• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefly premiered 15 years ago today

AoM

Firefly-Cast.jpg

On September 20, 2002, a new show titled Firefly premiered on Fox. It wouldn't last long, with Fox airing only 11 out of 14 episodes. And as most know, many of those eleven were aired out of order. But even with so few episodes, it was able to develop a world and characters that would, and will, be remembered years later.

Favorite character

It's pretty hard to choose, huh? I think for me it's probably between Mal and Inara. I like both of their characters individually, but also their dynamic and relationship together.

Favorite episode

So many strong episodes. I'd go with either ”Our Mrs. Reynolds" or ”Objects in Space".

Keep flying, guys.

Keasar

Take my love, take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sky from me
Take me out to the black
Tell them I ain't coming back
Burn the land and boil the sea
You can't take the sky from me

There's no place I can be
Since I've found Serenity
But you can't take the sky from me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaLPpKCC9pg

b67f0bb5c38e0064fd0e78023ce2a204.jpg

:(

One of the greatest and unjustifiably early killed shows I know. As soon as someone invents the Rick portal gun, find the dimension where Firefly didn't get cancelled please.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
This was the first TV show that I ever binge-watched and still one of my favorite shows of all time. I've given up on the idea of it ever coming back, but I wish someone would take a chance on a new show similar in concept to it

Patryn

It's irrational, but I'm still a little bitter at all the people who gush about how much they love the show or what a travesty it was that it was cancelled, but they never watched it when it aired.

I was there, and even on the Fridays I went out I recorded it on my VCR.

I still remember the Out of Gas video that they threw on the internet begging people to watch the episode because it was in mortal danger at that point.

dl77

Yeah, I loved Firefly. Gutted it got cancelled because the broadcaster did such a poor job with it.

I really liked the fact that it didn't treat Inara as a second class citizen, despite being a sex worker, quite the opposite in fact. Though recent revelations may make me revisit the character!

Can't believe that the film's over 12 years old now as well!

adj_noun

The good news: the Firefly Online game recorded a bunch of original content with the main cast (everybody except Gina Torres who had scheduling conflicts; they even threw Niska in there).

The bad news: Firefly Online crashed and burned before release, and the odds of anyone ever hearing said content seems dimmer by the day.

All we have left are tiny clips on the Firefly Online youtube channel.

Ron Glass recording Shepard Book ;_;

Trago

Looking as some old clips, this show's design and stuff aged pretty well. Some of the effects too!

God, this makes me want a new space western TV show with a good budget.

Teh Lurv

I remember catching the "pilot" when it originally aired on Fox. Back then, I was pretty hungry for new sci-fi series. Kids don't know how good they have it today with dozens of sci-fi series available through Netflix/Hulu/etc.

I thought the "pilot" was decent, so I brought it up to my friends: "Hey I just watched this new show on Fox, it wasn't half bad." Everyone poo-poo'ed it and dismissed the show out of hand. Fast forward a year, my college schedule meant I missed most of the remaining episodes and I ultimately lost interest in the show. Meanwhile, Firefly fandom was exploding and everyone who didn't listen to me were jumping on the band-wagon. I did have one friend who admitted he had to eat crow for not taking my initial advice.

Violet_0

Banned
best episodes: Out of Gas, Objects in Space
worst: Jaynestown, Heart of Gold

I'd say the show was at it's worst whenever it took the space western theme too literally, except for the train robbery episode because that one is great

As unfortunate as the premature death of this show was, we got a 50 million dollar film as closure, which is pretty spectacular.

FYI, I picked up the 15th Anniversary Blu. It’s pretty slick and priced reasonably.

They can say Jayne died between seasons.

I dunno, considering Browncoats are more or less Space Confederates fighting the Lost Cause the idea of the cast having a regressive dipshit in the mix makes a lot of sense.

I never want this show to come back in any form. I loved what was there, I loved the conclusion it miraculously received. It lived its brief, shiny life in exactly the place and time it was meant to.

Obligatory link to Movies With Mikey on Serenity.

Grisby

Favorite character: Kaylee- She's just so sweet and down to earth. Girl's also an awesome spaceship mechanic.

Favorite episode: Out of Gas- Pretty emotional episode and it speaks a lot to the show that I was able to care so much about the cast in such a short amount of time.

"Y'all gonna be here when I wake up?"

Gets me every time.

-griffy-

Banned
And to think, it's only the 5 year anniversary of being able to look back completely fondly and unironically on this show without things being tainted by reaction to Age of Ultron or....that...other stuff.

AAK

Loved this show, one of my all time favorites.

Favorite episodes are the finale and the episode where they carry out the heist in the government hospital.

River and the Priest were the coolest for me.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Best TV show ever.

Favourite character: Initially it was Mal, but now I think it's Zoë. Her deadpan wit is amazing. She's secretly the funniest character on the show!

Favourite episode: I hesitate between Out of Gas and Jaynestown. Our Mrs. Reynold and Ariel are up there too.

I dunno, considering Browncoats are more or less Space Confederates fighting the Lost Cause the idea of the cast having a regressive dipshit in the mix makes a lot of sense.

I never want this show to come back in any form. I loved what was there, I loved the conclusion it miraculously received. It lived its brief, shiny life in exactly the place and time it was meant to.

Obligatory link to Movies With Mikey on Serenity.

Realizing this has made thinking about the show pretty uncomfortable ever since, tbh.

LakeEarth

It's irrational, but I'm still a little bitter at all the people who gush about how much they love the show or what a travesty it was that it was cancelled, but they never watched it when it aired.

I still remember the Out of Gas video that they threw on the internet begging people to watch the episode because it was in mortal danger at that point.

I was there dude! I WAS THERE!

Realizing this has made thinking about the show pretty uncomfortable ever since, tbh.

Eh, it's not a good comparison because the Confederacy was about enslaving people and the browncoats have no similar connotations. There are probably dozens of more fitting states to compare them to.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I actually saw the movie before I ever watched the show.

Liked them both a lot.

The broken Chinese was cringy as fuck. Who thought that was a good idea?

It's an attempt to produce portmanteau between English and Chinese as a result of the those being the two nations who traveled from Earth to the new system together.

Eh, it's not a good comparison because the Confederacy was about enslaving people and the browncoats have no similar connotations. There are probably dozens of more fitting states to compare them to.

Yeah. Browncoats more closely resemble the US Colonies revolting against British rule since the war in Firefly was about the planets in the Outer System not wanting to be controlled by the Inner System's Federation.

Everyone hyped Firefly up to me as an amazing show. I watched it and it didn't live up to the hype so I don't really care too much for it. I wonder how I would feel about it if I had watched it without anyone telling me about it in such a grandiose way.

Esiquio

Out of Gas continues to be one of my favorite episodes of TV. So good, glad I watched that show cold with no expectations or spoilers.

Favorite Character: Shepard Book. I always thought he was the most interesting character morally. Runner-up would be Kaylee, because she's super cute and of course is an amazing character (As is most of the cast really).

Favorite Episode: Unfortunately, I haven't watching in quite a while, so a lot of the episodes meld together, particularly because I binged it in like, 2 or 3 sessions. I should probably rewatch it.

Fox handled the release so poorly that you really can't blame people for missing it.

They clearly wanted this show to die and they did everything in their power to make that happen.

Top Bottom