this marketing for his upcoming Patreon?

Call me when Louis CK gets fired for a memo criticizing the hiring of women and minorities, accusing their lack of success on their underdeveloped brains.

I have no doubt he will be swaddled in Koch/Mercer cash. Wingnut Welfare ain't just a funny term.

Esiquio

Assuming you aren't being sarcastic, this might be a good joke if it was coming from someone who was demonstrably against the KKK and other white supremacist groups. From someone like this guy it just sounds like praise veiled with "ITS A JOKE GUYS".

Right, I understand this position. But I'm not sure I've seen him be demonstrably for the KKK and other white supremacist groups...so the joke stands? For instance, say you made this joke, and you were, in my mind, a neutral party that had neither demonstrated behavior for nor against said parties. How do you think I would take that joke? How do you think I should take it?

Slayven

Right, I understand this position. But I'm not sure I've seen him be demonstrably for the KKK and other white supremacist groups...so the joke stands? For instance, say you made this joke, and you were, in my mind, a neutral party that had neither demonstrated behavior for nor against said parties. How do you think I would take that joke? How do you think I should take it?

Dude followed up the joke by saying we should look at the positively of the KKK

xenist

I'm so shocked at this development. I mean who could imagine that someone who'd complain about the plight of the white man in this PC world would turn out like this?

What? No. You cannot genuinely think that he supports the KKK based on that tweet, c'mon.

They both share a fondness for misinterpreting actual sciences, and the propogation of pseudo-science.

But I am truly sorry your power-animal turned out to be a milkshake duck. Truly, I am

Edit:
For instance, say you made this joke, and you were, in my mind, a neutral party that had neither demonstrated behavior for nor against said parties. How do you think I would take that joke? How do you think I should take it?

The real question is what in this idiot's recent past would lead you to give him the benefit of the doubt?

kirblar

DKLrgt_WkAABV7f.jpg
Here's more context.

He's a shithead.

Draft

Triggered, snowflakes? :smugface

Every goon that thought Google overreacted by shitcanning this numbskull is hiding in shame.

While people are right to mock him for making a stupid point
I mean, the obvious response is "yep, racism is an issue that people do and should moralize, and it's suspicious that you're suggesting this is a problem"
, the whole "why do people refuse to praise anything racists do" shtick is very real, very unfunny, and very much a factor in driving white people to align their POV with racists.

And the people who know their voices will be heard who participate in spreading that kind of shit are the worst, because they ensure that this shit gets propelled into the national conversation.

I'm glad companies are realizing that they have a responsibility to dissociate from this kind of behavior (and don't just fire them but treat them as unhireable), and I'm hoping it becomes a practice that we start to see happen without the need for public input in the first place.

But obviously that doesn't discourage anyone from doing something outrageous to build a wide audience of sympathizers, and then using social media as a platform to keep pushing BS out to that audience that they eat up and take up for themselves. We gotta figure out what we can do about that. This guy may seem like a joke, but he's part of a serious and disturbing pattern of normalized racism.

Real talk but this guy is kinda scary. He's smart so I can see anyone wanting to hire him politics wise to help the Republican party in some way.

And the DNC is still way too far behind when it comes to using technology to get people's attention.

Slayven

Okay let me rephrase this: What about this tweet is significant to be a thread? What context am I missing here?
It is a follow up to a news story and gives farther context. Pretty obvious
If you don't think something isn't worthy of being in a thread you can always take it up with a mod.

Alienous

He isn't cut out for this. He just seems like an awkward person trying to indulge a largely awful audience.

He'd be doing himself a favor by quietly fading back into obscurity, I think.

SyNapSe

It seems he's trolling for attention.

I mean.. his loss. Real life isn't 4chan. You'd think the Shkreli situation would've been a good example of why you don't assassinate your own character for the lulz IRL.

Slayven

It seems he's trolling for attention.

I mean.. his loss. Real life isn't 4chan. You'd think the Shkreli situation would've been a good example of why you don't assassinate your own character for the lulz IRL.

Shreli at least has money, this dude killed any chance in his chosen field. He might be book smart, but beyond that he is dumb

Whompa02

It is a follow up to a news story and gives farther context.
If you don't think something isn't worthy of being in a thread you can always take it up with a mod.

Right. That isn't my point. I asked why. I don't know James Damore. All I know is he said something that seems like a throwaway comment comparable to, "Nazis are horrible but they sure did have a cool color scheme."

It's why I was curious.

The fact that we're having a discussion or people are saying this guy is an asshole doesn't mean you have to do jackshit. It's a fucking freeworld.

I mean it just seems like the guy is just jokingly saying that being dubbed, "a grand wizard" is pretty cool.

