• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atomic Heart is the biggest disappointment of the year and I just can't understand why it was so well received...

Drizzlehell

Banned
The only other game that has the potential to be an even bigger disappointment this year is Starfield, given the immense hype surrounding it. However, if that one turns out to be good, then Atomic Heart will likely end up being one of the most sour gaming experiences I've had this year. It may not be the worst game to come out, but I had exceptionally high expectations after watching the amazing trailers. Unfortunately, the flashy visuals are pretty much the only aspect I can compliment the developers for, and it's a bit baffling to me why so many people are being so positive about it...

The story simply falls flat, and I despise the dialogue and voice acting to the point where I constantly wanted to mute the audio to avoid enduring any more of that annoying drivel. All that exposition would have been better served as shorter text and audio logs. I mean, why not? The game already borrows every Shock-flavored trope under the sun anyway. If the developers truly wanted to innovate, they should have prioritized better writing instead of elongated and mostly aimless conversations between the most abrasive and annoying cunt on the planet and his pet glove.

The cutscene direction is also among the worst I've seen in recent years, as they are tonally inconsistent, poorly paced, and even the character dialogue feels rushed, often resulting in characters talking over each other—not in a natural way like people sometimes do in real life, but rather because the dialogue lines were too long, leading to the next one starting before the previous one ended. It was even more comical when the same character interrupted themselves.

Then there's the gameplay, which I just fucking hate with a passion. Every passing hour playing the game felt like running through a field full of rakes. Each step that I took off the beaten path was rewarded by getting slammed in the face with a stick. It's just impossible to focus on your objectives, which are already pretty obtuse, when you have to constantly look around for cameras and those annoying flying fuckers that resurrect everything that you kill. Plus the game is really stingy with resources so after a while, instead of trying to explore and engage in combat, I just started sprinting past everything just so that I could get this stupid shit over with. I don't know about you but that doesn't sound like fun at all. To top it all off, melee combat is awkward, and it takes an eternity to kill anything, making it a lousy fallback option.

The entire experience feels soulless too, by the way. It borrows the aesthetic of 60s Soviet retro-futurism and boasts impressive visual and animation work that's well-polished, making for a really impressive spectacle sometimes. However, the further I progressed into the game, the stronger my impression became that it was merely a hodge-podge of various ideas that were nicked from different video games and science fiction works. There is no consistent, overarching vision or message behind any of it. It feels more like a "throw shit at the wall and see what sticks" kind of game. Let's just say that I couldn't feel invested in any of it, and none of the elements elicited any significant emotional reaction beyond the initial, "huh, that's neat... and also strange that it's here." Like those fungus zombies with their heads split-opened that look like The Last of Us rejects. I guess they look neat but what the hell does that have to do with the robot uprising?

Anyway, that's probably like 5/10 for me. Maybe it would change had I finished the game but it was so goddamned long and my patience can only last for so long...

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This game isn't even worthy of licking dog shit off of Bioshock's boot soles.

I guess I am far less critical of the game. The biggest issue I had was that I basically had to download the full game data 4, 5 times over because of all the week 1 patches.

Sleepwalker

Worth $5? Or maybe free on Epic?
No GIF

DonJorginho

Banned
Such hyperbolic bullshit. Atomic Heart was awesome, the Royksopp intro alone was 10/10 and the rest of the game delivered too, with few caveats.
The intro was needlessly slow and filled with cringey dialogue and even worse delivery, it hits every single trope of the genre within it's runtime, as if the devs were simply ticking boxes as they went along in development, giggling in glee every time they thought they did a "bioshock".

The open world is synthetic and cheap feeling and the "dungeon" design is so damn lacking. Gunplay/combat in general is nothing but jank, none of the game's mechanics gel in a meaningful way, enemy designs albeit pretty cool begin to feel familiar even in the short amount of time I had with this title, the narrative was mind-numbingly poor and the characters were some of the worst I had seen in a long while, every single character felt like a rip-off of far better characters in other games, and the VA for every one was piss poor and grating on the ears, even changing to Russian audio didn't fully remedy this problem.

The visuals were pretty nice, audio was okay and it ran well on all platforms which is commendable but given the levels of hype surrounding this game's launch and the amount of promise this title shown throughout it's development, I can't help but come away bitterly disappointed and feeling like there was a much better game left on the cutting room floor along the way of it's long winded development cycle.

Denton

Not sure what OP means. It's an alright game with an alright reception.