I guess he's done something in the past to get him immediate vitriol, so I'll just bandwagon and hate on him like the rest. :p

The Wart

You know, there was a stage where it was conceivable that he genuinely meant well and was just kinda clueless, and that Google overreacted by firing him.

That stage didn't last long.

Slayven

Right. That isn't my point. I asked why. I don't know James Damore. All I know is he said something that seems like a throwaway comment comparable to, "Nazis are horrible but they sure did have a cool color scheme."

It's why I was curious.

So instead of googling you come in the thread you come in saying "Why should i be mad?". I could understand if you came in with "Who is this?" or "Whats this about?" instead using phrasing that typically is used to shut down or sidetrack discussion

I mean it just seems like the guy is just jokingly saying that being dubbed, "a grand wizard" is pretty cool. I guess he's done something in the past to get him immediate vitriol, so I'll just bandwagon and hate on him like the rest. :p

So you didn't come in on good faith?

Arkeband

Banned

It's why I was curious.

I mean it just seems like the guy is just jokingly saying that being dubbed, "a grand wizard" is pretty cool.

Making fun of the KKK's ridiculous (or "cool", as some see it) names is such a played out joke that this guy would have had to have lived under a rock his entire life to have not already heard this discussed.

And considering how he's been scrutinized and how he's run into the open arms of white supremacists since his firing, this is quite literally the stupidest thing he could ever "wonder aloud" over social media.

He's a total dipshit. Maybe he got into Google because he's some coding savant, but apparently that came at the cost of any social skills, common sense, and a conscience.

collige

Banned
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_Klux_Klan_titles_and_vocabulary
Klaliff – vice president
Klokard – lecturer
Kludd – chaplain
Kligrapp – secretary
Klabee – treasurer
Kladd – "conductor", in charge of initiating new members
Klarogo – inner guard, serjeant-at-arms
Klexter – outer guard
Nighthawks – couriers
nvisible Empire – this designation included both the Klans geographical domain – up to "the whole world" - but also in a "spiritual sense" all the secrets and workings of the order. All things outside this empire were designated the Alien World and non-members Aliens.[33] The Klan was a military organization and its commander in chief was the Imperial Wizard, whose power was supreme "within the limits of this constitution" and whose edicts, decisions and rulings were binding on all members of the order.[34] He had a staff of Fifteen Genii.[35] The Empire had an assembly or convention known as a Klonvokation.[36]
Realm – was carried over from the Reconstruction prescript, but it was no longer restricted to the Southern States; any state or territory of the United States could become a Realm, and Realms were also given a number based on the date of organization of the Realm. The convention of the Realm was designated the Klorero[37] The president of the Realm remained the Grand Dragon; the other officers were collectively known as the Nine Hydras.[38]
Province – in the new Klan, a Province was construed as "a county or number of counties" designated by the Grand Dragon. There were a maximum of six provinces per realm, but the Grand Dragon could create more with the permission of the Imperial Wizard. The Provincial convention was the Klonverse. The chief officer of a Province was a Great Titan, and the other officers were known as the Seven Furies.[39]
Klan – the basic unit of the Second Era KKK was known simply as a Klan. Its area of jurisdiction was a Klanton which was defined as "extend[ing] in all directions to a distance midway between the location of the Klan and the nearest Klan thereto" unless otherwise directed by the Grand Dragon or Imperial Wizard. The chief officer of a Klan was an Exalted Cyclops and the subordinate officers were known as the Twelve Terrors.[40]
There's nothing cool about any of this shit lmao. This dude just keeps failing Wisdom checks.

Dude Abides

Banned

Why do you keep saying it's a joke? He's not joking. He thinks Grand Wizard is a cool name.

Maddness

This guy is a total piece of shit, but looking beyond that...

Why does he look like some candy that's been sitting out in the sun just a tad bit too long and is starting the process of slowly melting?

I could understand an isolated "I wish cool titles like that weren't associated with the damn KKK." But given the guy's infamy and the fact that he doubles down comparing the Klan to drugs and sex in a "they're secretly kinda cool" way. At BEST the guy is just terribly tone deaf.

Joni

Let's be clear. Yes, they have the best names. But you might not need to invest so much time in marketing when you aren't pure evil and you have an actual worthy goal. That is why you don't need cool names when you are for instance black lives matter.

Enzom21

It's why I was curious.

I guess he's done something in the past to get him immediate vitriol, so I'll just bandwagon and hate on him like the rest. :p
Ah, disingenuous bullshit. I am willing to be you know exactly who this piece of shit is, you're just not brave enough to say you agree with him.

Rayis

Google did the right thing in firing him, also fucking lol at right-wing media calling his memo "pro-diversity"

Top Bottom