On steam it has 85% positive, OP is in fairly small minority.
The intro was needlessly slow and filled with cringey dialogue and even worse delivery, it hits every single trope of the genre within it's runtime, as if the devs were simply ticking boxes as they went along in development, giggling in glee every time they thought they did a "bioshock".
Subjective stuff, I loved the intro and playing in RU/CZ, didn't find the dialogue anymore cringey than 99% of american production.

Mozzarella

Well received? wtf
I agree its disappointing, because the hype didnt meet the expectations but the game wasn't hailed as some masterpiece.
It's just an average game imo, it has major flaws but has few strengths that managed to keep me engaged until i finished it.
I'd say any rating between 2/5 and 3/5 is reasonable in my book, going higher or lower you must explain why.

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

It’s alright, my biggest disappointment was the lack of HDR. I’d be pretty pissed if I didn’t get the game through game pass. People might blame UE4, while a lot since the the PS4 Pro didn’t have HDR there are plenty of others that did. I dunno what it is, a lack of talent or a lack of HDR monitors. But even Japanese devs lately have been adding HDR to their UE4 games, and they have been slow to adopt it for the longest while. So Mundfish, get with the program and add it. An immersive game like this needs it.

kiphalfton

Melee weapons are the most powerful weapons in the game though...

And no, the devs were not stingy with resources. I had like 1k+ rounds for the shotgun, assault rifle, handgun, and dozens upon dozens of Fatboy rounds by the time I beat the game. If in doubt, use the fucking energy weapons or melee weapons.

I'm not saying it's a great game by any means, but some of your complaints don't really make sense. Either you suck at the game, or didn't understand that weapons can be upgraded.

There's a lot the devs need to work on, namely:
- Get rid of locks
- Improve level design
- Minimize NPC dialog and audio/written logs
- Improve powers
- Streamline upgrading weapons
- Redo map interface altogether
- Rework weapon wheel
- Remove Batman detective vision

Hot5pur

I found the game to be incredibly shallow and boring.
The art and world building was nice though, but it did try to mimic bioshock a bit too much.
Uninstalled after about 1 hour.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
First I've played dev build of the game, which you can't finish without dev tools and cheats. It was a mess, obviously. Now I'm playing finished and patched version. The thing is, I can't say anything at all about what's in the game after the first science complex, cuz I finished it in dev build and decided to buy and play finished version at some point to play more of the game, which I did. So, what I saw and experienced in the game so far is great, there is a few visual bugs here and there still, even after dozen patches, but other than that I've no complaints and it's a blast to play. I can't say anything about the rest of the game yet, but if there'll be a lot more to say about it which'll be worthy of it's own thread, then I'll do it.

Also, to understand dialogues and everything around them you just need to know Russian and Russian culture in general, otherwise you just won't get even 1% of what was said, referenced etc., cuz it's simply impossibe. And I don't mean Putin's fascist russian culture of 100K insane fucks at best in the whole country, I mean normal, civilazed, compasionate and adequate people Russian culture. You also just can't translate russian curse words and meanings to other langueages at all, so it's impossible to even understand why there's so much of it and the impact of it in dialogues.

There's something like that in the Metro and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series as well, but far more of it in Atomic Heart just cuz it's a much less depressing game overall and writers done way more with dialogues, funny lines etc. to make some of them feel dumb and stupid intentionally - cuz the main character is stupid af idiot - again, intentionally, but you can't understand it without knowing how Russian millitary works and why it's so stupid and dumb but funny af at the same time.

I'm from Russia, as some of you know already (or known years ago), but don't think that cuz if I'm from Russsia and this is a game made by Russian devs, I'll have biased oppinion about it, no, if I don't like something about the game, if it'll disappoint me in the end and all that, I'm gonna say it how it is cuz that's what I always do... for better or worse. Language and culture barrier will still be a thing with this game for all none Russian speaking people though, there's nothing I can do about that.

But that's all I'm gonna say for now.

Last edited:

Salz01

Melee weapons are the most powerful weapons in the game though...

And no, the devs were not stingy with resources. I had like 1k+ rounds for the shotgun, assault rifle, handgun, and dozens upon dozens of Fatboy rounds by the time I beat the game. If in doubt, use the fucking energy weapons or melee weapons.

I'm not saying it's a great game by any means, but some of your complaints don't really make sense. Either you suck at the game, or didn't understand that weapons can be upgraded.

There's a lot the devs need to work on, namely:
- Get rid of locks
- Improve level design
- Minimize NPC dialog and audio/written logs
- Improve powers
- Streamline upgrading weapons
- Redo map interface altogether
- Rework weapon wheel
- Remove Batman detective vision
I pretty much agree. I liked The game, but probably won’t replay it again because of these flaws listed out. I would play a second one that hopefully improves on these points in a heart beat.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Yeah i tried it. Love bioshock, and the trailers looked amazing. But yeah, you just spend so much time in that first bunker, the story is a mess so far. Nice graphics, and combat has a nice weight to it, but ultimately rather boring. Probably going to delete it

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
The only shit I didn't like about it was this... formula of theirs... it was repetitive. I also think infinite respawning robots was fucking annoying as fuck, in some instances.
The boss fights were fun, tho. The visuals and sound design were great, more so the visuals. I didn't care for the story, too much, but it was interesting enough.
I would give it a 7/10.

Also, to those who put it down early, it's a slog to get it started, and if you make it through a certain amount of the beginning, it opens up more and becomes more inviting. I even found an exploit on my own(maybe it's by design?) where I abused infinite respawning robots to max out some good shit in the beginning. I don't blame anyone for giving up on it prematurely, the starting stuff is rather poorly executed.

Last edited:

Alan Wake

I'm torn. I liked the visuals and the art design, although they basically stole parts from BioShock. I had issues with the gameplay, though, which felt rough to me and I never got into that nice flow I usually do i good FPS's. Which means I did not have that much fun with the game.

Ywap

I didn´t read the whole post but i found the game very bland.

Mediocre story, enemies respawning too fast for exploration to be worth it in the more open areas (just to find some upgrade materials in the copy paste houses)

At least it was polished and didn´t stutter.

Maybe a 4/10?

mrmustard

Banned
Intro was too long with cinematic shit, but otherwise the game was great. If i da to rate it: 82/100

Last edited:
I found the game to be incredibly shallow and boring.
The art and world building was nice though, but it did try to mimic bioshock a bit too much.
Uninstalled after about 1 hour.
An hour isnt even...playing the game lol
I swear I live in the bizarro gaming age.

To me, TOTK looks like shallow, archaic, non storyhaving, run around aimlessly and build shit bullshit. Whereas atomic heart looks like it actually has ambition. Creative enemies and atmosphere. And looks like agame that came out in 2023. Unlike the games people are loving these days.

But hey I havent played it yet. I just think TOTK looks like a ps3 era aimless wondering game for casuals who think they are hardcore because they cant be bothered with a story and like doing the same repetitive shit over and over with simplistic mechanics. Like souls popularity.

Thats where were at with gaming I guess.
Wonder if atomic heart is like cyberpunk where its kinda better than alot of games, but held to a higher standard lol

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
An hour isnt even...playing the game lol
I swear I live in the bizarro gaming age.

To me, TOTK looks like shallow, archaic, non storyhaving, run around aimlessly and build shit bullshit. Whereas atomic heart looks like it actually has ambition. Creative enemies and atmosphere. And looks like agame that came out in 2023. Unlike the games people are loving these days.

But hey I havent played it yet. I just think TOTK looks like a ps3 era aimless wondering game for casuals who think they are hardcore because they cant be bothered with a story and like doing the same repetitive shit over and over with simplistic mechanics. Like souls popularity.

Thats where were at with gaming I guess.
Wonder if atomic heart is like cyberpunk where its kinda better than alot of games, but held to a higher standard lol
Do you complain about Zelda in every thread you go to, regardless of what game is actually being discussed, is that your thing?

Drizzlehell

Banned
Well received? wtf
I agree its disappointing, because the hype didnt meet the expectations but the game wasn't hailed as some masterpiece.
It's just an average game imo, it has major flaws but has few strengths that managed to keep me engaged until i finished it.
I'd say any rating between 2/5 and 3/5 is reasonable in my book, going higher or lower you must explain why.
Yes, it stands at very positive on Steam and it has a metacritic score in like high 70s. That's not a score that an "average" game gets, unless you're one of those people who considers 7/10 to be a disappointment.

daninthemix

I couldn't make it more than 15 minutes before dropping it and realising "ah, I've played this many, many times before".

KungFucius

King Snowflake
The game was OK. It had good moments and while the dialogue didn't really work for me, it was supposed to be cheesy 80's action flick like. It's definitely a game that was ambitious and just needed a little more quality. I am sure the follow up will be better.

I had zero expectations going in and am not sure how an unknown quantity like this game could have been a major disappointment.

Top Bottom